Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

CommonShore posted:

Even Willie Nelson is expressly opposed to bringing young people into the cowboy lifestyle.

14-16 hours of straight up manual labor with your short few hours of down time being filled with alcohol to numb the pain realizing this is all you're going to ever do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Crap, I'm still going down this rabbit hole :(

If who can't wear cammo?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

The Bee posted:

You say that like Hogan would even be out of place in the current GOP candidate crop.

Am I the only one who thinks that his relationship with is daughter seems really creepy?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

ugggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this. This is all my Facebook stream is.

I'm the bright pink brand on the hat, so you know its for women! :j:

BgRdMchne posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that his relationship with is daughter seems really creepy?

Nah, Hogan is weirdly obsessed with her, in an overly patriarchal possessive dad sort of way. It's super creepy!

Dreddout has a new favorite as of 21:11 on Mar 3, 2016

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Maker Of Shoes posted:

*Can't have a conversation without bringing up Airsoft.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Soviet Commubot posted:

The whole near fetishization of rural life thing done by suburbanites is such a strange thing to me, especially as the things they glorify is largely the stuff that I really don't miss.

I grew up in a really, really rural area but most of the people I know who constantly post that poo poo are from stable middle class families whose "farm house" is surrounded by fields that were sold to some big agribusiness concern decades ago. The rural poor that I know, like my entire family, are generally split into two groups: chilled-out weed smokers and coked-out white supremacists. Figuring what percentage is what would be very depressing.

:agreed: moving to a Midwest town as a kid was weird for me. The rural lifestyle they fetishize has never existed. Even today I can't get over how you can find anything in camo pattern. Even loving Jellybeans!

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Reading the replies to a "who will you vote for" post on FB seems like a good idea.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:psyduck:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

The whole near fetishization of rural life thing done by suburbanites is such a strange thing to me, especially as the things they glorify is largely the stuff that I really don't miss.

I grew up in a really, really rural area but most of the people I know who constantly post that poo poo are from stable middle class families whose "farm house" is surrounded by fields that were sold to some big agribusiness concern decades ago. The rural poor that I know, like my entire family, are generally split into two groups: chilled-out weed smokers and coked-out white supremacists. Figuring what percentage is what would be very depressing.

Much of it has to do with the fact that suburban areas were rural areas until recent decades. Urban sprawl changes the cultural landscape of already extant communities, so the romanticism regarding rural life is especially prominent among young people who's families have lived in the community for a couple generations. Its an interesting facet of "good old days" mentality.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Full face camo, rolled sleeves exposing bare arms. Also can't be bothered to put anything on his bare head.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
As someone who grew up on a farm, city life is much better for me, and I enjoy seeing pavement. Pave everything.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Baofu posted:

EDIT: This was probably asked a while ago but is it just me or does Social Fixer no longer work with Firefox?

Little late but yeah. I had to change a setting somewhere in Firefox to allow Social Fixer to be installed and now I can't even anonymize things.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Little late but yeah. I had to change a setting somewhere in Firefox to allow Social Fixer to be installed and now I can't even anonymize things.

I'm having this same problem in chrome. Every once in awhile I get the wrench icon to do SF things but it's mostly gone now. :/

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
My dad's side of the family is entirely Sicilian. They all live in southern Michigan, which is where they've ALWAYS lived since moving from Sicily, and in the past 20 years they have all developed redneck accents and now wear camo to every family gathering

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, yeah, I admitted what I said was dumb. Maybe it'd matter in a different industry. If Notch made his fortune at a movie studio or in winning a sports championship and acted this way, he probably would have issues finding good help on later projects. But video games? He's probably more generous than the boss at EA or other studios.

See, I still don't know though because even when he was still in control over the game people pretty much just constantly poo poo on him for how bad he was at making it. The guys who took over after him are probably more well known to anyone who actually plays minecraft now. Notch is mostly just known to people as the guy who started minecraft and got rich. The other guys are the ones who actually made it what it is now. Maybe I'm just optimistic but I think if anything people would line up to work with those guys over Notch.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

china bot posted:

My dad's side of the family is entirely Sicilian. They all live in southern Michigan, which is where they've ALWAYS lived since moving from Sicily, and in the past 20 years they have all developed redneck accents and now wear camo to every family gathering

I dated an Indian guy, in the bay area, who wanted so badly to be a redneck that he voted straight Republican, wore more flannel than an actual cowboy could possibly own, drove a beat-up old pickup truck he couldn't restore because he didn't actually work on cars, listened to country music exclusively, had a military fetish to the point of making us all wait for coffee that he made over an illicit campfire using equipment he got at army surplus when there was a coffee shop ten feet away, and took speech therapy lessons to rid himself of his accent.

When he ultimately married a white woman, she wore a sari to their very traditional Indian wedding. I have no idea if she's a redneck too, or if he is still acting out his cowboy fantasies. From what I hear they're happy, so good for them.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My maternal grandparents came to the US from Poland between the world wars, basically as refugees. My cousin, who grew up hearing the same terrible stories about their experiences as I did, has been posting anti-immigration/refugee memes and talking about America for Americans for months now.

