Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Tollymain posted:

having more than 1 leper is definitely looking more and more like a mistake, even with a roster size of 28. i could have another plague doctor in that slot. less disease more cure :v:

might just mod my game to allow a slightly larger maximum roster, as is i can't even have 2 of each class. how much effect would that have on the game's balance?
Two Lepers on one team own, actually. They both hit for good damage (when they hit, which can be fixed with trinkets), and under fire they can take turns attacking and healing since they're self-sustaining.

It's not necessarily a great setup for bosses, but otherwise it can be pretty effective so long as you pair them with some folks who can hit the back row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i want to like the leper, really i do

but having one around is enough, i think

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Lepers blow in DD1 and DD3 but they're really really good in DD2 and in champion level dungeons in general

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Dual lepers own bones against the Necromancer, the X Pounder, and the Big Pig.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

It's a metaphor for passing up a shot at a free -quirk removal.

Without fail, I have always had it cause stress to someone when I use it normally, so now I just drench the things to at least get some benefit out of it. If I want negative quirk removal, I go to the cove or warrens.

Probe 17
Jul 27, 2014

Red Rain is coming down

Red Rain
You only need one Leper because Miron is fat enough to count as a full party of them.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Probe 17 posted:

You only need one Leper because Miron is fat enough to count as a full party of them.

I know you're lying, because Miron is never full.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who's miron

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Tollymain posted:

who's miron

someone had two Lepers show up on the Stagecoach both named Miron.

Hence lots of jokes about a fat Leper named Miron.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

miron is the inventor of Jet and if you have a high enough Science skill you can get him to invent a cure for jet addiction. Also he's a date rapist

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

miron is the inventor of Jet and if you have a high enough Science skill you can get him to invent a cure for jet addiction. Also he's a date rapist

that can't be the same miron because miron so fat his paunch runs over his dick

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

Pretty hosed up if you ask me

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Mirion is my backer-created original character and if you do no stop making fun of him i will petition Red Hook to change brigand gunners back to their early beta damage spread

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

paranoid randroid posted:

Mirion is my backer-created original character and if you do no stop making fun of him i will petition Red Hook to change brigand gunners back to their early beta damage spread

mirion so fat he absorbs blanket fire

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Miron so fat when the Hag puts him in the pot, next turn there's no more stew to taste

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Miron so fat, the Fasting Seal only takes him down to +500% food consumption.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
mirons so fat he couldnt run a joke into the ground

he couldnt run due to his fatness you see

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Afraid of Audio posted:

I got it. Good joke comrade.

Miron so fat you need to upgrade your stage coach to level six for him to arrive.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Miron so fat Wilbur marks targets for him

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Miron so fat he sank the drowned crew

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
He diet take up all six sanitarium cells

No, but seriously: Does it pay off to take an Antiquarian? It bums me out that it's so poor at anything but loot generation.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Afraid of Audio posted:

They stopped being funny long before the first round finished guys, all the good ones have been done already.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Wafflecopper posted:

They stopped being funny long before the first round finished guys, all the good ones have been done already.

Miron so fat he made you into just copper

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Tias posted:

No, but seriously: Does it pay off to take an Antiquarian? It bums me out that it's so poor at anything but loot generation.
If you can use Nervous Stab to kill a weak enemy, or their weak heal to save someone from death's door, do that. They're a reasonably speedy class so they can usually pull it off. If you have a riposte set up, use their forced guard to direct attacks at it. If you don't have a class that can riposte use the blight skill. If none of that is helpful spam the dodge buff. Avoid Get Down! and Flash Powder, which are garbage skills for garbage people. They're never going to be more effective in battle than taking a class that can actually contribute raw numbers, but sometimes generating loot IS a valuable role. Those shiny new weapons and skills ain't gonna pay for themselves!

Comedy answer: take one to fight the Siren and douse everyone with holy water except the antiquarian. Enemies just love targeting the guy with the lowest resistance, and if the scaly tart is gonna steal a party member anyway might as well give them the one with gently caress-all for damage output. :v:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tias posted:

He diet take up all six sanitarium cells

She feels like she comes into her own around midgame. Imagine whatever week you are breaking into Champion, lets call this midgame. She is really good at making the green (seeker level) runs profitable and maximising your bag space. If you have effectively mastered the low level stuff, then the Antiquarian can help you really fund your Veterans.

Also team "Ladysman" is hilarious. Arbellest-Vestal-Antiq-Highwayman. The antiqarian spams Get Down, has stab for finishing, dodge buff for when she is shuffled, and healing for DD. Highway does the dashing cycle, with the reliability of the Vestal and Arb this team is rock solid.

