Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

katkillad2 posted:

Leave the battle animations on and watch every one to add another 3-5 hours of gameplay. I must be bad at Fire Emblem, through all of Birthright I only had one kid and had no clue there were a ton of other paralogue missions for other kids.

You can also just skip battles animations if you hit Start. I leave animation on and skip any fight that is one sided for my party. Which is usually anytime Ryoma is fighting someone and he is so fast that the enemy hit percent is 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You don't need to hit start, holding down L allows you to skip animations if you have them on and watch animations if you've turned them off.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Are those bonus items you get for owning multiple routes available on every new save? I kind of figured they wouldn't be limited, but I haven't used any anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Armor-Piercing posted:

Are those bonus items you get for owning multiple routes available on every new save? I kind of figured they wouldn't be limited, but I haven't used any anyway.

Yep, you get redeem them once for each save file. The rewards you get for visiting/battling other people's Castle work the same way, and your accumulated points carry over between files.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

enojy posted:

Also worth noting that your difficulty and casual/classic setting carry over from branch of fate. So if you play one on Normal/Casual, for example, and want to play the next on Hard/Classic, you have to start over from the beginning.

I'm playing on Easy/Classic because I want the stakes to be high, but it's also my first Fire Emblem game and I don't want to get totally hosed while I'm still trying to figure out how poo poo works.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

katkillad2 posted:

Leave the battle animations on and watch every one to add another 3-5 hours of gameplay. I must be bad at Fire Emblem, through all of Birthright I only had one kid and had no clue there were a ton of other paralogue missions for other kids.

I manually skip those 'cause sometimes I wanna see that slow mow death strip happen

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

So I got a New 3DS XL along with a 32 GB microSD card and the console has no intention of working with the drat thing. I reformatted the card to FAT32 like 10 times, checking different sector sizes (also tried formatting only 16GB as well) with both Windows and SD Formatter and nothing. The DS keeps rejecting it. The 4GB card that came with the 3DS works fine in it, but the 32GB one shows no problem in Windows/my GPS either. What the gently caress is happening.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

mmkay posted:

So I got a New 3DS XL along with a 32 GB microSD card and the console has no intention of working with the drat thing. I reformatted the card to FAT32 like 10 times, checking different sector sizes (also tried formatting only 16GB as well) with both Windows and SD Formatter and nothing. The DS keeps rejecting it. The 4GB card that came with the 3DS works fine in it, but the 32GB one shows no problem in Windows/my GPS either. What the gently caress is happening.

Could be a defective card? If the 4 GB one works, then you know it's probably not the 3DS itself having a problem. Try wiping the contacts with rubbing alcohol, maybe. I've had a 2DS or an old3DSXL be cantankerous about accepting full-size SD cards in the past because they weren't quite "seated" on all contacts.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Terper posted:

You don't need to hit start, holding down L allows you to skip animations if you have them on and watch animations if you've turned them off.

:aaa:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

deadly_pudding posted:

Could be a defective card? If the 4 GB one works, then you know it's probably not the 3DS itself having a problem. Try wiping the contacts with rubbing alcohol, maybe. I've had a 2DS or an old3DSXL be cantankerous about accepting full-size SD cards in the past because they weren't quite "seated" on all contacts.

Yea, I was thinking defective card as well, except I started sticking the thing into every device I had and nothing had a problem with it except the DS. I tried cleaning it up with some isopropyl and no dice. Seems I'll need to grab a new one, is there some magical list of 'avoid these manufacturers' that Nintendo hid somewhere, or was this just a luck of the draw?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Stella Glow Impressions - (LIVE THE ANIME)

Disclaimer: If you don't like anime tropes, gratuitous fan-service, and the like, Stella Glow is definitely not for you.

I believe there are about 10-12 chapters in the game and at about 18 hours in I am just wrapping up chapter 5, so I believe I am close to half way done with the game, my thoughts are based on this.

I picked up Stella Glow for the 3DS recently and I'm genuinely enjoying it a lot. I only got a 3DS about 9 months ago so I've been slowly chewing through catalog (I only beat Fire Emblem Awakening about two months ago). One of my favorite games growing up was Final Fantasy: Tactics, so while I enjoyed Fire Emblem Awakening, it didn't quite scratch that Final Fantasy Tactics itch. I much preferred the small scale squad tactics of Final Fantasy Tactics to the large scale squad tactics of Fire Emblem Awakening or the disposable squad tactics of games like XCOM. It seems like most of the games in the vein of Final Fantasy Tactics have gone the way of the handheld, so I never had a chance to play them.

