Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
priebus is sweating and swearing and pinching himself. he wants this to be a nightmare. when does he wake up???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

America must be destroyed.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Patter Song posted:

Tuesday 26 April 2016: Pennsylvania Presidential Primary.

54 of the Commonwealth's 71 delegates to the Republican National Convention will be directly elected (their names appear on the ballot) in a LOOPHOLE type primary, in which delegates are elected separately from a presidential preference. Each of the 18 Congressional District is allocated 3 delegates (54 = 18 districts × 3 delegates/district). Rule 8.4 of the Republican State Committee of Pennsylvania's Rules states that all delegates elected by Congressional District "...shall run at large within the Districts and shall not be officially committed to any particular candidate on the ballot.".
17 (10 base at-large delegates plus 4 bonus delegates plus 3 RNC delegates) of the Commonwealth's 71 delegates to the Republican National Convention delegates are bound for the 1st ballot to the candidate who receives the most votes in the Pennsylvania Presidential Primary. The delegates are released if the candidate withdraws, suspends, or terminates his/her campaign or publicly releases his/her delegates. [Rule 8.3]

If this race is still competitive by late April, people are going to discover the joys of loophole primaries. :)

The winner of the state gets 17 delegates WTA. The other 54 delegates are directly elected (3 per congressional district) and unpledged.

This has two serious ramifications. First, a GOP voter in heavily Democratic districts (like nearly unanimously Democratic downtown Philadelphia) have massively outsized weight in their delegate strength vs GOP areas in the center of the state. Second: You might not really know who the gently caress the person you're voting for in the delegate selection race would actually support on the Convention floor.

We're actually really lucky that only Pennsylvania opted to do a loophole primary this cycle.

I need to change parties so I can have a disproportionate effect on this race

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

You forgot the other two ramifications:

3)If Kasich gets kicked off the ballot, it's Trump vs. Cruz HU with the eastern portion of the state where Cruz might hit 20% of the vote accounting for well over half the delegates

4)Either way, Cruz will probably hijack a good chunk of those delegates, but having them make the difference on the second ballot is going to be the mother of all bad looks, so GL with that too

I don't understand 3. What he's saying is that some delegates are winner-take-all, then the rest are elected at-large. Unless I misunderstand that I don't think Kasich getting booted off would boot off any specific delegates - and it's not clear to me that the ballot will let you know which candidate the unpledged delegate supports. It seems to me that whoever does a better job informing their voters of which at-large delegates to vote for is going to get it (not trump as his organization is poo poo).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

evilweasel posted:

at this point i don't even know what i want, all of the remaining options are delightful

crazy cloud posted:

God really is love after all, it turns out

I know, right?! There's pretty much no way this doesn't turn out badly for the absolute worst people in this country.

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011
Mitt Romney will somehow wind up being President.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

I don't understand 3. What he's saying is that some delegates are winner-take-all, then the rest are elected at-large. Unless I misunderstand that I don't think Kasich getting booted off would boot off any specific delegates - and it's not clear to me that the ballot will let you know which candidate the unpledged delegate supports. It seems to me that whoever does a better job informing their voters of which at-large delegates to vote for is going to get it (not trump as his organization is poo poo).

From what I understand the ballot does tell you delegate affiliations, though Cruz can always stealth convert them.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mystery Goomba posted:

Mitt Romney will somehow wind up being President.

Hel-lo, I'm Willard Mittens Romney! Congratulations, I'm your President, you proles!

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Majorian posted:

I know, right?! There's pretty much no way this doesn't turn out badly for the absolute worst people in this country.

Several of their current remaining best case scenarios involve throwing everything behind Ted Cruz only to inevitably lose to Hillary Clinton, who they have hated for going on three straight decades. The mind reels.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

quote:

It’s 2 a.m. The bar is closing. Republicans have had a series of strong and nasty Trump cocktails. Suddenly Ted Cruz is beginning to look kind of attractive. At least he’s sort of predictable, and he doesn’t talk about his sexual organs in presidential debates!

Well, Republicans, have your standards really fallen so low so fast? Are you really that desperate? Can you remember your 8 p.m. selves, and all the hope you had about entering a campaign with such a deep bench of talented candidates?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/08/opinion/its-not-too-late.html?smid=tw-share

David Brooks doesn't want the GOP to gently caress Ted Cruz, instead he wants the GOP to wait till the convention and hope for a dream date with Rubio.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pick posted:

I have it on good authority they masturbate to anime.

They have waifu pillows. It is known.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Montasque posted:

David Brooks doesn't want the GOP to gently caress Ted Cruz, instead he wants the GOP to wait till the convention and hope for a dream date with Rubio.

it's going to be standard operating procedure, the GOP will go home and jerk itself off and spend the next four years bitching incessantly about the same woman.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Ted Cruz winning the nomination and losing to President Hillary Clinton now represents a "whew we really dodged a bullet outcome for the gop, great job :confuoot:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Oh poo poo. They're actually doing it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
When John Kasich, a man who for months and months polled at 2% nationally, basically tells you "pfft, I don't need your help, loser"...that has got to sting.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Montasque posted:

In other words, David Brooks is doing exactly what I would guess David Brooks is doing.

