Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: Yeah, grabbing one of my art books, they specifically mention the Nekobold's originate from Nay Island and the entire joke is that their name is a portmanteau of Ney Island Kobold.

Huh, all this time I was under the impression that it was Nekobold because of some previews I read back in 03.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i haven't gotten to shadow hearts yet but i've been playing koudelka and it rules

https://a.pomf.cat/ltzsjk.webm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Huh, all this time I was under the impression that it was Nekobold because of some previews I read back in 03.

It's written as Nekobold and obviously the reason for it is "we wanted to make a Nekobold joke", they just justify it in-canon as them being Kobolds from Nay which is why they're cats instead of dogs. Which is probably unnecessary but god knows that if someone can add an extra layer of joke to a pun name in a Japanese game they will.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I can see why they didn't since it only really works if you know the Japanese word for cat, but then again how many people playing that game wouldn't?

There's a character in the game who uses Japanese words and refers to her brother as Anisama

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

The Colonel posted:

i haven't gotten to shadow hearts yet but i've been playing koudelka and it rules

Koudelka's pretty rough to play but the atmosphere and music in that game is real good and I remember it somehow having some of the best voice acting in games.

You should definitely play Shadow Hearts too and do combat with various disgusting abominations and the occasional giant pink cat.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

You like choices, don't you?

We've also met the undead. They're smashing!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I really wish Shadow Hearts was playable on modern anything. I have all the discs but they're a pain to emulate, my PS2 is dead and all these conversations really make me hanker to replay them.

I've been slowly playing through the Shadow Hearts series and pcsx2 seems to emulate my discs just fine. I couldn't bring all of my consoles across the border when I emigrated so its my only way to play them. Are yours damaged or something?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Half the maps in Revelations are in a completely new dimension so no. Please don't refer to that terrible reddit chart if you are.

I was actually going by the old FE thread here. I have no idea what reddit chart you're referring to.

Still, I suspect the download size will be around the same as Birthright was for me.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
I have a question for anybody who's played the witcher series.

Does the combat get better in the second or third? Because right now it feels more or less like a more complex fable game. If it gets more playable I might have to speed run the witcher to get to the second one like I did with Mass Effect. - I apologise if I'm asking in the wrong thread, but I'm sure it falls under RPG anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The combat is different in 2+3, I guess it's better too but still not great

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

it gets better, and is still really bad.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GulagDolls posted:

it gets better, and is still really bad.

It becomes tolerable in 2 and 3.

But you don't play them for the combat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

itsjustdrew posted:

I have a question for anybody who's played the witcher series.

Does the combat get better in the second or third? Because right now it feels more or less like a more complex fable game. If it gets more playable I might have to speed run the witcher to get to the second one like I did with Mass Effect. - I apologise if I'm asking in the wrong thread, but I'm sure it falls under RPG anyway.

The combat is simpler in the second and third, playing more like like an action game and less like a QTE, but I wouldn't say it ever becomes good

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014

Mokinokaro posted:

It becomes tolerable in 2 and 3.

But you don't play them for the combat.

Of course not, However, at my stage of the game (Chapter 2 - 9 hours in) Combat is a large chunk of the game and I'd imagine it will continue to be. I'm really enjoying the character development of side people, and the story is to my liking so far. My only negative points are the combat and voice acting, and possibly that Geralt is needlessly twatty to the ferryman.

E: thanks to everyone who's offered an answer, I wont get my hopes up too much, but I'm sure I'll find a way to continue enjoying the game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Honestly I'd recommend skipping to 2.

The first game is almost completely ignored by the sequels since it was basically fanfiction written around the fact they could use certain characters in game.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
I'm still enjoying 1, don't get me wrong. I think it might be worth getting through 1 to understand some of the lore and even alchemical ingredients.

Contrary to this
<<
I do actually enjoy reading.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

At the very least, the Withcher 3's combat is less of a pain of an rear end, because you only have to make potions once, and you can consume them in combat.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I stopped playing Witcher 3 because it's so long, and there is so much fighting, and it never becomes enjoyable. The skill trees are a joke and the fighting never becomes anything but a shallow chore. The world is enormous but there's not much to do except gathering herbs and fighting monsters and bandits. I much prefered the smaller scale in 2 since the game never outstayed its welcome. The story might be decent but around twenty hours in it just felt like a bunch of filler. The questline for finding the bard was excrutiating. There are better ways to get the player acquainted with a new area except a dozen fetch-quests interspersed with random battles against random mooks!

