Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Do people really injure themselves on the corners of regular card sleeves?

Can we define injury as saying "ouch" and then the pain goes away?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Some middle aged balding man sitting down to play some Dominion, goes to shuffle his sleeved cards and slits his loving wrists open, blood just gushing everywhere

"There's GOT to be a better way!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

People are really concerned about corners of die cut counters, so maybe?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

People are really concerned about corners of die cut counters, so maybe?

Die-cut counters are slightly different as you're constantly picking them up and the most convenient way to do it is by the corner. You hold cards by the edge and they're large enough to slide off the deck from the top, so the issue of corners digging into your hands all day never arises.

These stupid things are going to split the first time you shuffle with them. Rounding the corner creates a flap at the top of the sleeve. It's both a natural trap for other cards and a structural weak point. The flap is also going to be much more prone to bending and deforming than a regular sleeve corner because it's a single thickness with no support. Anyone who buys these is wasting their money.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Kai Tave posted:

I find them really uncomfortable.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Merauder posted:

Roxley (the company behind Steampunk Rally and Super Motherload) have a new campaign up today for a re-imagining of Santorini that looks goddamn gorgeous, if you're into abstract strategy games. Really excited to try this one myself.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roxley/santorini-learn-it-in-30-seconds-play-it-for-life

Demeter is adorable and Aphrodite looks like Natalie Dormer. Does feel weird to pay extra to have the game on a plastic cliff with no gameplay use, but I guess you'll be the only kid on your block with a game on a plastic cliff.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

rchandra posted:

Can we define injury as saying "ouch" and then the pain goes away?

If so, I totally have done this.

Edit: oops, two in a row. Sorry.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

signalnoise posted:

I find them really uncomfortable.

Same, but less so. If I played tcgs, I might consider it if I saw it in a store since they're priced at $3 or 4 for 100, but because of shipping, it's a little exorbitant. Using the KS as a means to buy their games otoh isn't necessarily a bad idea.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Hoo boy.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

You'd be stupid NOT to back at the $10,000 level!!!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, I can't wait to hang out in those Poser renders.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm not seeing a Yiffatorium in these plans

head58
Apr 1, 2013

ADA ACCESSIBLE!

*fills building with bar height tables and counters*

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
So, a gym-style dedicated community area for nerds could work. It would be a hard business model, given that gamers have gaming stores to use as a free alternative, but if you market it right I could see it possibly doing well. Of course, you'd need a few things that this pitch is absolutely missing

1) A way to make money off of it. Even if you're motivated by a love for the community rather than any profit, there will be bills to pay and repairs to make and supplies to fill. There's no mention of a subscription fee or tickets or any sort of income other than a cafe (which probably can't pay for a huge center by itself)
2) A solid community base. They plan to start in Arlington, Texas. Is that a huge area for nerds? I haven't heard either way, but why aren't they starting somewhere that already has a big convention base?
3) Actual plans and costs. They've got poser (or some other basic 3d modeling tool) mockups, but that's really just a concept. Do they have an architect's plans drawn up for this? A construction company's quote? They list november as a delivery date, I really hope that's just a placeholder.
4) Investors. 8 people have backed so far at about 165 dollars each, which is clearly just their circle of friends who are on board with the idea. There's no way that Kickstarter will raise 2 million dollars for a single building in Texas with basically no rewards being offered.

They talked about Shark Tank in one of their updates, but they have no chance in hell there. One minute into the pitch, someone will ask "How do you plan to make money here?" and they will be shot down unless they have way better plans than are listed on the kickstarter.

EDIT: Just checked. Arlington has a population of less than 400,000 people. It's a half hour drive from Dallas, which is right at that threshold of inconvenience that a lot of people wouldn't be happy to make the trip often. I hope I'm missing something here as someone as far from Texas as you can get in the continental US.

Kaza42 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 29, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

If they really do want to put all that stuff in one building, that building is going to be huge. And yeah, I suppose a million and change dollars can do that, but the operating costs are going to be pretty ridiculous.

The whole thing is such a "man, if I ever win the Powerball..." pipe dream. I mean...three theaters, two of which are "specifically for anime"? Full cafe? Free wifi? Secure, private outdoor area? How the hell is this supposed to sustain itself?

fake edit: holy poo poo I just read the goal breakdown; there is no cash buffer for when things go wrong. It's just as well she's never going to even get close to goal.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

The project creator's bio is truly where this gets insane. That's someone's grandma.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Maybe not calling it OTAKU HOUSE would be a good first step. I can see potential in the idea, but it would have to grow significantly, and fast. Maybe like a series of clubs around the world, and membership allows you access to any of them. Membership fees and income generated from food/drinks are the only way I can see them turning any sort of profit, and it would have to be cost-effective for both the customer (to feel like he's getting his money's worth) and the owner.

Definitely potential, but they need a solid business plan up there, not just some renders of rooms.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The_Doctor posted:

Definitely potential

There really, really isn't.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's literally called house house

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

There really, really isn't.

Not at all - just based on the projected monthly costs of $2000 per month for the land lease, and $41000/mo for salary, you'd need a bare minimum of 430 people paying $100 per month for membership.

This doesn't even count incidental expenses, supplies (nerd toilets don't clean themselves!,) contingency (who's going to pay when the AC goes out and you have a building full of sweaty nerds?,) and best of all, UTILITIES. Cooling a building full of people and PCs is not free.

