Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Phayray posted:

Not necessarily directed at you, but I see this build takes EE - has anyone shown that this is actually a good idea? It seems OK when you think about applying EE with Ball Lightning, but in my experience I've found non-EE damage to be higher because the spectres cast way faster than I do, and there's 5 of them. They're only doing fire damage, so it's 100% on my Ball Lightning applying EE, which for most packs only goes through once, if my minions don't kill it first. Even if I apply EE once, if it takes more than 1 hit to kill the thing, then all of the subsequent shots by my spectres do reduced damage.

then I'd say you're either insane or not reading it right because EE doesn't trigger off minion/totem hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004

Mortimer posted:

not reading it right

Oh got it, thanks! Maybe it's hard to see the difference because everything already dies so fast

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Man, I'm finding myself tempted to do a dual Clayshaper Golemancer. Just run around with three golems smashing poo poo up for me while I chill in the back.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Mortimer posted:

then I'd say you're either insane or not reading it right because EE doesn't trigger off minion/totem hits
EE does trigger off totems.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I just got my physical damage-Cast on Crit Cycloner to merciless, and I'm not really sure what the best skill setup would be. Playing as a trickster shadow, and I have a decent 5link and a Vagan dagger. Usually I used Cyclone - Power Charge on Crit - Cast on Critical - Blade Vortex - Bladefall.

I tried switching either Bladefall or Blade Vortex to Increased Criticals or Faster Attacks, but it's pretty hard to judge your DPS based on clear speed. The tooltip obviously doesn't have a clue either. Which setup would you people recommend? Bladefall would probably give better AoE but less sustained DPS on a longer fight than Vortex, right? Should I just use both? I thought of adding EK there somewhere too, but then I'd have to switch power charges out and that's no good. Playing on HC here.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Drop PCoC from your main link and use a link of PCoC + Blade Vortex + Increased Duration(or curse on hit + curse). Manually cast this Vortex once every 10-15 seconds or so and it will keep you full power charges.

Your links should look like CoC, Cyclone, Bladefall, EK(or Blade Vortex), Increased Critical Strikes. 6th link should be Controlled Destruction for the huge damage mod.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 25, 2016

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lurksion posted:

EE does trigger off totems.

yeah that's actually true, I forgot that RF totems is a weird edge case where they aren't actually causing fire damage so they don't trigger EE

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Mortimer posted:

yeah that's actually true, I forgot that RF totems is a weird edge case where they aren't actually causing fire damage so they don't trigger EE

RF totem don't trigger EE because EE only triggers on a hit. RF totems cause a degen effect that never hits, hence no EE proc.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Pooncha posted:

Link Lightning Warp with Rapid Decay, Less Duration, and Faster Casting :smugbert:

That's very smart :golfclap:

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

Cinara posted:

Drop PCoC from your main link and use a link of PCoC + Blade Vortex + Increased Duration(or curse on hit + curse). Manually cast this Vortex once every 10-15 seconds or so and it will keep you full power charges.

Your links should look like CoC, Cyclone, Bladefall, EK(or Blade Vortex), Increased Critical Strikes. 6th link should be Controlled Destruction for the huge damage mod.

Tried your PCoC+separate vortex-method, and it seems less annoying to use than I previously thought - thanks! I had to slam blood magic to it though, since I have all of my mana reserved. Might get some % reservation reductions later which would sort that out as well.

In other news, Perandus closets full of those fireball-alchemists are bad times.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Budgie posted:

THERE'S ONLY ONE SPOT LEFT NOW GUYS. THUNDERDOME FOR ENTRY UNITL APRIL 2ND (if sky remembers to log in and purge)
do we need to do something to avoid being purged?

i am using liftingnerdbros fire totem build right now and its working well for my first real character i think. i want to make an earthquake guy so i checked out his version of that build. says its good for beginners but recommends 2 6-links! drat. not sure if i want to try that or his blade vortex build now.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Awesome! posted:

i am using liftingnerdbros fire totem build right now and its working well for my first real character i think. i want to make an earthquake guy so i checked out his version of that build. says its good for beginners but recommends 2 6-links! drat. not sure if i want to try that or his blade vortex build now.
Yes, read the guild message or whatever in game.

