Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Velveteen posted:

So I was doing maps when I see Cadiro eagerly trying to sell me one of his precious items. I went to him and he offered me an aegis aurora for cheap and I immediately bought it. What is this shield good for? I know its expensive but is there a build that uses this? I was thinking of selling it and buying something like shavronne's since I get to try low life builds for once unless there is something fun to use it with.

You use it with a max block build to never run out of energy shield. I don't know of any current popular builds with it but it was popular in one of the "Blender" builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

I can't handle owing people 100 hours of coin farming!

If I actually sell the drat thing at that price everyone who helped will receive a cut.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

funmanguy posted:

I'm the goon with the most buttcoins in the guild and I love this league. League is good, game is good. Got a scolds to have some fun with.

Bro, i got a scolds (again) too. What ascendancy/build are you thinking?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've always wanted an essence drainer that would auto cast contagion, that could be done via scold's

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Vanguard Warden posted:

Using the official skill tree, I've been working towards a build like this.

I've got nowhere near enough points to comfortably go crit, so I've been trying to scale the damage with the duration nodes I already have by using poison. The primary link is Blade Vortex + Poison + Spell Echo + Controlled Destruction. Additional links could be used for Faster Casting, Increased Duration, Life Leech, Increased Area of Effect or Concentrated Effect, depending on what you're looking for.

For gear, other than Cybil's Paw (and a Rathpith Globe I can't yet afford), stacking energy shield gear with life and resists covers everything. Physical damage is mitigated through Enduring Cry, a Chaos Golem and Arctic Armor. The only things the build finds really dangerous are occasional huge hits that you don't manage to block, which you can only really manage by building a really huge combined pool of life and energy shield while cursing everything with Enfeeble.

So with EB and ZO, does that mean you've got to constantly be hitting your flasks when you do take hits?

And are you using a bunch of auras w/this?

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

I'm running a crit shock nova inquisitor which is really fun so far, the dps is great and its lots of fun whirling around between packs and blowing them all up with one crit, but I'm having big problems with survivability and I'm not sure the right way to go. I could go either EB/MoM/ZO, EB/MoM/Ghost Reaver, or go Vaal Pact instead and try to cast on mana but have to give up Arctic Armour. I haven't played a life/es caster in a while so I'm not really sure what people do for survivability, or whats a good es amount to have before going EB

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

I've always wanted an essence drainer that would auto cast contagion, that could be done via scold's

contagion is a trap. Roll a deadeye/something else(occultist or berserker) scion essence drainer, pick up the 50% pierce on the tree, throw six 100% pierce chance essence drains through a pack of enemies and then find another pack of enemies to do that to while the first dies.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NecroMonster posted:

contagion is a trap. Roll a deadeye/something else(occultist or berserker) scion essence drainer, pick up the 50% pierce on the tree, throw six 100% pierce chance essence drains through a pack of enemies and then find another pack of enemies to do that to while the first dies.

also: get that bow with +1 chain and a drillneck, become a bow caster!

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Bingo posted:

I'm running a crit shock nova inquisitor which is really fun so far, the dps is great and its lots of fun whirling around between packs and blowing them all up with one crit, but I'm having big problems with survivability and I'm not sure the right way to go. I could go either EB/MoM/ZO, EB/MoM/Ghost Reaver, or go Vaal Pact instead and try to cast on mana but have to give up Arctic Armour. I haven't played a life/es caster in a while so I'm not really sure what people do for survivability, or whats a good es amount to have before going EB

I'm running crit spark inquisitor so our set-ups should be fairly similar, easiest way to get good defense and solve your mana regen issues in one go is to get a Stone Golem, get EB/MoM/ZO and buy a good ES shield (250+ ES, costs a couple of chaos at most). ZO works great with Stone Golem, effectively giving you 90+ extra mana regen. I switched at a little over 1k ES and I've had zero issues, it works great. You might have already done that but I run my whirling blades with faster attacks and foritfy for extra defense and good mobility. Put it in a 4-link with Blood Magic so your ES can regen better but it should be okay without.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I recommend putting your stone golem in a CWDT setup so it's summoned again whenever you're damaged.

Ekster fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Mar 8, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
nvm

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Mar 9, 2016

Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

Ekster posted:

I'm running crit spark inquisitor so our set-ups should be fairly similar, easiest way to get good defense and solve your mana regen issues in one go is to get a Stone Golem, get EB/MoM/ZO and buy a good ES shield (250+ ES, costs a couple of chaos at most). ZO works great with Stone Golem, effectively giving you 90+ extra mana regen. I switched at a little over 1k ES and I've had zero issues, it works great. You might have already done that but I run my whirling blades with faster attacks and foritfy for extra defense and good mobility. Put it in a 4-link with Blood Magic so your ES can regen better but it should be okay without.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I recommend putting your stone golem in a CWDT setup so it's summoned again whenever you're damaged.

