Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Elyv posted:

btw according to the flavor article the gitrog is literally hypnotoad

which...doesn't come through in the card at all :I

Could've been something Sisters of Stone Death-ish, forcing creatures to attack/block into its deathtouch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

mcmagic posted:

It is. Can't help it though. Personality defect.

My buddies and i were just talking about a guy at our LGS today Ray who is 100% spike. He can not have fun if he isn't winning. I'm glad I'm wired different because honestly that sounds awful.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

mcmagic posted:

You know, I can totally sympathize with this, as a fellow hyper competitive person.

I guess I've just lost so many games of magic over the past 20 years that it's taken most of the sting out of it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Looks familiar:

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
Is Gitrog Toad not the vanilla mythic Maro was talking about? Or am I misunderstanding the term "vanilla"?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
It must not be, its not remotely vanilla

edit:
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may discard your hand. If you do, draw that many cards.

Uh, isn't this ridiculously good?

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 23, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
3U
Creature - Zombie Rare
Skulk

At the beginning of your upkeep, you may discard your hand. If you do, draw that many cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

How do you feel about results-oriented thinking?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

We can't give not-blue Mind Control effects, that would be unfair to blue.

black gets Mind Control Effects very rarely tho, I think "literal Hypnotoad" is a good reason to use it this time

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Its followers are just really taken with the possible Life from the Loam combo and want to learn more.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

superstepa posted:

Is Gitrog Toad not the vanilla mythic Maro was talking about? Or am I misunderstanding the term "vanilla"?

Vanilla - No rules text, just stats.
French Vanilla - Evergreen keywords only.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chill la Chill posted:

How do you feel about results-oriented thinking?

I don't think it's incompatible with anything I've said. Obviously even if you give yourself the best chance to win, you're not going to win all the time in a game with this much variance. Part of getting better at this game is trying to get beyond that. That doesn't mean that losing is ever going to be fun though.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

mandatory lesbian posted:

I guess that's true. I wonder what they could create, current permanent types seem to encompass so much

Related question, what Permanent Types exist now that didn't exist in Alpha? Is it just Planeswalker?

lol I was being facetious since it's some dumb common draft fodder, I have no fuckin clue why

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
My friends who play and I are about 3 people short of being able to do 8 man cube drafts all the time at someones house. I think I'd stop going to the LGS if I could draft and drink a couple beers without paying $12. I like competing against people in games in general, no AI is going to offer a real challenge. I also like not twitch games because I'm poo poo at them, I don't have the reflexes for it. Magic is a great game but I can separate playing to win vs. having a good time if I'm losing. I'm happy to be playing a cool game with some buds.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Looks familiar:

Would Memory Lapse be too good for Modern? I always liked that card. One of the few cool things to come out of Homelands.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

I don't think it's incompatible with anything I've said. Obviously even if you give yourself the best chance to win, you're not going to win all the time in a game with this much variance. Part of getting better at this game is trying to get beyond that. That doesn't mean that losing is ever going to be fun though.

If you play to have fun, you never lose.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Being competitive doesn't mean being unhappy if you aren't winning, it just means you enjoy yourself most when you are trying to win. And that means disregarding the vast majority of cards in each set because they are Bad For Winning

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Isn't the green vessel just better than the blue vessel, barring extremely unlucky misses and the rare case of targeting your opponent? With the green vessel you get a better than average card and 3 cards in the grave that you get a small amount of selection over. With the blue one you get a random card and 3 random cards in the grave. The green one even seems to have a cost that curves better.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Cactrot posted:

If you play to have fun, you never lose.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't the green vessel just better than the blue vessel, barring extremely unlucky misses and the rare case of targeting your opponent? With the green vessel you get a better than average card and 3 cards in the grave that you get a small amount of selection over. With the blue one you get a random card and 3 random cards in the grave. The green one even seems to have a cost that curves better.

