Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Gunder posted:

Theoretically, why would you want an octagonal gate in the first place? Arcade games?
I hadn't really used a stick much, and I think I thought that people rode the restrictor more on inputs. Now I know that's not true. It is really tough to DP or crouch block w/this thing.

edit: Thx for the input, everybody. I'm ordering a square gate from Focus Attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Gammatron 64 posted:

You're going to have a harder time playing on one. Seriously. DPs and charge characters are much, much easier with a square gate. If you are a charge character, you're going to want to hold down-back a lot and it's a lot harder when you have a slope instead of a corner. And circular gates? Forget about it.

You can technically play well with an octagonal if you wanted to, just like there are many great pad players out there (and if you play pad, you'd want a special Sega Saturn style fightpad as standard Playstation controllers are tough to use for fighters), but I'd say all you'd be doing is making things more difficult for no added benefit. And fighting games are already pretty hard, so you don't need to make things harder.

You can play on whatever you want and I'm not gonna judge you for it. If it works for you, it works for you. But in my personal experience, octagonal gates just make life harder for no reason.

I find them useful for 3d fighters, but they're awful for 2d ones.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Gunder posted:

Theoretically, why would you want an octagonal gate in the first place? Arcade games?

People who are new to sticks don't like being bad at doing stuff, so they often convince themselves that they can buy or mod their way out of having to spend time playing to get better; octagates and new springs and hitboxes and all manner of other dumb things end up finding their way in when people get impatient.

Basically true for any other hobby, I guess. If I just had this one golf club, *then* I'd be able to drive it 250 yards! ... Okay maybe I just need to use different balls, then I'll *really* nail it.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
golf clubs have been adding yards to any swing for 100 years now we should be able to hit a golfball across the atlantic

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Brosnan posted:

People who are new to sticks don't like being bad at doing stuff, so they often convince themselves that they can buy or mod their way out of having to spend time playing to get better; octagates and new springs and hitboxes and all manner of other dumb things end up finding their way in when people get impatient.

Basically true for any other hobby, I guess. If I just had this one golf club, *then* I'd be able to drive it 250 yards! ... Okay maybe I just need to use different balls, then I'll *really* nail it.

Honestly if you ask me, hitboxes seem way more awkward, unintuitive and harder to use than using an actual arcade stick.

Like, for me, a big part of what makes me like arcade sticks is the tactile sensation. Like, there's a sense of finesse that you don't get with a keyboard or a gamepad. It's almost like playing a musical instrument.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Brosnan posted:

I mean, if you're using a 9 iron when you're trying to do a drive then you probably do need that one golf club. My own experience is that I'm much better and more comfortable with my directional inputs as buttons than as stick directions because I learned Street Fighter playing Alpha 2 on a laptop. I /could/ learn to use a stick, but it wouldn't make me any better given my inputs aren't being limited by the fact that I'm using buttons instead of a joystick.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
hitboxes probably are objectively better than sticks on some level but it wont ever generate real backlash when a hitbox player wins a tournament because every hitbox user sucks rear end

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

clockwork brought a hitbox to ncr

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fozzy fosbourne posted:

clockwork brought a hitbox to ncr

he's a washed-up motherfucker

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Agoat posted:

Sorry for the late reply. We do weekly gatherings on Mondays and we run a bracket every month. I sent you a PM with a link to the Facebook group we use to organize!

Thanks! I'll join up and try to make it down there next Monday to check it out.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Cross posting my stick summary from the general fg thread:

mango sentinel posted:

Octogate bad, hitbox good. Stick to jlf and sanwas, it's not the stick, it's your execution. If you can't buy an hrap or TE just buy a pad since sticks under 150 are turds. OP done.
Generally though use whatever you like and feels good, so long as it's not something with a significant material disadvantage like octogates.

A player's skill ceiling between pads, sticks, and hitboxes is (generally) negligible and it's more about drilling down your execution on your controller of choice rather than "using x will make me a better player than using y."

