Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Here is the full chart. Use it to create your opinions/feelings.

Unfortunately I cannot make an informed decision on which movies are good/bad with the information provided.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Guy A. Person posted:

One thing someone mentioned, maybe in this or the other thread, is how people seem to actually be legitimately choosing sides in the Batman v Superman debate. When I was walking to the theater with my wife we were wearing Superman shirts and some dude in a Batman shirt scoffed and said "typical" under his breath, which was hilarious. It was also hotly debated over Easter dinner who was better (Batman seemed to win out overall). I wish they had played it up even more in the advertising, honestly, because it is a fun way to get into the movie.

Sounds like you walked by some MRA shithead who thought your wife was some "nerd imposter".

https://twitter.com/therealcliffyb/status/708526086137708544

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

I'm sure it's going to be a success. I doubt it will have THAT huge a dropoff. At best it's the difference between a big success and a huge success.

I've said it before but I'm sure we're going to hear a lot about it once Civil War comes out because (tedious or not) it's the big competitor to BvS. If Civil War significantly outperforms BvS then you're going to hear a lot of commentary about that particular result and same vice-versa. I doubt either film will do poorly and mostly it's going to be more fodder for the tedious inter-company slapfights.

Civil War will absolutely make more money. That's not even in question. It will get 'better reviews' as well, as no-one will deride or praise it as passionately.

It's a Spiderman prequel on top of sequelizing like six other franchises. The one factor against it might be if Age Of Ultron's mediocrity has cooled enthusiasm for the Avengers franchise aspect, but even that's highly unlikely.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vintersorg posted:

Sounds like you walked by some MRA shithead who thought your wife was some "nerd imposter".

I don't follow this idiot but is he being serious?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Civil War will absolutely make more money. That's not even in question. It will get 'better reviews' as well, as no-one will deride or praise it as passionately.

It's a Spiderman prequel on top of sequelizing like six other franchises. The one factor against it might be if Age Of Ultron's mediocrity has cooled enthusiasm for the Avengers franchise aspect, but even that's highly unlikely.

since we're (finally, thank god) turning focus away from BvS for a second, speaking as someone who genuinely loved The Winter Soldier the way some people loved Fury Road, I'm very wary of the fact that Captain America 3 has morphed into Avengers 2.5

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

I wonder if he still has an account here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Quite possibly hahaha

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

since we're (finally, thank god) turning focus away from BvS for a second, speaking as someone who genuinely loved The Winter Soldier the way some people loved Fury Road, I'm very wary of the fact that Captain America 3 has morphed into Avengers 2.5

Same. I didn't enjoy Avengers all that much and AoU was a bloody mess. With BvS suffering from many of the same problems Deadpool is my favorite super hero movie this year. It was simple, but told the simple story well enough to let the characters shine.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Where does The Crow fit on that list?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

I don't follow this idiot but is he being serious?

Given his history, almost certainly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Given his history, almost certainly.

So what prompted it? Is he jealous that she's become very successful and he's still a douchebag on the internet?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Olivia Munn's been dealing with that kind of bullshit her entire career, because she started on a network that only covered video games and other related nerd poo poo(G4), and she was really good looking. So naturally it was assumed she actually doesn't like video games and was just in it for the money. What a terrible person she is, accepting a (probably low paying) position as a t.v. host as a way to get her foot in the door of show business. No principles.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Honestly being on that show had to be more degrading for her than anything.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Basebf555 posted:

Olivia Munn's been dealing with that kind of bullshit her entire career, because she started on a network that only covered video games and other related nerd poo poo(G4), and she was really good looking. So naturally it was assumed she actually doesn't like video games and was just in it for the money. What a terrible person she is, accepting a (probably low paying) position as a t.v. host as a way to get her foot in the door of show business. No principles.

Ah, so she's a """fake nerd girl""".

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

He hasn't deleted it so I am guessing he stands by it.

gently caress him and good for Olivia Munn - shes doing really well in her career and is even dating Aaron Rodgers from the Packers who's a giant loving dork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CICGnM8Z8Qc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yeah, that's my feeling too. Iron Man and Spider-Man are two of the most profitable IPs next to Batman and they're all being beerslammed together. It's going to make a ton of money regardless of its quality and you're going to hear a lot of 'see, that's proof BvS was bad" stuff.

Also lol at the idea that Olivia Munn doesn't actually enjoy nerdy stuff.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Well after that tweet cliffy went into more detail about how she treated people like poo poo on her way up so it was really more about that than her being a fake geek or whatever. For the record I don't follow cliffy or give a poo poo about him and I hear bad things about him too so take it however you will.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

He hasn't deleted it so I am guessing he stands by it.

gently caress him and good for Olivia Munn - shes doing really well in her career and is even dating Aaron Rodgers from the Packers who's a giant loving dork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CICGnM8Z8Qc

As a Chicagoan I loving hate how likeable that guy is even as he kicks our rear end twice a year ughhhhhh

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy
'Batman v Superman' Sets Record With Worst Friday-Sunday Drop For A Superhero Pic

"You couldn’t have emptied North American theaters where the movie screened faster if you’d yelled ‘fire’ in the middle of the auditoriums."

-Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#6bcf1c776d72

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Boob Marley posted:

Here is the full chart. Use it to create your opinions/feelings.

That chart cannot be right because Ghost Rider 2 was great. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Guy A. Person posted:

A guy on my Facebook said "why do they keep letting Zack Snyder make movies??"

Like, no they're not "letting" him they are paying him well to do it because he makes them money.

