Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

moveable shape posted:

Literally the fanciest cat I've ever seen, well done

runsamok posted:

My catte finally posed for a photo.

Those eyes.

David Meowie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

So dancing like the cat in your av is disorienting and sickening? That sucks man. :(

Yeah but usually in a really funny way, I am basically my own slapstick comedy sketch, ladders are a hoot. Maybe that is why I enjoy immersion ladders so much, ladders are a source of great comedy to me.
Changing a lightbulb is amazing and anything can happen

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Decrepus posted:

A 23 year old woman everybody.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

runsamok posted:

My catte finally posed for a photo.

This cat looks like it's telling me that diversifying my holdings in preparation for retirement isn't a loving joke.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Decrepus posted:

A 23 year old woman everybody.

she's got that benjamin button disease.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

peter gabriel posted:

Same here, the landing stuff, even just flying low is staggering. I can spend a night looking for interesting places. It's really something

please stop, your going to make me purchase one. I had a chance to play the DK2 over a weekend, and it really does completely change the ED experience. I spent so much time just looking through the corner windows of my ship, or landing and taking off and seeing everything in its real scale. This was long before Horizons so I can only image what it must be like driving on the surface of planets.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

ideate posted:

wait someone posted this already and I missed it right

That's amazingly inept.

I can understand Victor Frankenstein doing it, as it was his Thing. "I'll take Jessica Biel's body, put on Sandi's head, and BRING IT TO LIFE..."

But outright plagiarising content from a (bad) Hollywood movie to produce a promotional item that they know will be trotted out in endless company photos?

The mind boggles.

This is going to run and run...

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Here's a really poo poo photo of one of our cattes.

It's really loving smug about nesting on an xmas tree in a box.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's her on the standee
That's her in the cardboard
Losing my immersion
Trying to shop like a Biel
And I don't think that I can take it.

Oh no I've seen too much
I haven't seen enough
I thought that I heard goons laughing
I thought that I heard them sing
I think this joke will never end.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Xaerael posted:

Hmmmmmm, gotta disagree with you there Derek. Onboard audio is horrible and sounds like poo poo, and the only people I know that think it's fine are the ones who've never had or heard a decent modern dedicated card. Folks who visit my place flip like a switch and go home to buy a card after hearing my fairly low end card of choice. Onboard sounds tinny and thin, and does a disservice to anything you put through them.

This is some audiophile nonsense. On-board sound in 2016 is more than enough for the average listener. If anything I have had problems with sound cards because they are prone to electrical interference from sharing the PCIe bus with the GPU. This is coming from someone who has an external DAC and headphone amp. What does 'tinny' and 'thin' even mean?

orcinus posted:

gently caress sound cards, buy a decent DAC and use optical out from your onboard to hook it up.
Cheap dedicated external DAC is still better than a mid-end sound card (if there are any still out there) in most cases.

This. If you really want 'perfect' sound (it doesn't matter, you don't have golden ears). I can't tell the difference between my transparent audio set up and on-board sound. And if you somehow manage to pick out the tiniest differences in a sound test, then congrats because you'll never notice it when you aren't 100% concentrating on it.

People grossly overestimate what it takes to have a good sound set-up. Doubly so if it's for your computer and is for listening to mp3's and gaming.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Now this is almost certainly because the mobos cant drive the headphones and a mobo with an integrated amplifier would do the trick, but none of the ones I bought had one. But if you are paying extra for the feature you might as well just get a card.

That's strange because Audio-Technica headphones have really low impedance and are easy to drive. I haven't done the math recently, but I recall a typical motherboard (1.5-2 volt) being able to drive those sort of headphones to 90+db. I agree that motherboards don't have a high enough output voltage to drive some speciality headphones. For the average person with gaming speakers or Sennheisers they brought at an electronics store, you should be good to go.

1500 posted:

And as an electrical eng who have built and designed audio amps, ADC-DAC real time systems. I disagree.

Makes little difference keep flushing your money away.

