Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

CrashCat posted:

That's an amazingly bad suggestion engine. A Steven Universe game is like Darkest Dungeon? :raise:

Attack the Light? It sort of does have similar gameplay to Darkest Dungeon in the vague turn-based RPG sense where you're directing a party through a node-based dungeon. At least, it's probably a fairly close match compared to other Android offerings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Yeah the more I looked into it, the more I realized that it was some sort of buzzword search engine results page. :negative:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

CrashCat posted:

That's an amazingly bad suggestion engine. A Steven Universe game is like Darkest Dungeon? :raise:

Also Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kinda a broad question, I'll admit, but what are some engaging/fun games I can play for a few days that don't need a data connection? I'll be out of town for a few days, and the Wi-Fi availability will be erratic at best.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Some games I didn't hate and I think don't require data:

Wayward Souls
Plants vs Zombies 1 (2 might not require a connection but it definitely has a lot of IAP)
Any of the Final Fantasy games but I think they're a slog to play with a touchscreen
Twofold Inc.
Crashlands (this is way better on a tablet than a phone but it's still playable)
You Must Build A Boat

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

MisterBibs posted:

Kinda a broad question, I'll admit, but what are some engaging/fun games I can play for a few days that don't need a data connection? I'll be out of town for a few days, and the Wi-Fi availability will be erratic at best.

the new futurama game doesn't require a data connection. the only hitch is that it downloads the data for new levels when you're inside the game, so you could theoretically run into a situation where you've beaten all the levels that you've downloaded so far and won't be able to play more until you have data again. it also still has a candy crush-style energy system, which by the phrasing of your post might be a dealbreaker.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I was looking through my old posts for that list of suggested games to see if I included whether data connections were needed or not and this caught my eye.

Potsticker posted:

<snip>

It's too bad. PAD with the level of presentation that Dokkan has would be amazing.

Recently my roommate mentioned Granblue Fantasy as an aside and since I really knew nothing about it I thought I'd give it a try. Fair warning, it's all in Japanese, though an english-language option may be coming next month.

It's basically PAD without the puzzling and more of a focus on using your character abilities to beat monsters in a JRPG fashion. It's not quite as stylish as Dokkan, but there's still a lot of cool stuff to see and hear.

Like PAD, there's that annoying rerolling for a good gatcha character to start, but it does have paid options where you can choose which drop you want specifically. Apparently there's some changes being made too with more transparency on gatcha drop percentages?

It also has a lot of slots to fill, with five characters in a party (3 main, plus 2 backup whenever anyone faints), ten weapon pool (only the first one determines your player character's element and its type is restricted by job) and five summon slots. (with the first giving a leader skill like PAD) You also pick a friend/rando each quest and get their summon and it's skill to use too, like PAD. Unlike PAD you set up separately which summon you offer, and you can set a summon for every element type, plus an extra free type! It's a little intimidating to a new player. As a new player you do get a 10 roll for free, which guarantees an SR, (the second highest rarety, which goes SSR > SR > R > N) but doesn't guarantee that it'll be a character.

In addition to the characters you set, you also have a player avatar which can job change, getting different skills as they level. Usually each job has 3 skills specific to it, plus an extra EX slot which can have (most) any skill from another job set into it. And even after fully levelling a job, your XP isn't wasted, but instead goes into a pool to build points to further improve your character! Again, it's fairly deep for a PAD clone.

The one big downside to starting out is that it's hard to build a party of characters, since weapons, characters (who come with a weapon, so they're a bit of a twofer), and summons all come out of the same gatcha and while you can farm weapons and summons in various other ways, guaranteeing getting new characters isn't quite so easy for someone spending zero real money. Following the story quests does give a small pool of characters and you earn gatcha currency by completing quests and achievements, but like PAD you really want to wait for special events to spend those.

Finally, there are a variety of multiplayer co-op quests and bosses, where up to 30 people (limit of 4 for co-op quests) are actively fighting the same monster or group of monsters. Active meaning buffs, debuffs and effects matter for everyone at the same time, not just participating in a solo instance that happens to affect a shared boss lifebar.

From a game design perspective there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. Individual characters can have interesting mechanics like an abiltiy that switches stances so the other abilties have different mechanics. There's some jobs that have abilities that change based on what type of weapon is equipped as the main weapon. There's a lot of design space here and unlike PAD there isn't a vestigal puzzling mechanic that sort of fell by the wayside. I really liked PAD's puzzling, but a lot of high level play mostly ignored it outside of some highly specific team comps.

