Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

interrodactyl posted:

rap4 comes with sanwa parts

i dont mind the buttons but the stick really sucks rear end vs a sanwa jlf. it has a much longer throw distance to the corners or something and because the shaft is really shallow and spring holding it in is loose any pull at all causes the entire stick to pull up... aside from that its nice, i like the pads on the bottom positioned for your knees and the cord cubby is really huge which is appreciated compared to a lot of other sticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

cams posted:

yeah, the first week of the game, i was getting tons of people v triggering right in front of me. i think a lot of people just thought it was a free cancel.

That's also a thing, but we're talking about the v-reversal. If the move they tried to trigger it on recovers fast enough you can just toss them before the actual reversal attack comes out. Some poor Karin I was in a mirror match with tried to use v-reversal after blocking j.mk and got thrown to end the match.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Which one, was there a non-Hayabusa version of the HRAP v4?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm so frustrated and angry at myself now. I'm trying to implement the stuff that I've learned, but I'm getting literally nowhere in Ranked at all. Like it feels as if learning that stuff has made me worse at the game even though I know that's shouldn't be true. I want to think it's Laura that's the problem, but that's a goddamn moron's way of doing it and I'm not sure what I can do to /actually/ get better.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm so frustrated and angry at myself now. I'm trying to implement the stuff that I've learned, but I'm getting literally nowhere in Ranked at all. Like it feels as if learning that stuff has made me worse at the game even though I know that's shouldn't be true. I want to think it's Laura that's the problem, but that's a goddamn moron's way of doing it and I'm not sure what I can do to /actually/ get better.

What specifically is the issue? Intermediate level stuff needs to be honed in a specific way if you don't already have 10+ years of experience working for you. If you don't mind watching an insufferable twat prattle on, Juicebox does the best videos I've seen about how to use training mode correctly for adding specific things to your repertoire.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You are basically at the point where you know what needs to be done, but its not second nature to implement it yet. This is going to be the hard part where you grind it out but it will pay off in the end. Don't get necessarily concerned with ranked and maybe try casual matches for a bit as well.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

To get better you will lose. A lot.

And then you will lose a lot more.

Just part of the process.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yorkshire Tea posted:

stop playing ranked. please. you are actively interfering with your growth as a player by playing ranked. find people with good connections in battle lobbies, or play casuals.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

And find a goon you have a good net connection with and play sets with them. I find having very little downtime between matches and seeing the same gameplay for a while makes it easier to work on things.

And if they're way better than you, just take one thing you're working on that day, like landing a certain punish, and count it as a victory whenever you manage that much. It'll still be really valuable practice.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Evil Canadian posted:

You are basically at the point where you know what needs to be done, but its not second nature to implement it yet. This is going to be the hard part where you grind it out but it will pay off in the end. Don't get necessarily concerned with ranked and maybe try casual matches for a bit as well.

You're right of course. It was just really demoralising since I managed to hit 1445 (in the video where I then lost four times in a row) and thought I was actually on a trajectory upwards and then lost a tonne of games, often to people who weren't necessarily playing better than me.

Woozy posted:

What specifically is the issue? Intermediate level stuff needs to be honed in a specific way if you don't already have 10+ years of experience working for you. If you don't mind watching an insufferable twat prattle on, Juicebox does the best videos I've seen about how to use training mode correctly for adding specific things to your repertoire.

Three (maybe four) things, the first is that I'm not reacting to poo poo on the screen nearly fast enough. The first, there are times when a Nash has basically had free pressure on me because he's just launched into, jump forward, safe blockstring, jump forward. I know that I should be anti-airing the jump ins like crazy, but my brain isn't realising it and is just defaulting to blocking them which loses me the game. I have to consciously realise what he's doing, adjust my game to stop it. By which point he's stopped doing it of course.

The second is that I still don't know the frame advantage/disadvantage on the opponent's moves. I know to use lights more, I've been doing it, but I just get completely hosed on footsies, especially when I'm against a Karin or a Chun, since they appear to run my Mk and Hk but better.

The third is that off my BnB Cr. Mk xx Lp. Elbow, if I get the throw, I don't know how to appropriately pressure a quickrise. I've searched online and there doesn't appear to be a resource indicating what I should do in this situation. But once they cotton on, my most powerful mixup is gone.

