Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The Colonel posted:

having a jrpg where most of the cast ends up dead by the end would be kind of difficult to pull off without being really frustrating to the player, i imagine

e; ah, i guess people already posted examples while i was typing that

actually doesn't ultima v have a thing where if you get captured and you don't tell the main villain the location of one of the stones he's trying to destroy, one of your party members will be brutally killed?

Yeah and the longer you hold out the more of them get murdered right in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Verranicus posted:

Permadeath sucks.

As it exists in most games yeah, because it's an entire game mechanic that exists entirely so the play avoids the mechanics as much as possible.

Like xcom and Darkest Dungeons at least does something besides slap your hands with it by having other characters interact and react with the deaths of their comrades, both negatively and positively. What if a dying character got big bonuses if they were doing well so they can go out in a blaze of glory ( I think that DS Valkyrie profile game did something like that) or have them drop a unique item that you want to keep with you or use? Hell, just have other characters actually say something about their dead friends and families.

But no, most games just have them die and they're basically unpersoned from the setting. No one even thinks about what they might have thought about what's going on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

GrandpaPants posted:

Characters can permanently die in Suikoden games. Maybe not all of them, but definitely in 1.

I hate that proto QTE to save your sister in 2. RIP Nanami. :(

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

As it exists in most games yeah, because it's an entire game mechanic that exists entirely so the play avoids the mechanics as much as possible.

Like xcom and Darkest Dungeons at least does something besides slap your hands with it by having other characters interact and react with the deaths of their comrades, both negatively and positively. What if a dying character got big bonuses if they were doing well so they can go out in a blaze of glory ( I think that DS Valkyrie profile game did something like that) or have them drop a unique item that you want to keep with you or use? Hell, just have other characters actually say something about their dead friends and families.

But no, most games just have them die and they're basically unpersoned from the setting. No one even thinks about what they might have thought about what's going on.

XCOM and DD's gameplay functions very good for dynamic scenarios. A lot of different things can happen in any given fight, so no encounter will ever be quite the same as another, and that means that combat becomes a source of experiences for the player. The experience factor, rather than anything about numbers of stats, is what makes a game memorable. It's why everyone loves Dark Souls so much.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
None of that would really work in a JRPG though. SRPGs sure, but you tend to get a lot of faceless grunts in SRPGs to make up for a lack of story characters.

Unrelated: I'm back to Bravely Default now that I've finished one of the FE: Fates games and I just got to the point where I can do the vampire asterix quest, but I read up on it and it seems like I'll need to grind for hours to get gimmicky job combos to do it and I just don't care to do that right now. Would I be missing out on much by skipping it? I've done every other side quest so far.

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 5, 2016

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Strange Quark posted:

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War

cold

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HGH posted:

English trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REut5VLhcu0

It seems nappy time may yet be avoided.

give me 4000-polygon models of crafting components collapsing in on themselves like some kid of graphical glitch and i'll buy a ps4 for this

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Verranicus posted:

None of that would really work in a JRPG though. SRPGs sure, but you tend to get a lot of faceless grunts in SRPGs to make up for a lack of story characters.

Unrelated: I'm back to Bravely Default now that I've finished one of the FE: Fates games and I just got to the point where I can do the vampire asterix quest, but I read up on it and it seems like I'll need to grind for hours to get gimmicky job combos to do it and I just don't care to do that right now. Would I be missing out on much by skipping it? I've done every other side quest so far.

I never completed it for the same reason, although I also never finished the game for the same reason

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

You can just do the vampire sidequest in a later chapter where it'll be easier if you don't mind waiting for the class

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the only penalty will be having to wait until chapter 8 for some of the enemy skills to be available again.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Lost Dimension has people die at regular intervals but you get their powers to equip on another guy, so even if you leveled up someone and then have to kill them you aren't at a disadvantage. But since it's not determined who will die the writing kind of suffers as a result

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

The Colonel posted:

actually doesn't ultima v have a thing where if you get captured and you don't tell the main villain the location of one of the stones he's trying to destroy, one of your party members will be brutally killed?
If you tell him anything, Blackthorn kills one of your party members anyway, because he's an rear end in a top hat. And yes, it's permanent. You can only avoid it by not getting captured.

On that note, Ultima VII Part 2 does feature almost every NPC in the entire world dying, and one party member does die permanently as part of the story. It's kinda toward the end though so it doesn't really do a whole lot, plus it's hard to feel like one death matters after 95% of all NPCs in the game are brutally murdered by your best friends.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nakar posted:

If you tell him anything, Blackthorn kills one of your party members anyway, because he's an rear end in a top hat. And yes, it's permanent. You can only avoid it by not getting captured.

On that note, Ultima VII Part 2 does feature almost every NPC in the entire world dying, and one party member does die permanently as part of the story. It's kinda toward the end though so it doesn't really do a whole lot, plus it's hard to feel like one death matters after 95% of all NPCs in the game are brutally murdered by your best friends.

It's also hard to feel bad when the protagonist just completely forgets about it at the start of 9 anyway.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah the only penalty will be having to wait until chapter 8 for some of the enemy skills to be available again.

Oh, okay. I'd read that it gets harder if you do it in a later chapter or something, but if that isn't the case I'll definitely wait.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Verranicus posted:

Oh, okay. I'd read that it gets harder if you do it in a later chapter or something, but if that isn't the case I'll definitely wait.