On the other hand it is a Mobage with a gatcha and anime artwork. Also the current event is an Idolm@ster collab.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

For an actual non-data plan needing suggestion, I highly recommend Veritas LCD which is a smart little adventure game I finally beat completely recently. Despite looking like an old LCD game, (LSI? I'm not sure what's the best term, but think Tiger Electronics over DMDs like Tamagotchi have) there's a lot of depth to the mechanics and the screen design is really amazing. It's not a super great on-the-go game due to maybe needing to make a little map or take notes depending on your memory, but that shouldn't matter on a flight or when relaxing at home.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Artelier posted:

I just got my hands on newly released Space Grunts and have been loving it so far.

It's a roguelike where most of the strategy comes from how you tackle rooms with your three main guns - a short ranged gun, a frag-like missile launcher, and a piercing lightning gun, with the potential to grab crowbars along the way for some melee action. The videos make it seem fast and it can move fast, but it's turn based, with a handy UI that tells you what your guns are going to hit and a good simple interface. Three main characters with slightly differing styles of play, though the core gameplay is so far the same.

I bought it yesterday for RM10 which I think is about 3 or 4 US$, and I've already pumped a couple hours into it. I haven't made it past floor five though, the game gets brutal quick. It's tempting to also fly through the levels but then it's easy to get punished. I like it a lot.

Don't think there's a multiplayer component but there is a daily dungeon run component, which killed me at floor 4. It felt a lot harder than a normal dungeon run.

Anyone who is hankering for a fast paced roguelike should definitely check it out and see if it appeals to you.

In the 30s or so of gameplay from the video, there are 4 instances of "inventory is full!", seems like constant inventory micro-managing would get old real quick.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

So the Pocket Mine people have a new game. It's about fishing and seems hard. Get it then click this:

http://goo.gl/cbgsuF

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 1, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Potsticker posted:

I was looking through my old posts for that list of suggested games to see if I included whether data connections were needed or not and this caught my eye.

Recently my roommate mentioned Granblue Fantasy as an aside and since I really knew nothing about it I thought I'd give it a try. Fair warning, it's all in Japanese, though an english-language option may be coming next month.

It's basically PAD without the puzzling and more of a focus on using your character abilities to beat monsters in a JRPG fashion. It's not quite as stylish as Dokkan, but there's still a lot of cool stuff to see and hear.

Like PAD, there's that annoying rerolling for a good gatcha character to start, but it does have paid options where you can choose which drop you want specifically. Apparently there's some changes being made too with more transparency on gatcha drop percentages?

It also has a lot of slots to fill, with five characters in a party (3 main, plus 2 backup whenever anyone faints), ten weapon pool (only the first one determines your player character's element and its type is restricted by job) and five summon slots. (with the first giving a leader skill like PAD) You also pick a friend/rando each quest and get their summon and it's skill to use too, like PAD. Unlike PAD you set up separately which summon you offer, and you can set a summon for every element type, plus an extra free type! It's a little intimidating to a new player. As a new player you do get a 10 roll for free, which guarantees an SR, (the second highest rarety, which goes SSR > SR > R > N) but doesn't guarantee that it'll be a character.

In addition to the characters you set, you also have a player avatar which can job change, getting different skills as they level. Usually each job has 3 skills specific to it, plus an extra EX slot which can have (most) any skill from another job set into it. And even after fully levelling a job, your XP isn't wasted, but instead goes into a pool to build points to further improve your character! Again, it's fairly deep for a PAD clone.

The one big downside to starting out is that it's hard to build a party of characters, since weapons, characters (who come with a weapon, so they're a bit of a twofer), and summons all come out of the same gatcha and while you can farm weapons and summons in various other ways, guaranteeing getting new characters isn't quite so easy for someone spending zero real money. Following the story quests does give a small pool of characters and you earn gatcha currency by completing quests and achievements, but like PAD you really want to wait for special events to spend those.

Finally, there are a variety of multiplayer co-op quests and bosses, where up to 30 people (limit of 4 for co-op quests) are actively fighting the same monster or group of monsters. Active meaning buffs, debuffs and effects matter for everyone at the same time, not just participating in a solo instance that happens to affect a shared boss lifebar.

From a game design perspective there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. Individual characters can have interesting mechanics like an abiltiy that switches stances so the other abilties have different mechanics. There's some jobs that have abilities that change based on what type of weapon is equipped as the main weapon. There's a lot of design space here and unlike PAD there isn't a vestigal puzzling mechanic that sort of fell by the wayside. I really liked PAD's puzzling, but a lot of high level play mostly ignored it outside of some highly specific team comps.

On the other hand it is a Mobage with a gatcha and anime artwork. Also the current event is an Idolm@ster collab.