The fourth, more minor thing is that because I'm so reliant on Cr. Mk I will go to it a lot more than I should. It's slow to come out and isn't the best punish which often means poo poo people do that isn't safe ends up being safe. Whilst I think it's most minor it's also probably the most difficult to deal with because my autopilot keeps going for it and I'm not sure how to reprogram it.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
I straight up can't do footsies.

I assume I get the idea but I stick out a limb when they're just walking into range and always lose the trade. I don't know what else to do. :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep, the v-reversals are strike immune, but they are not throw immune.

Even Vega's??

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I think it's really really dumb that lobbies don't give you anything, and you have to go through the really lovely FT1 ranked or casual modes to get a penny of fight money. I barely touch either and play nothing but FT5 with randoms or friends, but I can't even afford a single story mode costume yet with the dosh I have.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I think it's really really dumb that lobbies don't give you anything, and you have to go through the really lovely FT1 ranked or casual modes to get a penny of fight money. I barely touch either and play nothing but FT5 with randoms or friends, but I can't even afford a single story mode costume yet with the dosh I have.

They don't want people throwing games in lobbies. This hurts their business model. There will be more options to earn Fight Money later according to Capcom.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Fellblade posted:

I straight up can't do footsies.

I assume I get the idea but I stick out a limb when they're just walking into range and always lose the trade. I don't know what else to do. :(

You're doing the footsies wrong. You cannot stick a limb into a place where they are going to be and have them enter that space and still beat you. There are a few options to explain what's happening to you:

1) The move you're doing is so slow that they have entered the space already and hit you with their move before it comes out, in which case you either need to press the move even faster or pick a better move.
2) The move you're doing doesn't actually reach to the space where you think it does, so the opponent is sticking out their move and hitting your move with it. Pick a better move or change your mental definition of where the right space is.
3) The move that the opponent is doing as they enter the space where your move is alters their hurtbox such that it exits the space (think of it as if you do a sweep and they do a move that makes them hop over the sweep). In this case you're being outfootsied, and must git gud.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Zand posted:

lol at this sentiment

the possibility of dying from chip forces people to make snap decisions. having offensive options and capabilities limited while giving the defensive player a buff is anything but exciting. it makes any comeback less exciting.

You know what game rules and has no chip death? I mean, people might be surprised to hear me mention this game, but it's a game from the island nation of Japan called JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE.

But the difference is that's a game with fast walkspeeds, sliding/dashing cr.jabs jabs for most of the cast that lead to instant startup tick throws with a 1 frame (sameframe +1 after) tech window, guard cancels, and for the person with more health, most supers have some startup invuln...and you can start a tandem and leave it empty (press no buttons) just to get that window/etc.

So a comeback in that has to be worked for more, because if you try anything, the guy with the life lead has about a dozen options.

Fayk fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 27, 2016

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I think you get 1k fight money per level up on each character. I would guess they could give a pretty small amount of EXP for lobby matches without losing a lot of revenue. An amount that would be useful over the very long run but really inefficient to just trade wins for. I'd like that.

I like that I've got fight money for two characters and a bit more from the tiny story mode and some survival (though I hate survival). I'm expecting we'll get a somewhat similar amount for completing the "cinematic story mode" when that comes. But I'm still afraid it'll be easy to get about 4 characters and then slow suddenly to a grind after using up the one-time things.

Hydrocodone fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 27, 2016

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

You're doing the footsies wrong. You cannot stick a limb into a place where they are going to be and have them enter that space and still beat you. There are a few options to explain what's happening to you:

1) The move you're doing is so slow that they have entered the space already and hit you with their move before it comes out, in which case you either need to press the move even faster or pick a better move.
2) The move you're doing doesn't actually reach to the space where you think it does, so the opponent is sticking out their move and hitting your move with it. Pick a better move or change your mental definition of where the right space is.
3) The move that the opponent is doing as they enter the space where your move is alters their hurtbox such that it exits the space (think of it as if you do a sweep and they do a move that makes them hop over the sweep). In this case you're being outfootsied, and must git gud.

I appreciate the breakdown, it helps, I know it's git gud so I guess I'll watch the replays and see what was happening.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Fellblade posted:

I appreciate the breakdown, it helps, I know it's git gud so I guess I'll watch the replays and see what was happening.