It does. The bosses level up on later cycles after... 5? 6? One of them is identical, I forget which.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

It's also hard to feel bad when the protagonist just completely forgets about it at the start of 9 anyway.
At that point the Avatar had basically condemned another world to its apocalypse and then stopped it only at the last second and then left, so God only knows what kind of chaos Pagan descended into.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they get stronger but i feel you outpace them so it ends up easier overall. i did it in like 5 or 6 i think so i can't speak for what it'd be like in 7/8

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Has there been a jRPG/Traditional RPG where main cast members die regularly or at least more than the usual 0-1 protagonists that die? I've been thinking about character death/permadeath as a game mechanic, mostly spurred on by how loving boring FE's handling of it is.

Romancing Saga 2, where you get a new main character (who is the child of the last main character) every time you finish a major portion of the game. Your options for children are sort of based around stuff you did that generation as well, IIRC. I can't remember what happens if you just actually die though.

It's a really weird game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

that one treasure of the rudras protagonist can't stop dying. he dies like 3 times.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nakar posted:

At that point the Avatar had basically condemned another world to its apocalypse and then stopped it only at the last second and then left, so God only knows what kind of chaos Pagan descended into.

I dunno, I kind of like the idea of the Avatar having to make had choices that could gently caress things up if he wanted to get home. really test their mettle.

Too bad Pagan was a nightmare of bugs and errors, the backstory and lore for the setting was actually pretty cool.

The poo poo in Ascension where it felt like a fake reboot where nothing from 7's expansion and pack onward happened was always the worst poo poo.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Avatar posted:

What's a paladin?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

END ME SCOOB posted:

It does. The bosses level up on later cycles after... 5? 6? One of them is identical, I forget which.

After 5, iirc. The vampire stays the same between 4 and 5. Beating him early is just a bonus.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

You can beat the vampire boss and his dragons on auto with just a ninja spamming that physical dodge move and dodge counterattack skill though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sam Faust posted:

You can beat the vampire boss and his dragons on auto with just a ninja spamming that physical dodge move and dodge counterattack skill though.

Yeah a lot of "magic" attacks are actually physical so that dodge is aces for plenty of tough fights.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Has there been a jRPG/Traditional RPG where main cast members die regularly or at least more than the usual 0-1 protagonists that die? I've been thinking about character death/permadeath as a game mechanic, mostly spurred on by how loving boring FE's handling of it is.

Might not be what you're looking for but SaGa Frontier 2 basically plays over the span of ~70 years, with new characters being born and dying as you play through the story.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Agarest has "generations" where the previous generation get older/die off. (Though there's ways to revive them)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

pleas edont tell people to play agarest

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Sam Faust posted:

Yeah but I have no ninjas and don't feel like mindlessly grinding JP.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Verranicus posted:

Yeah but I have no ninjas and don't feel like mindlessly grinding JP.

It takes like maybe half an hour to get to level 99 once you're past a certain point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

It takes like maybe half an hour to get to level 99 once you're past a certain point.

Once you've hit the point you can get to the dragons maxing out jobs is like a 15 minute exercise tops due to the absurd jumps in JP offered by regular encounters.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Regarding character death, Banner Saga is like fantasy Oregon trail and there's maybe 4 characters that are sacred until the end. There are a lot of triggers that check for living characters so it avoids the Final Fantasy Tactics problem where a named character joins your team and stops having dialog. There's even an achievement for keeping a red shirt alive until the end who basically acts as a meat shield when another character could die due to a random event.

I just wish the game played better because Oregon Trail RPG is a neat concept to me.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

corn in the bible posted:

pleas edont tell people to play agarest
Even if they did it's stupid and not really what they want because only the protagonist and their wife options "die" and then it's just an offscreen dumb ritual thing that has no impact whatsoever. Pretty much all side characters are immortal, sometimes literally so. There's like four characters in the entire thing that even visibly age.

It's really bad, for many reasons, the insufficiency of meaningful death being but one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVcc16o0SaY

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In before somebody gets mad about that track again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Motto posted:

In before somebody gets mad about that track again.

what, who the heck would do that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Trails of Cold Steel just plain isn't doing it for me about 6 hours in, and I'm not really sure why. Might be I just don't have the patience for long RPGs anymore or am liking the payoff of combat/stories less, I dunno

That said every time I hear music from the Atelier games I want to try one, though I know it'll probably fall by the wayside like it looks like cold steel is going to

If I bought an Atelier game I guess it should be Escha & Logy? That's the newest one right now, right

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

nah get atelier ayesha, it's the start of the trilogy eschatology is part of

the most recent is actually shallie

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Guess I'll give it a look, maybe it'll work where ToCS isn't. I wish I better understood why RPGs don't seem to do it for me anymore, I used to devour the fuckin' things anime-as-heck or no, and lord knows I can still put hundreds of hours into games

Is this from the ending or something 'cos dang I really like it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsTAmMxrxVQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Guess I'll give it a look, maybe it'll work where ToCS isn't. I wish I better understood why RPGs don't seem to do it for me anymore, I used to devour the fuckin' things anime-as-heck or no, and lord knows I can still put hundreds of hours into games

Is this from the ending or something 'cos dang I really like it

it's the final boss theme iirc