Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

. I've watched the drat thing like 5 times. I just really kind of hate it.

?
??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I so want Warner Bros and DC to just drop the drat messiah overtones that has plagued Superman since the Christopher Reeve movie. I prefer the Marvel movies because the characters all feel more real.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Kurzon posted:

I so want Warner Bros and DC to just drop the drat messiah overtones that has plagued Superman since the Christopher Reeve movie. I prefer the Marvel movies because the characters all feel more real.

I like both the way they are precisely because they are different and wouldn't want them to be similar. Marvel is crunching out fifty movies a year that are similar to each other, let DC have their Jesus-Man movies.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Kurzon posted:

My big complaint with the movie is that Superman always has this glum expression.

?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNthTfMB1-0

edit:
Something about the Preacher pilot: there's a cameo by Tom Cruise as one of the preachers that the Genesis possesses and then explodes.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 16, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Caville's got the superman face and body but he doesn't have the chin, Affleck is basically batman incaranate.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

destroying people's property

This happens once.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Grendels Dad posted:

I like both the way they are precisely because they are different and wouldn't want them to be similar. Marvel is crunching out fifty movies a year that are similar to each other, let DC have their Jesus-Man movies.
Marvel and DC books tend to have the same overall tones anyway because they share writers. But regarding Superman, you see something similar in Captain America. The difference though, and I think this is crucial, is that Steve Rogers is a superhero completely by choice. He was determined to go fight the Nazis even before he got the serum that made him not-scrawny. Most everyone he meets discourages him but he pushes on anyway. Superman, by contrast, becomes a superhero because his father(s) gave him a messianic mission. Man of Steel distanced itself from that a bit by showing him do heroic stunts well before he gets his costume, but the theme is still there when he gets his lecture from holo-Dad. Jor-El sends him to Earth where he knows he'll get superpowers (why didn't all Kryptonians just move to Earth to become gods?), and he leaves him a voice mail that says he must use those powers to be a superhero.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 16, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One thing I have to give Man of Steel, while rewatching it yesterday, is that Supes' final battle with Zod is my favorite action sequence in any modern superhero movie. The sound design and especially the music does a lot to sell it.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I love Zod's lamentation after Superman destroys the Kryptonian ark. It's so poignant.

But I don't like the final battle in Man of Steel because neither combatant exhibits any injuries whatsoever before the neck-snap. No bruises, no torn clothing, not even any dirt on their faces. How is Batman going to fight Superman when even another Kryptonian couldn't even mess up his hair? That's a thought that has been hanging over my head as I watch each trailer. It's like Superman is just patiently allowing Batman to let off steam like a father play-fighting with his two-year-old.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kurzon posted:

I love Zod's lamentation after Superman destroys the Kryptonian ark. It's so poignant.

But I don't like the final battle in Man of Steel because neither combatant exhibits any injuries whatsoever before the neck-snap. No bruises, no torn clothing, not even any dirt on their faces. How is Batman going to fight Superman when even another Kryptonian couldn't even mess up his hair? That's a thought that has been hanging over my head as I watch each trailer. It's like Superman is just patiently allowing Batman to let off steam like a father play-fighting with his two-year-old.

I'd venture that's probably the point the film is going to go for. Batman's probably going to get in a good hit or two with his silly power armour but still get soundly trashed once Superman decides to fight for real.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kurzon posted:

hopefully kryptonite boxing gloves like in the dumb comic

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Batman knows he can't take on Superman in a fistfight because he has the battle of Metropolis to learn from. So I'm certain kryptonite gloves or something like that will show up in that fight to soften Superman up. They don't show it in the trailer because that could spoil a link between Batman and Luthor.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

X-Men have started to appear in advertising. Here's Quicksilver again, but not eating a sandwich this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFqX7jy_BU4

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Snowman_McK posted:

This happens once.

