Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

whypick1 posted:

Challenges for the new leagues

Holy poo poo, they're actually achievable for decent players!

My god, they learned from last league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I wish Onslaught were slightly cooler. I penciled out an Onslaught-focused Lightning Strike Axe Raider, but it's real hard not to look at Frenzy Charges' 4% more damage and think the Frenzy Charge route would be way less work and more effective in the end.

Even changing it from 20% increased attack/move speed and damage to 10% more would be a nice improvement. I'm not sure there are any other ways to get a more modifier for attack/move speed, so that would be something unique without being too overpowered. Maybe then someone would consider Innervate for more than two seconds, too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Have they said how long the Perandus league will last?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

regulargonzalez posted:

Have they said how long the Perandus league will last?

Standard challenge league duration is 3 months.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Count Uvula posted:

Standard challenge league duration is 3 months.

The last league or two went on for longer, and I seen to remember GGG mentioning sometime last year that they want longer leagues going forward.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Vorenus posted:

Lol. I ask about a build, told it's too expensive. Ask about another, also too expensive. Have a build suggested, ask for more info and told it's not suitable. gently caress it.

Noncrit Arc in a 4+ link with that 40% more damage after a crit node and curse on hit orb of storms should get you about halfway through maps just stacking life even with garbage gear.

You can farm a tabula yourself with the cards in the aqueduct.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

regulargonzalez posted:

The last league or two went on for longer, and I seen to remember GGG mentioning sometime last year that they want longer leagues going forward.

They said they wanted shorter leagues in the past because the final month of a league had like 10% of the players as 1st month. Talisman is apparently going to end on its 84th day, so just under 3 months.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Korwin posted:

Saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEz30ErIJac
I think I'll Play an Dildo build.
Hmm, Words of War is an (Glove-)Enchantment not an Skill.
I suppose I'll be able to buy one...

Passiv Skill wise I think I want to try max Life and use an big two handed weapon + earthquake(?).

Should I start Templar instead of Maurauder?

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Hierophant Templar gets some cool poo poo like free pseudo 5 links. Inquisitor gets weird consecrated ground stuff.
If you wanna just be a hard hitting mofo 2h mace guy with earhquake and a marohi (they probably will be expensive again this league for a week or two as opposed to being 1c in talisman) try berserker or slayer. Berserker gets 100% leech after a savage hit which should be pretty huge.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Is the length of time an item shows up as highlighted part of item filters?

I have NeverSink's item filter installed, but I find things will drop mid-battle, their names will show up for a few seconds, and then they'll hide.

Me not having played since before Act 4 was a thing, I'm not familiar enough again with items to recognize what was highlighted before it hid itself... (except easy ones like currency and jewels and such)

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Magus42 posted:

Is the length of time an item shows up as highlighted part of item filters?

I have NeverSink's item filter installed, but I find things will drop mid-battle, their names will show up for a few seconds, and then they'll hide.

Me not having played since before Act 4 was a thing, I'm not familiar enough again with items to recognize what was highlighted before it hid itself... (except easy ones like currency and jewels and such)

You have 'always show items' turned off. Hit Z I think is the default shortcut? If you can't find the hotkey for it it should be in UI options.
The things that are showing up for a second are things that got through your filter though, the only way to see filtered items is to hold alt.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Count Uvula posted:

You have 'always show items' turned off. Hit Z I think is the default shortcut? If you can't find the hotkey for it it should be in UI options.
The things that are showing up for a second are things that got through your filter though, the only way to see filtered items is to hold alt.

Thanks, I figured it was something simple I was overlooking - that fixed it :)

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Premium tab upgrades are on sale today for 10 points.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
My facebreaker dude is coming together... went and grabbed Melee Splash that I'd been missing, and wow what a difference.

https://gfycat.com/AromaticWildAzurewingedmagpie

https://zippy.gfycat.com/AromaticWildAzurewingedmagpie.webm

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
So if a boss crits for 10000 physical damage, my Juggernaut who has 17000 armor, 9 endurance charges and Soul of Steel, is wearing Abyssus, and using a basalt flask, will take 3500 damage. :allears:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Hey if anybody here wants to do really low-effort trading (i personally could never be arsed setting up a shop thread) I really really strongly recommend buying a couple of premium tab upgrades today (they're on sale for 10 each) because then you can set stuff for sale in your stash with no stupid forum threads and you can offload all your poo poo ok thanks bye

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Mercrom posted:

So if a boss crits for 10000 physical damage, my Juggernaut who has 17000 armor, 9 endurance charges and Soul of Steel, is wearing Abyssus, and using a basalt flask, will take 3500 damage. :allears:

You'd think you wouldn't need that much extra given the 17000 armour bit. But so it goes.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bloodly posted:

You'd think you wouldn't need that much extra given the 17000 armour bit. But so it goes.

17000 armor only blocks 1450 damage from a 10,000 hit. It's his endurance charges and basalt flask doing most of the work.
Also Abyssus isn't mitigation, it's making him take more damage than he otherwise would.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

A wild nullifier appears

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
how much does an Aziri kill cost in TSC? I'm at 20 and that is the only reasonable challenge left

I have two sets of fragments and I don't think I can kill her with these:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JustinCray/characters

The Shadow is my best bet I think, and I already wasted three sets with him (Duo and Trio deathless, and then Aziri herself just beats me down). In hindsight character ADHD is real, but I just kept on finding such great stuff for other characters... that second 6L is like cocaine for levelling :negative:

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Yeah Abyssus is pretty much a joke item for softcore players who like big numbers and hate experience points.

