Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Boob Marley posted:

All this talk about McWeeny's stuff being debunked as fake and gay rumors and yet not a single source.

I love knowing that while BvS is in theaters so many of you will be white-knuckling it through every line of cliche, contrived dialogue, and every moment of awkwardly forced tension doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself that it is great.

Movies are fake, get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Boob Marley posted:

All this talk about McWeeny's stuff being debunked as fake and gay rumors and yet not a single source.

I love knowing that while BvS is in theaters so many of you will be white-knuckling it through every line of cliche, contrived dialogue, and every moment of awkwardly forced tension doing mental gymnastics to convince yourself that it is great.

Read any good books lately?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

You seem real het up about this whole console "cinematic universe" war.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Boob Marley posted:

McWeeny's source was McWeeny, i.e., it's likely he got that "scoop" by scraping it out of his own hairy rear end.

Also, lmao.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Boob Marley posted:

You created a hundred line spreadsheet to prove that your dislike of MoS was objectively correct. You're not in a great position to call people delusional here.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Man of Steel is a great movie. I enjoyed it a lot.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

You seem real het up about this whole console "cinematic universe" war.

Batman vs Superman vs Civil War: The War

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Eat any good books lately?

Fixed that for you

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm excited for Civil War 3.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Read any good books lately?

McCloud posted:

Fixed that for you

Actually, it should be "Lived any good books lately?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFcOeM_Usk

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Remember always that those who like a different tight suit punch man movie than the one you like are not only objectively incorrect, but they are fully aware of their objective incorrectness, and they are hard at work at all hours of the day to spin complex and knowingly deceitful tales about why the wrong tight suit punch man movie is better than the right tight suit punch man movie, because they __________________

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So do the Guyver movies count for comic movies?

Because they're technically based on Japanese comics!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Remember always that those who like a different tight suit punch man movie than the one you like are not only objectively incorrect, but they are fully aware of their objective incorrectness, and they are hard at work at all hours of the day to spin complex and knowingly deceitful tales about why the wrong tight suit punch man movie is better than the right tight suit punch man movie, because they __________________

This is like the most bizarre current CD meme to me, and it doesn't just happen with superheros, I've seen it happen recently in the Ghostbusters and especially the Star Wars* thread. The idea that people don't just have bad taste or are dumb but actually know that they are objectively wrong and are just scrambling desperately to not lose face.

*honestly I think it originated with the prequel discussion since there are people who just cannot believe that anyone can like any aspect of the prequels, even on a moderate "credit where credit's due" level

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Burkion posted:

Sure.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
What exactly is Marvel doing releasing Civil War? Like, in these times of economic and racial uncertainty, revolving around an increasingly volatile presidential election, is it really all that wise to release a big picture named Captain America: Civil War about American citizens (superpowered nevertheless) engaging in violent conflict with one another over political differences?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
When there are thousands of Americans clamoring for political and/or racially motivated war, It seems extremely irresponsible, at best, to broadcast giant letters saying AMERICA CIVIL WAR to filmgoers.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

When there are thousands of Americans clamoring for political and/or racially motivated war, It seems extremely irresponsible, at best, to broadcast giant letters saying AMERICA CIVIL WAR to filmgoers.

The quips will be on point and that makes it okay.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jenny Angel posted:

this is my truth

Lumpy the Cook posted:

well Disney is owned by the Bilderbergs who are the new world order and are exactly the type of organization to plant these psychological breadcrumbs in the populace, basically irl Hydra.

This is the true reason mass destruction in Marvel movies is so sanitized, they want you to think war is clean and pretty and gets fixed up by next year's blockbuster.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 12, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Burkion posted:

Those movies are rad as hell

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Guyver 2 Dark Hero is legit awesome.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guyver 2 Dark Hero has possibly the best "Super powered dude VS Armed Thugs" fight ever. Mostly because he just fucks around with them the entire time despite being able to tear them apart limb from limb with ease. He specifically tries to get trick shots so they kill eachother.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Dinesh D'Souza's Captain America: Civil War

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Nah; the actually irresponsible thing is this "we designed it so that it's deliberately unclear who's right" deal - as if such obfuscation is a good thing.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 13, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You really can't do Civil War with "we're unclear who is right" because it's not really a morally grey situation, no matter how much they try to argue it is. That's the entire reason the comic version just keeps making Iron Man eviler and eviler because it's literally the only way to possibly cast moral ambiguity on the situation, and even then it's just "Well, Captain America is on the side NOT siding with Literal Nazis..."

Maybe I'll be shocked and they'll do a better job of presenting it in the film but what it looks like is the argument is basically "Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to do whatever you want without oversight" vs "But what about NAZIS and I want to make out with Bucky!" And if Iron Man is wrong it is because of Nazis and then everyone will Godwin's Law every argument because see, if we try to do anything but be completely unregulated than the Nazis will kill our families.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 13, 2016

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Can we stop comparing comic book movies against each other? I want to see a writeup of best holocaust movie, Schindlers list or X-Men: First Class.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

teagone posted:

Guyver 2 Dark Hero is legit awesome.