The claim that he never has a "Hero" moment is far more outrageous.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
And he's saving people and poo poo a clear 20 years before he gets the suit and the voice mail.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's amazing to me that if everything about Man of Steel was the same but Zod was sucked into the phantom zone with the world builder/etc. other Kryptonians and Superman cracked a one liner everyone would think this was the greatest superhero flick ever made. The endgame being a 90% cathartic power trip with a triumphant end and not a 100% cathartic power trip with a cathartic end really broke people's brains.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

broken clock opsec posted:

And he's saving people and poo poo a clear 20 years before he gets the suit and the voice mail.

He first saves people in grade school. Including his bully.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McSpanky posted:

He first saves people in grade school. Including his bully.

With this playing behind it, which is pretty much the opposite of dour in its structure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EngKxF3Cqh4

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I also can't stress enough how he saved the lives of every man, woman, and dog on Earth by blowing up the World Engine.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

It's amazing to me that if everything about Man of Steel was the same but Zod was sucked into the phantom zone with the world builder/etc. other Kryptonians and Superman cracked a one liner everyone would think this was the greatest superhero flick ever made.

Personally, I assumed he killed Zod in the 70s movie too, I've only seen the old ones once. I didn't think that was a thing at all, nor the lack of humor. It was the superhero excesses at the end that I didn't really like.

Like, I thought this scene was fantastic:

But then during all this I just found myself wondering how long the fight was and whether we'd have more good dialogue after:

I loved the middle stretch of the movie with the message from Zod, the hunt for Superman, Smallville, etc. I just thought it ended with a disappointingly bland punchathon like Matrix 3 that left me feeling more bored and exhausted, which was a bummer after the 2/3 of the film before it. Couldn't care less about the neck snap or wanting more gags.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

I also can't stress enough how he saved the lives of every man, woman, and dog on Earth by blowing up the World Engine.

This is why I always found the 'He didn't save anyone' comments hilarious.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Electromax posted:

Personally, I assumed he killed Zod in the 70s movie too, I've only seen the old ones once. I didn't think that was a thing at all, nor the lack of humor. It was the superhero excesses at the end that I didn't really like.

I forget if Zach Snyder mentions it in those interviews someone compiled earlier, but besides that Superman cold kills Zod in the comics plenty of times. The most definitive of which happened in the late 80s, which I find hilarious because that time period and Superman killing Doomsday was when a lot of the loudest lifelong comic fans complaining about him killing Zod in this movie got into comics.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget if Zach Snyder mentions it in those interviews someone compiled earlier, but besides that Superman cold kills Zod in the comics plenty of times. The most definitive of which happened in the late 80s, which I find hilarious because that time period and Superman killing Doomsday was when a lot of the loudest lifelong comic fans complaining about him killing Zod in this movie got into comics.

Once. He killed Zod once, along with two accomplices. He executes three powerless kryptonians, Zod among them, after having judged them guilty. The crime in question was murdering every single man, woman and child on an earth in a parallel pocket dimension. Superman was the only living person left, hence why he was the judge, jury and executioner. And after executing Zod, he suffered a nervous breakdown.

And that was the first, and only time,Superman killed anyone.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

McCloud posted:

You mean, other than all those suckers he punched into the next county in the Golden Age, also Brianiac, Darkseid, Doomsday, and so on, and so on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

Hahaha, no.

Like Superman fully and openly attempted to kill Doomsday and upon his death he thought he did so. Doomsday revived (because of course he did) but Superman freely and openly decided that killing him was the only way to put him down. Mysteriously Doomsday is the dude they're using for the sequel and almost certainly will have to be killed to be stopped unless they throw him into space or something.

And it's not even a case of Superman going "Well, this is a mindless monster." It's a plot point in the original comic that it is intelligent enough to understand and target people, takes delight in pain and suffering, and can even speak.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 16, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kurzon posted:

My big complaint with the movie is that Superman always has this glum expression.

