Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

tell the it guy he's doing a lovely job and should upgrade everyone right away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

PleasureKevin posted:

I fixed the computer does anyone wanna guess how

yeah yeah some combo of new psu, motherboard, and ram

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

baked it in the oven

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

PleasureKevin posted:

got a new mobo like everyone pleaded with you to do?

A Pinball Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 12, 2016

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

installed linux; problem solved

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

yeah yeah some combo of new psu, motherboard, and ram

akadajet posted:

baked it in the oven

A Pinball Wizard posted:

got a new mobo like everyone pleaded with you to do?

wow... how do any of you function around computers

I flashed the BIOS.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

so i bought an SSD

i installed it in my computer, but I could not boot from my USB drive to install windows. checked the BIOS, hosed around with everything but it just would not boot. tried using Bootcamp Assistant and other apps to make it bootable, but no joy. tried a tonne of solutions on google but nothing worked.

so i used a SATA-to-USB kit to transfer from my HDD to my SSD. set that up yesterday and when i got home there was an error on screen that it hadn't worked.

tried to boot from the SSD attached via USB anyway. it showed the windows ":(" error on boot.

OK, booted from the HDD again and tried to run the transfer to SSD again, but it threw up an error after only a few minutes.

for some reason the rebooted and now the machine won't even boot. the lights turn on, but there's no BIOS screen or anything. i didn't even do anything to it hardware-wise, i just did a transfer.

whether setting up an SSD or just installing a bluetooth adapter, windows is extremely customization-unfriendly. if it's really a platform for enthusiasts and hobbyists, why isn't this type of stuff more pain free?

PleasureKevin posted:

wow... how do any of you function around computers

I flashed the BIOS.
everyone who told you it was a motherboard issue was correct

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

:vd:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

akadajet posted:

tell the it guy he's doing a lovely job and should upgrade everyone right away

idk how this is different from bau though??

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

hell yeah i love peter bjorg and john

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
why does pleasurekevin's av have a mouseover effect

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wrong gif

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

why does pleasurekevin's av have a mouseover effect

it a hyperlink

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PleasureKevin posted:

regretfully the resolution doesn't appear to be user replacement

Vulgarian
Oct 2, 2011
So apparently Windows 10 automatically installs over consumer's Windows 7 installations now...

Sorry for the Reddit link, but if true, lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4a0asv/warning_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Utopian Mind posted:

So apparently Windows 10 automatically installs over consumer's Windows 7 installations now...

https://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/4a0asv/warning_windows_7_computers_are_being_reported_as/

i don't think this is new. KB3035583 was changed from "optional" to "recommended", and will get installed if you enable the option in windows update to treat recommended updates like critical ones

this whole thing has been really great for exposing companies with absolute trash for IT, running pro instead of enterprise, no WSUS etc etc.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

apparently if you decline the TOS/EULA it will attempt to revert to Windows 7

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

apparently if you decline the TOS/EULA it will _,.-~*attempt*~-.,_ to revert to Windows 7

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Utopian Mind posted:

what a bunch of babies in that thread.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

hasn't that been going on for a long time?

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
working really hard on that something billion installs

"instlal it on poo poo computers. install it toasters. install it on refrigerators! WE GOTTA HIT THOSE INSTLAL NUMBERS"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

so how soon before July 29 cut-off date will Microsoft announce that due to consumer demand, the free upgraded to Windows 10 has been extended indefinitely?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

so how soon before July 29 cut-off date will Microsoft announce that due to consumer demand, the free upgraded to Windows 10 has been extended indefinitely?

they've been issuing iso's that install with windows 7 and 8 keys since november, does that count?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

presumably those ISOs still hit up Microsoft's licensing servers and will stop activating after July 29

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i recall they pulled a similar stunt back in the day with visual studio express editions

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

so how soon before July 29 cut-off date will Microsoft announce that due to consumer demand, the forcible upgraded to Windows 10 has been extended indefinitely?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

The upgrade will become mandatory.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

univbee posted:

they've been issuing iso's that install with windows 7 and 8 keys since november, does that count?

so before i do this on my new laptop, what is the easiest way to make a backup image of what it comes with out of the box

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Valeyard posted:

so before i do this on my new laptop, what is the easiest way to make a backup image of what it comes with out of the box

in all likelihood your new laptop will yell at you to do exactly this and guide you through their way of doing it

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
or there's just a backup image sitting in a partition taking about 4-5 gb of space on your drive

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
boot from a linux live thing, copy the whole disk to a file with something like ddrescue, compress the hell out of it (e.g. with xz -9e) and store that disk image somewhere

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Lysidas posted:

boot from a linux live thing, copy the whole disk to a file with something like ddrescue, compress the hell out of it (e.g. with xz -9e) and store that disk image somewhere

Macrium Reflect Free is fine.

Wonder how long it'll take 8.1 laptops to filter out of retail.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice
I support an app that is only supported on win 10 if you have the latest version, which about half our users don't

can't wait to go into work tomorrow

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

College Slice

it would be kanye wearing a clippers hat

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Valeyard posted:

do Windows computers not yet support Internet recovery?

on a modern Mac you can hold down a couple keys at boot, start the OS over WiFi or Ethernet from a publicly-accessible Internet service, and use that to get to a factory-fresh state

it's like booting a workstation via TFTP except done in a way normal human beings can manage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

eschaton posted:

do Windows computers not yet support Internet recovery?

on a modern Mac you can hold down a couple keys at boot, start the OS over WiFi or Ethernet from a publicly-accessible Internet service, and use that to get to a factory-fresh state

it's like booting a workstation via TFTP except done in a way normal human beings can manage

no, because internet recovery on os x is basically it downloading a recovery partition for your model of computer and then running that

in order to get that to work on windows you'd need:

- Firmware level support of this feature (also true in OS X since some models don't support it)

- either a standardized recovery partition or a list of specialized partitions for each model, or both as in an HP recovery partition, a Dell recovery partition, etc (good luck with that)

- the ability to care enough to host all of this and the bandwidth costs

• Locked thread