Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Stoatbringer posted:

Rum, sodomy and the lash. Our grand naval tradition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705FYkvs_94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Brawnfire posted:

How many replies does a single post get before someone is allowed to type "shut up" at the thread?

It seems to be getting more frequent

shut up

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This isn't that hard to understand. Generally, the people creating have been able to follow their dreams to some extent and find a measure of happiness, and find a lot of value in that, so more than likely what they create is going to convey this as a more important message overall than earning money.

Meanwhile, those hiring them in order to invest in the creation of the media and, eventually make money can sometimes/often care little for the overall message of the piece, as long as it sells.

So you have a bunch of people who got lucky enough to make it work, getting paid to make daydreamy stories about how great it is to succeed by following your heart and not your wallet.

Let's not try to make this something insidious, when it's really just our collective inability to imagine scenarios outside of our own and our effect on the overall system, and the ways our small actions every day make this the system we've all created together.

I thought this was a LoB post for a few minutes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I want to hear more about Muslim women and their handjobs

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Brawnfire posted:

How many replies does a single post get before someone is allowed to type "shut up" at the thread?

It seems to be getting more frequent

People are getting better at sniffing out a bad argument that will poo poo up the thread for 4 pages if it isn't stopped immediately.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

This isn't that hard to understand. Generally, the people creating have been able to follow their dreams to some extent and find a measure of happiness, and find a lot of value in that, so more than likely what they create is going to convey this as a more important message overall than earning money.

Meanwhile, those hiring them in order to invest in the creation of the media and, eventually make money can sometimes/often care little for the overall message of the piece, as long as it sells.

So you have a bunch of people who got lucky enough to make it work, getting paid to make daydreamy stories about how great it is to succeed by following your heart and not your wallet.

Let's not try to make this something insidious, when it's really just our collective inability to imagine scenarios outside of our own and our effect on the overall system, and the ways our small actions every day make this the system we've all created together.

I was laughing at the username sharing this post, dude. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo

Fashionable Jorts posted:

People are getting better at sniffing out a bad argument that will poo poo up the thread for 4 pages if it isn't stopped immediately.

This

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Omg shut up

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Brawnfire posted:

Omg shut up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYa0jpGFUeY

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

cash crab posted:

I'm so sad. I just unfriended a few good mines for IoSM for posting super-unfunny poo poo. So, I'll go to my other favourite source, people who share trending news with walls of text.

Imagine being this mad about a nipple four nipples

Lmao, doesn't Kim Kardashian give 10% of all of her earnings to charity? She sure as gently caress can afford it but I don't think I know more than one person who gives more than 0,001% of their monthly earnings to charities.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Sarcopenia posted:

Lmao, doesn't Kim Kardashian give 10% of all of her earnings to charity? She sure as gently caress can afford it but I don't think I know more than one person who gives more than 0,001% of their monthly earnings to charities.

Yeah she donates a lot, but people can still get salty because they're not giving 90% of their income to charity or something.

quote:

The problem comes in when I get attacked for giving and trying to help people. My dad always taught me the importance of giving back. I don’t publicize everything I do to help charities and people all over the world. I do it because I want to. I do it because my dad taught me to. I do it because it’s the right thing to do. So for people to attack me for giving 10% of my eBay auction sales to the people of the Philippines, that hurts.
I do eBay auctions monthly and change the charity or church from time to time. I give 10% of all my earnings to charities, not just these eBay auctions. This month it’s for the people of the Philippines, last month was Life Change Community Church.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I just love that picture so much because he's got this idea that you can't be a charitable and caring person AND occasionally remove your shirt. Like, you can only do one of these things a day. "Oh, poo poo, I donated to the SPCA. I guess I have to shower with my pants on now."

Anyways. I know a guy who follows this page, and likes their posts a lot, so...

Are troops exist in a vacuum

I should really unfriend that guy

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
he couldn't find something NEWER to be sexist about?

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

china bot posted:

he couldn't find something NEWER to be sexist about?

a lot of people have a hard-on for WW2 for some reason.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Laurenz posted:

Cmon guys, it's the GREATEST WAR fought by the GREATEST GENERATION.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

40-Degree Day posted:

Cmon guys, it's the GREATEST WAR fought by the GREATEST GENERATION.

This might be BS, but I recall hearing somewhere that Bill Clinton got some flack during his first presidential run because he was born in 1946, and couldn't possibly be mature enough to run the country if he didn't even storm a single beach in Europe first.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

BigglesSWE posted:

This might be BS, but I recall hearing somewhere that Bill Clinton got some flack during his first presidential run because he was born in 1946, and couldn't possibly be mature enough to run the country if he didn't even storm a single beach in Europe first.

This sounds absurd, but I am not even a little bit surprised that some people would feel that way.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Laurenz posted:

Thats also a WW1 photo. Besides, I think we all can agree here, there has never been a soldier that was an rear end in a top hat. Its just never happened in all of human history.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yeah it's probably not real because I haven't found any mention of it when I looked for it but we all know there's some republican down in a mosquitos swamp somewhere who resent Obummer because he didn't fry any Charlie in 'Nam.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Laurenz
Dec 21, 2015

They call him little janny hotpockets. He was terrific, he was the best, and he did it for free too.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Thats also a WW1 photo. Besides, I think we all can agree here, there has never been a soldier that was an rear end in a top hat. Its just never happened in all of human history.

Yep! All soldiers are literal saints. Except the baddie ones, but OUR soldiers are always great.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

I wish one of the mods was actually named Goon Mod and had this for an av.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

BigglesSWE posted:

I distinctly remember hearing a family member rant against Clinton for this very reason when I was a kid. So, yes, at least a few people held it against him. But to be more specific, the objection had less to do with age, and more being super pissed people would for a "draft dodging coward" over WWII vets like H.W. Bush and Dole.

