Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
keep in mind that's changing in just a week or two, the new expansion has a totally different system for overseas territory

e: incidentally, they posted the renders for the new unit packs:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/euiv-mare-nostrum-content-pack-renders.914311/

i hope they'll redo some of the default ones eventually- the vanilla african ones are the most egregious, but the basic european ones are pretty out of place compared to the swanky DLC packs too.

wonder if we'll ever see a west african pack now though. they got their big update in art of war, so if it didn't come in this expansion then i dunno what else could prompt it

Koramei fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
Do we know when it's out?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
my bet is the 29th

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Some modding questions:
1) I'm trying to add new military land units, infantry and cav, I thought it was just a matter of copying and modding an existing file in Europa Universalis IV\common\units (and then adding it to the country file, but that should only affect AI pick preferences) but the new units don't appear as a choice in game (did check so they were "western" in this case).

2) Returning problem, but localisation for new national ideas and idea groups is elusive for some reason. I tried adding localisation for a new national ideas and the new idea group in powers_and_ideas_I_english (both a name localisation and a _desc:). Is there another localisation file for ideas than this one?

3) I've also added another idea group (humanist etc) and added the graphics for it, but can't make the image appear in game (the idea choice shows up fine though). Which file do I need to add a line to so the game can find the gfx file?

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 19, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Athaboros posted:

:monocle: Wow, good to know, thanks for the tip!

Just as a note, straits count as a connection, so if you're down at the horn of africa and you own both sides of the strait connection then you won't get the "overseas" coring bonus.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Pimpmust posted:

Some modding questions:
1) I'm trying to add new military land units, infantry and cav, I thought it was just a matter of copying and modding an existing file in Europa Universalis IV\common\units (and then adding it to the country file, but that should only affect AI pick preferences) but the new units don't appear as a choice in game (did check so they were "western" in this case).

I believe you also need to mess with the technology file to declare when it becomes available.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Oh right, enable =

Question nr 4) Is there any way to have more control over the heirs in election-type governments? At least for monarchies you can write in names and their % chances of happening but those don't seem to apply for governments with elections.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

e: ignore me, I don't know poo poo about mods in this game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Athaboros posted:

:monocle: Wow, good to know, thanks for the tip!
Yup it is great. I released Syria from Qara then fed them the rest of their land from the Mamluks, then took Egypt for myself at the discounting coring cost. I took alllll of East Africa so ridiculously fast and timed the end of my last war to be a few months before I finished annexing Syria and BOOM my income and everything skyrocketed. Its getting close to 1700 and I have most of India conquered and am slowly pushing my way to Moscow and Rome.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Bort Bortles posted:

I'll have to post my Ottoman game when I get home - did you abuse the vassal-blocking-to-make-coring-50%-off mechanic? I did and got all of Egypt, East Africa, and Arabia by 1550 I think. Now I'm doing it to India.
I'm in the middle of tangling with a fat Ming because I am going to try to snag all of the Silk, and I am trying to get the "Definitely Sultan of Rum" achievement too.

No unfortunately I did not. I honestly didnt know that was a thing. I'm not well versed in a lot of the finer optimizing strategies. I shall try it next time as I am still excited about replaying them right away.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

DurosKlav posted:

Well that certainly wasnt an exaggeration. By the end I was at 750k manpower and about 1500 force limit.

It was a lot of fun though and the first time I feel like replaying the same country again right away to see if I can do better. I was a little slow off the start and over the course of the game I wasted too much time helping my 2 BFFs Lithuania and Poland for no gain. Only managed to get all of India around 1790, then just kind of stopped trying to do anything. I bet I could have chunked Ming somewhat.

Good job keeping Korea from reaching the Aral.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

BgRdMchne posted:

I dont even know how they got there tbh. I was focusing on taking India and dealing with ally wars in Europe and didnt see them oozing across central Asia like that. Russia was the one who blocked them that chunk of land I have I grabbed from them in like 1815 from the last Lithuanian war against Circassia who was allied with Russia. Thats one of the great things about this game is you never know what weird rear end poo poo you're going to see.

My favorite thing in this playthrough was the time I trapped 110,000 men from Austria and her allies on Venice. We could have demolished Austria a bit but stupid France went and peaced out.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

BgRdMchne posted:

It is merely the beginning of the reestablishment of the ancient Korean empire :kimchi:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jazerus posted:

It is merely the beginning of the reestablishment of the ancient Korean empire :kimchi:

Wow they really were gunning for achievements weren't they

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Jazerus posted:

What the hell is the crazy rear end story behind this completely ridiculous image?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DurosKlav posted:

What the hell is the crazy rear end story behind this completely ridiculous image?