On to Stella Glow - this game has it's teeth sunk hard into me. For veterans of tactical RPGs, the game may seem fairly light in mechanics, but having really not played in the genre since Final Fantasy Tactics, it's settling in just fine for me.

* Story: *
The world is a world where songs don't exist other than from witches. An "evil" witch is turning the world to crystal for "reasons" and you must gather other witches to stop her. This game is incredibly anime so I'd venture to guess that the "evil" witch really isn't evil and is trying to stop some greater threat. I'm guessing toward the end of the game, we'll join forces and kill God. Isn't that how all anime video games go? Basically, the core story isn't anything spectacular.

* Mechanics: *
Combat plays out pretty much the same as other tactical RPGs. To this point, my squad size has been limited to six characters maximum though I have 9 at this point, and based off the character screen, it looks like there will be about 14 or so total characters. Character death in battle just means that they are gone from the battle. No repercussions beyond that (unless the mission failure state is to not let them die, of course).

Your main character is obviously the anime chosen one, so he can preform special actions in battle to unlock the power of the witch characters and do massive stage-wide attacks/buffs using power from a meter that builds up from all actions your group takes during a battle.

The game is broken up into two parts: free time and battle time. During battle time, obviously you're heading to the next storyline battle (though you can go back and grind random battles before heading to the storyline battle) and during free time you're given the chance to choose from a variety of options such as progressing your relationships with characters, working part time jobs, "exploring" the world for rare items, or tuning the witches. While progressing the relationships with the witches, occasionally progress will be halted until they are "tuned." Tuning a witch means you enter the witches heart to help them overcome a personal struggle, this manifests by a combat challenge such as "kill the enemies and reach the VIP" or "kill more enemies than your opponent" or "protect the VIP".

* Characters: *
I'm actually really liking the individual characters. It's true that many of them fall into classic anime stereotypes, but the individual interactions are one of the highlights for me. You have a great deal more interaction with the characters than you do in something like Fire Emblem Awakening, which was one of my major complaints for that game.

* Fan Service: *
Holy gently caress is there a lot of it in this game. This could be one of those games that people would find embarrassing to play on a commute (if you cared about that sort of thing). For example, this is one of the characters (bikini? clad shinobi) and the "evil" witch dresses like this. While going to "tune" the witches, they're all dressed in skimpy nightgowns and are posed provocatively because of course they are. Also, the conversations and relationships you build with characters make this game feel like the video game equivalent of a harem anime.

* Annoyances: *
To really get the most out of the game, you'll need to play it through twice due to free time restrictions. During "free time" you are given 3 chunks of time to work with. Talking to people, tuning witches, working part time jobs, and exploring all use up free time chunks. Both talking to people and working part time jobs have side stories associated with them. Working part time jobs earns you money and shows the story for side characters. Talking to people progresses your relationship and unlocks more abilities for the character. Tuning will be required just any time you reach a roadblock while talking to witches. So essentially, you're going to want to spend all of your free time talking to people - mainly the witches. This means you have to forsake talking to and unlocking the stories/abilities of non-Witch characters. It takes somewhere between 12-15 chunks of time to finish the relationship with a character. In the first play through, you will likely be able to max out the stories for 4-5 characters and unlock the first few story beats for a few others.

However, in new game plus, you're given 9 chunks of time for every free time, allowing you fully unlock the relationships with every character and max out (I believe all but one) part time jobs. You still won't have any time to explore for rare items. This is just my main annoyance as I tend to be a completionist in games.

In New Game Plus, all that carries over is the money you ended the game with - though money has never been an issue with me so far. The other NG+ benefits are the 9 chunks for free time instead of 3, and your characters will always get full experience for attacks on monsters of any level. (In the first play through, you receive significantly less (like 20%) experience for attacking enemies below your level).

* Final Thoughts: *
My recommendation of Stella Glow is not without the reservations. You should know what you're getting into before buying. If you tend to be a completionist, expect to go through two play throughs, which may be too much of a commitment for some people as the game appears to be about 40-50 hours in length. Also, if anime and fanservice turn you off - get out now.