If anyone else ever asks that question again you tell them there's 2.065 billion reasons why they keep "letting" Zack Snyder direct films. Soon to be 2.5 billion reasons. :v:
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=zacksnyder.htm

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 28, 2016

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

MonsieurChoc posted:

That chart cannot be right because Ghost Rider 2 was great. :colbert:

I don't know about all that, but audiences definitely stuck with it longer than BvS during it's opening weekend.
Didn't make this chart but wish I had. Creamin' here...

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Boob Marley posted:

'Batman v Superman' Sets Record With Worst Friday-Sunday Drop For A Superhero Pic

"You couldn’t have emptied North American theaters where the movie screened faster if you’d yelled ‘fire’ in the middle of the auditoriums."

-Forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/03/28/batman-v-superman-sets-record-with-worst-friday-sunday-drop-for-superhero-pics/#6bcf1c776d72

:lol: What is this poo poo.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Vintersorg posted:

BvS

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dread Captain America 3. I really do. I really enjoyed Winter Soldier just because it was a fun, great movie. It was a good theater experience. The morality of it was as simple as ever, but that's fine. It had the bones of something great to it, and had the balls to call out SHIELD as something evil that needed to be destroyed. Sure they did that by having Super Nazis co-opt it, but whatever I'll take it.

The best of the Marvel movies are movies that, if you take away the Marvel Formula, you still have a good movie. In my opinion anyways. It's why I just cannot enjoy Guardians, which is Ultra Wink Wink Nod Nod We're In On The Joke Too Aren't We Wacky the entire way through never letting the serious moments be serious, where the story, stripped from the Marvel side of quipping and world building, is "A group of misfits come together under their jerk with a heart of gold leader" bog standard story.

Only with a mind numbing Star Wars Prequel esque CGI space ship battle thrown in to eat up time and patients.

It has nothing it really wants to SAY about the narrative, and is mostly a commentary on itself.

Winter Soldier, stripped from the Marvel Formula, is about Steve Rogers dealing with his Idealism VS the reality he lives in. It has a terrific cast of supporting characters and villains and the weakest thing in the movie is Bucky who is still pretty drat good.

Civil War is born from a God Awful comic book event, and is emulating the worst of the comic books it comes from. It has a hell of an uphill battle to fight as it is, and there are so many ways to just ruin what could be a great movie. I guess It'll also be our first look at how the Russos are going to handle the Avengers, which will be telling for a few reasons there.

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice

Vintersorg posted:

definitive proof that the movie is, in fact, bad!!!!!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

"Forbes.com uses a "contributor model" in which a wide network of "contributors" writes and publishes articles directly on the website.[25] Contributors are paid based on traffic to their Forbes.com pages; the site has received contributions from over 2,500 individuals, and some contributors have earned over US$100,000, according to the company.[25] Forbes currently allows advertisers to publish blog posts on its website alongside regular editorial content through a program called AdVoice, which accounts for more than 10 percent its digital revenue.[26]"

Not saying that article is a crock of poo poo, but I feel that should be mentioned whenever a forbes dot com link is posted.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Boob Marley posted:

Creamin' here...

Nice meltdown.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Boob Marley posted:

Creamin' here...

The reason I don't respect you isn't because you're taking this chart stuff too far, it's because you're not taking it far enough. Any hack can do a quick search of Metacritic, RT, and BoxOfficeMojo to understand the earning potential and critical of movies. That's the lazy way out. I want you to make these charts for characters. For themes. For cinematographic techniques. If you fall back on some coward's defense about how those aren't as possible to quantify, you can accept your participation trophy by mapping the values against something like average shot length

Make the shot length chart. Show me the Tomatometer effect of shots that are .2 seconds longer. Then, and only then, will you understand cinema

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

http://collider.com/batman-v-superman-box-office-record/

Collider reports it too.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Boob Marley posted:

I don't know about all that, but audiences definitely stuck with it longer than BvS during it's opening weekend.
Didn't make this chart but wish I had. Creamin' here...

Don't forget that the weekend drop for BvS was massively inflated because they rolled all of Thursday's $27.7m previews into Friday. It actually only got $54.31 on Friday so the Fri-Sun drop was actually only 31.56% which would drop it to the 14th spot on that chart, putting it within 2.3% of the Avenger's Fri-Sun drop.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Was she the one who Jezebel attacked for working on The Daily Show, because since she's attractive she has no talent and therefore was only hired because Jon Stewart's a misogynist?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving love that even when the movie does well people will take ANY pot shots at it to deem it a bad movie. Eat poo poo.

Boob Marley
Nov 1, 2011

Flesh for Fantasy

Jenny Angel posted:

The reason I don't respect you isn't because you're taking this chart stuff too far, it's because you're not taking it far enough. Any hack can do a quick search of Metacritic, RT, and BoxOfficeMojo to understand the earning potential and critical of movies. That's the lazy way out. I want you to make these charts for characters. For themes. For cinematographic techniques. If you fall back on some coward's defense about how those aren't as possible to quantify, you can accept your participation trophy by mapping the values against something like average shot length

Make the shot length chart. Show me the Tomatometer effect of shots that are .2 seconds longer. Then, and only then, will you understand cinema

Hell no, you do it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought it was typical to combine Thursday screenings with opening day with most movies.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
DC has the wrong type of RAM!!

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'm just really excited to see Paul Rudd goof around in his shrinking pajamas with other good actors for a couple hours

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Vintersorg posted:

I loving love that even when the movie does well people will take ANY pot shots at it to deem it a bad movie. Eat poo poo.

Lots of bad movies are successful.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Lots of bad movies are successful.

Okay??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hat Thoughts posted: