Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm approaching level 30 finally. I took my time as I had good fun exploring the city and all the sidequests/echo's ....
I also already spent quite some time in the lower brackets of the DZ.

As it is now you pretty much need DZ rank 50 to get the good gear. As I'm actually not shy of going rogue doing so in the lvl 30 DZ sounds like a bad idea as so many of my targets are poopsockers that are already well decked out, and me being a fresh lvl 30.

I think I'll halt leveling for a while and stay at level 29 while I farm some ranks and credits in the dark zone, with an occasional PK here and there.
Apart from the best loot drops, will I miss out on anything by not doing the same in the DZ30?
Do rank and credits increase at a comparable rate at level 29?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Oh nice, I was worried it'd be a burst fire gun.

Also good lord the yellow Vector I made is mean, drat thing outdamages my lightweight M4

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Capn Beeb posted:

Oh nice, I was worried it'd be a burst fire gun.
I think the FAL is the only burst rifle (for whatever goddamn reason). Oh, and if you haven't played around with a RPK-74 yet, I'd recommend even just picking up a lovely green just to hear the noise it makes. :unsmigghh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The sparkly plinkle noise of a purple drop is very pleasing. :allears:

They have a similarly satisfying noise for legendaries in Diablo 3. When they used the noise to signify the end of a round in Heroes of the Storm my heart would always jump a few beats, thinking I'd gotten some impressive loot.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
What is the advantage of a burst weapon? Better for triple headshots?

For killing elites a constant stream of lead has been more effective for me.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

If you have the hazmat suit it's important to run it when twinking, pubs will think you are a riker and open up on you.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So if I move towards a tanking build, what does that mean if I want to do Dark Zone? Soloing the DZ with a shield has not worked out well. Switched that out for a turret and using an AR and SMG instead of an LMG which doesn't have killing power behind it. Shield is cool to have but seems unnecessary. Just wondering about my gear cause I'm wondering if I need another set of gear that has different stats for DZ (solo or otherwise).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Evernoob posted:

There is none. It'd be ok, but the fal kicks too much to land triple headshots reliebly.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Sooo

I rolled a few Black Market AKs.

One has 8.5k damage with 25% Brutal (headshot damage increased by 25%) and two other lovely perks.

The other has 9k damage, a 13% reload speed increase, a 6% increase in crit rate, and another lovely perk.

The game says AK number 2 is the go to AK due to DPS but i'm not sure if I believe it.

Suggestions?

(I'm guessing to ignore dps and just go with the headshot machine.)

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Sandweed posted:

If you have the hazmat suit it's important to run it when twinking, pubs will think you are a riker and open up on you.

Next on my to do list.

Also, I noticed today guys hitting me with one shot and not getting flagged. Anyone know what the damage limit is for that?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks,

I'm also not sold on using (actually tabbing with) a scope on my sniper. Without the scope the crosshear clearly turns red when the hitscan is detected on a NPC's head while under cover. With the scope you just get a big fat red dot.

I suppose most people would also rather use the 10Mag rifles with slightly lower damage over the 5Mag true sniper guns. With the first ones spamming headshots results in far higher damage in my limited experience.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yesterday my options where:

- Farm boss in the darkzone, by 3 bird points each, taking each something like 5 min to find, 1 minute to kill (having to clean other guys around it).
- Repeat the UN mission for maybe 4 birdcoins, at about 15 or 20 minutes a run.
- Do missions in hard for purple gear that is worse than I already have.
- Farm mats to craft yellow gear hoping for a god roll.
- Try challenging mode with a bunch of ungearer pubies and have my face hosed in a hilarious embarrasing way

I did each one them, but while it was fun, I got a pitance of progression.
Yellow gear don't seems to drop in any pve content other than maybe finishing a challenging mission. But you need yellow gear to finish a challenging mission.

I am thinking in maybe build a glass canon, drop all my mods to weapons damage, critical hit, critical damage.
The Darkzone continue to be a peaceful zone where nobody hurt anybody feelings and a stray bullet is a dead sentence that wipe a few hours of progression.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Avalanche posted:

Sooo

I rolled a few Black Market AKs.

One has 8.5k damage with 25% Brutal (headshot damage increased by 25%) and two other lovely perks.

The other has 9k damage, a 13% reload speed increase, a 6% increase in crit rate, and another lovely perk.

The game says AK number 2 is the go to AK due to DPS but i'm not sure if I believe it.

Suggestions?

(I'm guessing to ignore dps and just go with the headshot machine.)

Use ak2, unless you can get a tonne more headshots it will do a lot more damage

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Evernoob posted:

For killing elites a constant stream of lead has been more effective for me.

