Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i'd like to be able to play the game

that would be nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

I want a game that explains the basic functions of its own mechanics. Parsing youtube videos and forums was fine when CVS2 released, it's pathetic that that's still the only resource for information on a new release in TYOOL 2016.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

FanaticalMilk posted:

I want a game that explains the basic functions of its own mechanics. Parsing youtube videos and forums was fine when CVS2 released, it's pathetic that that's still the only resource for information on a new release in TYOOL 2016.

It should've been there at launch but the tutorials they're adding actually sound pretty ok

quote:

Challenge Mode

Demonstrations: Learn the ins and outs of Street Fighter V through helpful demonstration and tutorial content. Contains content for each of the 16 characters, as well as advice geared towards players of all skill levels:

Beginner Tutorials: 12 lessons covering, movement, normal attacks, special attacks, V-System, throws, counter hits, chip/recoverable damage, etc.

Intermediate Tutorials: 11 lessons covering projectiles, invincibility frames, armor and armor break, recovery, cross-up attacks, anti-air options, etc.

Advanced Tutorials: 4 lessons covering back dashing, frame advantage/disadvantage, combo potential, button priority, etc.

Character Tutorials: 16 lessons covering each individual character.

Trials: Put your skills to the ultimate test with combo trials for all 16 characters, ranging from basic to pro combos. Completing Trials will also earn you some extra Fight Money.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah there are a lot of little things in all fighting game that new players simply can't wrap their heads around immediately, every fighting game these days should have a solid tutorial, but it seems like there are no competent companies making fg's. I guess what I really want is a fighting game made by an american company that isn't NRS.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Yeah, I know they're coming, it's just pathetic they weren't their at launch. Really everything missing at launch was a pretty pathetic omission. I think everyone and their brother would've much rather had actual lobbies, an actual tutorial, actual side modes, and an online system that punished ragequitters rather than the most in-depth replay system ever seen in a fighting game. Lord knows reviewers would not have been making posts saying "Don't buy this game" if the replay and stat-tracking systems were shipped incomplete.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

So...surprise update tomorrow?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its gonna be 29th or never if i had to guess

Dracula Factory posted:

Yeah there are a lot of little things in all fighting game that new players simply can't wrap their heads around immediately, every fighting game these days should have a solid tutorial, but it seems like there are no competent companies making fg's. I guess what I really want is a fighting game made by an american company that isn't NRS.

xrd has a good tutorial. skullgirls has a good tutorial and is made in america.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

Yeah, I know they're coming, it's just pathetic they weren't their at launch. Really everything missing at launch was a pretty pathetic omission. I think everyone and their brother would've much rather had actual lobbies, an actual tutorial, actual side modes, and an online system that punished ragequitters rather than the most in-depth replay system ever seen in a fighting game. Lord knows reviewers would not have been making posts saying "Don't buy this game" if the replay and stat-tracking systems were shipped incomplete.

The stat tracking systems did ship incomplete lol

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Real hurthling! posted:

its gonna be 29th or never if i had to guess

Also that one Xbone game that goons love to hate has a solid tutorial and is made in the USA.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hooray, the average player rank floated up enough so i could finally make it to super gold despite being bad

necalli was a full charge character at some point of development, right? oh, what could have been

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

cams posted:

hooray, the average player rank floated up enough so i could finally make it to super gold despite being bad

necalli was a full charge character at some point of development, right? oh, what could have been

All-motion at first (his charge attack was just a qcf+punch), then charge required for his charge and dp with the stomp being a motion.

What could have been indeed. :sigh:

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

cams posted:

I thought it was the other way around?

E: beaten

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

A.o.D. posted:

Also that one Xbone game that goons love to hate has a solid tutorial and is made in the USA.

fighter within? :iamafag:

dangerdoom volvo posted:

it actually does explain "the bare minimum of its mechanics", super v-poo poo etc its in the tutorial when you start the game

The game stops immediately after trigger and you dont see any effect or explanation.

VVV

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 22, 2016

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
it actually does explain "the bare minimum of its mechanics", super v-poo poo etc its in the tutorial when you start the game

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I 10-0'd an ultra gold guy with fang in a lobby and felt good, then I searched their name on Google and found two pages of people posting their ragequit videos.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I own Skullgirls exactly because it seemed to have competent, communicative devs, but the characters didn't appeal to me and the reset and assist-heavy gameplay is really niche and I don't want to play a game with a microscopic cummunity.

And I'll never play KI simply because it's hard to look at, the ridiculous spark effects make every match look like a Judas Priest video. And the cast seems to be varied but 100% bland.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dracula Factory posted:

I own Skullgirls exactly because it seemed to have competent, communicative devs, but the characters didn't appeal to me and the reset and assist-heavy gameplay is really niche and I don't want to play a game with a microscopic cummunity.