Except during the learning to fly sequence.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

McCloud posted:

Once. He killed Zod once, along with two accomplices. He executes three powerless kryptonians, Zod among them, after having judged them guilty. The crime in question was murdering every single man, woman and child on an earth in a parallel pocket dimension. Superman was the only living person left, hence why he was the judge, jury and executioner. And after executing Zod, he suffered a nervous breakdown.

Besides this being wrong (a few characters like Supergirl/etc. do survive Zod's alternate earth massacre, and Superman would of course go on to kill Doomsday not long after), after his breakdown he swears he will never ever kill again. I'm assuming that's what they were going for with Man of Steel's ending. And if you count Superman in pop culture (comics, movies/etc.) he's killed plenty of folks. People in this same thread were talking about how the Injustice: Gods Among Us comics are good even though the entire story is set off by Superman beating Lois to death because he was brainwashed into thinking Lois was Doomsday (who he of course immediately wants to kill) followed by him murdering the Joker. But THIS, THIS is okay and cool and totally rad. But not him snapping Zod's neck in Man of Steel.

Is it going to be okay for Superman to kill or otherwise destroy Doomsday in this movie since that's something people remember better from the more hyped and heavily marketed comics?

This is what I meant with my post earlier, it could have been clearer. I think that people honestly couldn't care less if Superman kills a genocidal super powered maniac. They care and hate it because it wasn't presented in a comedic and/or badass way. You don't have to take my word for it, just look at how many people think Superman II is the best Superman movie!

It's interesting too, if people remember when Batman Begins came out, at that point in the public eye Batman killing Liam Neeson at the end with a one liner was considered too flippant for Batman by quite a few folks compared to the tone of the movie (even though half of the movie's script is goofy callbacks to the first half of its script). One has to wonder how the reaction would have been if it was filmed as originally scripted where rather than stopping to gloat Batman escapes in a silent and more urgent "Oh poo poo this thing really is going off the rails" way while Neeson realizes too late that the bridge is out.*

That Superman has only killed _ number of people in "the main canon" isn't relevant because not being beholden to a main canon is what makes interesting stories with any of these iconic long running pulp characters possible. I don't mean to direct this to anyone in this thread but I see this inconsistent reaction a lot where the same people who despise Man of Steel will in the same conversation at some point be sure to inform me how The Killing Joke is basically Hamlet because it's "real" in its brutality.

*I appreciate how every defeat any character goes through in Batman Begins in any context happens because they were not paying attention to their surroundings like Neeson warns Bruce way early in the movie.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 16, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McCloud posted:

Not for lack of trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQabrSpKcJw

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Best part is the history to that.

Supes throws down with Darkseid at the end of his series after Darkseid killed Dan Turpin and enslaved him and made him try to take over the world and alllll that fun stuff. He spares him at the last moment, and discovers that Darkseid's people are so broken that they would never have the courage to do what they need to do.

SO the very next time they run into each other, and Darkseid calls asking for help, Clark knows drat well that it's a trap and they're stupid for going. They go, Clark pointing out that this is literally the dumbest thing any of them have ever done, and he mostly hangs out until inevitably Darkseid betrays them all, shocking absolutely no one and especially not Superman.

Superman then attempts to beat Darkseid to death with his bare hands on an exploding space ship and only doesn't because Batman forcibly teleports them both away, which results in Superman telling Batman he's a punk rear end bitch.

Later Darkseid comes back again and Superman is proven correct. Batman is, in fact, a punk rear end bitch.

Detective Dog Dick
Oct 21, 2008

Detective Dog Dick

Rhyno posted:

Except during the learning to fly sequence.

Who can't help but a crack a smile when the Foo Fighters are on?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Detective Dog Dick posted:

Who can't help but a crack a smile when the Foo Fighters are on?

