Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

I have to close and re-open the app once or twice a day as the player gets stuck, but it's really good about picking up where you left off. I have nothing but trouble with that on the native Podcast app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I enjoyed the first episode of The Mysterious Secrets Of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium. Anybody here subscribe to Howl? Is it worth it? I haven't really checked it out so I don't know how it works.

Start a free trial, listen to all the Superego: Forgotten Classics and bail.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
And now all of the Superego archives, if you haven't heard them before.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Do you have to use the howl.fm app to access Howl stuff, or is there an option to just use a password to access the feeds from a regular podcast app?

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Not officially, but as far as I know the unofficial ones this guy put together still work:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Earwolf/comments/408x5z/unofficial_howl_premium_rss_feeds/
Since you can still download everything from the source of the howl.fm page in exactly the same way as you could when it launched, I assume this guy's method hasn't been broken either.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I really really wish every lovely new MBA in the universe would stop trying to force a subscription model down everyone's throats, I just despise monthly payments more than anything. I'd love to use howl and would likely pay a lot for a one time fee to get access to everything, just don't ever want recurring billing on anything ever.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
In fairness, flat fees pose a bunch of problems to businesses as well. If everyone had purchased Siris' Satellite Radio lifetime subscription, for example ($500 at launch I remember, a BIG if) they would have been out of business sooner rather than later as eventually the revenue stream would evaporate. For Howl, even if everyone paid a $100 upfront fee (which very few people would do), it'd be a losing business model in a matter of a year, being generous. Businesses need to continually generate revenue. I don't like multiple monthly payments any more than anyone else, but flat fees for new content providers are a losing business model. Advertisers & sponsors are why broadcast TV networks are still around.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I think people know why the subscription model obviously works better for the business, but the difference is Sirius has been constantly generating content since it began. Howl has barely produced anything in over half a year of existing, and only now seems to be making a second push to create new content. Given that, it's not unreasonable to see why people would have rather paid once, and why people who have kept their monthly plans could feel ripped off.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I kinda feel like the 'netflix for podcasts' thing they're going for just doesn't really work at all (and I think the phrase netflix for podcasts probably makes most peoples eyes roll out of their skulls when they hear it)

I would've pretty happily paid for video versions of Earwolf's bigger podcasts (+ Hollywood Handbook) but I guess it would take a lot of work/money to edit and host the videos. Or even just the ability to remove the ads would be nice since you get like 9 minute long ad breaks now on CBB (To be honest Scott's ad reads aren't even funny so I don't know who is sitting through them/how they've been making money from that)

Jeff Ullrich please beat up Sachs in the Wolf Den + launch Werewolf Premium or some poo poo to give me videos + ad free podcasts for like $10 a month. I've listened to a billion hours of podcasts and never bought anything from a podcast ad

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Practical Demon posted:

I think people know why the subscription model obviously works better for the business, but the difference is Sirius has been constantly generating content since it began. Howl has barely produced anything in over half a year of existing, and only now seems to be making a second push to create new content. Given that, it's not unreasonable to see why people would have rather paid once, and why people who have kept their monthly plans could feel ripped off.

I completely agree. My point wasn't that Howl is/isn't a good business, rather that paying a flat fee for content isn't viable. The previous poster wanted to pay a single fee for unlimited service, which is completely unsustainable for a business. Howl being pretty lovely doesn't change the fact that they would never be able to survive on a pay-once subscription model.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I don't know that ad free podcasts are enough to get me to switch to a subscription model when I can still listen to the shows with ads, and the ads are typically non offensive. Paul Scheer does annoying ads, Scott does decent to good ads, and HH does hilarious ads. I think the only way I'm going to start paying is if I can't get the shows any other way, and that's a huge gamble for them to take.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The problem with having no ads is that it's too easy to skip ads in the first place. Why would I pay 10 bucks a month to skips ads when I'm already doing that? Extra shows I'll pay extra for, or some kind of very useful feature I'd pay extra for (I already pay 10 bucks a month for Google Music just to listen to a huge library of music whenever wherever I want), but 10 bucks for no ads is a real stupid proposition.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
isn't the answer to this usually to put episodes and not shows behind a paywall? MaxFun has a bunch of bonus content behind a paywall, and sites like Giant Bomb will have premium streams and VODs and podcasts that build on their basic podcast. Like if you just put all of CBB's Thursday shows and live shows behind a paywall I feel like you'd have a ton of people signing up

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah you're probably right. I've heard 'preview episodes' of 2 Howl shows and while they were good, I wasn't about to sign up based on the strength of 1 episode, and since I can't listen to any more eps I'm not going to be invested enough to take the gamble either. No-ads is really not worth it when my podcast app on my phone can skip them in about 1 second.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Putting up videos again I think would be a great way to generate interest for Howl; watching Andy Daly juggle all of his characters or Brendon Small do Victor & Tiny would be amazing.

piratepilates posted:

The problem with having no ads is that it's too easy to skip ads in the first place. Why would I pay 10 bucks a month to skips ads when I'm already doing that? Extra shows I'll pay extra for, or some kind of very useful feature I'd pay extra for (I already pay 10 bucks a month for Google Music just to listen to a huge library of music whenever wherever I want), but 10 bucks for no ads is a real stupid proposition.

Yeah the whole no-ads thing was very dumb and especially with shows like Spont, HH & CBB I actually enjoy listening to them. They're a minor annoyance at worst and I felt bad when Scott was (probably) forced to talk it up as a huge selling point when Howl was announced.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I'm wondering if Howl was a Scripps idea or if it was an Earwolf idea.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

abraham linksys posted:

isn't the answer to this usually to put episodes and not shows behind a paywall? MaxFun has a bunch of bonus content behind a paywall, and sites like Giant Bomb will have premium streams and VODs and podcasts that build on their basic podcast. Like if you just put all of CBB's Thursday shows and live shows behind a paywall I feel like you'd have a ton of people signing up

Doesn't MaxFun also hold donation drives? It's very NPR style, they probably aren't making (or hoping to make) what ear wolf is.