But for me this game has been great and while I am mildly annoyed with having to do a second play through, I still plan on doing it as I've had a lot of fun with the journey thus far.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Erg posted:

Supports (which you're not going to see all of in one run unless you're insane), challenge runs, and variance in how units turn out as they level up

Supports (at least in Fire Emblem Awakening) are pretty loving boring and barely have any story in general.

What I learned from Fire Emblem Awakening is don't play Fire Emblem for the story, because it sucks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

But for me this game has been great and while I am mildly annoyed with having to do a second play through, I still plan on doing it as I've had a lot of fun with the journey thus far.

Luckily the game is super-generous with how fast you can move through dialogue, or skip it entirely, so on your second playthrough you can skip the scenes you have seen already and don't care to see again.

Also if you're the type of person who just skips everything in the first and only playthrough because you don't give a gently caress about story, then it isn't a game for you. I feel like a lot of my enjoyment of the game came from caring about the characters and what they have to say. The strategy gameplay is pretty solid but not worth the price all by itself.

Edit: For reference I'm a straight woman and I definitely could have done without the fanservice so that isn't really part of my enjoyment of the game, but oh my gosh this game is cute other than that.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 8, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mordiceius posted:

Supports (at least in Fire Emblem Awakening) are pretty loving boring and barely have any story in general.

What I learned from Fire Emblem Awakening is don't play Fire Emblem for the story, because it sucks.

It's because of the marriage system that they had to write so many of them that a lot of them are super inconsequential. Fates is a bit better about it, but yeah there a quite a few supports that are just talking about food or whatever.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

Luckily the game is super-generous with how fast you can move through dialogue, or skip it entirely, so on your second playthrough you can skip the scenes you have seen already and don't care to see again.

Also if you're the type of person who just skips everything in the first and only playthrough because you don't give a gently caress about story, then it isn't a game for you. I feel like a lot of my enjoyment of the game came from caring about the characters and what they have to say. The strategy gameplay is pretty solid but not worth the price all by itself.

I'm not skipping anything in the story. The core story has felt fairly generic/predictable so far (again, I'm only about half way through), but it doesn't really bother me because the free time interactions I have with characters feel great. Thus far, the core story feels like the video game equivalent of a generic blockbuster movie - it's an enjoyable romp but nothing has stood out as spectacular.

BattleMaster posted:

Edit: For reference I'm a straight woman and I definitely could have done without the fanservice so that isn't really part of my enjoyment of the game, but oh my gosh this game is cute other than that.

Oh totally, the game is incredibly cute and I love that. There have been quite a few story beats that have just brought a big grin to my face.

There has to be a hot springs section, right? Probably in like the 2nd to last chapter or something? No fanservice anime game would be complete without a hot springs section.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Mordiceius posted:

There has to be a hot springs section, right? Probably in like the 2nd to last chapter or something? No fanservice anime game would be complete without a hot springs section.
Stella Glow is the ur-anime. If it's in an anime, it's there. (Aside from a tournament arc, I think; I can't remember one, anyway.)

Also, please use Keith when you get him. Nobody uses Keith and his interactions are fantastic.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

I'm not skipping anything in the story. The core story has felt fairly generic/predictable so far (again, I'm only about half way through), but it doesn't really bother me because the free time interactions I have with characters feel great. Thus far, the core story feels like the video game equivalent of a generic blockbuster movie - it's an enjoyable romp but nothing has stood out as spectacular.

lol I wasn't accusing you of anything, just throwing out an additional warning to people who might want to play the game.

Mordiceius posted:

Oh totally, the game is incredibly cute and I love that. There have been quite a few story beats that have just brought a big grin to my face.

There's a hot springs scene because of course there is, but it's earlier than you might think.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Stella Glow is the ur-anime. If it's in an anime, it's there. (Aside from a tournament arc, I think; I can't remember one, anyway.)

Also, please use Keith when you get him. Nobody uses Keith and his interactions are fantastic.