They never learn.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Mechanism Eight posted:

Have you much experience with Elite yourself? If your host has the Horizons expansion see what you think of planetary landings and takeoffs. IMO It's a truly gamechanging experience going from zipping around a system, out of frameshift onto an actual, no-poo poo planet-sized object in VR. to the point where I dont play it on a monitor any more

I gave up after being repeatedly murdered for an hour by the babby newb tutorial NPC ship being behind me and lighting my rear end up no matter what I did. At one point I started laughing at the futility of it and my inevitable death.

But in a few days I'll get to play it in VR so who knows

eviljack
Feb 26, 2016

You're getting hungry

Goobs posted:

sound design doesn't matter in this thread, they're literally jangling and shaking things that they can find from around the office in a corner of a room and calling them weapon sound effects. i hear for the gatling gun they're just going to shake all of ben's redbull can tabs in a box. sad thing is if they donated those tabs they could make a wheelchair for someone.

Ben is just like all the other fat people who have no idea how to lose weight and rationalize that by drinking sugar-free Red Bull and skipping dinner is going to suddenly make them shed 100 lbs.

NEWS FLASH: EXERCISING, COUNTING CALORIES AND NOT STUFFING PROCESSED FOOD INTO YOUR FAT FACE IS THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
SORRY FOR THE WALL OF :words: GUYS

Sperglord posted:

To engage in some possible speculation, I want to focus on the statement of EightAce that the game has lost moral momentum. You say that the Reverse the Verse is treating the backers with disdain, I view it differently. I see RtV as running on fumes. The pictures show a broken crew, the stories are about anything but the game, not in a confident, or arrogant manner, but in a manner of people who have nothing left to give.

Well, I do think there's been some outright disdain but putting that aside...

You describe them as "having nothing left to give". I can see what you mean-- they're just mouthpieces and they're not allowed to talk about stuff that would get people excited because Chris husbands the big reveals to himself. He loves his big Steve Jobs moments-- he's the Wizard and he gets the show the pyrotechnics because it's his baby.

But aside from that-- I'm just talking basic profrssionalism. Ben falls asleep when Sean comes on with actual development discussions and tells endless Wing Commander stories, sometimes for 10+ minutes (while backer questions just fly by by the hundreds and get ignored). Sandi brags about BS or stuffs timtams in her mouth for twenty minutes. Justin doesn't know anything about anything sci-fi or gaming related and is happy to show that every week. Lando chooses questions he can't answer just so he can repeatedly say "I can't answer 'when' questions guys!" Ben tells people VR is no big deal and they'll do it at the end -- as if he knows what he's talking about. Alexis sits and looks miserable then eventually chimes in with an update about patches, dog tags or mousepads (which is at least semi-relevant).

Nobody prepares anything, everybody flies wild and wastes viewers time every time. It doesn't have to be that way even if you don't have much to reveal. It starts with treating their audience with a measure of respect. Given how huge CIG is, and that the weekly shows are one way to keep backer confidence high, they could really be doing this so much better.

To be honest, I think Sandi has (for reasons unknown but maybe partly related to noise we've helped make) gotten the message. EightAce said AtV has greatly changed based on feedback. It used to be high on stupid or indulgent stuff (empire reports, skits, Sandi flight school, etc.) Nowadays it more informative (if still crazy awkward) and less goofy.

I still think Ben and Sandi should replace themselves as company faces but oh well- first do no harm...

quote:

What if CIG planned to show a SQ42 trailer today and, because of EightAce, that got replaced with a couple of sketch drawings of an Aegis fighter. The RtV team has to go online for an hour and BS with absolutely nothing to show and nothing to share. Ben, who was fanboy number 1, sits there with nothing to say. To me, that would be the most demoralizing task ever. Your baby, the project you cared about for four years, is totally screwed and you have to go pretend that everything is ok.

I can definitely believe they pulled something today. THAT seems very possible. But if they were going to drop an SQ42 trailer, they SURELY would've had Chris announce it.

