Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think one possible solution is to provide more jobs than there are players. For example a typical starship might need a pilot, tactical coordinator (to assign targets and handle sensors), weapons officer (to control turrets and ordnance), engineer (shields and power distribution), possibly an electronics warfare guy (to handle hacking the enemy and disrupting systems), and drone pilots. Now much of that could be handled by either NPCs or outright AI, but if you make the gameplay diverse enough to be interesting then players will be more likely to want to play together. I wouldn't worry so much about "needing" a human crew, and if my players are all having fun being the pilots of their own starship then so be it. The question then becomes what is the benefit of each approach, and do we want to encourage those approaches. To put it in SC terms, what is the difference between six players hanging out on one Constellation versus six players on six Constellations and NPC crew. Obviously the latter is more powerful from a combat perspective, but what are the consequences and how does the game address the disparity? Is the reward for those ships going to be worth it? Perhaps there are diminishing returns for bringing that many guns to a fight or a mining job. It requires a holistic approach and understanding, and a cohesive design and intent done before you get too far into the game.

That's where you start to tumble down the CR rabbit hole, gotta have a wide variety of diverse and fun jobs for players each with logical and rewarding progression. It's a balance nightmare before you even get to the normal combat and economic balance that every MMO has to cope with.

It does sound awesome to have a game where the fundamental "player" unit isn't just a single guy but a crew of guys though. You start off as a single captain of a crappy one seater ship and as your reputation grows you can hire additional crew that stay with you, increasing their experience and getting upgrades as you go. Like a full 3d MMO version of FTL crossed with Mount & Blade. Players could combine their resources to pilot a huge ship, but ultimately given enough time you could get there yourself.

I wish I had $110 million to make something like that. Any one want to buy a picture of a space ship? No mocapped celebrities guaranteed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

that Cutlass line at the end is quite a doozy.

gently caress you too Ben.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ravane posted:

I'm sure christ roberts didn't manually replace smart. At least I hope he wasn't dumb enough to do that and instead just ctrl+g smart and replace with intelligent.

*Pusher gives PC a slap*

: Ouch, that really intelligented!

: Well that's for embarrassing me last night. One would think someone aiming for citizenship would dress intelligently!

: Well I may not have your wardrobe, but I got street intelligents! I was orphaned on Terra and had a very rough childhood.

: Well I guess I shouldn't let my temper run away with me

~*fidelitous 4k sex scene*~

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I do wonder how THE CHAIRMAN feels about his most fawning toadie caring far more about something he made decades ago than his upcoming mo-cap magnum opus

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

It would save everyone time if after everything CR posted something it included this gif:

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

MeLKoR posted:

- meeting to discuss how to announce feature cuts (confirmed by Ben in less than 24 hours)
- Star Marine was going to get starmarined (confirmed by CR in less than a week)
- an important person was leaving (Patrick, confirmed in days)
- virtual ship dealership was a new priority to bring in more money (confirmed, work in progress)

There are a couple more I think I'm forgetting.

austin downsizing and knowledge of behind the scenes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Jason Sextro posted:

I do wonder how THE CHAIRMAN feels about his most fawning toadie caring far more about something he made decades ago than his upcoming mo-cap magnum opus

Does he strike you as the sort of person who cares what you are fantasizing about while you're sucking his dick?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

MeLKoR posted:

- meeting to discuss how to announce feature cuts (confirmed by Ben in less than 24 hours)
- Star Marine was going to get starmarined (confirmed by CR in less than a week)
- virtual ship dealership was a new priority to bring in more money (confirmed, work in progress)

To elaborate on your first point, Melkor, EightAce spoke of the Summit at CIG LA. A gathering of the players that matter (with some presumably in virtual attendance).

On the subsequent "Around the Verse", Jake Ross in Austin spoke of a gathering of leadership in LA to talk about the Road Map for the PTU and things. He spoke about how they hadn't yet decided on 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 features and that these things would be clarified at the big Pow Wow.

The Pow Wow transpired. And around this time, EightAce made note "you won't believe what they're working on now."

A week later, Jake Ross was on AtV, talking about the upcoming addition of a virtual sales showroom for an upcoming PTU build, complete with highly refined Salesperson pitch animations, customers reacting, champagne being served. We reacted predictably ("WTF?!"), and EightAce eventually popped back in to share in the festivities.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

*Pusher gives PC a slap*

: Ouch, that really intelligented!

