Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That's true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

General Morden posted:

pokken is a better game than sf5
:agreed:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

General Morden posted:

pokken is a better game than sf5

It even has a better Ken design than SFV has.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
r. pika is good

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It even has a better Ken design than SFV has.
blazi....... ken :aaa:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Blaziken is the worst starter evolution in the world. It's so bad.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

samurott, imo

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Cat Machine posted:

samurott, imo

I second this. Firechicken is good.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You are the worst starter evolution.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone replaced the spring in their stick with something stiffer? Seems like it would help dashes and 3D fighters

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone replaced the spring in their stick with something stiffer? Seems like it would help dashes and 3D fighters

I did. Makes dashes way easier, imo. Also now nobody borrows my stick which is nice.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

burger time posted:

I did. Makes dashes way easier, imo. Also now nobody borrows my stick which is nice.

How hard was replacing the spring, and what spring did you use? I'm interested in this since I have a lot of trouble dashing in SF5 because the stick doesn't travel back far enough sometimes.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

burger time posted:

Nice. What type of spring did you use? I have two sticks for a moment, I want to do some a/b

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

How hard was replacing the spring, and what spring did you use? I'm interested in this since I have a lot of trouble dashing in SF5 because the stick doesn't travel back far enough sometimes.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Nice. What type of spring did you use? I have two sticks for a moment, I want to do some a/b

I used this spring:

https://www.focusattack.com/2lb-tension-spring-for-sanwa-jlf/

Replacing the spring takes as much work as replacing the balltop - you have to partially disassemble the joystick. The only hard part is removing / replacing a metal clip that holds everything together. There are plenty of guides around if you google. Way easier than replacing the PCB was.

I also installed this:

https://www.focusattack.com/kowal-1mm-oversize-actuator-for-sanwa-jlf-series-joystick/

I just wanted to try the actuator and its honestly hard for me to tell if it makes a difference. But I haven't switched back, so...

E: the other reason i changed the spring was to support a heavy aluminum balltop. That, I like a lot - my joystick has a lot of weight and I feel like I have more control.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

I think it looks kinda interesting, at least as "guys we solved fighting games" attempts go. Might give it a whirl.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Is this accurate.

I see that this thread has a sticky thread to the SRK fightstick recommendation thread. But that thread is 5 years old.

Yeah sorry about that, I've felt for a while now that some sustained discussion of how to shop for sticks, price point recommendations, modding info, etc. would be a great addition to the thread. I have some knowledge there, but probably not enough to write a definitive guide (and I haven't been in the market for a stick since modding my TE-S, so my info is dated).

If some sticklords wanted to compile some info and recommendations, I wouldn't mind adding it in.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

I think it looks kinda interesting, at least as "guys we solved fighting games" attempts go. Might give it a whirl.

I like stuff like this when it's a legit attempt to do something new and different because you want something new. I hate it when it's infomertial style "Fighting game finger puzzles are just too hard. There's got to be a better way!"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Brosnan posted:

If some sticklords wanted to compile some info and recommendations, I wouldn't mind adding it in.

lemme see if i can scrape something up tonight

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
FWIW, the shoryuken guide is so long, in depth and written by an antagonistic shitlord it didn't do much for me as a new player.

Basically what I gathered was that if you're new, buy a Madcatz TE or a Hori RAP (any of the varieties of either), and if you're looking for something more specialized than that you've probably been playing for years and already have an idea of where to look for custom parts and/or ultra-premium stuff.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

burger time posted:

I used this spring:

https://www.focusattack.com/2lb-tension-spring-for-sanwa-jlf/

Replacing the spring takes as much work as replacing the balltop - you have to partially disassemble the joystick. The only hard part is removing / replacing a metal clip that holds everything together. There are plenty of guides around if you google. Way easier than replacing the PCB was.

Cool, thanks!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Also i have a larger spring on my sticks and I love it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

attackmole posted:

Basically what I gathered was that if you're new, buy a Madcatz TE or a Hori RAP

Yeah that's basically why I made the short version in the OP, but admittedly if you don't know what a Mad Catz TE is then a picture of one isn't real useful.

Aside from more stick info, I can see writing some content to discuss stuff like "What are good options per price point?" "Should I get an octogate/hitbox/other gimmicky poo poo?" "Where do I look for parts/modding info?" etc.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

Yeah that's basically why I made the short version in the OP, but admittedly if you don't know what a Mad Catz TE is then a picture of one isn't real useful.

Aside from more stick info, I can see writing some content to discuss stuff like "What are good options per price point?" "Should I get an octogate/hitbox/other gimmicky poo poo?" "Where do I look for parts/modding info?" etc.