Burst weapons have no advantages aside from making you use less ammo than your friends. I use an AUG smg and it has absolutely no recoil with my mods/talents. I just tactical move (less damage while tactimoving and more once i'm there with less recoil) and then open up on their head. Will drop most enemies in half a clip (50% chance of keeping my bullet on a headshot) and the clip empties in a second or two.

Yesterday I put the damage sig on, opened up on a named DZ enemy and obliterated the guy before he could react, was great. Stream of lead all day every day.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

poptart_fairy posted:

Dammit, run into the same problem as I did with Destiny. I can handle DZ3 and Hard Mode with zero problems, DZ4 is a bit tricky...but DZ5 and Challenge Mode are completely insurmountable. I get dropped if I'm so much as winged by an enemy, even with smart cover, but it still takes an entire clip to kill anything. Bah.

Looks like I'm just going to be stuck in the daily mission grind for phoenix credits a little longer.

Farm General Assembly on hard for a few times, you will get 6-7 purples per run and 4-6 birdcoins on top of it. It's a very quick way to gear up for challenge modes. There are two named yellow bosses, plus the helicopter at the end. The helicopter raining purples isn't a one-time thing, it does it every time.

Once you have all ilevel 30 items equipped and recalibrated, that is pretty much the standard for challenge modes and the wall is no longer on health and damage output, but the group's crowd control.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The helicopter raining purples isn't a one-time thing, it does it every time.

WHAT

poo poo, had no idea especially considering mission loot boxes are one time. Looks like I have a meeting with General Bliss.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Also, go to the firewall safe house. The vendor there today are selling purple gloves that has stamina, crit damage and crit chance as well as +assault rifle damage which can be recalibrated to give +elite damage, making it the absolute best purple gloves you can possibly equip until you replace it with a high-end one.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Ran around DZ06 solo for a while, came down to DZ05 and helped some pubbies kill the boss of The Pitt, they started going rogue on each other. I stickie bombed them and hightailed it out of there while they were blind, popping my damage reduction and healing skills as I ran.

Ran right into another group of pubbies who then massacred the rogue group. Lot of purples were had by all.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Sober posted:

So if I move towards a tanking build, what does that mean if I want to do Dark Zone? Soloing the DZ with a shield has not worked out well. Switched that out for a turret and using an AR and SMG instead of an LMG which doesn't have killing power behind it. Shield is cool to have but seems unnecessary. Just wondering about my gear cause I'm wondering if I need another set of gear that has different stats for DZ (solo or otherwise).

From my experience "tanking", the best mitigation you can do is forms of CC to prevent yourself, and teammates, from being shot at. A M60, M249 or a high roll expanded magazine size on a RPK for suppression, flashbang sticky bomb, and your choice of airburst or tear gas seeker mine. Both the sticky bomb and seeker mine can work as a poor man's pulse in detecting enemies. You can hover the sticky bomb to highlight targets not in LOS, and the seeker mine does it's own thing finding friends. If you're solo, you may want to consider swapping out seeker mine for one of the healing talents so you don't dip into medkits so often.

If you're being shot at by multiple hostiles, then you need to consider falling back to force the enemy to funnel in. Not entirely sure if loud vent brakes work on weapons considering the character info sheet, but I mod a LMG with the loudest I can muster and it seems to work rather well. With regards to stats, having a high effective health versus elites and bosses is needed for taking hits, however in CMs, you'll want to restrict the amount of gun fire you're receiving as most enemies will murder the bejeebers out of you.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

A purple MP5 dropped that has a slot for an optics mod, but none seem to fit it.

It says it is small, but won't take small or large mods. Is this a known bug?

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
My DZ experience has been pretty enjoyable. Sure it needs a tweak but people are constantly trying to get at us.

https://youtu.be/KN4XNSK5pUo

This guy was just dumb as poo poo though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Out of curiosity, is loot in the Dark Zone instanced? I was fighting a boss in the subway in DZ01 and getting my poo poo kicked in until these two other players came along and joined in. He dropped 2 purples, which I just left for them. I figured they did most of the work, they should get the rewards. I went off and did more subway stuff and pulled some more purples out of chests. On my way back, the loot was still there. I mean maybe to them it was trash, but +85% magazine size has been working pretty well for me since then. I know when you die you drop all your loot and it's there for whoever wants it, but do enemies drop instanced loot?

And the DZ is no joke. I've been without my co-op partner for a couple days, and trying to extract is hectic as hell, especially on the big open extraction point right as you enter DZ01. Purple melee guys with yellow snipers is a real pain in the rear end. It's actually really well done, imo, since you spend all this time clearing the area to extract, and by the time you're done, you've got to extract again because the enemies have dropped even more loot. It's addicting.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I don't know how you people are all getting Carebear Zones.
I'm either getting deserted ones or getting jammed into one that has two groups of buddies rolling together and murdering everything in their way because how the crap are you meant to fight 6-8 agents?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've literally seen a group of 6 to 8 people just helping everyone out. It was absurd.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Serf posted:

Out of curiosity, is loot in the Dark Zone instanced?
Drops from NPCs are instanced per-player. Drops from players (rogue or otherwise) are not.

