Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I wonder who that is in the vat.

It's not Bucky (he's standing behind Iron Man) but it's the same facility that Bucky was in earlier in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The interesting thing is that they give away Tony is the one in the wrong during the trailer. Like they're trying to make it ambiguous but it's pretty obvious.

By the end, at that moment where he's fist fighting Tony and is all torn up and broken down, he repeats his line from the first movie before he ever even got powers. What he told the bullies. He could do this all day.

Stark is a bully in the eyes of Rogers and is treated as such by the narrative.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Burkion posted:

The interesting thing is that they give away Tony is the one in the wrong during the trailer. Like they're trying to make it ambiguous but it's pretty obvious.

By the end, at that moment where he's fist fighting Tony and is all torn up and broken down, he repeats his line from the first movie before he ever even got powers. What he told the bullies. He could do this all day.

it's captain america's movie hoss

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Rhyno posted:

It's so good but I really love Winter Soldier.

Same.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
What the hell is going on with Downey's facial hair? Are those horns, are they trying to make the most antagonising goatee yet?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Honest Thief posted:

What the hell is going on with Downey's facial hair? Are those horns, are they trying to make the most antagonising goatee yet?

It's like the Batmobile, people would be disappointed if it was the same thing every time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

It's so good but I really love Winter Soldier.

Black widow's speech at the end nearly ruins the movie for me.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Burkion posted:

Steve Rogers is always right because he's always on the side of freedom. Tony Stark is the frightened reactionary trying to get control of an uncontrollable situation.

I'm sure Tony will have good points but will bungle his execution, as per usual for his character and Marvel's flailing attempts to make shades of moral gray.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wonder who that is in the vat.

It's not Bucky (he's standing behind Iron Man) but it's the same facility that Bucky was in earlier in the trailer.

Looks like Stilt Man.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Looks like Stilt Man.

The Daredevil tie in we've all been waiting for.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Burkion posted:

And Cap may well be picking a completely unnecessary fight. Chris Evans has said before that his read on the character is that Rogers is quick to pick a fight where words would do a better job, and quick to take self-sacrificing options when a problem can be thought around. Steve has no life or mentality outside being Captain America. All he knows how to do is fight.

I want to see him wrong. I want to see Cap wrestle with making a genuine fuckup. Because he hasn't made one yet. He's been misguided and trusted the wrong people, but never genuinely wrong. I want to see what happens to Captain America when he realizes he's made a genuine mistake that's gotten people hurt if not killed.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Spider-man suit looks about as good as Green Lantern's did.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Black widow's speech at the end nearly ruins the movie for me.

Amy Adams and her "I'm a Pulitzer Prize winning reporter" bit really pushed me out of MoS for a few minutes. All films have their weak spots.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"Swing away Merrill."

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Boob Marley posted:

Here is chart that includes Sony's Spider-Man shared universe, Fox's X-men shared universe, and Chris Nolan's very own special Batman universe.
Nolan's three films absolutely blow every other movie out and are lumped at the top, so for the sake of having nice neat book-ends I threw in Fox's Fantastic Four shared universe.

so the best comic book movies ever created that also made billions of dollars are DC movies? you sure owned them

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

My only question is why do you have Rotten in green and Good in red? This is running counter to everything I learned in childhood games and in driving. I'm just rolling with Certified Fresh being gold instead of yellow. If you're going to quantify feelings please do so with proper color schemes.

Burkion posted:

Tony is always wrong and Cap is always right. This is true throughout all the Marvel movies. Tony works to correct his and his families' mistakes while Cap works to correct the mistakes of others. The crux of the problem with the entire Civil War and Registration concepts is that in order to have Cap be against them they have to be wrong simply by nature of both his character and his place in the universe. This is even more true in the comics, though they certainly went out of their way to make the pro-registration side monsterous there, and were somehow surprised that the readership was not at all evenly divided but overwhelmingly on Cap's side.

Of course there's also the issue that historic precedent for the registration of people with the government is pretty solidly in the bad, bad things happening column. Additionally for the comics, Mutant Registration already set the tone for the registration of super powered individuals being super bad.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Chris Nolan Universe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

net cafe scandal posted:

Chris Nolan Universe.

The Nolanverse.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jutsuka posted:

Taking a closer look at the screen where Thunderbolt Ross is showing the clips from previous films the canon deathtoll is as follows:

The Avengers
Overall losses $18.8 billion, 74 casualties.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Overall losses $2.8 billion, 23 casualties.