It doesnt stun or mitigate damage enough for Yellow runs, but thats not what the Antiquarian is for.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I like putting an antiquarian in the front of a party with the Highwayman in rank 2. It seems that Highwayman's riposte skill is far better than the MAA's, and when you combine his natural dodge with repeated applications of the Antiquarian's guard me skill, you end up with a surprisingly sturdy front row tank(+50% dodge is very attainable late game). The damage output from Dismas is pretty good, what with the multiple counters every turn, and the point blank shot every other turn. You just have to make sure that one of your back row characters has a destroy corpse skill to keep the front loaded with targets. Another nice thing is that it works in all light levels, and even against shuffle enemies.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The main problem with Antiquarian is that she doesn't scale. Her loot generation is naturally superior in Apprentice dungeons because they're easier and she gets the same results regardless. The chance of a Rare Antique doesn't go up with dungeon difficulty (it easily could be modded to, but it doesn't), you don't get more Minor Antiques in harder fights, so the sole reason to take an Antiquarian to a later dungeon is because she lets you stack more of the gold that you find, but you can find plenty in Apprentice/Veteran Longs. Her abilities become the sole reason to use her, and Protect Me! is the only one that's maybe a legitimately good skill.

Basically Antiquarians level themselves into obsolescence, which strikes me as weird. They're vastly more valuable the lower their level. I expected different tiers of antiques or something, since loot tables scale with difficulty, but the special Antiquarian one doesn't.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Nakar posted:

The main problem with Antiquarian is that she doesn't scale. Her loot generation is naturally superior in Apprentice dungeons because they're easier and she gets the same results regardless. The chance of a Rare Antique doesn't go up with dungeon difficulty (it easily could be modded to, but it doesn't), you don't get more Minor Antiques in harder fights, so the sole reason to take an Antiquarian to a later dungeon is because she lets you stack more of the gold that you find, but you can find plenty in Apprentice/Veteran Longs. Her abilities become the sole reason to use her, and Protect Me! is the only one that's maybe a legitimately good skill.

Basically Antiquarians level themselves into obsolescence, which strikes me as weird. They're vastly more valuable the lower their level. I expected different tiers of antiques or something, since loot tables scale with difficulty, but the special Antiquarian one doesn't.

The increased gold stack size does get more useful at higher levels, since you're accumulating more gold to begin with. But yeah, for a variety of reasons she's vastly more useful at apprentice than at champion.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well i guess by that point you can fire her and hire an actual fighter to take into the darkest dungeon

besides gold isn't so much of a constraint once you get to Champion

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I could actually see bringing an Antiquarian to DD1 or DD2. Protect Me! + Duelist's Advance would do well against the DD1 boss, and she can be the non-torch character and just pick someone to eat Revelation for her, so you wouldn't need to bring a MaA for the role. Also DD1 is lousy with bleeds and she has a cheap camp skill that buffs resistance to it, which could be good with a Leper using Bloody Shroud or somesuch.

Maybe not ideal, and I wouldn't bring her to DD3 due to a lack of stuns and DPS, but if I were speedrunning and happened to have an Antiquarian built up I think she could pull her weight.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Do Antiquarian trinket generation scale? What determines how good a trinket the skill generates?

Also, sometimes my characters start a quest with odd debuffs, such as a survived death's door mark or -4 to speed until end of quest. Where do these come from, and how do I get rid of them?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nakar posted:

I was afraid this would be the case. As it is there's really no reason to ever waste money on her weapons or more than a level of armor & skills, because she'll be negatively profitable if you try to use her long-term.

AnonSpore posted:

Miron so fat when the Hag puts him in the pot, next turn there's no more stew to taste

This is my favorite one in a while.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Tias posted:

Also, sometimes my characters start a quest with odd debuffs, such as a survived death's door mark or -4 to speed until end of quest. Where do these come from, and how do I get rid of them?
I think some of these are debuffs that are generated when doing abbey/tavern stress recovery. I don't think there's any way to remove them other than going on a dungeon run and eating the penalty though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Tias posted:

Do Antiquarian trinket generation scale? What determines how good a trinket the skill generates?
It's a special loot table called by the skill and it does not scale with her level or the dungeon type. It can generate anything up to Very Rare, but the odds of Rare/Very Rare are pretty low. The vast majority of the time it's a (Very) Common or Uncommon.

The best way to abuse that is probably to take 4 Antiquarians into a Long dungeon, camp twice, and leave with 8 trinkets.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Everything Miron related was worth it for this.

abardam posted:

you guys are mean :saddowns:

i get hungry when i'm stressed!

Could anyone avatar size this?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Everything Miron related was worth it for this.

Could anyone avatar size this?

Tias
May 25, 2008

FreeKillB posted:

I think some of these are debuffs that are generated when doing abbey/tavern stress recovery. I don't think there's any way to remove them other than going on a dungeon run and eating the penalty though.

oooh of course :doh: Thanks!

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

What started this mirion joke anyway? It feels like it just showed up in the thread one day.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It started with a screenshot.

Crasical posted:

Pictured: A really awkward carriage ride.

Also I can't decide if that's two identical Lepers named Miron or just one really fat leper that took up two seats on the coach.

Then Captain Invictus posted this.

Captain Invictus posted:

When miron sits around the cart, he sits AROUND the cart

After that people just ran with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I want to buy this game, but I'm a little concerned about some reviews of grindiness and a brutal RNG. I enjoy and have enjoyed games like Crawl, ToME, and other roguelikes with permadeath so the whimsical fuckery of an RNG doesn't bother me much, but if its constant and terrible that is kind of a downer.

Also, could my XPS 13 (2015) handle it?