Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

i have thought that on most occasions and been wrong on every single one of them

okay fine I know specifically what the Big Things are and when Soon is and how quickly I should run away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

when the big things actually do happen it's never good for you the employee in fact my friend i would wager to guess it is usually bad

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

okay fine I know specifically what the Big Things are and when Soon is and how quickly I should run away

If the big thing is a vesting cliff then it can be worth sticking around at least until that happens

Otherwise lol did they put it in writing or what

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Bloody posted:

Big Things are always "happening soon" it is always a lie

In my last job about almost a year ago or so they said they were moving from visual sourcesafe (maybe one step above using Dropbox for version control) to git for everyone and had sourcetree installed on everyone's computer to big fanfare

I talk to people who still work there and theyre still using sourcesafe with no end in sight, I don't think they even hear about the move to git anymore

Don't trust something is happening until you see it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't trust something is happening until you can look at a calendar and say "yes, this definitely happened back on <date>"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Bloody posted:

i have thought that on most occasions and been wrong on every single one of them

I've been at my (good) current job 7 months, the pay is decent and it's my first full-time job. I think jumping ship before a year would be worse for me than getting a raise immediately.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

You don't even know what your options are if you aren't at least looking

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

gonadic io posted:

I've been at my (good) current job 7 months, the pay is decent and it's my first full-time job. I think jumping ship before a year would be worse for me than getting a raise immediately.

Yep. Leave after 3 years, though. You will have learned everything that job can teach you by then. And yeah, you should always bee looking at jobs just to have an understanding of salary trends and what skills the market is looking for.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I know I am ridic underpaid but it is also my first tech job and I want to ride it as long as possible (also I live with my parents so all my excess cash can go to paying off my remaining $17,000 in student loans)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Luigi Thirty posted:

I know I am ridic underpaid but it is also my first tech job and I want to ride it as long as possible (also I live with my parents so all my excess cash can go to paying off my remaining $17,000 in student loans)

Understood. You need to build up your resume and experience. 3 yrs experience is kind of a milestone that will open up more doors for you, as well.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

Yep. Leave after 3 years, though. You will have learned everything that job can teach you by then. And yeah, you should always bee looking at jobs just to have an understanding of salary trends and what skills the market is looking for.

so true. if you wait until you're fed up and desperate to work anywhere else, you're in a bad bargaining position. i almost settled for a lateral transfer to another company and a cut in vacation time when i should have got a big raise.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
My manager is so good that im worried he won't be around at our team level for very long. I think him leaving would be the only thing to make me leave. But there are so many internal opportunities that I'll probably never leave the company

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Valeyard posted:

My manager is so good that im worried he won't be around at our team level for very long. I think him leaving would be the only thing to make me leave. But there are so many internal opportunities that I'll probably never leave the company

That's how they keep you trapped in their perpetual hell dimension of less-than-cost-of-living-increase "raises".

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The other thing is we have 2 large competing companies on the doorstep. Lots, and lots, of people ping pong around every couple of years for bigger pay bumps.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

my company bought a competitor in NC recently and are begging people to transfer there lol good luck

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Bloody posted:

Big Things are always "happening soon" it is always a lie

at my last job the owner announced big things happening soon every other week while the staff got reduced from 25 to 6 over the course of a year

iirc a "big things" announcement and a round of layoffs happened within a day of each other at least once

i quickly learned to amplify my dread in direct proportion to his enthusiasm

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i got promoted to lead developer at the start of the year, which meant i got the same 3% raise as everyone else and also had my overtime opportunities cut back, lmao

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

"promoted"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yea

on the upside its a good title to put on my latest batch of resumes

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i've worked as a software engineer for like a month and now this tread is starting to make me wonder about my career choice

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

St Evan Echoes posted:

yea

on the upside its a good title to put on my latest batch of resumes

downside titles don't matter

simble
May 11, 2004

HoboMan posted:

i've worked as a software engineer for like a month and now this tread is starting to make me wonder about my career choice

it'll be 11 years before you know it and then you'll really question it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Soricidus posted:

i just used an exception for control flow and i don't even care #yolo

terrible programmer update: lol the exception constructor showed up as a hotspot in profiling, guess i'll be learning an important lesson from this then

the lesson is don't profile your code, just blame the hardware if it's slow

e: now i'm tempted to reuse a single exception instance instead of refactoring the control flow "properly", because hey it's not like anyone's ever going to want an accurate stack trace if it's not exceptional right?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
50% raise/year :cool:

another few years and ill be on par with a sf starting salary!

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Luigi Thirty posted:

my company bought a competitor in NC recently and are begging people to transfer there lol good luck

are they looking to fill any roles in the ludicrous salary range

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
north carolina is the best carolina

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Barnyard Protein posted:

north carolina is the best carolina

I fall into the "would get shot on sight" provision of the new laws being a liberal (that's what the L stands for right)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
where i live in nc is significantly more liberal than anywhere i lived in California

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
unlike california, a black person can afford to live in the parts of nc where they won't get shot

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

the south has the small courtesy of being explicit in it's racism

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
over the last couple of days i wrote a truly hideous sql function that does some annoying business logic stuff. it's going to be a maintenance nightmare for the poor bastard who has to deal with it later. i mean, i wrote the drat thing and i'm not sure that i can fully explain all of it. it sort of... evolved organically, in that i understood each change to the function individually, but if you asked me to walk you through the whole thing i'd have to hand wave and mumble a lot

and this is after a rewrite from an even earlier attempt

oh well, it seems to work and passed code review! and of course there's no time to have another attempt at writing it better

... i think i just might be a terrible programmer

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sounds like youre a victim of a lovely organization

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

redleader posted:

the poor bastard who has to deal with it later.

Probably you!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Bloody posted:

sounds like youre a victim of a lovely organization

aren't we all

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yup

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

C# code:
  case :
            switch ()
            {
                case :
                    break;
            }
   break;

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

HoboMan posted:

C# code:
  case :
            switch ()
            {
                case :
                    break;
            }
   break;

ship it

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

HoboMan posted:

C# code:
  case :
            switch ()
            {
                case :
                    break;
            }
   break;

lol I wonder what the compiled code looks like

Su-Su-Sudoko
Oct 25, 2007