I've used Keith and Mordi in all of the missions that I can use them in since they joined because I like them too much.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah, I'm just at the mission where I'm protecting Keith and Niki. Plot question: So far in this battle, Niki hasn't done anything. I know Mordi is going to be the next witch that joins, but Niki claimed to be a witch. So I'm assuming she's either lying and was going to sacrifice her life for Mordi or that she actually is the witch and is going to die and it's going to pass on to Mordi. Personally, I assume the former over the latter because it'd be hosed up to kill her off.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I'm just at the mission where I'm protecting Keith and Niki. Plot question: So far in this battle, Niki hasn't done anything. I know Mordi is going to be the next witch that joins, but Niki claimed to be a witch. So I'm assuming she's either lying and was going to sacrifice her life for Mordi or that she actually is the witch and is going to die and it's going to pass on to Mordi. Personally, I assume the former over the latter because it'd be hosed up to kill her off.

Mordi's story is way too good for me to want to spoil so keep on going. Obviously they telegraph Mordi being the Earth Witch if just from the box art, but yeah.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Huh, so you can downgrade o3ds, 2ds, and n3dses again so long as it's on sys menu 10.6 or below (current firmware revision) and have access to the homebrew stuff. Neat. Still a chance to brick your console if you make a mistake or gently caress up.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Something is Going On with Niki and Mordi and if you've been paying attention thus far you might have an idea of what it is, but yeah, I don't want to spoil it.

And yes Keith is the absolute best. He and Mordi are kinda...not great, mechanically, but how can you not use the king, that's just insolence

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

mmkay posted:

Yea, I was thinking defective card as well, except I started sticking the thing into every device I had and nothing had a problem with it except the DS. I tried cleaning it up with some isopropyl and no dice. Seems I'll need to grab a new one, is there some magical list of 'avoid these manufacturers' that Nintendo hid somewhere, or was this just a luck of the draw?

Just pick up one officially supported by Nintendo, and barring any defects, you should have no issues. Note that they only officially support up to 32GB -- larger sizes do work, but you might as well play it safe and keep it <=32GB since that's plenty huge enough for the 3DS. The majority of games are under 1GB; only a small handful break 2GB.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Something is Going On with Niki and Mordi and if you've been paying attention thus far you might have an idea of what it is, but yeah, I don't want to spoil it.

And yes Keith is the absolute best. He and Mordi are kinda...not great, mechanically, but how can you not use the king, that's just insolence

Mordi's decoys are good and her magic damage is high so her elemental spell hurts a lot. The low agility is kind of crap since it feeds into turn speed but also ranged attack, causing her not to do as much damage as you would expect with her 4 (!) guns.

Yeah, she hovers around (repelling herself off of the earth?) and telepathically floats four guns around her (metal comes from the ground?) like she's a spaceship in a scrolling shooter. And that's the least weird part of her character. I love it

Edit: But oh my gosh if you take Keith and Mordi on the same team as Alto, Sakuya, Rusty, and/or Nonoka you really feel how crap their Agility is. Those are supposed to be the fast characters, but they have like double the stat.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 8, 2016

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

My mainstays in Stella Glow were Alto, Rusty, and Nonoka, I just changed the rest of the party to suit the situation, so the movement issues for Archibald, Mordi, and Keith really slowed things down at times.

enojy posted:

Did you play on normal or easy? Supposedly, the sweet spot for Birthright is Hard. Anything below that, and the necessity for strategy kinda gets sucked out the window, and you're just going through the motions until all the bad guys are dead. I got a little over 40 hours out of Birthright on Hard, and it felt about right.

Hard is also good for Conquest (if you bought that also) but it's like fuckin hard. I'm stuck on Chapter 16 or 17, Revelation comes out in a few days, and I'm about to dump it down to Normal just to get it over with.

I played on Normal/Casual since I wasn't sure just how difficult it would be. It ended up being that my Avatar and Mozu the farm girl (turned into a Great Lord) would pretty much wipe a map on their own. From the posts here it's become pretty apparent that I had the difficulty set too low.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Variable_H posted:

My mainstays in Stella Glow were Alto, Rusty, and Nonoka, I just changed the rest of the party to suit the situation, so the movement issues for Archibald, Mordi, and Keith really slowed things down at times.
It takes a lot of dedication to a character with literally 3 movement, but if you max out Archibald's heart meter he gets +2 movement which makes him shockingly viable.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

It takes a lot of dedication to a character with literally 3 movement, but if you max out Archibald's heart meter he gets +2 movement which makes him shockingly viable.