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Being bad and watching your own replays is like a disgusting spring cleaning finding puke stains and dead animals. 10 game seconds into a match and I had a small list of important mistakes to hop in training and practice. Really freed my brain up and was relaxing to play more matches with some of those basics practiced as reactions though! Losing streak beaten, back in silver, woo.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I think the worst is SFV's YOU WIN/YOU LOSE font. It looks like ms-paint with rainbow gradient fill. Really really bad.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

I think the worst is SFV's YOU WIN/YOU LOSE font. It looks like ms-paint with rainbow gradient fill. Really really bad.

lmao

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

I think it's kinda charming :shobon:

What I hate is that voice that counts the number of wins in Vs. Mode. It doesn't really pertain to anything and just kind of sticks out in a really unsatisfactory fashion during tournaments, like "Yes, computer. The player-2 slot has won 13 times. It was a different person every other time."

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They should do the Persona 4 Arena/BlazBlue thing where you can get the characters to do the announcer voice overs

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Help Im Alive posted:

They should do the Persona 4 Arena/BlazBlue thing where you can get the characters to do the announcer voice overs

BoOOom!

I kind of want a Zangief announcer now, so he can bark out like poetic muscle philosophies every 30 seconds.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
King of the Hill lobbies are really dumb and belong in the last decade.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Give me a Poison announcer.

Then give me Poison.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

From the iLlUmInAtI DiScOrD, a bunch of translated articles from goziline:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ghFTWflPRB98BVKwdXbJ7jCQji96gmozJl6WYPbvEdU/edit

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

deadly_pudding posted:

I think it's kinda charming :shobon:

What I hate is that voice that counts the number of wins in Vs. Mode. It doesn't really pertain to anything and just kind of sticks out in a really unsatisfactory fashion during tournaments, like "Yes, computer. The player-2 slot has won 13 times. It was a different person every other time."

You can switch this voice off in options, you know.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Junk posted:

You can switch this voice off in options, you know.

Tell that to the people at WNF :colbert:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Honestly if you ask me, hitboxes seem way more awkward, unintuitive and harder to use than using an actual arcade stick.

Like, for me, a big part of what makes me like arcade sticks is the tactile sensation. Like, there's a sense of finesse that you don't get with a keyboard or a gamepad. It's almost like playing a musical instrument.

hitboxes are basically keyboards with nicer buttons, they're perfectly natural if you grew up with WASD. i would have definitely had an easier time learning hitbox over stick but they weren't a thing when I started so whatever.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

enojy posted:

Thanks! I'll join up and try to make it down there next Monday to check it out.

Woot!

Maybe this guy should get out here again sometime, huh?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

King of the Hill lobbies are really dumb and belong in the last decade.

Do any games have round robin lobbies or anything similar?

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

bhsman posted:

Someone should post the chart, but it basically has a higher chance of just eating your diagonal imputs when you go for DPs and stuff, or something like that.

it changes the amount of real estate each direction has vs a square restrictor

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I've seen various people say that people "just" need to get used to reacting to Infiltration's dashes and stuff them with a jab. Some back of the envelope math:
(dash + throw) - (total input lag + jab + time to visually id dash (x) + reaction time (y)) = 0

Inserting some numbers in there in terms of ms:
(282 + 83) - (120 + 50 + x + y) = 0
y = 195 - x

So, if you could instantly visually id* a dash you would have 195s to react and get your jab out .. at the same time as the throw active frames, which actually isn't good enough. So you really have 178.6ms minus whatever time it takes to visually id a dash from another neutral input.