Just remember that #2 is really true for this game. While every fighting game has weird times where a character's vulnerable space (hurtbox) doesn't match their on-screen appearance, this game has a LOT of that compared to most. (see: sweeps going through their legs, etC)

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

What's usually the goal with footsies?

With Cammy I sHK things I think I can predict and jump-ins for the chance at crush countering. I poke with either sMK for its long range or cMK for the chance to cancel into special if my reactions are great. But when I want to catch their attack with mine (that's the only thing called footsies, right?) I'm not sure if I want HK for crushes, cMK for cancels, or something else for something else like just adding a little damage.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fayk posted:

You know what game rules and has no chip death? I mean, people might be surprised to hear me mention this game, but it's a game from the island nation of Japan called JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE.

But the difference is that's a game with fast walkspeeds, sliding/dashing cr.jabs jabs for most of the cast that lead to instant startup tick throws with a 1 frame (sameframe +1 after) tech window, guard cancels, and for the person with more health, most supers have some startup invuln...and you can start a tandem and leave it empty (press no buttons) just to get that window/etc.

So a comeback in that has to be worked for more, because if you try anything, the guy with the life lead has about a dozen options.

Also if Jojo's had chip kills some characters could just jumpdump meter when you're at 50% and chip you out lmao

Pomp fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 27, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hey Agoat gimmie your digits in PM and I'll hit you up whenever i'm in your neck of the swamp

Sorry, just sent you a PM! It'd be cool to have you come out. Some of us could make a trip out to Tampa for whatever, too!

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Hydrocodone posted:

What's usually the goal with footsies?

With Cammy I sHK things I think I can predict and jump-ins for the chance at crush countering. I poke with either sMK for its long range or cMK for the chance to cancel into special if my reactions are great. But when I want to catch their attack with mine (that's the only thing called footsies, right?) I'm not sure if I want HK for crushes, cMK for cancels, or something else for something else like just adding a little damage.

footsies is a catch all for standing next to someone and hitting buttons in close proximity. It originates from SF2 where people would catch ryus(or other characters i guess) sweep with one of their own by standing inside/outside of his range and hitting his sweep on recovery. most people use the term to express great skill in counter-poking other peoples button presses, ie when you hear mike ross say it its always because he landed a s.hk with honda when someone stuck out a jab or some poo poo.

The goal is always to be standing at a range where they cannot hit you with anything meaningful and you have higher risk/reward on your buttons.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Pomp posted:

Also if Jojo's had chip kills some characters could just jump meter when you're at 50% and chip you out lmao

I assume you mean 'dump' meter, but if not let me know. That said, I agree - since Jojo's is a game where a lot of 'normals' when you have a stand out cause chip (but counterpoint: blocking with your own stand does not take chip, just meter on your standcrash/guardbreak).

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Yorkshire Tea posted:

You're right of course. It was just really demoralising since I managed to hit 1445 (in the video where I then lost four times in a row) and thought I was actually on a trajectory upwards and then lost a tonne of games, often to people who weren't necessarily playing better than me.

Three (maybe four) things, the first is that I'm not reacting to poo poo on the screen nearly fast enough. The first, there are times when a Nash has basically had free pressure on me because he's just launched into, jump forward, safe blockstring, jump forward. I know that I should be anti-airing the jump ins like crazy, but my brain isn't realising it and is just defaulting to blocking them which loses me the game. I have to consciously realise what he's doing, adjust my game to stop it. By which point he's stopped doing it of course.

The second is that I still don't know the frame advantage/disadvantage on the opponent's moves. I know to use lights more, I've been doing it, but I just get completely hosed on footsies, especially when I'm against a Karin or a Chun, since they appear to run my Mk and Hk but better.

The third is that off my BnB Cr. Mk xx Lp. Elbow, if I get the throw, I don't know how to appropriately pressure a quickrise. I've searched online and there doesn't appear to be a resource indicating what I should do in this situation. But once they cotton on, my most powerful mixup is gone.

The fourth, more minor thing is that because I'm so reliant on Cr. Mk I will go to it a lot more than I should. It's slow to come out and isn't the best punish which often means poo poo people do that isn't safe ends up being safe. Whilst I think it's most minor it's also probably the most difficult to deal with because my autopilot keeps going for it and I'm not sure how to reprogram it.