I know we're a few generations removed from that, but jfc.

Otana
Jun 1, 2005

Let's go see what kind of trouble we can get into.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm having this same problem in chrome. Every once in awhile I get the wrench icon to do SF things but it's mostly gone now. :/

Facebook keeps making changes to screw up SF. The Greasemonkey script works fine, they've been recommending it for a while.

They might have some fixes up already, if not check the Social Fixer FB group and they're doing their best to offer workarounds until the next release.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Selective memories are a bitch.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

EvilGenius posted:

I always find it amazing, the idea that anyone would choose to be gay, when they could have an easier life, free from bigotry and prejudice. If it was a choice, why on earth would you choose it, unless you were some kind of masochist?
Obviously, Hollywood and the liberal media have made being gay something attractive and fun that kids should aspire to. "Look at all the beautiful and famous gay people! If you were gay, too, you could be beautiful and famous like them! Now come with me to my rape dungeon where I will teach you how..."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This I agree with, just because so many of his reactions seem so petty and hurt. That he can't understand why his walking away would cause grief and pain and instead spits it back ragefully at his former employees shows he doesn't really have the constitution to be someone who needs to lead. You have to be ok with people being pissed at you, or not liking you, if you're the boss. But the feeling I get from Notch is he's more concerned with wanting people to like him, than wanting to like himself, and it breeds as this petty insecurity he exhibits openly. These traits often make for a terrible leader who, if given power is just going to abuse it for their own selfish means, to feel better about themselves and fill the void of insecurity.

It's worse than that; he just exudes the attitude of somebody that feels like they deserve to be liked. This is why I made the "MINE MINE MINE!!!" comment. If you come into a ton of money one thing you're supposed to do with it is spread it around a little, especially among people that were your bros when you were not rolling in cash. Aside from that his central message seems to be "I made Minecraft; I am now a nerd god that everybody must like automatically."

But like...if you have a lovely personality, which includes being stingy and selfish, nobody is going to like you and you have no right to demand it. Yeah not everybody is going to like you no matter what you do but when you have literal billions of dollars you can afford to grab your friends every now and again and say "hey we're doing something cool this weekend."

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Saw this linked on my friend's facebook.

Conceptartist gets accused of sexually abusing his ex, writes 3000 words about how he really loved her and she was just a lying, cheating, pill popping whore and did he tell you he really loved her? Also cue a few people going on about how strong and brave he is for writing about it.

https://www.facebook.com/TheSadPencil/posts/10208611499066254

edit - here's a screencap, no blurring out names because it's a public post and I'm lazy. http://i.imgur.com/NYMsDDT.png

Horrible Smutbeast has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Mar 4, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Soviet Commubot posted:

Among the right wing, it seems to be a longstanding portrayal of rural folks like farmers being simpler, more honest, and tougher than the city slickers who sell you snake oil and buy out your land that your grandpappy and pappy worked their whole lives to keep. This is part of the reason you always see Republican candidates trying to use cowboy and ranch imagery in their ads, even if they went to Harvard on their parents' fortune and would probably mistake a cow patty for chocolate if they were actually allowed outside.

So right-wing conservatives who have never actually lived on a farm or out in the sticks start romanticizing the rural lifestyle as good, honest, and loyal.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsiSRSgqE4E

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueZ6tvqhk8U&t=16s

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brawnfire posted:

They seem to forget or don't know the 1st Slave owner in America was BLACK!!! So start collecting from yourselves FIRST before you turn to White People!!! Check you History, fools!!!

I wish when LoB did this it linked back to the source.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Full face camo, rolled sleeves exposing bare arms. Also can't be bothered to put anything on his bare head.

If he was wearing a hat he wouldn't be able to show off his stylishly-gelled mohawk :gay:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cyberia posted:

If he was wearing a hat he wouldn't be able to show off his stylishly-gelled mohawk :gay:

That is a shameful mohawk.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

The point is THAT-A-WAY man

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The Social Fixer guy has been working on a major update for a while now, so there haven't been the usual incremental updates to keep up with Facebook's changes. But based on his posts, he also seems to be getting a bit burnt out on it, so who knows how much longer he'll keep bothering.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

I thought it was Shicklgruber.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lottery of Babylon posted:

You want reparations how about we put you back into slavery , what are you going to do hell most of you can't even educate yourselves . I think you forget your own race sold your ancestors into slavery it was the white man who freed you.

What?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

He makes a good point, I think.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

No no, I agree with him.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
:wtc: I'm so lost right now

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Awww someone doesn't know LoB

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

To be fair to the Idiot, the Drumpf thing is really petty and stupid, especially given that the man himself is doing his darndest to make the Trump name synonymous with hatred and bigotry.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gridlocked posted:

LoB's gimmick is posting unsourced quotes from somewhere and responding to innocuous posts and replacing what they say by inserting more crazy in their place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

RareAcumen posted:

LoB's gimmick is posting unsourced quotes from somewhere and responding to innocuous posts and replacing what they say by inserting more crazy in their place.

It's a gimmick I for one have learned to stop worrying and tolerate.