Earthquake is perfectly viable with 0 six links.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm replacing a ring & amulet and only "need" to get 7% cold resist between them. Are there any good uniques for a 2h Cyclone build for those slots? I was thinking that Essence Worm would let me squeeze another 25% aura. Otherwise, what else should I look for besides Life, Chaos%, WED%?

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
Does anyone have Tora at level 7+ in Perandus SC? I need a mastecraft removed.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Tykero posted:

RF totem don't trigger EE because EE only triggers on a hit. RF totems cause a degen effect that never hits, hence no EE proc.

If you're a chieftain, your totems do AoE damage based on their HP if they get hit. This damage triggers EE.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Grizlor posted:

If you're a chieftain, your totems do AoE damage based on their HP if they get hit. This damage triggers EE.

double edit: it was changed from doing fire damage to reflecting fire damage so it doesn't trigger EE

mbt fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 25, 2016

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.

Grizlor posted:

Legitimate thanks for this, I didn't realise and the information is important.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Awesome! posted:

If ANY of your links in a skill are purely for boosting damage then you don't need that link. All pure damage links give about the same returns for all skills, about 40-50% more multiplier on damage, meaning going from 6L to 5L to 4L weakens the skill pretty much exactly the same amount. An EXTREMELY small subset of builds need a 5L, and an even smaller subset of those particularly care about a 6L.

The only thing I can really think of that actually just doesn't work with a 4L or 5L is something like non-Discharge Cast on Crit. Like if you take a really old Spectral Throw CoC build where the links were Spectral Throw - GMP - Life Leech - Cast on Crit - Fireball - Arctic Breath. At that point you're not even getting a damage skill until your 5th link and the 6th link doubles your damage. You could make an argument for current Cyclone Discharge as well, requiring Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Life Leech - Increased Critical Strikes - Discharge - Blade Vortex, but honestly the build works fine without ICS or BV if somehow you can only afford a 4L Voll's chest but can afford a Voll's neck.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

You could make an argument for current Cyclone Discharge as well, requiring Cyclone - Cast on Crit - Life Leech - Increased Critical Strikes - Discharge - Blade Vortex, but honestly the build works fine without ICS or BV if somehow you can only afford a 4L Voll's chest but can afford a Voll's neck.

Just to make a note, your 6th link is almost always life leech, as it's mostly a quality of life link or allowing you to run curse immune maps easier. Blasphemy Warlord's Mark will carry you through T15 maps easily enough. Even then though, I have run curse immune T14s with no leech at all, the damage of CoC Discharge with Voll's is seriously stupid.

You are right about 5 and 6 links often being not as important as they are made to seem, besides builds like CoC where so many of your links are the support gems.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Mortimer posted:

double edit: it was changed from doing fire damage to reflecting fire damage so it doesn't trigger EE

I don't have a chieftain, but this would be easy enough to test considering EE has a spell effect.

If it doesn't trigger it anymore, EE is still not even that useful considering how quickly things die, except as a 1 pointer to make vaal lightning traps better vs. bosses or something.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
30c lesson - don't run Vinktar's Square as a melee range character (possible exception: "ranged" melee like earthquake/ground slam?) if you have poo poo internet or you will get orbital lasered to death while you lag.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 26, 2016

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
What's the best way to deal with ele reflect (in HC)? I'm doing an arc build with call of the bro ring, herald of ice, and wrath doing around 28k dmg with max charges. With the inquisitor passive of ignoring ele resists I've almost killed myself a few times with big jolts of reflect.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Grizlor posted:

If it doesn't trigger it anymore, EE is still not even that useful considering how quickly things die, except as a 1 pointer to make vaal lightning traps better vs. bosses or something.

Things die even faster when they have a lot less resistance to whatever element you're using. If you're doing primarily elemental damage and can use EE you should use EE. Doesn't matter the build.

thehandtruck posted:

What's the best way to deal with ele reflect (in HC)? I'm doing an arc build with call of the bro ring, herald of ice, and wrath doing around 28k dmg with max charges. With the inquisitor passive of ignoring ele resists I've almost killed myself a few times with big jolts of reflect.