Octogate bad, hitbox good. Stick to jlf and sanwas, it's not the stick, it's your execution. If you can't buy an hrap or TE just buy a pad since sticks under 150 are turds. OP done.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

Octogate bad, hitbox good. Stick to jlf and sanwas, it's not the stick, it's your execution. If you can't buy an hrap or TE just buy a pad since sticks under 150 are turds. OP done.

Also if you only need xbox/pc support, used previous gen HRAP or TE sticks with sanwa parts can be found for like $80 with a little searching.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

What's the verdict on those budget sticks that came out recently, the madcatz and the hori mini

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mintergalactic posted:

What's the verdict on those budget sticks that came out recently, the madcatz and the hori mini

The Madcatz one is an overpriced shitter. The Hori is probably worth $50 to those looking to just test the waters, although I've been that guy that bought a $50 stick once upon a time and ended up returning it pretty quickly. Neither have replaceable parts.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

enojy posted:

The Madcatz one is an overpriced shitter. The Hori is probably worth $50 to those looking to just test the waters, although I've been that guy that bought a $50 stick once upon a time and ended up returning it pretty quickly. Neither have replaceable parts.

The Madcatz parts are replaceable, though it's kind of a pain because there's not much space to work with in the case. At any rate it's putting more money into a stick that weighs too little and is cramped.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's actually the best. It's banned in standard play because Speed Boost is such a powerful ability.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

it is posted:

It's actually the best. It's banned in standard play because Speed Boost is such a powerful ability.

Oh word?

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

Yeah, Blaziken's in Ubers. He's not great anymore in that environment I don't think but 4 of Protect, Swords Dance, Baton Pass, Flare Blitz, and Hi Jump Kick is basically a standard set that does a ton of super-fast damage to anything without priority in the tier.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also he's a bird on fire that does karate and that's cool

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So I decided to do some research of how long it takes each developer to make a fighting game character depending on how detailed they are.

What I found out from doing research and talking to developers:

Basic 3D Models = ~ 1 month per character
Arcana Heart resolution sprites = ~2 months per character
Guilty Gear Xrd character models = ~4 months per character
Blazblue = ~5 months per character
King of Fighters XIII = ~16 months
Skullgirls = "2,000 person hours"

This writeup was very informative.

Surprised to see that Xrd characters take almost as much time to make as Blazblue HD sprites.

Arc System Works did a good GDC not too long ago.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 25, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Ahem, it's "person hours" around here bub

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

mango sentinel posted:

I like stuff like this when it's a legit attempt to do something new and different because you want something new. I hate it when it's infomertial style "Fighting game finger puzzles are just too hard. There's got to be a better way!"

I think finger puzzles are fun and fighting games would be less fun without them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
doing ragna's super in blazblue is a really satisfying motion. right, swish it back 180, clack it back over to the right

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

IronicDongz posted:

doing ragna's super in blazblue is a really satisfying motion. right, swish it back 180, clack it back over to the right

I personally enjoy hitting Geese's pretzel

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
I'd be okay either way, but I have tremors in my hands and a specific mental disability that makes video games harder, which makes it hard for me to do "finger puzzles" so I kind of prefer when games don't have them to an extreme extent. Like, I'm okay with complex movement schemes like Rivals of Aether or Oratorio Tangram but I am literally incapable of doing frame-perfect combos reliably. I liked Rising Thunder in the sense that I love fighting robots and I thought that implementing move cooldowns while scrapping more complex inputs was a cool way of handling the issue, but I hated that it was literally SF4 otherwise (cough FADC Kinetic Advance). Only thing worse they could've done was make it vanilla MvC3 with simplified controls. Oh well, I hope Sirlin hopes hanging out with Riot I guess.

I do think that's kind of patronizing as a selling point though, which is why it's kind of a red flag for me. Like, I don't mind having simplified controls but "hey hey, this game's better because you don't have to be pro!!!!!" comes off as "we know you're a moron so here, have a moron's game". Not to mention, execution is a big part of the genre's depth anyway unless you take big strides in a different direction, so it kind of dumbs down fighters a bit too much to go by-the-books SF2 style.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was playing Garou with a friend the other day and when he told me raging storm was no longer a pretzel motion I said "No wonder no one likes this loving game"

BlueKingBar
Jan 25, 2016

Hey guys let's just literally never talk to me again maybe that'll fix things
I don't like pretzels irl but that's probably my favorite fighting game motion.

Whoever invented 720's can go die in a fire though. I can barely do 360's personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Im very mad that Pangoro isnt in Pokken. Like what the gently caress Namco.

• Locked thread