Granblue is basically the mobile FF game square doesn't want to make :v:. Its what I've been messing with for the past few months, its certainly got above average production value with its soundtrack and well animated sprites. Boss themes are pretty great and occasionally event bosses get a unique theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGnUBjbd32Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ5TBh5Qkdk

Your first month or two can be rough since your character pool will be limited and you can usually get 2-4 SR characters from events each month. Gacha rate is kinda dire at 3% until theres a legendfest at the end/beginning of the months that doubles it to 6%. Theres been some goofy events since the start of the year between mad max midgets and a buncha dudes fighting off giant crabs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmpAV3eojt4

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

peepsalot posted:

In the 30s or so of gameplay from the video, there are 4 instances of "inventory is full!", seems like constant inventory micro-managing would get old real quick.

I haven't noticed that really in the small amount of time I've played it. It's fun so far, but I want to delve a bit deeper before making any recokmendation.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the new futurama game doesn't require a data connection. the only hitch is that it downloads the data for new levels when you're inside the game, so you could theoretically run into a situation where you've beaten all the levels that you've downloaded so far and won't be able to play more until you have data again. it also still has a candy crush-style energy system, which by the phrasing of your post might be a dealbreaker.

I had issues starting the game off internet connection, but once I'm playing it doesn't seem to care.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Artelier posted:

I bought it yesterday for RM10 which I think is about 3 or 4 US$, and I've already pumped a couple hours into it. I haven't made it past floor five though, the game gets brutal quick. It's tempting to also fly through the levels but then it's easy to get punished. I like it a lot.

It warms my heart that I'm not the only Malaysian goon on these forums

And to find one who also actually pays for mobile games! Fuzzies all over

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

So the Pocket Mine people have a new game. It's about fishing and seems hard. Get it then click this:

http://goo.gl/cbgsuF

So far it's okay and you click here too
http://goo.gl/Pk1Mnb

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

tater_salad posted:

So far it's okay and you click here too
http://goo.gl/Pk1Mnb

I ran outta bait just after I spent all my money on upgrades so be careful of that.

http://roofdog-fishing.appspot.com/rest/friends/addPage?code=djrn2258

You can add people in the app directly too just use the code at the end there.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Trastion posted:

I ran outta bait just after I spent all my money on upgrades so be careful of that.

I'll get in on this too, Pocket Mine 2 is still fun.

http://roofdog-fishing.appspot.com/rest/friends/addPage?code=phhg3966

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh I'm surprised I stayed with MAA2 as long as I did. I got to a point where i had to grind out levels to progress, and the game is so very slow. It takes forever to do anything because everyone just gives love taps while having tons of HP, so a fight takes like 5 minutes to do.

Probably should just go back to Conquest of Champions to augment the FF time.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Here's the big post I made last thread, most of which don't require an online connection to play. Also most of them tend to be free and/or have no ads. Apparently you can't quote old posts because I was just going to repost it, but F redoing the BBCode URLs.

Also previously in this thread, all of which I'm pretty certain don't require a connection:

Potsticker posted:

I've been playing Tower Slash for the past couple days and it's a pretty fun rhythm-esque game where you swipe in arrow directions to kills badguys as you ascend a tower. There are rotating yellow arrows that don't stop until you're close enough to swipe and red arrows you need to swipe in the opposite direction. Occasionally bosses show up with little Simon Says memory sequences. I'v e been having a ball and managed to hit 12th on the overall high score table.

Potsticker posted:

I've been playing this thing which really doesn't need an internet connection. If you are, the ads are pretty atrocious. I recommend liberal use of the back key since the devs forgot and you can just back out of any ad with no consequence.

Enough about that! Infinite Stairs gameplay is pretty easy to understand. You've got two controls, one to climb and to turn around. Turning around also climbs, though, and basically the whole thing is just learning the timing on stairs patterns. Theres a lot of characters, pets and stages to unlock, and lots of different ways to unlock the characters.

Overall, if I could throw a couple of bucks to remove ads or double the coin values I don't think I'd have any complaints about the game. It's sort of the same type of feeling when I get playing Crossy Road or Tower Slash, except I don't have to deal with swipes which can register wrongly or require more room than I have.

Potsticker posted:

Here's something pretty great I found: Tottoko Dungeon

It's sort of a puzzle game with light RPG elements. The main character barrels ahead through each map and you have to equip skills and use them to guide the character through. Getting to the exit isn't the challenge, though, it's managing to get all the treasure chests on each map. And most maps you'll need to play more than once with different skill loadouts to collect everything.

Once the map is exited the first time, you then can look at a preview of the whole thing before entering so you can plan your route. It's really helpful!