Good call on the golem, I'll give that a shot.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

also: get that bow with +1 chain and a drillneck, become a bow caster!

Chain won't do you any good. You need a +1 all gems bow (sadly the easiest way to actually get that is a crafted +1 gems +2 bow gems bow, which will cost $$$) and a drillneck

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Magus42 posted:

So with EB and ZO, does that mean you've got to constantly be hitting your flasks when you do take hits?

Bone Offering restores several hundred health every time you block. Additionally, each Blade Vortex blade restores 5~8hp per hit (depending on how your Cybil's Paw rolled) which adds up pretty quickly.

I'm not sure about their build, but mine plans on running Hatred and Haste together, since you don't need your mana pool.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

NecroMonster posted:

Chain won't do you any good. You need a +1 all gems bow (sadly the easiest way to actually get that is a crafted +1 gems +2 bow gems bow, which will cost $$$) and a drillneck

can't you just spam alts to get a simple +1 bow?

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

MannersPlease posted:

Bro, i got a scolds (again) too. What ascendancy/build are you thinking?

Vaal Molten Shell with a consuming dark and doon cuebiyari. Also that babies first lightning coil but for fire damage. I've heard flameblast is good for triggering VMS, I'll play with that and incinerate.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Mystery Prize posted:

I can't handle owing people 100 hours of coin farming!

If I actually sell the drat thing at that price everyone who helped will receive a cut.

I know how you are feeling. I know it won't help, but there is no rush to pay me back.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

The Real Foogla posted:

I think you'd be better off buying a bow with +1 all gems, high proj speed, and maybe a crit multi roll if you are trying to crit with spark. There are three bows for sale with the +1 gems and proj speed on PSC right now, the most expensive one is 4c.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Magus42 posted:

As another guy said, health is recovered whenever I block with Bone Offering up, and whenever anything gets hit by a Blade Vortex.

For mana reservation, I run Arctic Armor for the damage reduction because I spend so much time standing still while charging up vortex stacks. Right now I'm also running Discipline and Vitality to keep my energy shield high even while casting. The primary weakness of high-block builds is getting one-shot, and Mind Over Matter can only help with that if you have around ~43% of your maximum life as spare energy shield whenever you get hit.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I've been playing this game since Piety was the last boss and I finally made my first 5L ever. This says more about me being gambling averse than anyone else. Like I've probably used less than 50 fusings on things with 5 sockets on them since starting this game.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Vanguard Warden posted:

As another guy said, health is recovered whenever I block with Bone Offering up, and whenever anything gets hit by a Blade Vortex.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info :)

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Vanguard Warden posted:

For mana reservation, I run Arctic Armor for the damage reduction because I spend so much time standing still while charging up vortex stacks. Right now I'm also running Discipline and Vitality to keep my energy shield high even while casting. The primary weakness of high-block builds is getting one-shot, and Mind Over Matter can only help with that if you have around ~43% of your maximum life as spare energy shield whenever you get hit.

Try running Stone Golem and Whirling Blades + Fortify, if you're not already. Enduring Cry also works like a 4s cooldown mana potion. I'm of the opinion that Haste is "too good to pass up" for Blade Vortex builds. Makes your Whirling Blades faster, lets you move faster when you're not using WB to get around, and lets you stack blades faster. Gets even crazier when you pop Vaal Haste.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

With mjolner so cheap this league I kinda want to do a build, was looking at the Templar and it looks like the heirophant could get around the volls devotion but not sure if it would be worth it.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Hey, Hey Tora.

I found the lair.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

She's a bit of a coward.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Hey, Hey Tora.

I found the lair.

I got a vorici the other day, where the instant I accepted, the exile plus guards literally appeared on top of me. At least it was a "kill dude" and not "don't kill dudes" variant.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!
If I could get an invite to the guild that would be pretty sweet!
Currently leveling on Redshirtquaker

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Hauki posted:

I got a vorici the other day, where the instant I accepted, the exile plus guards literally appeared on top of me. At least it was a "kill dude" and not "don't kill dudes" variant.