"Thank you Geralt, but your daughter is in another city!" - Witcher 3

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 28, 2016

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Everyone should play the first Shadow Hearts for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6Zo2dFqyc&t=113s

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Action Jacktion posted:

Everyone should play the first Shadow Hearts for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl6Zo2dFqyc&t=113s

I knew what that would before even clicking the link!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I... uh...
Pick your favourite typos.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

buttfly

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

I... uh...
Pick your favourite typos.

They're Grrrrrrrasses.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

How do you weave clogs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Zereth posted:

How do you weave clogs.

Very carefully.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The noble and glorious buttfly is no typo.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is trails of cold steel less wordy and slow paced than trails in the sky? i got bored of all the dialogue in TitS pretty early but the battle system was fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

baram. posted:

is trails of cold steel less wordy and slow paced than trails in the sky? i got bored of all the dialogue in TitS pretty early but the battle system was fun.

It's a bit faster paced but still very wordy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Both TitS and ToCS seem to be using their first game of the trilogy as a prologue that slowly and gently introduces the setting and characters so they can tell a more conventionally dramatic story in the following games. It's even been noted that CS is basically the first episode of an anime, plotwise, with 90% of it being the first half of the episode that sets the scene and establishes the existing relationships. So... yeah, it's slow and wordy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

baram. posted:

If you don't like text heavy JRPGs then you won't like this series. Most people I've seen tend to love the characters and setting but can't stand the gameplay of TitS so it's a little funny to see the opposite opinon.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Really enjoying this Chinese RPG on Steam that I cannot remember the name of for the life of me. Gate of the Firmament is the subtitle I think. It reminds me of Jade Empire, which makes me want a new Jade Empire.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

does skies of arcadia give you a permanent fourth member/let you choose from the gang or does it stick with vyse/aika/fina and a rotating slot for the entire game? i don't mind the latter but it helps decide what i should do with my moonberries.

e: also do you do anything with the crew members you recruit specifically or does the ship just become better for having them around?

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 29, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

does skies of arcadia give you a permanent fourth member/let you choose from the gang or does it stick with vyse/aika/fina and a rotating slot for the entire game? i don't mind the latter but it helps decide what i should do with my moonberries.

e: also do you do anything with the crew members you recruit specifically or does the ship just become better for having them around?

Rotating slot until right at the end, where you can decide who you want for your fourth member for the final dungeon. More crew members means more options to use in ship battles, which you're going to want.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

your fourth member has fewer super moves so i'd generally get them their first one and prioritize the main party. someone will tell you to get justice shield from enrique but that's some serious babby strats

every crew member gives you either an ability or a passive for ship battles, and many of them open neat features like shops or custom decorations for your base

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The more Chinese RPG posts there are, the more I want to buy it. It's so deliciously earnest.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The more Chinese RPG posts there are, the more I want to buy it. It's so deliciously earnest.

Same. It looks charming and endearing despite the inevitable jank and bad translation. Plus, a setting like that needs to be in more video games than just Jade Empire.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Apparently that Chinese RPG is part of a long series that even has a TV show
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/28/25-year-long-xuan-yuan-rpg-series-marks-first-english-localized-entry-steam/

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey so since Bravely Second is coming soon, I have to ask-- I got to Chapter 6 in BD and put the game down (or possibly tossed it softly across the room in disgust, don't recall) once I figured out what everybody spoilertagged around when it came out. Is it worth finishing? Is there interesting story that's relevant to Bravely Second? Because the idea of repeating everything doesn't really sound fun or interesting to me in and of itself.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The only thing I can think of that might be relevant is Tiz is a baby god or something.

I'm not spoiler-tagging that, it comes out of nowhere in the ending and amounts to nothing. I don't know if they pick that up in BS, I haven't played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Same. It looks charming and endearing despite the inevitable jank and bad translation. Plus, a setting like that needs to be in more video games than just Jade Empire.

Gate of Firmament has this story about some godlike beings doing stuff, and a thousand years later their history has been twisted and rewritten to hell, there's also general unrest and natural disasters to such a degree that the capital of a major nation is migratory, and some ruling family wants to establish a direct line with god to prove they're royalty, and...
The length of all those lore cutscenes is ridiculous, but usually you get bonuses like party interaction so I dare not skip them.

That pig, by the way, carries a pokemon catcher on its back, and the party AI is smart enough to stop attacking whatever you're trying to catch immediately. I'm about 10 hours in, cleared the second chapter (out of 8? 9?), but still don't have much use for the souls, though. There was a quest to catch a few beasts, and you need to catch+kill critters to fill their database pages, and you can feed souls to magic trinkets to level them up and make them more powerful. Still haven't got to summoning guardians into my party.

The four characters have differently useful field skills: one lets you walk past enemies invisible, one starts the battle with the enemy stunned, one increases the loot drops at the end and one does... no idea what, need more testing.