We haven't yet had a proper trailer but I'm certain Chris (or Erin) will at least have a pre-recorded kickoff video before that. And I wouldn't be surprised if they keep those in reserve awhile because what they really need right now is big ship sales that work.

quote:

The collapse in employee moral is evident in their faces. That moral collapse must be mirrored in an financial collapse. Ben is in Santa Monaco, he is in part responsible for ship pricing, he would see the arguments that go into ship pricing. When ships have their prices arbitrary increased by $100 increments, when Missing Seat has an unexplained $20 price increment, you're right to suspect panicked decisions in the head office. It would be interesting to know why those ships had their prices increased. Where they big sellers? Did they have a large number of players sitting with CCUs? Or, is CIG going to increase the price of any ship upgraded in the game. Yet this is beside the point.

I think some of these points might have merit. But employee morale issues can be lousy even if they've a mountain of cash. And I doubt the community team is privvy to balance sheet details-- guys like Ortwin would surely keep those numbers far away from nearly everybody in the org-- ESPECIALLY knowing guys like Derek could get a tipoff if a frustrated lower level employee wanted to cause chaos.

But yes, the last minute price increases ARE very curious. I am not one to assume a pending financial collapse-- that's just too hard to believe given how they're spending their money. We don't see signs of husbanding cash (big layoffs, reduced offices, etc.) we just see signs of them trying to prime the pump yet not getting the cash engine firing up. That suggests mild concern not panic.

quote:

Let's return to the Vanduul Blade sale. That sale netted CIG less than a million dollars. If a Vanduul ship cannot convincingly break a million, what can? An AEGIS ship? (Let's realize the importance of CIG breaking out AEGIS fighters as the next concept. They are going for broke here.) For the past week, I have been reiterating that the Vanduul Blade sale is a catastrophe. It is not a catastrophe for the income, though that is bad enough, it is a catastrophe because it shows that CIG cannot generate sales using past practices (limited edition Vanduul ships / AEGIS ships / Chinese Alien Race ships). If the Vanduul Blade cannot make a million, then there is nothing in the CIG inventory which can convincingly make money. I see that collapse in RtV. CIG has played it's best income hand and that has come away empty. There's nothing left for them to do but fight for whatever income is left before they fail.

It's a provocative data point to be sure. We need more of them before we call a major trend. We have imperfect and in some ways contradictory data. A meteorite doesn't mean the sky is falling.

A real test of the State of the Nation would come if they had a truly sweet Big rear end Ship Sale-- like maybe the Corvette for $700, with a cap on sales at 2000. Could they move $1.4 million worth in a day? A few hours? Or would they end up with leftovers after a few days?

That would be a real test. Obviously, I'm throwing out random numbers but we need to see what a sale crafted for the Million Mile High Club contingent would look like. And the truth is-- even with their recent stumbles-- there still might be some oil in the whales if they drill the right ones in the right holes with the right tool...

quote:

Given what we see here, given the changing behavior of EightAce, I think the pessimistic take is optimistic. I'm thinking more like two months, at the most. I took this to mean, large Star Citizen backers are getting angry with the game. CIG is terrified that these people band together to sue. They have sufficient money thrown into the CIG cocaine pit that they would be willing to take the cost of a lawyer in a lawsuit. The logic is that someone who loses a thousand won't have sufficient losses to make a legal action worthwhile. Someone who loses twenty thousand might.

I can't make this big a leap yet-- even if Derek says its a safe bet, a fait accompli, a done deal, "IT'S OVER. THEYRE hosed. THE END." Erin's interview did not convey panic. If they had two months cash we'd see bodies dropping everywhere and Glassdoor, Derek Smart, online forums including this one would become the release valve for a lot of anonymous rage and gossip. And some of that would FINALLY get another gaming rag to get off their asses, pull out the axes, and start swinging.

Put simply:

1) CIG Management is not behaving in a manner consistent with a company with existential cash fears. The recent sale may have humbled them but there is no panic in the air, just subtle signs of course correction.