Nien
Apr 29, 2013

Croccers posted:

I don't know how you people are all getting Carebear Zones.
I'm either getting deserted ones or getting jammed into one that has two groups of buddies rolling together and murdering everything in their way because how the crap are you meant to fight 6-8 agents?

Yeah, it's a crap shoot on whatever you roll into. Soon as I see the bros rolling I go do something else.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
the real misery of the division is people having opinions

edit: on the something awful dot com games sub foru,

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Agent Origins website is back up if, like me, you haven't had a chance to get those outfits yet. I just did it.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Serf posted:

Out of curiosity, is loot in the Dark Zone instanced? I was fighting a boss in the subway in DZ01 and getting my poo poo kicked in until these two other players came along and joined in. He dropped 2 purples, which I just left for them. I figured they did most of the work, they should get the rewards. I went off and did more subway stuff and pulled some more purples out of chests. On my way back, the loot was still there. I mean maybe to them it was trash, but +85% magazine size has been working pretty well for me since then. I know when you die you drop all your loot and it's there for whoever wants it, but do enemies drop instanced loot?

And the DZ is no joke. I've been without my co-op partner for a couple days, and trying to extract is hectic as hell, especially on the big open extraction point right as you enter DZ01. Purple melee guys with yellow snipers is a real pain in the rear end. It's actually really well done, imo, since you spend all this time clearing the area to extract, and by the time you're done, you've got to extract again because the enemies have dropped even more loot. It's addicting.

Loot drops from enemies are unique for each person. Only you could see those drops. They would see something else, if anything dropped at all. So you kinda missed out on those purples.

Serf
May 5, 2011

IronDoge posted:

Loot drops from enemies are unique for each person. Only you could see those drops. They would see something else, if anything dropped at all. So you kinda missed out on those purples.

Oh no I picked them up the second time around. I'm gonna be using the extended mag for a long time coming I think.

work the balls Sally
Feb 20, 2006
Even as you read this, I'm masturbating to my own post.

Murgos posted:

Agent Origins website is back up if, like me, you haven't had a chance to get those outfits yet. I just did it.

How do I claim this in the game? I've redeemed the code but the rewards vendor has nothing for me and they don't appear to be in my inventory.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

Axetrain posted:

Does that AGENTORIGINS code in the op still work?

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I just redeemed mine today

I got my code and when I entered it, it says it's already in use :(

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

SiliconX posted:

I got my code and when I entered it, it says it's already in use :(

Same :saddowns:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Does DZ exp gain increase with higher player level? I'm just DZ16 but I mostly play solo at times when not a lot of people seem to be on, so it feels kinda slow. I'm wondering if I should just push for level 30 first and then go back into the DZ where there's more activity.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Just a heads up for beginner 30s, get your skill wings mastered because the master perk stacks with everything else.
This is especially important with Pulse for DZ farming. Mastered Pulse causes it's icon to flash red if there's an enemy nearby, making it easier to find and farm them.

Also, beginning lvl 30s and challenge mode: there are two levels of health, one that will survive a shotgun blast 300m away, and one that won't.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Hell no. It's early days for this game and the devs actually seem responsive, but Destiny is utterly hosed forever.

Why?

I've never played it. What's wrong with Destiny and how does it compare to The Division?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

TG-Chrono posted:

My DZ experience has been pretty enjoyable. Sure it needs a tweak but people are constantly trying to get at us.

https://youtu.be/KN4XNSK5pUo

This guy was just dumb as poo poo though.

Ah yes, the classic puke-stain camouflage on your Vector.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

alphabettitouretti posted:

Why?
I've never played it. What's wrong with Destiny and how does it compare to The Division?
there hasn't been new pve content for a while and there's lag sometimes. also refer to my earlier post about goons being melodramatic about video games

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

dogstile posted:

Yeah i've got a purple aug that i've been using. I have around 1000 ammo for it and it takes me 10 minutes at most to burn through it, its insane.

I have that Aug and it is loving frustrating getting stranded somewhere in the DZ with a bunch of Alex's down every street when it runs out of ammo. Great gun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Purples are useless to me.

I don't mind getting to rank 50. Is gonna happend.

Part of me want to create a alt character called "Ikillyoualot" and kill on sight each and every player I meet. Even if that mean being rank 0 forever. The only thing that stop me from doing that is that I can't name my character, they will all share my name. And I don't want people to hate me on my pacifist character because I killed them on my sociopath character. I guest I can't roleplay in this RPG game because the ability to name our character has been streamlined out.

• Locked thread