I love it.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jewel Repetition posted:

Oh poo poo. They're actually doing it.

That tweet tells me they are not actually doing it, the fever dream is not real.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Screens of tumbling water, breaking the world beyond them into glittering lines and smeared shadows. Trump had ceased trying to penetrate them.

“Power,” Pat Buchanan said, “is always power over. When an infant may be either, what is the difference between a Muslim and a Christian? Or between a Canadian and a Mexican? What could be so malleable in Men that anyone, split between circumstances, could be his own murderer?"

“You learned this lesson quickly. You looked across America and you saw millions upon millions of them, their backs bent to the field, their legs spread to the ceiling, their mouths reciting scripture, their arms hammering steel… Thousands upon thousands of them, each one a small circle of repeating actions, each one a wheel in the great machine of nations… You understood that when men stop voting, the Establishment ceases to rule, that when the brooms are thrown into the river, the janitor ceases to sweep. For an infant to be a president or a factory worker or a manager or a whore or a general or whatever, those about him must act accordingly. And Men act as they believe."

“You saw them, in their millions, spread across the country in great hierarchies, the actions of each exquisitely attuned to the expectations of others. The identity of Men, you discovered, was determined by the beliefs, the assumptions, of others. This is what makes them presidents or janitors… Not their God. Not their blood."

“Nations live as Men act,” Buchanan said, his voice refracted through the ambient rush of waters. “Men act as they believe. And Men believe as they are conditioned. Since they are blind to their conditioning, they do not doubt their intuitions…”

Trump nodded in wary assent. “They believe absolutely,” he said.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This new GOPe strategy definitely has the low-energy stink of Jeb! all over it

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

This new GOPe strategy definitely has the low-energy stink of Jeb! all over it

Someone needs to inform them that politics ain't beanbag.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Majorian posted:

so, everyone in this country

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Honestly, If DJT doesn't think he will get enough delegates, he will use "The deal" as an excuse to drop out and run independent

The thing about this is that Trump is one of the few people in America who could pull this off--he's got the cult of personality going for him, enough money to self-finance, and he gives no fucks what the GOP thinks.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

huge, if true

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy

the trump tutelage posted:

Screens of tumbling water, breaking the world beyond them into glittering lines and smeared shadows. Trump had ceased trying to penetrate them.

“Power,” Pat Buchanan said, “is always power over. When an infant may be either, what is the difference between a Muslim and a Christian? Or between a Canadian and a Mexican? What could be so malleable in Men that anyone, split between circumstances, could be his own murderer?"

“You learned this lesson quickly. You looked across America and you saw millions upon millions of them, their backs bent to the field, their legs spread to the ceiling, their mouths reciting scripture, their arms hammering steel… Thousands upon thousands of them, each one a small circle of repeating actions, each one a wheel in the great machine of nations… You understood that when men stop voting, the Establishment ceases to rule, that when the brooms are thrown into the river, the janitor ceases to sweep. For an infant to be a president or a factory worker or a manager or a whore or a general or whatever, those about him must act accordingly. And Men act as they believe."

“You saw them, in their millions, spread across the country in great hierarchies, the actions of each exquisitely attuned to the expectations of others. The identity of Men, you discovered, was determined by the beliefs, the assumptions, of others. This is what makes them presidents or janitors… Not their God. Not their blood."

“Nations live as Men act,” Buchanan said, his voice refracted through the ambient rush of waters. “Men act as they believe. And Men believe as they are conditioned. Since they are blind to their conditioning, they do not doubt their intuitions…”

Trump nodded in wary assent. “They believe absolutely,” he said.

Trump as Khellus would explain everything.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/708363242737766401

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
haha, oh lord

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
In one interview, Hillary has finished off the Reagan image that Trump had cracked by saying something good about them. They really are in cahoots.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

who is she courting? conservative dems don't exist anymore and chances are republicans will rally around trump anyway. all she is doing is alienating liberal supporters

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Sure would be cool to have Dems call out the Reagans for being terrible shitheads instead of engaging in the Repulican worship of them.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Axetrain posted:

Sure would be cool to have Dems call out the Reagans for being terrible shitheads instead of engaging in the Repulican worship of them.

compromise!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Who's the poster who's writing GOT GOP fanfiction?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Anecdotally, I have talked to a few people who normally vote Republican but plan to vote for Hillary this time because A.) Trump is crazy and B.) "She's basically a Republican anyway."

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

lmao unbelievable

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

The Conservative Pundit class are still carrying on about that reporter being touched in a press scrum. This is the biggest thing in their universe.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

who is she courting? conservative dems don't exist anymore and chances are republicans will rally around trump anyway. all she is doing is alienating liberal supporters
She's probably trying to drive more people to Trump by making Reagan worship seem that bit less conservative. In order to further the black op the two of them are engaged in of fracturing the GOP.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Montasque posted:

The Conservative Pundit class are still carrying on about that reporter being touched in a press scrum. This is the biggest thing in their universe.
Is she, and Brietbart, part of the drive by media yet?

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

Oh cool we're still doing this.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Hillary Clinton is the moderate Republican the Pundit class is looking for.

• Locked thread