Okay so bear in mind I'm not a particularly good player but I can tell you stuff that actual good players told me. In the first case it sounds like you're getting the empty jump, jab jab re-jump Ryu that will be haunting Ultra until the servers go down. Until you've represented that you can anti-air and they learn their lesson (they might not), dash under instead of just eating poo poo until you inevitably get opened up. This is something you can practice in training while waiting for a match. Just record that exact string and some mixups and hone your reactions. Don't try to anti-air the first jump in, here. Block it, wait to see what the next action is, and react.

Like you've observed, it's really a mental thing. The first step is realizing that "okay this is what's happening to me". I know it's not super encouraging to say "oh you just have to do X" when you perceive the problem as "I'm not doing X", but if it helps this is the sort of thing that only has to click once in a real match and you'll never miss it again. Try to remember that what they're doing is actually just being terrified of being on the ground and not really any kind of sound pressure.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

teagone posted:

CWC is only a ranking event, not a premier one, so whoever wins doesn't automatically get a spot in the Capcom Cup, if that's what you meant. They just get a sizable chunk of CPT points.

OH cool yes that's what I meant.

:siren: DAILY RANT ABOUT HOW SURVIVAL MODE IS A PAIN IN THE rear end FOR VEGA :siren:

Laura I thought we were friends... When did you suddenly get combos and put me in the corner to grapple me down?
I really wish I could skip the first 35 stages.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Survival should really be a series of 20-character fights on progressively harder difficulties instead of just getting longer and longer

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/haunts/status/703372557836156928

https://twitter.com/haunts/status/703372724215762944

I am not sure if he is serious or not.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
If people missed it (not sure if it was linked):

quote:

Hey everyone! With the weekend almost here, I wanted to give you another update on the improvements we’ve made to Street Fighter V and what to expect in the coming days and weeks. Hit the jump for more info!

Disconnecting Players (aka Rage Quitters)

Yes, we are well aware of the problem of players disconnecting before the match ends to retain their League Points and their win streaks. Thanks to all of the players who have brought this to our attention.

We are working on a permanent solution to this problem, though we don’t have an exact date to share with you at the moment. That said, we are going to take direct action starting next week to punish those players who are abusing the system.

This punishment will be severe for the worst offenders, but we will need the community’s help with this. We will follow up with more details next week, but over the weekend, please record every instance of rage quitting you encounter. The best way to do this is to use the SHARE function on the PlayStation 4 after the match has concluded, though any video evidence will suffice (Twitch archives, local recordings etc.).

Matchmaking

Much like the last update, matchmaking for both Ranked and Casual modes is working as intended for most users, but we do understand this is not the case for some players in Europe, the Middle East and various other regions. Several improvements were made this past week that should have decreased the wait time for many users in those territories, but we will continue to monitor the situation and will provide updates when additional improvements are made.

That’s about it for today. Once again, if you have any feedback, please leave a comment here on Capcom Unity or shoot a tweet over to @SFVServer.

Thanks for your support and look for more updates next week!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I sent him one of mine and he liked it. All I could ask for.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I wish they would address the asymmetrical lag problem.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Starting a new tutorial series about the fundamentals of footsies. Here's part 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDbFJn2i_w

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Jmcrofts posted:

Starting a new tutorial series about the fundamentals of footsies. Here's part 1:

good poo poo, like that you showed the usage of s.mk as anti c.mk which is pretty universal in this game. very good info for new players

FightingStreet
Oct 21, 2012

Take it to the bank, boys.
Btw jmcrofts, thanks for that Karin video the other day. I feel like I have a much better grasp on that matchup now that I know how to counter her main approaches.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jmcrofts posted:

The next time one of my non-fightgame friends asks me what footsies is, I'm going to link them this video.

You're doing some drat good work over there.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
here's a better source than jmcrofts on footsies

http://sonichurricane.com/?p=691

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I sent him one of mine and he liked it. All I could ask for.

just did the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NScv_S9-Kq8

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

this is cool because both players are clearly justt god damned awful

it's like watching a bit with the clowns and a ladder

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ranked is hosed. i'm all warm after a lobby session and ranked won't give me anyone to play as a nightcap. i'm searching for any/any and still getting nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

NecroMonster posted:

this is cool because both players are clearly justt god damned awful

it's like watching a bit with the clowns and a ladder
just wait til i label the pile of matches i uploaded, gonna be a giant post of one awful player whooping the poo poo out of another awful player.