: Well that's for embarrassing me last night. One would think someone aiming for citizenship would dress intelligently!

: Well I may not have your wardrobe, but I got street intelligents! I was orphaned on Terra and had a very rough childhood.

: Well I guess I shouldn't let my temper run away with me

~*fidelitous 4k sex scene*~

does this sex scene have quicktime events

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Liu posted:

The condom is slipping PRESS X REPEATEDLY.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Liu posted:

press F to say object!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
INSERT THE POTATO

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Liu posted:

*Mash A to scrub crotch in shower*

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Bet none of you guys have experienced a sex minigame with a hotas (that's not jammed up your rear end)

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

He didn't just say important person with patrick either, he said someone involved in the b4tbg emails.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

MeLKoR posted:

Does he strike you as the sort of person who cares what you are fantasizing about while you're sucking his dick?

Kind of, yes. Do you think it wouldn't annoy him that he won't get any accolades for the coming shitshow that is Squadron 42?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6424118/#Comment_6424118

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6425363/#Comment_6425363

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Short of saying who I am and what my involvement is I cannot verify myself to people's satisfaction.
This is far to risky as it is and the relevant people have a contact point for me for more info as this unravels.
Fair thee well commandos .....

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Eightace's narrative quietly changed from "I have friends who work at CIG" to "I work at CIG" and no one really noticed... Although I guess the two aren't exclusive.

Anyway, his posts are good and enjoyable so whatever.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

EightAce posted:

Short of saying who I am and what my involvement is I cannot verify myself to people's satisfaction.
This is far to risky as it is and the relevant people have a contact point for me for more info as this unravels.
Fair thee well commandos .....

thats alright, just tell us your full name and address

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nicholas posted:

Eightace's narrative quietly changed from "I have friends who work at CIG" to "I work at CIG" and no one really noticed... Although I guess the two aren't exclusive.

I noticed but I don't assume everything he says is accurate, there must be a layer of misinformation.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Says the guy who doesn't actually have to implement any of CRobbers' fever dreams.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6419496/#Comment_6419496

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

Case 2 (Stimperian Citizen):

Today I won a boxing match in the Stimpire. It was immersive.
Today I won a boxing match in the Stimpire. It was not tripling-in-pain painful, since I was the victor and my hands were not chopped off.

Case 2 is somewhat the de facto standard in the Stimpire. It basically boils down to the definition of the worst type of pain. Ergo, one cannot substitute 'immersive' with 'painful' in the Stimpire since not all Stimpire Citizens experience the same level of pain and cannot comprehend the full level of immersion the Stimperor could conceive.

As always, open to feedback from various sources. We scour the empire looking at various social feeds, forums and comment cards to facilitate the council's directives.

Well, this could be an advantage. Could you possibly leave some nice big bone spikes right at the end of the stumps, so I can continue my boxing career with yet MORE pain?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I don't care if EightAce is full of poo poo. The dude is selling it and it's entertaining. Any rear end in a top hat can tell that the ship is listing heavily and that the captain is locked up in his cabin. EightAce is just letting us know that the Captain is making GBS threads into plastic bags and refuses to eat anything but apples that have been pre-chewed by his favorite parrot. It's inconsequential but very entertaining.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think one possible solution is to provide more jobs than there are players. For example a typical starship might need a pilot, tactical coordinator (to assign targets and handle sensors), weapons officer (to control turrets and ordnance), engineer (shields and power distribution), possibly an electronics warfare guy (to handle hacking the enemy and disrupting systems), and drone pilots. Now much of that could be handled by either NPCs or outright AI, but if you make the gameplay diverse enough to be interesting then players will be more likely to want to play together. I wouldn't worry so much about "needing" a human crew, and if my players are all having fun being the pilots of their own starship then so be it. The question then becomes what is the benefit of each approach, and do we want to encourage those approaches. To put it in SC terms, what is the difference between six players hanging out on one Constellation versus six players on six Constellations and NPC crew. Obviously the latter is more powerful from a combat perspective, but what are the consequences and how does the game address the disparity? Is the reward for those ships going to be worth it? Perhaps there are diminishing returns for bringing that many guns to a fight or a mining job. It requires a holistic approach and understanding, and a cohesive design and intent done before you get too far into the game.