That's Learn to Fly

Learning to Fly is Tom Petty

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Besides this being wrong (a few characters like Supergirl/etc. do survive Zod's alternate earth massacre, and Superman would of course go on to kill Doomsday not long after), after his breakdown he swears he will never ever kill again. I'm assuming that's what they were going for with Man of Steel's ending. And if you count Superman in pop culture (comics, movies/etc.) he's killed plenty of folks. People in this same thread were talking about how the Injustice: Gods Among Us comics are good even though the entire story is set off by Superman beating Lois to death because he was brainwashed into thinking Lois was Doomsday (who he of course immediately wants to kill) followed by him murdering the Joker. But THIS, THIS is okay and cool and totally rad. But not him snapping Zod's neck in Man of Steel

Supergirl was at that point a pile of goo reconstitutong herself, so it still fell on Supes as the sole living being on that planet to judge them, so thats just picking the tiniest of nits and you know it.

Doomsday I'll grant you, embarrisingly I plain forgot him. Regarding killing, I was (a bit unclearly) referring to post crisis Superman. Elseworlds and precrisis supes don't really matter because they aren't the 'real' Supes.
Also people didn't complain about injustice Superman because it wasn't real Superman, just like they didn't complain about Red Son Superman lobotomising insurgents, you know that too.

quote:

That Superman has only killed _ number of people in "the main canon" isn't relevant because not being beholden to a main canon is what makes interesting stories with any of these iconic long running pulp characters possible. I don't mean to direct this to anyone in this thread but I see this inconsistent reaction a lot where the same people who despise Man of Steel will in the same conversation at some point be sure to inform me how The Killing Joke is basically Hamlet because it's "real" in its brutality.

It is relevant in that when you talk about the character of Superman in the comics you generally mean canon superman and not, say despot dictator Superman. You cant say 'Superman has killed people!' Then cite aome weird elseworld where he murders a pregnant woman.
That's the source material that Zack pulls from, and those are the stories that matter most and inform thr characters most.

You seem to think I am bothered by the ending in MoS. On the contrary, Snyder actually got inspired from the very same story I mentioned earlier. Not only does he have precedence of the 'real' Superman killing, he can use that to ground Supermans aversion to killing. It was a bold decision, but one I support, because it makes for a more interesting story than one where Superman intrinsically knows killing is always wrong.

But saying Supes kills people willy Nilly in the comics is plain false. He ( meaning post crisis supes) did twice, both very extraordinary circumstances. The nu52 superman doesn't even have that, as far as I know.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McCloud posted:

Doomsday I'll grant you, embarrisingly I plain forgot him. Regarding killing, I was (a bit unclearly) referring to post crisis Superman. Elseworlds and precrisis supes don't really matter because they aren't the 'real' Supes.
Also people didn't complain about injustice Superman because it wasn't real Superman, just like they didn't complain about Red Son Superman lobotomising insurgents, you know that too.

Technically nothing before 2011 is the "real" Supes either.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

Nah, that guy is still around, he and his wife survived and have been hiding out in the new universe apparently. They have their own book and everything.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

computer parts posted:

True, but nu52 supes has the advantage of not being a murderer, so there's that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McCloud posted:

True, but nu52 supes has the advantage of not being a murderer, so there's that.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I find Superman snapping necks less obnoxious than Action Comics 775 (What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?)

Because the idea of Superman pretending to kill people, horrifying the entire world just to pull a "nope, totally was joking just to prove a point on how I DON'T kill like these tools" is disturbing on a level that killing Zod to save a family is not.

There's material that paints Superman with every stroke imaginable, even clearly conflicting ideals. There's plenty of material for Snyder to pull to justify just about anything.

Just be thankful that Snyder won't use Superman: Grounded, Superman: Truth or Superman Meets the Quik Bunny as the inspiration for the solo Superman sequel.

Actually, scratch that. I'll take the last one over rewatching Man of Steel any day.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Superman vs. Godzilla is a movie I would watch.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

!
!!!!

I gave it chances because I'm not a monster. Movie doesn't work for me. And it never will. Here's hoping Batman V Superman is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

Superman vs. Godzilla is a movie I would watch.
I'm still waiting for a buddy's idea to see the light of day, Alien vs. Predator vs. Asterix.

• Locked thread