I would love to know the exact amount of fake blood they used.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah, I Remember watching the Guyver movies as a teenager and I loved them. That would be a cheapish remake and cool as hell.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 13, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, I Remember watching the Guyver movies as a teenager and I loved them.

I own a supposedly really rare copy of Guyver 2 on dvd. UNCUT.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I hear uncut Guyver is illegal in some parts of the south.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Rhyno posted:

I own a supposedly really rare copy of Guyver 2 on dvd. UNCUT.

Haha, watch him use the masterful powers of AKIDO.

EDIT:

I completely forgot David Hayter starred in the 2nd one.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 13, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

I hear uncut Guyver is illegal in some parts of the south.

That scene where Crain flips over and runs on his hands should be illegal.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm fine with all further MCU and DCEU movies being garbage, with the exception of The Flash, which had better be good or I'm gonna cry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

That scene where Crain flips over and runs on his hands should be illegal.

Guyver 2 Dark Hero is the most B movie to ever B movie and I love it so much. It takes all of the problems of tone and consistency the first movie had and flushes them down the toilet.

The acting is garbage in a fantastic way, the effects are amazing and gorey, the deaths are over the top from start to finish and the creature effects are spot on. We get THREE unique Guyver designs, and the entire thing goes off with only a bit of a slow....

Not a middle. Like, one third of the middle is slow. Then monsters and Guyvers start fighting and it just never stops.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Nah; the actually irresponsible thing is this "we designed it so that it's deliberately unclear who's right" deal - as if such obfuscation is a good thing.

No, you've got to bring the people in believing that their position is going to be fairly represented. That way when FDR Liberal Captain Union America wins they realize that they were wrong all along and greater conflict is avoided as their fight has already been won. Sort of like ancient Heroic Combat, but instead of two guys proxy fighting for two nations it's a movie proxy fighting for one nation.

ImpAtom posted:

You really can't do Civil War with "we're unclear who is right" because it's not really a morally grey situation, no matter how much they try to argue it is. That's the entire reason the comic version just keeps making Iron Man eviler and eviler because it's literally the only way to possibly cast moral ambiguity on the situation, and even then it's just "Well, Captain America is on the side NOT siding with Literal Nazis..."

Maybe I'll be shocked and they'll do a better job of presenting it in the film but what it looks like is the argument is basically "Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to do whatever you want without oversight" vs "But what about NAZIS and I want to make out with Bucky!" And if Iron Man is wrong it is because of Nazis and then everyone will Godwin's Law every argument because see, if we try to do anything but be completely unregulated than the Nazis will kill our families.

Nah, it's being presented by Thunderbolt Ross, and that guy is all kinds of bad even though he's totally not a Nazi. We'll have to wait and see what the movie outlines as the Registration side. However from what it looks like, Captain America goes anti-registration due to the actions of the pro-registration authority. If they must follow orders that they disagree with and use their abilities counter to their conscience, then they are under a moral imperative to resist those orders.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm fine with all MCU and DCEU movies being garbage

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jack of Hearts posted:

I'm fine with all further MCU and DCEU movies being garbage, with the exception of The Flash, which had better be good or I'm gonna cry.

We're the same person apparently

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Jack of Hearts posted:

Sam, except replace Flash with Aquaman.

I think the oceans are cool and their king too.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

ImpAtom posted:

"Maybe you shouldn't be allowed to do whatever you want without oversight" vs "But what about NAZIS and I want to make out with Bucky!"

Actually Civil War is a modern take on the classic coming of age tale about a naive person navigating this topsy turvy world trying to find happiness who is confronted with having to choose between the rich dreamy bachelor or a long lost best friend all while working a stressful New York job

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Guyver 2 Dark Hero is the most B movie to ever B movie and I love it so much. It takes all of the problems of tone and consistency the first movie had and flushes them down the toilet.

The acting is garbage in a fantastic way, the effects are amazing and gorey, the deaths are over the top from start to finish and the creature effects are spot on. We get THREE unique Guyver designs, and the entire thing goes off with only a bit of a slow....

Not a middle. Like, one third of the middle is slow. Then monsters and Guyvers start fighting and it just never stops.

Bro, I LOVE this movie. LOVE. I spent like $85 on that stupid DVD from loving Chekoslovakia or some place that doesn't exist anymore. I bought a shitload of Guyver manga and figures because of that movie. I'm probably into Guyver poo poo for close to a fuckin grand all told.

But

he

runs

on

his

hands

It was too much even for the king of B movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Bro, I LOVE this movie. LOVE. I spent like $85 on that stupid DVD from loving Chekoslovakia or some place that doesn't exist anymore. I bought a shitload of Guyver manga and figures because of that movie. I'm probably into Guyver poo poo for close to a fuckin grand all told.

But

he

runs

on

his

hands

It was too much even for the king of B movies.

He can do jumping jacks on his hands man, at least he isn't a rapping Jar Jar Binks.

• Locked thread