The blue one can be used to help mill out your opponent, if that's a thing. Which it could be.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A big flaming stink posted:

Being competitive doesn't mean being unhappy if you aren't winning, it just means you enjoy yourself most when you are trying to win. And that means disregarding the vast majority of cards in each set because they are Bad For Winning

Yeah. I'm not unhappy if I don't win and I gave myself the best chance to win. I just didn't have fun. It's not the same thing.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Secret blue mill deck in limited.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If lots of limited decks are trying to self-mill themselves to turn on Delirium, a mill deck that says "you want cards in your graveyard? OK have ALL the cards in your graveyard" could actually be good if there's the cards for it. It needs a few creatures that mill though, sitting there casting enchantments while they're hitting you with creatures is a race you're unlikely to win.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rinkles posted:

3U
Creature - Zombie Rare
Skulk

Ok, here's a creature with a powerful enough ability that it would be worth discussing in modern despite having 4 cmc. Except you have to untap with it and it is cursed with the dread 3 toughness.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm just saying green vessel could be played in Rock to have an easy enchantment to put into play ;)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

UberJew posted:

Ok, here's a creature with a powerful enough ability that it would be worth discussing in modern despite having 4 cmc. Except you have to untap with it and it is cursed with the dread 3 toughness.

It's also a pretty miserable top deck... And the zombie deck is going to have a pretty low curve so even if you can slam this on T4 you might not more than 1-2 cards in hand.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Rinkles posted:

3U
Creature - Zombie Rare
Skulk

Sphinx's Tutelage just got interesting again.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Entropic posted:

If lots of limited decks are trying to self-mill themselves to turn on Delirium, a mill deck that says "you want cards in your graveyard? OK have ALL the cards in your graveyard" could actually be good if there's the cards for it. It needs a few creatures that mill though, sitting there casting enchantments while they're hitting you with creatures is a race you're unlikely to win.

An uncommon creature, a common enchantment, a bomb rare.

Plenty of the set left to be spoiled. I'm jacing a serious clue about mill being a limited theme here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I hate this card.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Entropic posted:

I mean, the thing about Delirium as opposed to flashback is that once it's active, you don't really benefit from getting any more cards in the graveyard

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It does suck a bit since the other members of that cycle are decent to good.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Kraus posted:

It's a contradiction in terms. If it's not on the battlefield, it's not a permanent.

It's not a permanent, but it's a permanent card. For example, in literally the most recent block, you'll find this rules text:

mandatory lesbian posted:

why doesn't this just say "Permanent Card" instead of listing them out?

Cards that refer to "permanent cards" almost all provide a way of putting them onto the battlefield; they probably don't like using that rules templating when "can this be put onto the battlefield?" isn't the crucial question because it tends to make ill-informed pedants upset that they're calling cards permanents when they're not on the battlefield. The only exceptions I can find are Nature's Spiral and Verdant Confluence, which both return permanent cards from your graveyard to your hand.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I wonder if we'll get a Cremate / Beckon Apparition / Crypt Creeper type card for turning off Delirium at instant speed.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

jassi007 posted:

My buddies and i were just talking about a guy at our LGS today Ray who is 100% spike. He can not have fun if he isn't winning. I'm glad I'm wired different because honestly that sounds awful.

I don't even have fun when I win!

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

It's not a permanent, but it's a permanent card. For example, in literally the most recent block, you'll find this rules text:

Cards that refer to "permanent cards" almost all provide a way of putting them onto the battlefield; they probably don't like using that rules templating when "can this be put onto the battlefield?" isn't the crucial question because it tends to make ill-informed pedants upset that they're calling cards permanents when they're not on the battlefield. The only exceptions I can find are Nature's Spiral and Verdant Confluence, which both return permanent cards from your graveyard to your hand.

I stand corrected.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Snacksmaniac posted:

I don't even have fun when I win!

"If you have fun playing this game you clearly aren't ready to be an actual tournament player, scrub."
-mcmagic

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Nibble posted:

Could've been something Sisters of Stone Death-ish, forcing creatures to attack/block into its deathtouch.

the card is super cool so I don't really mind but maybe they should have flavored it differently in the article

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've been flirting with shifting my modern loam deck from bgrw to bgru and some of these SoI cards are making it more tempting. An old card that's been tempting me into blue is trade routes.

However, I'd lose the front side of lingering souls, path to exile and knight of the reliquary.

I think I'll work up a list for testing...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

But it makes sense, doesn't it? Green is the color of card drawing and filtering after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
delve is gone when standard rotates right?

• Locked thread