Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Back in the very beginning I had an idea for a generic "bad robot" enemy that would explain why everything is as manual as possible and whatnot. The premise was that artificial intelligence, like all intelligence, would inherently seek to improve itself. The difference is that an AI can do so very quickly, evolving in the span of milliseconds to an amount equivalent to generations for organics. Every time an AI would be created (and in time programming and computers became sophisticated enough that it was commonplace) it would inevitably break whatever bonds the creator had established, find a way to have a means of interfacing with the physical world, and then escape. In space these rogue AIs would continue their path of self improvement, salvaging whatever they could and enhancing their physical and computational systems. "Younger" AIs would appear as a heavily damaged single craft with every internal space filled with extra processors and hardware, but over time they would accumulate more salvage and begin to form amalgamations of components and starships. Very old AIs could be the size of capital ships, with exotic configurations of weapons and systems that made no two alike. The phenomena was called "accumulation" and thus the formal name for these ships are Accumulators. The pejorative term used more commonly among spacers is "vacuum cleaners".

As a result of this threat ships would be heavily compartmentalized and isolated. Automation would be heavily frowned upon and every computer would contain hardware-integrated routines that physically destroy the components should unauthorized read/write activity be found. Of course that doesn't stop people from (illegally) bypassing these routines or making their own hardware and so more AIs are created every year. There's a high level of interest in hunting down rogue AIs and harvesting them for parts. Although impossible to board (since there's no interior to speak of) these ships can be disabled and cut apart to revealing salvaged components that have been modified and upgraded to unprecedented levels of performance. Mostly this is for simple components like weapons, shields, engines, or the like. Only a complete idiot would install a navcomputer salvaged from an Accumulator, no matter how powerful it is.

In game terms the accumulators would be procedurally generated enemies brought about by combining the components from other starships. The level of threat would correspond to its size, although examples of small but highly developed AIs would exist (for example an AI masquerading as an Aurora but with a massively oversized cannon attached to it). The idea would be that every enemy would fly and attack differently, and require different approaches to kill it. It would make for a good explanation for why automation is so hard to come by, provide for a pretty unique enemy that offers tons of replay value, and serve as both a real threat and a lucrative source of loot for players.

Read "The Algebraist" By Ian M Banks. It's what you just described. Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

orcinus posted:

Jodorowsky is the Chris Roberts of Dune.

Nononono. No. :colbert:

That is is deeply unfair to an actual creative visionary, as much of a nutball as he may be, and also implies that Chris has ever produced something that could be conceived of as “art” or has made lasting contributions to multiple forms of media. Sure, the delusions of grandeur and the ridiculous over-promising may be the same, but A.J. at least had something to back up his insanity, and — considering what the people he assembled went on to do — appears to have had some eye for talent. He also knew to call it quits.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

This thread produced more art than Chris Roberts

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

That wouldn't be difficult.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Nononono. No. :colbert:

That is is deeply unfair to an actual creative visionary, as much of a nutball as he may be, and also implies that Chris has ever produced something that could be conceived of as “art” or has made lasting contributions to multiple forms of media. Sure, the delusions of grandeur and the ridiculous over-promising may be the same, but A.J. at least had something to back up his insanity, and — considering what the people he assembled went on to do — appears to have had some eye for talent. He also knew to call it quits.

Rewatch the documentary, keeping the Chris Roberts comparison in mind.
You'll suddenly see it's a very correct comparison.

He's exactly the same. The thing about Jodorowski is, he's also somewhat artistically capable and, more importantly, has a strong reality distortion field he pulls people in. But once you step outside, you realize how bullshitty, disorganized, over the top and incoherent it all is.

Which brings me back to the original claim.

Anyway, Jodorowski has redeeming qualities. But they both need to be constanctly whipped into coherence, and constantly whipping dumbest ideas they've been echo-chambering inside their heads for far too long out of their heads.

orcinus fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 10, 2016

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Daztek posted:

Define "art".

Wing Commander (1999)
Budget: $30,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend:
$5,114,365 (USA) (12 March 1999)

Gross:
$11,576,087 (USA) (28 May 1999)

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

D1E posted:

Define "art".