The fun factor diminishes super rapidly for each job in my experience. It is with some irony that one notes that SC does not seem to be a game that is focused on multicrew. The entire game is focused around the pilot, he has access to every control and the best you can hope to do is give someone else the ability to move shields around or to take firepower away from the pilot to ineffectively point it in another direction at a target that can effortlessly tank a pair of weak lasers with an 8% hit rate.

Games like GoI that are focused around the crew experience have a clear hierarchy of crew roles and you build your strategy around those, the map, your opponent and the loadout you plan to bring. The fun is shared because it's entirely a cooperate effort. Or you have games like PS2, which is based to deal with a sandbox rather than a strictly arena environment. In PS2 the vehicles fluctuate between pilot centered and crew served, but rarely actively encourage more than two or three participants. Furthermore those vehicles that have a role for 3+ people generally focus the effective firepower into just two seats.

Basically it's a observable rule of balance that means that most of the time if you jump/pull a crew served vehicle you'll know what your distinct role is and what you're signing up for if you jump in. SC doesn't seem to know what they want to do with their additional seats to the point of no one really having any idea to this day regarding how the second seat in the Super Hornet is supposed to function. At best they act like the tertiary "give them something to do" seats in PS2 without some kind of strategic additive role to justify giving up another ship. Either from a clinical strategic view or in terms of fun for the poor bastards sitting in the back of your autism chariot.

If you're sitting behind the big gun on a Liberator in PS2 you get the satisfaction of waiting for the pilot to put something you get to make explode into your crosshairs. If you sit in the back of a Gladiator you get to, at best, plink at something while the pilot has the fun or, at the worst, accidentally sit in a seat on the Constellation and move shields around.

This game isn't designed for anything. But it's most certainly not designed to give meaningful roles to second seats. Which is fairly shocking giving the number of ships that have additional seats, even if they don't survive intact from concept to execution.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:downs: durr my cover shooter has cover in it :downs:

Since we disagree on this particular issue sir, I challenge you to fisticuffs

Loser binge watches every episode of ~around the verse~ in an oculus rift

Are we even looking at the same post?

And, no, no victory is worth the chance of VR Lesnick. NO victory.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Samizdata posted:

Well, this could be an advantage. Could you possibly leave some nice big bone spikes right at the end of the stumps, so I can continue my boxing career with yet MORE pain?

Cripes. Thank you fellow Stim Councillor to raise this question.

We probably have to make that assumption. Pumping liquid metal into a severed limb would be a fruitless attempt to lead an ordinary life.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Liu posted:

Don't care. DOAN WANNA SEXXOR PUSHER! CAN'T MAKE ME!

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Dat shoulder fart.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dusty Lens posted:

I don't care if EightAce is full of poo poo. The dude is selling it and it's entertaining.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/320663/aaand-they-re-gone-citizencon-posters

Yo dog! I heard you like buying JPEG's, so we sold you a jpeg of a jpeg ship we're selling
:negative:

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Beet Wagon posted:

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing immersive medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without immersion resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against immersion points, causing great deals of immersion to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the immersive, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps immersive resistors into the body every 2 hours. The immersion they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

im dying

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

lol they aren't just drawn backwards, they fire backwards but somehow the shots pass through your body like you were a ghost. :lesnick:

Not just that, but the character rigs retain a somewhat decent grip on the guns, despite them being rotated 180 degrees.
It's loving art, man.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Even the in game Bobs are trying to off themselves

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

orcinus posted:

Not just that, but the character rigs retain a somewhat decent grip on the guns, despite them being rotated 180 degrees.
It's loving art, man.

The best thing: The shots look like they fire backwards, even the decal is placed in the rear. BUT the shot is actually going forward. There is a bit in the video, in which he shoots a friend in front: Shot goes backwards, Leg is hurt.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Tonight I will find HOT PVP ACTION

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samizdata posted:

Don't care. DOAN WANNA SEXXOR PUSHER! CAN'T MAKE ME!

Failing the QTE gets you a game over...and the last save point is before an hour of unskippable cutscenes.

EDIT: If EightAce isn't real, at least no one had to pay $110M for it.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 2, 2016

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

Failing the QTE gets you a game over...and the last save point is before an hour of unskippable cutscenes.

EDIT: If EightAce isn't real, at least no one had to pay $110M for it.

There will be savepoints?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Nicholas posted:

I'll keep my 'told you so' in my back pocket then. Just exercise caution, Nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Press F to play Elite instead

• Locked thread