Of course, the relative who embraced this argument is that same one which, to this day, will rant at length about how Clinton only won both his elections because female voters thought he was cute. So...

Kind of a shame I've made it a point to never add this person to Facebook, I bet there's gold there...

FoxTerrier has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Mar 31, 2016

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Laurenz posted:

It's the last time there was a war of that style with a clear enemy no one has much contention about. So basically it's an easy war to go with because it was super clear who the "bad guys" were and what would happen if they weren't stopped. You can't do that with any recent military actions because the political issues get a lot messier.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Moon god always makes me laugh, but that one always loving slays me.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dirksteadfast posted:

It's the last time there was a war of that style with a clear enemy no one has much contention about. So basically it's an easy war to go with because it was super clear who the "bad guys" were and what would happen if they weren't stopped. You can't do that with any recent military actions because the political issues get a lot messier.

Of course, realistically the Nazis would have never actually been able to conquer farther than Western Europe (and had trouble just crossing the English Channel). The US was almost totally insulted from direct conflict during the war in the first place, as we faced basically zero direct combat except at Pearl Harbor and the Aleutian Islands (both islands that were still territories that hadn't earned statehood until 1959, so it wasn't really the same as striking California or anything) and neither Germany nor Japan could have realistically started an invasion.

World War II GIs "fought for our freedom" much like how they fought for our freedom in Vietnam or Iraq. That's not to say that intervention in WW2 was totally selfish or that it was a morally ambiguous war. Germany and Imperial Japan really were awful governments attempting to subjugate other nations that needed to be stopped, there's no denying that unless you're the kind of person who also doubts that the Holocaust happened. But I don't think that an American soldier has truly fought to ensure the continued existence of the United States since 1865.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kracken posted:

I'm in the red, trying to argue. I guess it's me that's the idiot.

That 19 year old girl = Albert Einstein. Also a cashier somewhere clapped, and a womens lit professor lost her job.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

chitoryu12 posted:

But I don't think that an American soldier has truly fought to ensure the continued existence of the United States since 1865.

Even in 1865, the United States would've still existed. 1814 was the last time we were actually under threat of being conquered.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Byzantine posted:

Even in 1865, the United States would've still existed. 1814 was the last time we were actually under threat of being conquered.

And the only good thing that came out of that was a novelty song. :colbert:

Now clumsily illustrated. LOL at squirrel guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_iRIcxsz0

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

chitoryu12 posted:

Of course, realistically the Nazis would have never actually been able to conquer farther than Western Europe (and had trouble just crossing the English Channel). The US was almost totally insulted from direct conflict during the war in the first place, as we faced basically zero direct combat except at Pearl Harbor and the Aleutian Islands (both islands that were still territories that hadn't earned statehood until 1959, so it wasn't really the same as striking California or anything) and neither Germany nor Japan could have realistically started an invasion.

World War II GIs "fought for our freedom" much like how they fought for our freedom in Vietnam or Iraq. That's not to say that intervention in WW2 was totally selfish or that it was a morally ambiguous war. Germany and Imperial Japan really were awful governments attempting to subjugate other nations that needed to be stopped, there's no denying that unless you're the kind of person who also doubts that the Holocaust happened. But I don't think that an American soldier has truly fought to ensure the continued existence of the United States since 1865.

:wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful:

Good lord you're a lovely poster.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I once read in a Weird War 2 RPG book that said the only way for the Axis to have won the war and have reached American soil was with supernatural help. I don't know if this is correct, but it had ideas like revenant Frederik I having every German soldier who have ever died march through the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean or the Japanese soldiers being carried by the Divine Wind, so that was pretty cool.

paradoxGentleman has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Mar 31, 2016

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Karma Monkey posted:

And the only good thing that came out of that was a novelty song. :colbert:

Now now there's nothing novelty about remembering to take a little bacon and to take a little beans.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

paradoxGentleman posted:

I once read in a Weird War 2 RPG book that the only way for the Axis to have won the war and get to American soil was with supernatural help. I don't know if this is correct, but it had ideas like revenant Frederik I having every German soldier who have ever died march through the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean or the Japanese soldiers being carried by the Divine Wind, so that was pretty cool.

I read a similar thing, where Germany nuked New York, Leningrad, and the soviet armor columns at Kursk. They also had zombies with suicide vests, resurrected skeletal knights and Prussians, vamps and werewolves, and still could barely stem the Allies. The allies had powered armor, though.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 00:08 on Apr 1, 2016

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Weatherman posted:

:wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful: :wrongful:

Good lord you're a lovely poster.

he's actually good and nice.

LoB, do your thing!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hhhhhuuuuuurrrrr hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr period gurl joke AMIRITE huuuuurrrrrr

/tagswife

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Yay thread title!

I told him it was a bit closed-minded and he compared non-atheists to being drug users. Insufferable rear end.

sootikins
May 24, 2008

Did I ever. Remember it as if it were yesterday. Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious.

Scathach posted:

Yay thread title!

I told him it was a bit closed-minded and he compared non-atheists to being drug users. Insufferable rear end.

I kept parsing 'reasonistink' as 'reason I stink' and it fits the whole mess nicely I feel.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The best utilitarian argument I can think for ensuring a child does not starve is that the poorer and more wretched a person is the more likely they are to breed.

Bring back the work houses for the little wretches, and let the breeders become social outcasts.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

Yay thread title!

The highest sign of intellect is the continued use of the expression "butthurt"

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Scathach posted:

Yay thread title!

I can understand religion or lack thereof influencing a decision on a long term relationship, though I would want to get to know someone first. On the other hand, buying some lame rear end shirt and bragging about it on the internet is kinda dumb.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 01:27 on Apr 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Myself is so awesome.