It's a little thing called history, look it up sometime. Jeez.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

DurosKlav posted:

Nationalist revisionist history is a hell of a drug.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

It's a little thing called history, look it up sometime. Jeez.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Can somebody verify for me that Makuria is covered in TI for Mamluks, and that most of Egypt is covered in TI for Makuria? I thought it was a bug with EG, but after trying literally everything, I noticed that it was happening even without the mod enabled and after validating my files. Had one other person verify it, but I want to make sure it's not somehow magically being caused by running EG in the first place.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

IF ONLY.

So my redo on Ottomans is going pretty well I'd say. I have the Syrian vassal block setup. I just hope taking these 4 provinces from Hungry doesnt end up causing a coalition war against me. I best lay low in Europe for a bit. Austria got slapped down by Venice and lost the HRE to Brandenburg so they are soft and squishy.

EDIT: Quick question on the blocking. If I took Cyprus or Crete would I lose the over sea penalty on Africa?

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 20, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I force converted my vassal France to Protestant from Catholic. In the span of ~50 years they switched back to Catholic, to Reformed, and then to Protestant again. They had some rebels but none that sieged anything down. It's madness.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Lori posted:

Can somebody verify for me that Makuria is covered in TI for Mamluks, and that most of Egypt is covered in TI for Makuria? I thought it was a bug with EG, but after trying literally everything, I noticed that it was happening even without the mod enabled and after validating my files. Had one other person verify it, but I want to make sure it's not somehow magically being caused by running EG in the first place.

I confirmed that it is, in fact, Paradox's fault. :smith:

Also, Europa Gooniversalis 4 is live on the workshop now, sure to be riddled with random cores and missing localization:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=648947153

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

Some modding questions:

2) Returning problem, but localisation for new national ideas and idea groups is elusive for some reason. I tried adding localisation for a new national ideas and the new idea group in powers_and_ideas_I_english (both a name localisation and a _desc:). Is there another localisation file for ideas than this one?

3) I've also added another idea group (humanist etc) and added the graphics for it, but can't make the image appear in game (the idea choice shows up fine though). Which file do I need to add a line to so the game can find the gfx file?

Seems like I've found at least part of the solution for #3, in ideas.gfx there's code for each idea SpriteType
spriteType = {
name = "GFX_idea_XXXX_ideas"
texturefile = "gfx//interface//ideas//idea_XXXX_ideas.tga"
noOfFrames = 1

effectFile = "gfx/FX/buttonstate_linear.lua"
}

texturefile = refers to the actual gfx file, not sure how important the "name =" is, doesn't seem to be refering to any other file, but maybe that line is used by something else...

Also found out that there's localisation for military units I need to add some where (they show up now though), and along the way I've gotten an localisation error in because advisor names don't show up and certain lines show up like MON_ADM_LONG and MODIFIER_POSSIBLE_MERCENARY (something). Not sure which localisation file it is thoughit's in text_I_english.yml.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 20, 2016

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

DurosKlav posted:

IF ONLY.

So my redo on Ottomans is going pretty well I'd say. I have the Syrian vassal block setup. I just hope taking these 4 provinces from Hungry doesnt end up causing a coalition war against me. I best lay low in Europe for a bit. Austria got slapped down by Venice and lost the HRE to Brandenburg so they are soft and squishy.

EDIT: Quick question on the blocking. If I took Cyprus or Crete would I lose the over sea penalty on Africa?

If your capital is on the same continent as the provinces you're trying to vassal block (Constantinople and most of Anatolia are in Europe for the purposes of game mechanics) then the vassal block trick doesn't work for reduced coring costs.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is there really only one advisor portrait pack, Paradox? I want unique advisor portraits for all my unique snowflake countries :(

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

DurosKlav posted:

IF ONLY.

FadingChord posted:

If your capital is on the same continent as the provinces you're trying to vassal block (Constantinople and most of Anatolia are in Europe for the purposes of game mechanics) then the vassal block trick doesn't work for reduced coring costs.
Honestly at this point I wouldn't put a lot of effort into trying to figure out exploiting overseas coring discounts. That's getting removed in the next patch which will come out very soon.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Jeoh posted:

Is there really only one advisor portrait pack, Paradox? I want unique advisor portraits for all my unique snowflake countries :(

They're mostly bundled in with DLC. Still there are only Cossack, Muslim and American ones. Probably African ones with the new content pack if I had to guess.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

DurosKlav posted:

IF ONLY.