TheRat posted:

A wild nullifier appears
:negative:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

heres my build

code:
WRITHING JAR (SUMMONS WORMS)
SOME BELT (MAKES FLASKS AFFECT MINIONS)
GET LIKE 30 WORMS LOL
UNLIMITED FLASKS
thoughts?????

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Count Uvula posted:

17000 armor only blocks 1450 damage from a 10,000 hit. It's his endurance charges and basalt flask doing most of the work.
Also Abyssus isn't mitigation, it's making him take more damage than he otherwise would.

Hm. Makes you think, though. 17,000 is a big number, yet it provides so little in actual protection. In that case, what's even the point of the number, if it means so little in real terms?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's a pretty big flaw in the game that armor/evasion is practically irrelevant unless you go massively into them and continue to fall off sharply as you level, while block and similar percentage based mechanics are just plain useful and don't have to wear diapers.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
It is very effective against many small hits.

There are just some things you are not meant to tank, though in some cases you still can. Block / dodge / evasion can save you from large hits, but is less effective (in comparison to armor) versus many hits.

Flesh Forge posted:

It's a pretty big flaw in the game that armor/evasion is practically irrelevant unless you go massively into them and continue to fall off sharply as you level, while block and similar percentage based mechanics are just plain useful and don't have to wear diapers.
It's not really different, every point of dodge/block is more effective than the last (until cap).

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 2, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Bloodly posted:

Hm. Makes you think, though. 17,000 is a big number, yet it provides so little in actual protection. In that case, what's even the point of the number, if it means so little in real terms?

Armor is less effective the bigger the hit is. He was using a huge hit as an example, against more common amounts of damage that kind of armor is much more effective.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Normally I'd have my first build for a new league picked this close to the start, but i really haven't a clue what to go for first this league. My choices are Ancestral Protector Hierophant, Free Flickerstrike Trickster, Orb of Storms lightning build of some kind, or SRS Necro, and I'm probably forgetting a couple more.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Bouquet posted:

I wish Onslaught were slightly cooler. I penciled out an Onslaught-focused Lightning Strike Axe Raider, but it's real hard not to look at Frenzy Charges' 4% more damage and think the Frenzy Charge route would be way less work and more effective in the end.

Even changing it from 20% increased attack/move speed and damage to 10% more would be a nice improvement. I'm not sure there are any other ways to get a more modifier for attack/move speed, so that would be something unique without being too overpowered. Maybe then someone would consider Innervate for more than two seconds, too.
There's a scion class that gets free onslaught and phasing whenever they're at max frenzy charges.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

how much does an Aziri kill cost in TSC? I'm at 20 and that is the only reasonable challenge left

I have two sets of fragments and I don't think I can kill her with these:

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/JustinCray/characters

The Shadow is my best bet I think, and I already wasted three sets with him (Duo and Trio deathless, and then Aziri herself just beats me down). In hindsight character ADHD is real, but I just kept on finding such great stuff for other characters... that second 6L is like cocaine for levelling :negative:

People will do my it for free. Sit in global 820. Or maybe ask funman. He's a nice guy who likes aztari

J
Jun 10, 2001

Cinara posted:

Premium tab upgrades are on sale today for 10 points.

The upgrade to premium tab goes on sale pretty rarely, about once every 3-5 months or so. Maybe in light of the public stash tab changes they will be putting it on sale more often, but just in case they don't, you should probably buy a few if you have interest in selling poo poo.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015
Played some PoE a while back. Do they still do the retarded temporary leagues which after some month are merged into the permanent garbage leagues which are not properly maintained and are full of OP legacy items?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
This guy gets it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
no, these days chris wilson will personally delete you when you die in game

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Ezekeel posted:

Played some PoE a while back. Do they still do the retarded temporary leagues which after some month are merged into the permanent garbage leagues which are not properly maintained and are full of OP legacy items?

Yes, they still do temporary leagues. I'm not really sure what you want from the developers because legacy items are a really small problem, with or without them the permanent leagues markets suck because they're permanent and become less fair to the average player as big traders accrue wealth. That and starting from scratch in a temporary league helps keep things fresh for nerdos like me who don't care about reaching level 100 or getting perfect gear.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The temporary leagues are great, I really don't see any downsides to doing them at all.

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Count Uvula posted:

Yes, they still do temporary leagues. I'm not really sure what you want from the developers because legacy items are a really small problem, with or without them the permanent leagues markets suck because they're permanent and become less fair to the average player as big traders accrue wealth. That and starting from scratch in a temporary league helps keep things fresh for nerdos like me who don't care about reaching level 100 or getting perfect gear.

Having OP legacy items that are best-in-slot and better than anything you can find in the game nowadays ruins gear progression for me which is a large part of the motivation to play this game.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Ezekeel posted:

Having OP legacy items that are best-in-slot and better than anything you can find in the game nowadays ruins gear progression for me which is a large part of the motivation to play this game.

Don't play standard. Or, if you play standard, don't worry about legacy items. Many builds don't need to interact with them at all.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

So play temp leagues with the rest of us!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Ezekeel posted:

So you don't like to play a game where there is the chance someone else has better gear than you.

Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I am unaware of any build that actually requires a legacy item to function in any way.

Can someone please enlighten me?

• Locked thread