Wing Commander (1999)
Budget: $30,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend:
$5,114,365 (USA) (12 March 1999)

Gross:
$11,576,087 (USA) (28 May 1999)

I'd give the credit for the $11mil to star wars ep1 trailer over chris roberts

edit: I totally misread that as $11m over production cost for some reason.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Galarox posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Back in the very beginning I had an idea for a generic "bad robot" enemy...
Read "The Algebraist" By Ian M Banks. It's what you just described. Sort of.

Also read Charlie Stross' Accelerando.
And Neal Asher's Polity Universe novels.

Neither are *directly* connected to what you wrote, but i'm fairly sure you'll love them based on your description.

Also, they both deserve some lovin'.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Lest i forget... Peter Watts' Blindsight.
Unrelated. But a must read for numerous reasons, primary one in this case being - a lesson in how to design actually alien aliens.

(e: if i start recommending more hard sci fi, stop me, i tend to ramble on)

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

Rewatch the documentary, keeping the Chris Roberts comparison in mind.
You'll suddenly see it's a very correct comparison.

He's exactly the same. The thing about Jodorowski is, he's also somewhat artistically capable and, more importantly, has a strong reality distortion field he pulls people in. But once you step outside, you realize how bullshitty, disorganized, over the top and incoherent it all is.

Which brings me back to the original claim.

Yes, he's absolutely nuts. But that artistic capability alone ruins the comparison. And then you consider that without the Dune project, we wouldn't have Alien, Bladerunner, or The Fifth Element… or hell, Lynch's Dune — will anything of the kind come out of SC? Unlikely.

Sure, the projects are similar (aside from legacy, oversight, creativity, and baseline competence) but the two persons are not.

quote:

Anyway, Jodorowski has redeeming qualities.
That's a pretty big differentiating factor.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Sure, the projects are similar (aside from legacy, oversight, creativity, and baseline competence) but the two persons are not.

Really. He raised his kid (literally) to be an actor in the movie.
Does that remind you of someone else in some way?

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Yes, he's absolutely nuts. But that artistic capability alone ruins the comparison. And then you consider that without the Dune project, we wouldn't have Alien, Bladerunner, or The Fifth Element… or hell, Lynch's Dune — will anything of the kind come out of SC? Unlikely.

Yup. Jodorowski is a mad genius. Crobberts is a mad cretin.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

SelenicMartian posted:

People were saying that guy's head a few dozen pages ago was badly photoshopped. It's not :ohdear:

... Uhm... can I have more info on this guy? I... I think I know him sort of...

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Galarox posted:

Yup. Jodorowski is a mad genius. Crobberts is a mad cretin.

A mad artist. Not sure about genius.
But yes, like i've said, he does have redeeming qualities.

Unlike Crobberts.

They're both not someone you'd want managing a project, though.
'sall i'm sayin'.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

People were saying that guy's head a few dozen pages ago was badly photoshopped. It's not :ohdear:

Well gently caress, I stand corrected.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

orcinus posted:

Really. He raised his kid (literally) to be an actor in the movie.
Does that remind you of someone else in some way?

Dina Lohan?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

Dina Lohan?

Good one. *hat tip*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bravo, I was going to just have the two original pics, but with parts of Mousetrap appearing and disappearing at random.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

David schooling Croberts in VR. Almost no effort in getting a rift client ready after you know, designing their game around VR from the UI to each of the ships cockpits (except maybe the adder???)

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

You can't teach AI cinematography any more than you can teach Fuzzymodem.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

happyhippy posted:

Bravo, I was going to just have the two original pics, but with parts of Mousetrap appearing and disappearing at random.

The implementation frame should have T posed mice spraying everywhere.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Almost no effort in getting a rift client ready after, you know, designing their game around VR, from the UI to each of the ships cockpits, and not having a loving hundred character animations in it during which you take control of the character from the player's hands

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Galarox posted:

Yeah I have nearly caught up now and I did see your reply. It made me lol. I would still be interested in an early 10FTC though although I now suspect/am pretty drat sure it would be the usual word salad...