I will be surprised if you do not get coalitioned to death. I wait to do major poo poo in Europe like that till I am bigger, so if i do something dumb like end up the target of a huge coalition I can deal with it better.

Nope, taking Crete of Cyprus will not screw up the vassal blocking. Like Fading Chord said - you need to be able to trace a direct line over directly-adjacent-by-land(or a straight) to your capital to have to pay the full coring cost in Africa or Asia.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

DurosKlav posted:

IF ONLY.

Yeah that coalition's going to gently caress you up pretty badly even if you're allied to PLC and France. Don't count on allies to join in huge coalition wars, they'll often just nope out of the alliance rather than stare down the barrel of 400k dudes.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Jazerus posted:

I love that picture so much

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh man as Brandenburg always royal marry Bohemia. Chances are they will get your dynasty, and Poland will help you take the throne

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

hapsburg.jpg

Austria has a PU over Sweden, so that's another one.

edit: Ethopia has gone Hapsburg as well. Ahhh. Maybe I'll get a PU for once in my life.

Tsyni fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 21, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Node posted:

Wow they really were gunning for achievements weren't they

There really should be one for that

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Seems like I've found at least part of the solution for #3, in ideas.gfx there's code for each idea SpriteType
spriteType = {
name = "GFX_idea_XXXX_ideas"
texturefile = "gfx//interface//ideas//idea_XXXX_ideas.tga"
noOfFrames = 1

effectFile = "gfx/FX/buttonstate_linear.lua"
}

texturefile = refers to the actual gfx file, not sure how important the "name =" is, doesn't seem to be refering to any other file, but maybe that line is used by something else...

Also found out that there's localisation for military units I need to add some where (they show up now though), and along the way I've gotten an localisation error in because advisor names don't show up and certain lines show up like MON_ADM_LONG and MODIFIER_POSSIBLE_MERCENARY (something). Not sure which localisation file it is thoughit's in text_I_english.yml.

Phone posting, but the basics of localization is that you can create a file called whateverthehelliwant with the localization extension and fill that text file with your own stuff. Make sure the start of the file looks like
code:
l_english:
 phrase = "what the game should display"
And though the rest a cesspool, the modding section of the official forums is a good resource, and most questions can be answered there. Including the idea graphics one you have.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My ally of 230 years, with 100 trust, just pirated me. -172 opinion malus. Neat. That seems high.

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer
Had a strange bug/feature today:

Playing as Denmark, I'm supporting loyalists in Sweden to keep them placated. I get a loyalists event that reduces liberty desire by 10%. Sweet Swedes are happier with me!

Except the liberty desire is reduced in Aragon. Which I am in no manner supporting or affiliated with.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

sloshmonger posted:

Phone posting, but the basics of localization is that you can create a file called whateverthehelliwant with the localization extension and fill that text file with your own stuff. Make sure the start of the file looks like
code:
l_english:
 phrase = "what the game should display"
And though the rest a cesspool, the modding section of the official forums is a good resource, and most questions can be answered there. Including the idea graphics one you have.

I did find the idea graphics solution on my own, but thanks for the heads up on the mod file. Wasn't sure if the game actually expects certain localisation lines to show up in certain files which made me pause. The weird thing is that I've added the lines to an existing file as I usually do and I can't find any error with them, but the game still freaks out... might be an error somewhere else in the localisation file(s) that trips it up, but it seems rather specific.

And trying to come up with a new idea group + national ideas make me realize how restricted you are for actual meaningful stuff that's not just Git-Gudder-at-War/Moneys/Stability/ExpansionDiplo, suddenly I want Stellaris-like pops for EUIV :ohdear:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Oh man as Brandenburg always royal marry Bohemia. Chances are they will get your dynasty, and Poland will help you take the throne

That seems like it has a chance of not paying off, and my first priority as Brandenburg is to smash Poland's face in and never let up until there's no Poland left.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
Good news for people who like having allies - DDRJake just confirmed on the Mare Nostrum stream that AI's will no longer pirate in nodes which will offend allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

dublish posted:

That seems like it has a chance of not paying off, and my first priority as Brandenburg is to smash Poland's face in and never let up until there's no Poland left.

You'll know if it does really fast, as soon as their interregnum ends. And with them and Austria at your side, killing Poland is easy. But use Poland to your advantage first.

• Locked thread