I don't know how long it takes to visually distinguish a dash from a boom or a jump in or a shimmy or poke or whatever. It seems unlikely that the answer is anything less than 1f though ;). One thing that I think is interesting is last night on twitter Ricki was saying that she thinks Chun has a "hiccup" in her dash compared to Nash. I think Chun might have a visually front-loaded dash animation compared to Nash, but haven't actually taken a look. Theoretically, if you had a dash that just stood still or looked like walking for 16f and then moved forward for 1f, vs a dash that flashed distinctly on frame 1, the former dash would be much more difficult to react to because you can't distinguish it from other things you might need to react to like a boom, jump in, etc.

Anyways, it seems unlikely that you can punish his dash on reaction if your mental stack is loaded up with looking for booms, jump ins, shimmies, whiffs, etc. But maybe I'm missing something

*Supposedly our reaction times are worse from visual cues than sound cues

interesting breakdown of that. It becomes really practical too when you look at all of Nash's kit that makes people hesitant to push buttons when they are in range of his long moves, and that his backdash/throwing booms makes them move forward a lot. So the opponent is constantly moving forward a bit while having to block every so often to avoid walking too far up and eating a forward+hp or something and hten he dashes up and throws or does something else based on that setup, then if needed his trigger resets the entire situation completely twice a round. I just feel kind of like infiltration is playing a winning style in this game(hit and run, running away. Its absolutely strong here) and has a complete character, along with being an absolute god level player.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Real hurthling! posted:

Do any games have round robin lobbies or anything similar?

Xrd and Skullgirls have the best lobbies I've played so far.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

this one still amazes me, especially because it would take someone all of a few minutes to fix I would assume

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Agoat posted:

Woot!

Maybe this guy should get out here again sometime, huh?

I'VE HAD WORK GARBAGE also next time I want to be so drunk I can't drive anywhere

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Countblanc posted:

hitboxes are basically keyboards with nicer buttons, they're perfectly natural if you grew up with WASD. i would have definitely had an easier time learning hitbox over stick but they weren't a thing when I started so whatever.

Yeah, I know. I'm just never going to use one though because 1) I'm stuck in my ways and 2) it isn't the standard anyway and I play games on actual arcade cabs, too. In fact, they probably do have a slight edge over arcade sticks, but I like playing on arcade sticks. I think playing on a big keyboard would be well, less fun. I'm no where near good enough to make money off fighting games nor do I even have the time to train to be a top player, so I play these games because, well, I actually do find them fun. The absolute height of my fighting game ambition is to do well at a local level. Like, you probably shouldn't play a game if you aren't having fun unless you're one of the top 0.0001% who is good enough to get a sponsor and can pay the bills with it.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Can somebody explain how SG/Xrd/any non-king of the hill lobbies work

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

inthesto posted:

In Xrd you get a lobby of 8 people total, with 4 separate "cabs." Each cab is its own king of the hill lobby, though you can set yourself to a dedicated spectator instead of waiting for a turn to play. Once you're in the lobby you can move between cabs at will. The are probably other setting I don't know. It's pretty awesome.

I don't know how SG works.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

inthesto posted:

In Xrd you can have a room of as little as two or as many as eight slots. There are 4 "cabs" in every room which are simulated arcade cabs with slots for 2 players and then a line of up to 6 more players. You can get in line for an active cab or go and wait on another cab and hope someone will join you. In most room settings winner stays on while loser is automatically sent back to the end of the line.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/KikoMasterRD/status/714551030244048897

:crossarms:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Cool! Instead of one-sided rollback netcode, you can now simulate old-school one-sided delay-based netcode

This PS4 feature was always pretty cool though. I could see using it for a local-only turn-based game or something. Or playing Peggle online just by buying one copy of the game.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

ZenVulgarity posted:

I'VE HAD WORK GARBAGE also next time I want to be so drunk I can't drive anywhere

Oh, this is a good idea. I can get on board with this. If the roommate isn't gonna be at my apartment you could probably crash here but I'd have to find out ahead of time.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Is Winter Haven the closest fighting community near st.pete? I'm moving there soon and I'll have no friends. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Sounds like they just discovered share play.