2) Before cash nears dangerous lows, CIG wil start jettisoning human and other cargo wholesale. It will not be quiet or subtle. We will know.

3) If disruptive terminations / layoffs occur, we'll see telltale signs in multiple places and some beyond Derek may hear them through personal grapevines.

4) The gaming press will strike if the prior occurs. They don't need salacious dirt-- some already have it. The flood gates will open and facts we were bored about 9 months ago will be presented as breaking news. And the vultures will swirl and feast and spergs will let out howls of shock and rage and this thing will feed a small nation with fallout stories and after actions and we will finally HAVE A CONVERSATION ABOUT CROWDFUNDING and "THE SURPRISING PARALLELS WITH ION STORM!" (And I promise you, a very relieved Romero will get a LOT of chances for React Quotes. Boy will he be happy to pass his heavy crown on to Chris Roberts, too!)

quote:

As for why Erin is in Santa Monaco, perhaps he is there to coordinate another restructuring of SQ42 to the new projected cashflow. If CIG is going to make < $2 million a month, plans for SQ42 have to be downsized again. He would be at corporate headquarters organizing that.

See above... And have faith!

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

eviljack posted:

Ben is just like all the other fat people who have no idea how to lose weight and rationalize that by drinking sugar-free Red Bull and skipping dinner is going to suddenly make them shed 100 lbs.

NEWS FLASH: EXERCISING, COUNTING CALORIES AND NOT STUFFING PROCESSED FOOD INTO YOUR FAT FACE IS THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL LOSE WEIGHT

this. i gain weight during the winter and cut during the summer, have been for the past 5 years. even when I was in the army. we didn't do a lot of running as combat engineers.....just a lot of carrying heavy poo poo long distances. i'm a pro at it by now. ice baths before bed help too, hated it at first but you grow to love them.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Haskell9 posted:

I gave up after being repeatedly murdered for an hour by the babby newb tutorial NPC ship being behind me and lighting my rear end up no matter what I did. At one point I started laughing at the futility of it and my inevitable death.

But in a few days I'll get to play it in VR so who knows

Two likely culprits: a) you were trying to yaw rather than roll+pitch — ships in Elite have horrible yaw rate to encourage more dynamic turning fights; b) wrong speed — there is an optimal speed that is marked on your thrust/speedometer that gives you maximum agility. Flying too slow or too fast makes your ship sluggish.

Additional complications: not using your up/down thrusters to tighten up your turning circle as you pitch into the enemy (this gives him a harder target and you an easier one), and not reading the lock-on markings correctly so that you turn around his yaw axis (giving him the pitch-vs-yaw problem to deal with).

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ideate posted:

It's from the movie "Stealth"

remember that thing? hahahaha

some guy on reddit actually pointed it out here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bz07j/thank_you_cig_for_an_amazing_tour_best_space_sim/d1dnu40

good work commando

Derek, give that commando a bonus. It is well-deserved.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

i cant hear anything over like 12k hz anymore so you'll need to speak up

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Dusty Lens posted:

I ate about a pound of chorizo for breakfast.

While I can't talk about it, I promise something big is about to go down in the next 48 hours.

I will be updating my blog as the story emerges.

Oh hell, that drat near sent soda all over my monitor. You have a way with words that few could match.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

Tippis posted:

Two likely culprits: a) you were trying to yaw rather than roll+pitch — ships in Elite have horrible yaw rate to encourage more dynamic turning fights; b) wrong speed — there is an optimal speed that is marked on your thrust/speedometer that gives you maximum agility. Flying too slow or too fast makes your ship sluggish.

Additional complications: not using your up/down thrusters to tighten up your turning circle as you pitch into the enemy (this gives him a harder target and you an easier one), and not reading the lock-on markings correctly so that you turn around his yaw axis (giving him the pitch-vs-yaw problem to deal with).

I turned off the flight assist option and suddenly I can move my ship in non-retarded directions

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

not sure im happy with the fact that perusing this thread and playing rail nation at the same time has been my mainstay for the past week or so now. usually I play games but i'm so bored with everything out there right now. so many good games coming out this year though.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

A Good PostTM

Pratt2112
Mar 25, 2016

Indeeeeeeeeeed...