This person is a dum-dum and doesn't know the first thing about running a business. She wants a backyard clubhouse.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Serious question, are LAN parties still even a thing? Now that halfway passable broadband internet is widespread and even consoles have made a big transition into online multiplayer, it seems to me that lugging your computer to someone's house so you can play deathmatch is kind of a weird thing to be talking about like your two million dollar crowdfunded nerd cafe is the answer people have been waiting for to this conundrum.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

Serious question, are LAN parties still even a thing? Now that halfway passable broadband internet is widespread and even consoles have made a big transition into online multiplayer, it seems to me that lugging your computer to someone's house so you can play deathmatch is kind of a weird thing to be talking about like your two million dollar crowdfunded nerd cafe is the answer people have been waiting for to this conundrum.
They are at conventions; I know PAX East has a big LAN section every year. Of course, the LAN-ing is part of the overall larger convention, so people are there for other stuff too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not at all - just based on the projected monthly costs of $2000 per month for the land lease, and $41000/mo for salary, you'd need a bare minimum of 430 people paying $100 per month for membership.

This doesn't even count incidental expenses, supplies (nerd toilets don't clean themselves!,) contingency (who's going to pay when the AC goes out and you have a building full of sweaty nerds?,) and best of all, UTILITIES. Cooling a building full of people and PCs is not free.

This person is a dum-dum and doesn't know the first thing about running a business. She wants a backyard clubhouse.

And insurance, and taxes, and regulatory compliance, and advertising, and equipment maintenance and replacement.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

They are at conventions; I know PAX East has a big LAN section every year. Of course, the LAN-ing is part of the overall larger convention, so people are there for other stuff too.

Right, I kinda figured they had them at big gaming conventions, but in terms of "man I want to play some Rocket League with my friends" outside of conventions most people would probably rather just play from the comfort of their own homes. It's the same with things like tabletop RPGs, I'm aware that some folks do play at game stores and the like but I'm guessing that more people play at someone's home, so the question becomes why are people going to want to pay a membership fee to go and do this stuff at some sort of Dave & Busters knockoff?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Agrias120 posted:

You'd be stupid NOT to back at the $10,000 level!!!

Only KS I've seen include transportation and lodging. So yeah, if you're going to back any KS at 10k, might as well be this one.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Kai Tave posted:

Right, I kinda figured they had them at big gaming conventions, but in terms of "man I want to play some Rocket League with my friends" outside of conventions most people would probably rather just play from the comfort of their own homes. It's the same with things like tabletop RPGs, I'm aware that some folks do play at game stores and the like but I'm guessing that more people play at someone's home, so the question becomes why are people going to want to pay a membership fee to go and do this stuff at some sort of Dave & Busters knockoff?

I think the e-sports crowd are also into LANs for reduced latency.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

My circle of friends will have a LAN party once or twice a year at someone's house, just because there genuinely is something to be said for having everyone in the same room playing classic deathmatch and action games while screaming obscenities at someone physically near you instead of a mic.

But we're all hardware nerds and live within 10 miles of each other, so different strokes and all that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

SilverMike posted:

I think the e-sports crowd are also into LANs for reduced latency.

That's totally what this place needs in addition to anime fans and furries, a bunch of MOBA players taking up the LAN station and shouting slurs at one another.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How much you want to bet they're going to put the LAN center right next to the "quiet room" or one of the theaters?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

How much you want to bet they're going to put the LAN center right next to the "quiet room" or one of the theaters?

I will bet you $100 nonexistent dollars that they will not put the LAN center that will never exist right next to the quiet room that will never exist or one of the theaters that will never exist. Sure, why not.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Given its location, I am betting the whole thing will have that quiet room/library feel.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Don't forget the one (1) DnD table and one Warhammer table.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
There's something like this already here in the Seattle area.

http://www.vnw.club/membership/

Of course Seattle is crawling with rich nerds.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I mean, there's Nerd Cafes and Boardgame Places. But they didn't build the building they're in.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bucnasti posted:

$750 yearly membership fee or a $35 fee at the door per visit, except one night per month when there's six hours without a cover charge. See, I can't tell if this is just me being contrary or thrifty or what, but I've got to say that I just don't personally see the appeal in paying to go game at an "exclusive" venue like this since they can't actually guarantee that the crowd in attendance is going to be any better than the crowd at whatever FLGS is nearby, and that's really the make-or-break for game night out. All the free snacks and fancy tables in the world aren't going to make paying money to play board games worth it if it's the same basic experience you could get for free elsewhere. Have you been there before? Is it worth it?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bucnasti posted:

Of course it's in downtown Kirkland.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Kai Tave posted:

Have you been there before? Is it worth it?

I've never been there, it doesn't seem worth it to me, but I'm a working class nerd. Also I live a few blocks from this place, http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/ which has tons of public game space, and several classy private rooms for gaming events.

Like I said, Seattle is crawling with rich nerds, theres several more places like this around.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HEY

I have a GOOD kickstarter to link!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179741323/post-apocalyptic-dwarf-bikers?ref=category_newest

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bucnasti posted:

I've never been there, it doesn't seem worth it to me, but I'm a working class nerd. Also I live a few blocks from this place, http://www.moxboardinghouse.com/ which has tons of public game space, and several classy private rooms for gaming events.

$160 to $320 to rent a private room for four hours? Noooooo thanks.

edit; before someone says anything, this may in fact be an entirely reasonable price for renting private space out for functions, but I can't see dropping that sort of money all in order to go out somewhere and spend an evening playing RPGs. More than that sort of money since I've never once had an RPG evening that wrapped up cleanly in four hours.

Kai Tave fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I will bet you $100 nonexistent dollars that they will not put the LAN center that will never exist right next to the quiet room that will never exist or one of the theaters that will never exist. Sure, why not.

It's a shame to take your imaginary money. :smuggo:

I mean, yeah there's no way this is ever going to happen, but if it miraculously did somehow you just know they'd put the loudest rooms next to the ones that want silence.

• Locked thread