Do people just ignore the "Dont kill dudes" variant when they have inappropriate builds? I'm running Cyclone and the precision targeting really isn't in my skillset.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Tykero posted:

Try running Stone Golem and Whirling Blades + Fortify, if you're not already.

Oh crap, I had completely forgotten that Cybil's Paw was a claw, and to a certain degree that claws were even a thing. I had just been thinking that I couldn't use Whirling Blades because my weapon wasn't a dagger or a sword.

Does skill effect duration work on Fortify?

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

How is sunder looking as a first char build option?

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Bob NewSCART posted:

How is sunder looking as a first char build option?

Sunder is good, but Earthquake is basically always going to be better once you get to it. Use Sunder to level to 28, then start quakin'

Edit: best vaal brick I've ever seen

Mystery Prize fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 8, 2016

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Vanguard Warden posted:

Oh crap, I had completely forgotten that Cybil's Paw was a claw, and to a certain degree that claws were even a thing. I had just been thinking that I couldn't use Whirling Blades because my weapon wasn't a dagger or a sword.

Does skill effect duration work on Fortify?

I don't think it does, unfortunately. The base duration is pretty generous, though.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Real Foogla posted:

+1 all gems is rare enough that just spamming alts hoping to get it is sort of a bad idea

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm liking my Scion Deadeye spark caster, 100% pierce chance is hilarious, everything makes a loud explosion 2 screens away from a cast or two, problem is ele reflect is murder and I have no damage mitigation at all, having a hard time figuring out ways to stay alive.

Thinking it might be time to make a new build out of some of the quality gems I've found farming, what would be a good character for farming izaro and atziri without multiple exalt's of rare uniques?

Thinking of trying one of these and curious what would be good for fast farming and boss murder.

Ice trapper saboteur
Blade vortex necromancer tank
Righteous fire chieftain
SRS necromancer

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Rakeris posted:

With mjolner so cheap this league I kinda want to do a build, was looking at the Templar and it looks like the heirophant could get around the volls devotion but not sure if it would be worth it.
Oh wow. Down to 36c already. Dirt poor leveler right now, but going to pick one up as soon as I can. Then figure out what to do with the stat requirements somehow.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Mjolner's are 40c each but a Divinarius for my BV Witch is still at least 1ex. :psyduck:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm liking my Scion Deadeye spark caster, 100% pierce chance is hilarious, everything makes a loud explosion 2 screens away from a cast or two, problem is ele reflect is murder and I have no damage mitigation at all, having a hard time figuring out ways to stay alive.

Thinking it might be time to make a new build out of some of the quality gems I've found farming, what would be a good character for farming izaro and atziri without multiple exalt's of rare uniques?

Thinking of trying one of these and curious what would be good for fast farming and boss murder.

Ice trapper saboteur
Blade vortex necromancer tank
Righteous fire chieftain
SRS necromancer

RF chieftain is what I do and it is effortless murder

it is one of the best normal atziri killers ever. pre-cruel lab before you get your second ascendency points its not as great as other classes but man afterwards you never die and everything suicides themselves on your death circles

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Mjolner has not kept up with the times in terms of power, especially with no Voll's Devotion. It requires a very dedicated tree and gearing and a good computer on top of that. Cast on Crit Discharge is often stronger unless you are doing the full out perfect gear Mjolner, and there are lots of other cheaper and much stronger builds now.

EDIT: It also kinda sucks to level since so much of your tree is just pathing for stats and you don't get damage till suuuuper late.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 9, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Cinara posted:

Mjolner has not kept up with the times in terms of power, especially with no Voll's Devotion. It requires a very dedicated tree and gearing and a good computer on top of that. Cast on Crit Discharge is often stronger unless you are doing the full out perfect gear Mjolner, and there are lots of other cheaper and much stronger builds now.

EDIT: It also kinda sucks to level since so much of your tree is just pathing for stats and you don't get damage till suuuuper late.
having played 3 non-voll's mjolner dudes to high 80s, this is all at least partially true

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

can someone link a RF build/guide? it's something that's always been interesting to me but I dont know poo poo about how to make one.

do people just use totems for it nowadays?

baram. fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, I played a Lowlife Mjolner with Volls last league, and sure it was strong and I could do almost any content besides Uber Atziri. But for the 20-30ex budget I could have played several other much stronger builds that didn't bring my FPS to zero on giant packs.

RF Totems are incredibly strong and need no expensive gear at all to clear just about anything. It's not the fastest clearing build, but it's not slow either.

Few people do self cast RF alone anymore, but there's lots of RF + X spell builds out there. RF + Blade Vortex being a very strong one.

• Locked thread