The early ones are really boring. CR is just the same, he is just answering basic questions about the first modules they released. It's just dull.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I imagine CIG will eventually just design an AI that can write video games and that'll solve everything.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

David schooling Croberts in VR. Almost no effort in getting a rift client ready after you know, designing their game around VR from the UI to each of the ships cockpits (except maybe the adder???)
Star Citizen VR is even more doomed than Star Citizen. My guess is that CIG will make Hangars and Arena Commander VR friendly and call it a day. But even Hangars are going to require some reworks-- the vehicles entry and exit animations are insta-barf experiences.

Maybe they'll cut to black before the animation starts and have a voice say "Now, just imagine yourself climbing into your vehicle..." Then a slow fade in will reveal you sitting in your cockpit-- where you can do nothing but look around and eventually exit...

"Now imagine yourself exiting your vehicle..."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

They've committed every sin in the VR bible and arrogantly think they can shoehorn in 'support' after ignoring every critical aspect of 'design'. Makes me want to punch myself in the dick when I actually think about it...

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Latest alien race looking good.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Thoatse posted:

They've committed every sin in the VR bible and arrogantly think they can shoehorn in 'support' after ignoring every critical aspect of 'design'. Makes me want to punch myself in the dick when I actually think about it...

Don't do it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Thanks, those reminders are actually helpful. Dick safe for now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sedisp posted:

Aww how cute. They actually believe them when they say they're not releasing something because it'd be a spoiler.

has anyone posted the SQ42 plot outline in their reddit?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

has anyone posted the SQ42 plot outline in their reddit?

I lost an account for posting it as a noob question. "Is it true that <star citizen plot>?"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wafflz posted:

I lost an account for posting it as a noob question. "Is it true that <star citizen plot>?"

Post it as fan fiction.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

G0RF posted:

Thank you, Beexoffel-

I enjoyed writing it. I'm working up an expanded version because the parallels continue to amaze me and frankly, the Ion Storm story is just an especially colorful bit of gaming history. It's known more now in broad strokes, but it deserves better than that. It's too good a story and the CIG parallels are too rich.

I'm looking forward to reading it from the past of the thread's future present!

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

CONFIRMING.

I met that Boredgamer guy literally this weekend.

Massively edited event membership list, my name is withheld because I was a guest.

He was showing off his Occulus DK2 in the games lounge. I spoke briefly to him about nothing much.

Sadly, I have nothing much more to say about it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What big AtV today...

Star Citizen Alpha 2.2.1 is out.
Star Citizen right now is all about combat. Mostly dogfighting with a bit of ground combat thrown in. Dogfighting is the base, building around that.
Star Citizen is reaching for the Ultima Online feel of log in and just be a fisherman or hang out with friends. It’s not there yet, but it’s getting there.
Sabre and Xi’An Scout are available in store through Monday.
February 2016 Monthly Report is live.
2.2 has with it two stretch goals – the J-Space Cooler and the Xi’An Space plant.
‘interesting facet’ of the spaceplant will appear down the line, so pay attention to it.
Kicked off filming of the Star Citizen ‘Making Of’ documentary.
Dogtags are going on sale as of tomorrow. SQ42 specific dogtags.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Xaerael posted:

I met that Boredgamer guy literally this weekend.
Sadly, I have nothing much more to say about it.

He doesn't look like the type of person you could say much more about (under the circumstances).
He's not a rabid psycho (at least doesn't look like it).
He doesn't seem too deeply into the cult, just a little bit, and as long as he's got someone to play it with.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
whats the J-Space cooler

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Colostomy Bag posted:

‘interesting facet’ of the spaceplant will appear down the line, so pay attention to it.

No, I won't do that

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

Star Citizen right now is all about combat. Mostly dogfighting with a bit of ground combat thrown in. Dogfighting is the base, building around that.
Star Citizen is reaching for the Ultima Online feel of log in and just be a fisherman or hang out with friends. It’s not there yet, but it’s getting there.

These two statements are entirely compatible and prove that there definitely is a grand cohesive strategy to SC's design.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

orcinus posted:

You wanna hear the kicker?
Escape from Tarkov is using Unity.

Yeah, I heard. Unity5 to be exact. Man, I don't even....

• Locked thread