That is beautiful.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
So when I saw this...

...I straight away began padding my resume and portfolio...

I'm a shoe-in for the job!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

:lol: when did they start doing this?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

phosdex posted:

i cant hear anything over like 12k hz anymore so you'll need to speak up

Well you are not the only one. Tested it a few years ago, man that was depressing. I knew a couple of people that worked in mines and they had a complete loss of the 10khz frequency but had no problem hearing above or below that. Its really amazing how you can screw up and damage your hearing.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4bz07j/thank_you_cig_for_an_amazing_tour_best_space_sim/d1dqnkj

:downs:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mendrian posted:

Hilariously if you look at the pelvis area somebody clearly made the cardboard standee slightly thinner than the original model.

Which means somebody not only photoshopped the image but judged that Jessica Biel is too zaftig accurately represent Sandi.

I was about to chime in on that. That edit also makes her chest that much larger, like Sandi's got bazooms.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

His happy pressure is too high from eating too many cheeseburgers and pizzas. He takes medication to lower his happy levels.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

OK we've watched about a billion man hours of films on this forum, what is Chris's uniform stolen from, because if they did that for Sandi no way did they create his from scratch

They could have used the real thing

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Young Freud posted:

I was about to chime in on that. That edit also makes her chest that much larger, like Sandi's got bazooms.

I feel like they're trying to make Sandi some like, sex figure for the whole SC universe but the problem is she looks like shes 3/4 way through her tour of Auschwitz in 1944.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

G0RF posted:

1) CIG Management is not behaving in a manner consistent with a company with existential cash fears. The recent sale may have humbled them but there is no panic in the air, just subtle signs of course correction.

2) Before cash nears dangerous lows, CIG wil start jettisoning human and other cargo wholesale. It will not be quiet or subtle. We will know.

One thing I would say about your analysis is that these two things would likely happen well after CIG is in dangerous cash levels. Companies with management as haphazard and incompetent as CIG will try operating well beyond the point where they are insolvent. The first real rumblings will be increasing rumours of employees not being paid for lengthy periods of time.

The sales towards the end of last year have given CIG some more fuel for the boilers for sure, but I'd say (as has been suggested before) that they're using backer funds as security against loans/credit arrangements which will allow them to operate longer. As to the wisdom of such a move, it's consistent with every other business decision CIG have made in the last 2-3 years.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Do you think the peons that have to summarize this thread to cig tell Sandi what we say about her?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Goobs posted:

I feel like they're trying to make Sandi some like, sex figure for the whole SC universe but the problem is she looks like shes 3/4 way through her tour of Auschwitz in 1944.

Well, the only alternative left after Sandi's rampages is Alexis Lesnick.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

lmao

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

jaegerx posted:

Do you think the peons that have to summarize this thread to cig tell Sandi what we say about her?

I think even the CIG peons are smart enough to know when it's time to “accidentally overlook” something due to the abysmal signal-to-noise ratio of the thread.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Xaerael posted:

Well, the only alternative left after Sandi's rampages is Alexis Lesnick.

*insert funny call sign name here*

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dusty Lens posted:

That's her, in the glamour shot from 2004.
Dying here. Dying.

This has been an amazing week and drat I can't stop :lol:ling.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Dusty Lens posted:

Ask your physicist/not dumb friends to explain that one from a realism standpoint.

They haven't figured out a technology/aesthetic standard. It's all over the loving place and based on Wing Commander science where everyone goes quiet on spaceships (even the bulldozer driver) while the enemy tries to find you with depth charges.

Can one of you guys have the spinning things stop a few frames, jitter backwards, then start going the normal spinning way again? I think I figured out why they scrapped the spinning animations on the ships guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Goobs posted:

*insert funny call sign name here*

Resisting... so hard... Being.... good.... ARGH

Wideload89

gently caress. I'm going to hell.

• Locked thread