Increase your max resists or leech lots of life and do it faster (vaal pact or a high lvl/quality leech gem).

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 26, 2016

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

bakka bakka posted:

Things die even faster when they have a lot less resistance to whatever element you're using. If you're doing primarily elemental damage and can use EE you should use EE. Doesn't matter the build.

Increase your max resists or leech lots of life and do it faster (vaal pact or a high lvl/quality leech gem).

drat, I'm using EB/MOM/Ghost reaver already. If I use a topaz will I only be defending against 50% of my damage because of call of bro ring?

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

You'll only resist the reflected lightning damage at the higher res but it's better than dying.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

thehandtruck posted:

Spell block, spell Dodge, resistances mitigate the best
Leech and Vaal pact is also a common method but VP is pretty far from Templar.

E: Maybe carry a quartz flask?

climboutonalimb fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 26, 2016

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

I see. Thanks for the info. Would you recommend saffell's frame or is there a better solution?

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone made a sparker this league that has survivability?

I'm not sure how to go about making one for hardcore... it seems scion with pierce and projectile speed/damage nodes but it doesn't seem like it could take a hit.

Scion Spark

TipsyMcStagger fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 26, 2016

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

Saffell's is fantastic! If you can free up your shield for that purpose it should help a ton. You also get the benefit of carrying around that sweet shield.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

thehandtruck posted:

I see. Thanks for the info. Would you recommend saffell's frame or is there a better solution?

Voltaxic is another option. I bought one on my sparker to be able to handle Atziri's reflect since all other options kind of sucked.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vaal pact best pact.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
so on my first playthrough I was hitting a brick wall in early merc running a TS/LA ranger and couldn't make any progress, then I got a 5L lioneye's glare and tabula rasa and now I am an unstoppable monster of death.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

So like... has anyone found any deals from Caidro that are actually good? Every single unique I have seen is worse value than selling coins for chaos and buying the unique on poe.trade. I just found kaom's heart from Caidro but for 9034 coins and the exchange rate being what it is, that's break even at best.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mince Pieface posted:

So like... has anyone found any deals from Caidro that are actually good? Every single unique I have seen is worse value than selling coins for chaos and buying the unique on poe.trade. I just found kaom's heart from Caidro but for 9034 coins and the exchange rate being what it is, that's break even at best.

tabulas for 150 or so coins are really common, it's floored the price of them. 90% of the time his currency deals are super good as well. 9k is also near max price for Kaom's I think? Pretty sure he can offer them and Shavronne's Wrappings for like 5k.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

One of the first Cadiro's I got was a Tabula for like 100 coins, but I've gotten a whole lot of nothing since then that wasn't just a leveling unique or something good but way overpriced.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Mince Pieface posted:

I picked up my TR I was talking about right before you post for 97pc. I've also grabbed 10 fuse for 27pc. there's some v. good deals and it seems like everything else is loving terrible, and you just spent your time waiting for cadrio to make a great deal for you. Or you get something like HH, and then just wait for the strange nerds to bid ex by the dozen.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I got a drillneck for 600, gave away on global 820. In return, I got a carcass jack for 3k. Since then, I've gotten 2 mortal hopes for 1k (sold for a little less than an ex), and a heretic's veil for 7.5k (sold for 2.5ex). That's the extent of my drop luck, which is funny, as I've mapped much less than previous leagues (I've been labbing, and zana shop lets you bootstrap straight to yellow maps).

Funnily, I managed to get earthquake duration on a scold's, now I want to make some kind of crazy CoMK earthquake build.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 26, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Two <150 Tabulas and a Call of the Brotherhood for ~3k which I flipped for an ex.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I found an average rolled Belly of the Beast for well below whatever the lowest price on poe.trade was at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5FKFxl2SA&t=19s

Hallelujah! (probably trash since the person decided to show it off in non-map aqueduct)

• Locked thread