I think having an option for people like me who hate ads and want a way to donate while also receiving bonuses is great. Also they should really advertise and put more focus on all the included comedy albums and other content. My only problem right now is the lack of fully ad free content, they should also do stuff like other subscription services do (marvel unlimited etc.) and send out a little package of goodies about once a year. Also I dislike the app, they need to add a queue and other useful features, they should partner with a company like beyond pod.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I'm wondering if Howl was a Scripps idea or if it was an Earwolf idea.

Earwolf. When Scripps came on board they attempted to get them to move the launch date of Howl up. So they would have been even less prepared than the joke we got.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I'm a good month and a half late but the Chris Gethard ep of Hollywood handbook is a+

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

Doesn't MaxFun also hold donation drives? It's very NPR style, they probably aren't making (or hoping to make) what ear wolf is.

I think having an option for people like me who hate ads and want a way to donate while also receiving bonuses is great. Also they should really advertise and put more focus on all the included comedy albums and other content. My only problem right now is the lack of fully ad free content, they should also do stuff like other subscription services do (marvel unlimited etc.) and send out a little package of goodies about once a year. Also I dislike the app, they need to add a queue and other useful features, they should partner with a company like beyond pod.

Yeah, their donation drive actually just ended today or yesterday. It's totally NPR-style -- you get little gifts based on your monthly donation level. $5 or more a month you get a shitload of bonus content. And that bonus content is from shows you already like which is where Howl seems pretty thin.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Maxfun also doesn't do three or four ad breaks per episode where they just straight up read copy which makes me more inclined to support them as compared to earwolf.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Maxfun also doesn't do three or four ad breaks per episode where they just straight up read copy which makes me more inclined to support them as compared to earwolf.

I only really listen to Flop House and MBMBAM, but yeah the ads on those are all dumped into one section of the show and usually wind up being hilarious rather than tedious. Also when they're doing the pledge drive they seem to drop all the other ads so you're not getting a double whammy.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Help Im Alive posted:

I kinda feel like the 'netflix for podcasts' thing they're going for just doesn't really work at all (and I think the phrase netflix for podcasts probably makes most peoples eyes roll out of their skulls when they hear it)

Them trying to sell it as "Netflix for podcasts" was eye rolling, but the dumbest part is if you really break it down they're not even that!

Beyond the obvious that films are a lot different in consumption habits than podcasts are, to be the Netflix for podcasts presumes that we're all paying for podcasts and just want a flat monthly fee to get all those podcasts in one place. Except a program like iTunes already does that and we just have to hit subscribe. No need to re-hash the fact that Howl launched half-baked as well.

I agree with the above comments of the idea that you simply paywall some stuff like the Thursday episodes and continue to make us care about paying money while keeping say, the monday CBB's free.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
I also don't have that much time in my week so no matter how many new podcasts they throw at me I don't know when I'll be able to listen to them.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
The problem with the Netflix comparison is that Netflix shows cost millions to make, the difference between what it offers and what a youtuber can offer is huge, Earwolf doesn't exactly cost that much to run and the basic difference between one west coast comedy podcast and another is miniscule.

I think that Uncle Bertie is a step in the right direction, because it has higher production values compared to basically anything else Earwolf puts out.

But Uncle Bertie's Botanarium had almost as long a preproduction as Fury Road, I'm joking but that thing was on New Zealand kickstater in 2012. They were even going to make a movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soexbmAgkwU

So Uncle Bertie's is a bit of a fluke, a practically ready made high production narrative podcast waiting for additional funding. I don't know how Howl will be able to sustain the level of quality.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Amazing work on the trucker script reading between Joe Wengert and Neil Campbell in this episode. Cunny! Cunny! Cunny!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Okay, this has been bothering me since the new plug bag theme's inception: what does Horatio sing between "Gotta get my info out" and "Talk about, talk about it!" ?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I think he says gonna get my jobs on and then cuts himself off

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
its something like "Gotta get my jobs all talked about" and then "talk about, talk about my jobs"

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Man, I love John Lennon. Drums

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Man, I love John Lennon. Drums

I like the fan theory that John Lennon is actually Ringo Starr

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I like the fan theory that John Lennon is actually Ringo Starr

Why would Ringo have Yoko Ono's beret? This theory doesn't check out!

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Like many characters, Mike probably set out to obviously be one thing (Ringo) but got sidetracked by Scott taking it to an unexpected avenue. Keeping the drums references and love of Ringo after the fact just makes it so much better

aka: The Andy Daly treatment

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't give that fan theory any credence. The main guy from The Beatles giving you basic facts about The Beatles is totally a Hanford joke, and drums is the most fun instrument to say.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't give that fan theory any credence. The main guy from The Beatles giving you basic facts about The Beatles is totally a Hanford joke, and drums is the most fun instrument to say.

I agree with you, I think it's just kinda funny

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I think it's kind of funny and I think it's kind of sad, but the times when ringo's lennon are the best I've ever had.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
Did y'all hear a crime go?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"Uncle Bertie's Bertorium or whatever the gently caress it's called"

Scott sounds really invested in Howl.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

I guess the thing where you can stream the live shows is cool at least, maybe I'll resubscribe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Always enjoy me some JW Stillwater. Cumerbatch County Flor'da!

Also legit cracked up at Matt Gourley's surprised "oh I love you too"

JethroMcB posted:

How is that show? The clip they played at the end of the last CBB sounded pretty...bad. I couldn't actualy hear what they were saying over all the sound effects...