And I'll never play KI simply because it's hard to look at, the ridiculous spark effects make every match look like a Judas Priest video. And the cast seems to be varied but 100% bland.

I'm glad I bought Skullgirls twice and never really played it, because now they're making an RPG made in the style of Valkyrie Profile, one of my favorite RPGs of all time :allears:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Dracula Factory posted:

Same

Ki is also going down the "toss in any license we can get" road alongside mkx which is sort of a dumb reason to shun a game but it feels lame as hell that both games are turning into ms ip-graveyard allstars and hollywood frightfest respectively

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 22, 2016

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
KI also has pretty good balance, too, and if you ever get a chance to watch them go over game-wide balancing changes, I recommend it. They put a lot of thought into how the game works and are generally really responsive to fan concerns from what I've seen.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bhsman posted:

KI also has pretty good balance, too, and if you ever get a chance to watch them go over game-wide balancing changes, I recommend it. They put a lot of thought into how the game works and are generally really responsive to fan concerns from what I've seen.

yeah the support seems like its been stellar. i'm interested to see what happens when it launches as a broken windows 10 app and how they go about making it right for buyers

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
If they just released it on Steam I'd buy it on day 1, but I'm not going to bother risking unstable drivers on W10.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I was going to get KI, but it's looking like it's going to be saddled as some form of exclusive Games For Windows Live: The Rebrandening™ upon release. If it does release on Steam then I might reconsider and pick it up.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
BananaKen made this video on the jump/throw tech OS thing it's good and covers the basics really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeTk1etiz88

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Welp.

quote:

About two weeks ago, the top ranked player on the Street Fighter 5 online leader boards was docked over 9,000 points when evidence of rage quitting surfaced online.

Japanese F.A.N.G player WORLD_COMBO has climbed back to the number one ranked position obtaining 10,732 League Points after falling to a mere 675 back on March 7th.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/mar/21/player-who-was-smitten-top-street-fighter-5-leaderboards-cheating-now-back-top/

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

BananaKen made this video on the jump/throw tech OS thing it's good and covers the basics really well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeTk1etiz88

Thanks. He also posted this: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sofgiu

quote:

Capcom seems to want to remove (or at least discourage) the use of option selects involving throws, but the problem is that the upcoming jump startup change doesn't really change much in the case of fuzzy jumps. The reason why is explained here: https://twitter.com/fubarduck/status/708435826384867328

So what would it take to truly get rid of option selects revolving around throw/throw teching? If you want to target fuzzy jump specifically (or jump tech OS as some call it), you can add jumping inputs to the list of things that disable throw techs. Even then, there's still some things you could potentially do to OS tech, but I can't say for sure without testing the next SFV patch.

What *I* would do if I were going out of my way to remove these option selects altogether is to add a special rule for throw inputs inside a late tech window:
1. Check if the player has input LP+LK within the late throw tech window
2. Next, the game needs to examine if the player's LP+LK input results in a ground throw
3. If the game confirms that the LP+LK input is a raw throw, then it's a legal tech attempt, otherwise it fails

2. is easily either complicated and/or tedious. You could do this by special casing every single situation you can think of (this is what Capcom is currently trying to do), or you could implement a more general solution. You would need to keep track of a player's inputs before and after the throw, and once the player gets thrown you would look at the inputs and determine what the outcome of those inputs would be *assuming the player wasn't thrown*. If you could "simulate" this internally and determine whether a raw throw input comes out, then you'd effectively have a way to remove all OSes people could possibly come up with involving throw tech, since any legal tech attempt would require a raw throw whiff as a risk

So the question is: is SFV going to be a more interesting game if these throw tech OSes are truly gone? I can't really answer that yet, but I do know that fuzzy jump has been a game-changing tool in many games in the past, and SFV is going to be another one of those games. It changes how you have to apply pressure to the opponent that uses it. It's not a perfect defensive tool by any means, but to exploit the weaknesses in fuzzy jumps you usually have to resort to calling out the fuzzy jump option, often times at the expense of neglecting other options the opponents can use.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

If they make jump inputs cancel the throw tech like they are doing with buttons in the patch, like BananaKen suggests, does that have other consequences? I'm assuming there are since they didn't do it

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dracula Factory posted:

Exactly my situation. I wish Skullgirls was a different game, but I don't regret my purchase at all as it's a well made game for what it is.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

fozzy fosbourne posted:

If they make jump inputs cancel the throw tech like they are doing with buttons in the patch, like BananaKen suggests, does that have other consequences? I'm assuming there are since they didn't do it

The consequence is exactly that: you can't do jump inputs or you won't break throws successfully. You'd still be throw invul frame 1 while jumping, it'd just be pretty draconian to most people to have that kind of special rule. You kinda have to do that if you want to remove fuzzy jump from the game though. The only other thing I can think of is making jump startup frames CH state, and that would probably be a shitshow :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Night Blade posted:

Exactly my situation. I wish Skullgirls was a different game, but I don't regret my purchase at all as it's a well made game for what it is.