There are two types of IAP in this otherwise free game, buying gold (which upgrades equipment) and No-Ads, which is just under $2. I'm on the last map of the third dungeon (out of six, according to the achievements) and unless there is a huge spike later, there hasn't been a need to spend any of the 20k+ gold I've gotten in game. For reference the first couple upgrades on a piece of gear costs around 100-250.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Trastion posted:

Yeah, but it's annoying as poo poo since you can't paste in the code. Had to have this thread open on my phone and punch in the codes on my tablet.

Mines jcxt3383.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

http://roofdog-fishing.appspot.com/rest/friends/addPage?code=mrmb5559

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A port of Fahrenheit - Indigo Prophecy is out for Android.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

My better half thinks it is horribly unfair I get all this goon cash, and asked me to put her code up.

http://roofdog-fishing.appspot.com/rest/friends/addPage?code=mknk4548

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

mrkillboy posted:

Hey, maybe those weird shapes you had to make to do stuff will finally work well on a touch screen.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

mrkillboy posted:

I loving loved this game, until the personification of the internet turned out to be the boss and wtf!?

I did come across a bug in the PC version where in spite of having a top of the line computer at the time there was a certain QTE that just kinda froze for a bit and I always lost a life, had to restart the entire game to make sure I had a spare life to get passed it.

Definitely gonna spend my google fun bux on this when i have enough.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Gonna fish with goons.
http://goo.gl/LFXs8m

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fishing game chat deal with it.

Bigger fish will eat smaller fish on your line then they get hooked and you now are dealing with a bigger fish.

Having enough fun to have paid 3 for the coin doubler

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh god, no I don't have time to get into another one of those guys' games, I really enjoyed Pocket Mine 2....but oh...such fish we shall see...

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Do the fish ever get tired? Seems that if I have a bigger fish on that is fighting a lot if I try to wait and tire it out it just eventually gets away. Also I seem to still lose a lot of fish that I have a much higher attack than their defense.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Trastion posted:

Do the fish ever get tired? Seems that if I have a bigger fish on that is fighting a lot if I try to wait and tire it out it just eventually gets away. Also I seem to still lose a lot of fish that I have a much higher attack than their defense.

I think when they "fight" their attack value roughly doubles. I quit playing when I hit the third area with 110 fishing power and the smallest fish were breaking my line without me even fighting them.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

All those posts and none of you goons linked your dumb fishing game. (I don't know if it's dumb, I haven't tried it. But seriously, at least link the game if you want people to get it)

mrkillboy posted:

Doesn't this have polygonal nudity in it? Wonder how they got that past google, since they usually seem pretty serious about not letting anyone break that rule. Or maybe they just took it out, since it seemed totally superfluous to the plot from what I remember of an LP I watched of it a while back.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

BobTheJanitor posted:

All those posts and none of you goons linked your dumb fishing game. (I don't know if it's dumb, I haven't tried it. But seriously, at least link the game if you want people to get it)

Doesn't this have polygonal nudity in it? Wonder how they got that past google, since they usually seem pretty serious about not letting anyone break that rule. Or maybe they just took it out, since it seemed totally superfluous to the plot from what I remember of an LP I watched of it a while back.

The scene itself might've been important to the story I think, but the NA release essentially edited out every bit of nudity from the game.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Roofdog makes cool games so I'm in for some fishing: http://goo.gl/cXhmee

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

BobTheJanitor posted:

As mentioned above the original North American version of the game cut out all the nudity and sex. The app description says this is the uncut Euro version however.

A while back Google essentially passed policing of game content to the various international classification bodies so I don't think they're directly concerned with something like a single nude scene in a game anymore, unless the sexual content is really blatant or controversial I guess.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 2, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Enigma posted:

I think when they "fight" their attack value roughly doubles

This makes so much loving sense.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Getting in on this fishing action

http://goo.gl/yIgjPt

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Fishing friend link:

http://roofdog-fishing.appspot.com/rest/friends/addPage?code=jvvs7984

rgrefalda
Feb 28, 2006
Can I get in on the Fishing Break friend train too please? http://goo.gl/09Rpbg

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I can't get past level 10 in Space Grunts, which irks me because at least five people have finished the game.

As far as inventory space goes, different characters have different amounts of space, and they even do different damage too. For instance, even though the Techjunky is said to mainly be an item focused character, their damage output for the main gun and the lightning gun is stronger than the other two - but the main gun range is one range less, which is a big deal.

tentacles posted:

It warms my heart that I'm not the only Malaysian goon on these forums

And to find one who also actually pays for mobile games! Fuzzies all over

Apa khabar? What have you spent money on?

I mostly get mine from the Android Humble Bundles, mostly because I wanted that Canabalt and Alone! Alone in particular is brutal as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Clash Royale should be available for everyone, everywhere now in the Play Store.