Avengers: Age of Ultron
Overall losses $474 billion, 177 casualties.

So in three films depicting an alien invasion of New York led by an Asgardian god, three helicarriers crashing in the middle of Washington D.C. and a rogue A.I. intent on engineering an extinction level event the total loss of life is 274 people.

If we took Iron Man's boast about "privatizing world peace" as accurate in Iron Man 2, The Avengers are significantly less costly and more humane than real world America's interventionist strategies.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HIJK posted:

Steve Rogers is always right because he's always on the side of freedom. Tony Stark is the frightened reactionary trying to get control of an uncontrollable situation.

I'm sure Tony will have good points but will bungle his execution, as per usual for his character and Marvel's flailing attempts to make shades of moral gray.

The whole "Tony Stark has the emotional, human motives" thing, translated from Marketing to English, means "we finally figured out the concept of a sympathetic villain in a movie."

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 11, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

All 74 people must have been in this building when the space whale flies through it causing it to collapse.

Or maybe it was one of those empty buildings in Manhattan.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Not so sure about Stark's motivation but at the very least I kind of understand where Thunderbolt Ross is coming from when he says "the people are frightened". Considering not that many people actually died in the grand scheme of things, I think Ross is essentially saying that something needs to be done because the people want something to be done, even if they're somewhat wrong about their reasoning and are letting emotions sway their judgement.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There is another incident in the movie too that kicks off the whole government involvement.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Skwirl posted:

If we took Iron Man's boast about "privatizing world peace" as accurate in Iron Man 2, The Avengers are significantly less costly and more humane than real world America's interventionist strategies.

It really just makes it look like they're pissed about the money, which is kind of dumb when Ultron's plan was to enslave humanity. Do you really want to say that price was too high?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

There is another incident in the movie too that kicks off the whole government involvement.

PLEASE tell me it's the same thing as in the comic.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It looks like Crossbones blows up the UN or something, judging from T'Challa crawling on the ground after the explosion

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What was it in the comics?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

wyoming posted:

What was it in the comics?

A school (and surrounding suburb) gets blown up.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Nuclear Strike In London
Five Dead, Dozens Injured

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Away all Goats posted:

A school (and surrounding suburb) gets blown up.

By Speedball.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Nuclear Strike In London
Five Dead, Dozens Injured

https://youtu.be/K9NdMMJzVmM?t=95

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GonSmithe posted:

It looks like Crossbones blows up the UN or something, judging from T'Challa crawling on the ground after the explosion
It would make sense if that kills T'Chaka and serves as a partial origin for Black Panther

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Oh my god.

quote:

At the beginning of the "Civil War" storyline, the New Warriors attempt to apprehend a group of supervillains in Stamford, Connecticut for their television reality show. Nitro, one of the criminals, creates an explosive blast that kills 612 civilians, including 60 children, as well as the New Warriors with the exception of Robbie Baldwin.

After awakening from a coma, Baldwin is arrested by S.H.I.E.L.D. and placed in federal prison. Furthermore, his own mother disowns him.

Overcome by guilt and driven insane by his treatment, Baldwin orders a new suit of armor that features 612 internal spikes (the number of Nitro's victims from Stamford) to trigger his powers. Baldwin then rechristens himself "Penance" and is assigned to the Thunderbolts.

Is the Thunderbolts one of Image Comic teams from the 90s?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wyoming posted:

Nah, the Thunderbolts are a team who appeared after a big event where most of the heroes died. They were secretly supervillains trying to take advantage of it for a variety of reasons and it actually was an excellent book. Since then Thunderbolts has basically been varying degree of "Marvel's version of the Suicide Squad."

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

But that also brought us this!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's especially dumb because they took a pretty cheery character and made him into SUPER GRIMDARK SADNESS.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

wyoming posted:

Oh my god.

Woah, 612 civilians died??

That's like, 8 New York City buildings' worth!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I have no idea where this came from but I love the Cavill bit

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/708085828984016896

:haw:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HIJK posted:

His entire arc from Iron Man 2 (you can't have my suits, government) to Civil War (on the side of government disenfranchising others, since he is already out publicly) is a hilariously accurate depiction of a modern conservative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Judakel posted:

His entire arc from Iron Man 2 (you can't have my suits, government) to Civil War (on the side of government disenfranchising others, since he is already out publicly) is a hilariously accurate depiction of a modern conservative.

I noticed his tie was red in one scene - The Republican color. Can't have been a coincidence.

• Locked thread