Same; it's fun to play with friends and have no idea what we're doing, if nothing else.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

madmac posted:

Same.

I do think Alex is probably the least interesting of the DLC characters but c'mon, new dude is new. It'll be fun for a couple weeks even if he's the worst character ever. Adding anything to the barebones release game/roster would be a relief at this point.

How is it you guys are bored with 16 characters already? Maybe its because the games been around in various versions for so long and I'm just new to it all. But from my perspective I've spent 3 weeks learning ryu, can barely pass 300lp, and the fact that there are 15 other characters that i havent even tried outside of story mode means there's months left of the release until i'm even the slightest bit bored...

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I've been using a MadCatz TES+ on my PS4 since SFV launched. Tonight I started using it and everything worked fine except the R1 button. Now it's having problems recognizing any of the buttons or the stick when I'm in SFV, although the buttons work okay in the PS4 menu. The stick doesn't seem to be recognized at all in any other game. Is there anything I can do before sending it back?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I've been using a MadCatz TES+ on my PS4 since SFV launched. Tonight I started using it and everything worked fine except the R1 button. Now it's having problems recognizing any of the buttons or the stick when I'm in SFV, although the buttons work okay in the PS4 menu. The stick doesn't seem to be recognized at all in any other game. Is there anything I can do before sending it back?

Try plugging it into your PC to see if it works there, if you have button problems it might be as simple as replacing a relatively cheap sanwa button.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Non-specific poo poo: remove it from your devices list, unplug and plug in again. Restore default controller settings in-game. If R1 works fine outside of SFV, then you can probably rule out wiring and switch failure (to R1 anyway.) I feel like the stick should be recognized as a controller in other games, though, so maybe you've got something duddy on your hands. I couldn't say one way or the other since I don't have a Madcatz stick and can't try it myself.

Also, I dunno if this is at all common, but my first USB port is way loose, so I just use the second one. Maybe double check the connection while unplugging and reconnecting.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 22, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
cant wait for the surprise patch this week

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip

First Time Caller posted:

How is it you guys are bored with 16 characters already?
They're all underpowered and boring with less offensive options than ever before, all with the same gameplan of "get in and press your best buttons, then throw maybe" (with the exception of Dhalsim)

Because of this, you can learn how to play a character at a semi-competent to intermediate level within 10 minutes, for better or worse

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

enojy posted:

Non-specific poo poo: remove it from your devices list, unplug and plug in again. Restore default controller settings in-game. If R1 works fine outside of SFV, then you can probably rule out wiring and switch failure (to R1 anyway.) I feel like the stick should be recognized as a controller in other games, though, so maybe you've got something duddy on your hands. I couldn't say one way or the other since I don't have a Madcatz stick and can't try it myself.

Also, I dunno if this is at all common, but my first USB port is way loose, so I just use the second one. Maybe double check the connection while unplugging and reconnecting.

I tried some of this stuff and it worked fine for twenty minutes and then the exact same poo poo happened. It's still tied to R1 so I think that's where the problems started.

I know you don't have a Madcatz stick, but what's it like replacing buttons? I'm hesitant to get started and I know it would void the warranty.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dracula Factory posted:

FWIW, yeah the game doesn't have a Street Fighter sized play pool...but nothing else does? Compared to other PC fighters, SG's scene usually felt like it had way more activity since the base is actually growing. If you compared SG PC to the console counterparts, I always felt SG PC had more than Xrd console as well, comparable to MKX console but that's just from limited MKX playing so IDK how MKX holds up recently.

I'd hesitate to call the scene "large", but I wouldn't call it microscopic since for online the PC version is actually pretty active. Console version online is pretty dead though.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

inthesto posted:

I'm glad I bought Skullgirls twice and never really played it, because now they're making an RPG made in the style of Valkyrie Profile, one of my favorite RPGs of all time :allears:

Whoah really? What's it called? This sounds like a chocolate and peanut butter situation for me.

I liked the overall aesthetics and style of Skullgirls but I think I would have enjoyed fighting more if it was KoF style teams instead of tag teams.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Whoah really? What's it called? This sounds like a chocolate and peanut butter situation for me.

I liked the overall aesthetics and style of Skullgirls but I think I would have enjoyed fighting more if it was KoF style teams instead of tag teams.

Indivisible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Celebrity Ghost posted:

Indivisible, thread here.

The game still has barely started development since Lab Zero took a little break for the holidays after the indiegogo, but we'll probably see stuff coming in the next couple of months of early progress since they are still wrapping up some SG stuff as well now.