I actually did end up doing that, but by the time I got him maxed out he was horribly under-leveled from having not been able to fight things, so he mostly got benched. I used him in the final battle though, and his level would jump two levels every time he defeated one of those hand things or one of the gems. I need to do the New Game Plus run still.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 8, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sakuya is so much faster than Keith or Mordi that if I pop off Cherry Blossoms sometimes they only get one chance to attack before she finishes singing :v:

Hell, Alto is one of the fast characters and sometimes he doesn't even get to attack between activating the song and the second tick of it. I like Cherry Blossoms better than Fiery Night at least to listen to but Fiery Night is just a lot more efficient because there's less wasted Crit Ups. Edit: There's also the fact that she has the best magic attack in the game so Fiery Night will kill all the enemy grunts from the field, but yeah

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 8, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I wish there were (maybe there are and I haven't gotten them) rings that upped movement speed.

Or in a perfect situation, there would be character specific "ultimate" armor/weapons that helped bring up the movement speed of slower characters.

I really like Stella Glow, but I think it would be really cool if, once you maxed a character's heart, you unlocked a character-story specific unique battle on the map where you earned an ult weapon/armor. Or even just a ring.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Mordiceius posted:

I wish there were (maybe there are and I haven't gotten them) rings that upped movement speed.

Or in a perfect situation, there would be character specific "ultimate" armor/weapons that helped bring up the movement speed of slower characters.

I really like Stella Glow, but I think it would be really cool if, once you maxed a character's heart, you unlocked a character-story specific unique battle on the map where you earned an ult weapon/armor. Or even just a ring.

I've been working on figuring out the game's data formats. I've figured out how to add new items and put them up for sale in the shop (in theory, I need to find some time to test it because repacking the game's files takes a while) so I was thinking of adding new +agility rings with increasing bonuses for sale in each chapter as a quick fix.

Ideally I want to figure out which stat is which in the character data and both normalize everyone's agility into a smaller range to fix the disparity as well as making the enemies stronger so the game is more difficult, but I'm having more trouble with the character stats than the item ones. The main thing is that the item stats can be cross-referenced with the extracted data to find out what column means what (and it's easier because the items have far fewer bonuses than characters have stats, and the item's description gives the exact values of the stats) but I don't have an idea of what the character base stats actually are or what the formulas for their progression are.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 8, 2016

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Holy dick it's been almost 10 full years since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. I liked those games! The plot was never anything to write home about but they were pretty solid fun. What's the studio doing now?

e: And by studio I guess I mean Square Enix, so, that's one question answered.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

RoboCicero posted:

Holy dick it's been almost 10 full years since Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. I liked those games! The plot was never anything to write home about but they were pretty solid fun. What's the studio doing now?

In general Square just released Rise of the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy Explorers, Bravely Second (depending on your territory), Just Cause 3; they're working on new Hitman, Deus Ex, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy games. They've got a lot of IPs that they develop stuff for, but I don't think they've made a tactical rpg in a while.

Edit: Dragon Quest Heroes is already out on PS4, not ported to PC yet though.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Want to say the last was the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre...

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Variable_H posted:

In general Square just released Rise of the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy Explorers, Bravely Second (depending on your territory), Just Cause 3; they're working on new Hitman, Deus Ex, Dragon Quest, and Final Fantasy games. They've got a lot of IPs that they develop stuff for, but I don't think they've made a tactical rpg in a while.

Actually it already on Steam, it was actually part of the weekend deal last week for $40.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410850/

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

i found my copy of advance wars: dual strike and it's a good game still

Thought you guys should know.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Rirse posted:

Actually it already on Steam, it was actually part of the weekend deal last week for $40.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410850/

I stand corrected.

Mordiceius, are you going for the True Ending in Stella Glow? Because you really should be going for the true ending.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Variable_H posted:

About half of those they don't actually develop for. Whatever teams they have for the Final Fantasy games are basically split between XV and XIV, with all the best people working on the MMO.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wish I could travel to the dimension where people bought Advance Wars and AW Fates: Orange Star/Black Hole just came out on 3DS

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

A judge said that new games are illegal.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

sorry friend

everyone's gone down the road of fire emblem: waifu wars now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

About half of those they don't actually develop for. Whatever teams they have for the Final Fantasy games are basically split between XV and XIV, with all the best people working on the MMO.

Jesus Christ, I'm just wrong about everything today, aren't I?