Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Ok so how exactly does Alex's V-trigger work? I accidently pulled off 2 parries in a row against a jumping karin and I was so confused by my success that I lost the scramble afterwards. At first I thought it just gave some armor but is it like a moving attack version of Ryu's parry? I'm loving Alex and doing good with him and I can still see lots of gaps in my gameplay where I can improve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Using floats correctly is one of those low-level things that is surprisingly early to mess up. All it takes is one lazy call that looks totally correct and logical... at a glance.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I think Cammy just benefitted from a lighting change; Chun Li seems to have undergone more changes.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dracula Factory posted:

Ok so how exactly does Alex's V-trigger work? I accidently pulled off 2 parries in a row against a jumping karin and I was so confused by my success that I lost the scramble afterwards. At first I thought it just gave some armor but is it like a moving attack version of Ryu's parry? I'm loving Alex and doing good with him and I can still see lots of gaps in my gameplay where I can improve.

Press and hold hp+hk to charge lariat. If someone hits you during the charge, you parry. If you let go during the parry, you'll go back to neutral, but if you keep holding it down it'll do the lariat.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
I've had this game for 2 weeks now and I still haven't won a single loving fight and I'm sick of what seems to me like being stunlocked (although it's not but that's how it feels) and maybe getting to land one or two punches if I'm lucky. Is there any hope for me because I'm starting to hate the game and I know it's not the game it's me and it's so frustrating :smith:.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Corbeau posted:

Using floats correctly is one of those low-level things that is surprisingly early to mess up. All it takes is one lazy call that looks totally correct and logical... at a glance.

I'd wager someone casted an int to a float instead of just making it a goddamn float.

Poison Jam posted:

I've had this game for 2 weeks now and I still haven't won a single loving fight and I'm sick of what seems to me like being stunlocked (although it's not but that's how it feels) and maybe getting to land one or two punches if I'm lucky. Is there any hope for me because I'm starting to hate the game and I know it's not the game it's me and it's so frustrating :smith:.

what the hell are you using for a controller?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Poison Jam posted:

Step one is actually figuring out what you're missing knowledge of because nobody can help you if you don't even know what you need to learn

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Microwaves Mom posted:

I'd wager someone casted an int to a float instead of just making it a goddamn float.

what the hell are you using for a controller?

I'm using the PS4 stick which was £45 which I think is an ok price.

The knowledge I'm missing? All of it, the last time I played a fighting game was virtua fighter 2 in the arcade.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Jmcrofts posted:

Press and hold hp+hk to charge lariat. If someone hits you during the charge, you parry. If you let go during the parry, you'll go back to neutral, but if you keep holding it down it'll do the lariat.

But I parried 2 hits and I was fine? Was that me just starting another lariat? Man, if only there was some way for the game to explain these sorts of things to the players, but we all know such feats are impossible.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Poison Jam posted:

Who are you using? And as for babby help, jmcrofts' tutorials are pretty much the best resource for SFV out there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Jam posted:

Whenever your opponent is on top of you, your default action should be to block. Even if you lose, do a few matches where you focus on trying to block the opponent as much as possible. Once you get better at blocking you can figure out good times to "take your turn", which usually happens after your opponent pushes themselves out of close range, or they do a move that's minus on block (a move that gives you advantage when you block it).

You can learn a lot by practicing against the training mode dummy - record him doing some things that you've seen your opponents do to you, and practice blocking them/countering them. You can see some examples in a couple of my videos, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fId0IjLrLE&list=PL2N8qJGW36fwXacvDGAZwrg9pr1LM3wn-&index=4

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

cloofish posted:

Who are you using? And as for babby help, jmcrofts' tutorials are pretty much the best resource for SFV out there.

I've tried them all but the game says Chun Li is my favourite. I've played as Ryu a bunch too just because I remember him from SF2. I'll have to look at jimcrofts tutorials then and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy playing the game :).

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Poison Jam posted:

I'm using the PS4 stick which was £45 which I think is an ok price.

The knowledge I'm missing? All of it, the last time I played a fighting game was virtua fighter 2 in the arcade.

So, everyone will tell you to go into training, set a dummy to do something, and work out how to stop it. What I'd suggest though is having casual match turned on while you're doing it (you can set it up in the menu to look for games while you train).

Accept before going in that these aren't fights, they're data rounds with a better dummy. Look at your spacing, and when you're in trouble vs when you feel you put on pressure. Just look at your normals and see what to use when and where and get a feel for that. I found this was a good way to quickly get ideas for what to set the dummy to. Obviously turn off the search when you want, as well.

Look at anti air options. If someone jumps at you, you should have a good idea what to do to hit them based on how close they are.

Just keep working at little bits like that, examining different aspects of what's actually happening in a fight.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 31, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Poison Jam posted:

Sounds like you need to work on your defense basics and might be trying too hard for offense. Just try staying alive as long as you can, successfully block and anti-air stuff, etc. The people who are beating you know how to shut down whatever offense you've got, and you need to learn how to do the same to them before you can really stop constantly losing.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Poison Jam posted:

I've tried them all but the game says Chun Li is my favourite. I've played as Ryu a bunch too just because I remember him from SF2. I'll have to look at jimcrofts tutorials then and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy playing the game :).

if you're totally clueless the game has a lot of demonstrations under the challenges menu that are designed to teach you the in and outs of becoming a powerful warrior.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Everything should be float for accuracy in programming.

They just shouldn't gently caress up the numbers they set them up this horribly.

That said this may be the result of someone forgetting to put a float and just setting a flat int value that gets converted into a float. If you take an int to a float or it can get a complete random .000 value loving it up.

Whereas if you set something as a float such as 4.0 you know you're getting exactly 4.0 instead of say 4.0001

That's actually not true. Floating point numbers are inherently innacurately represented in binary. You might have something like 0.1 + 0.2 end up being 0.30000000000000004 (0.1 is a repeating decimal when represented in binary). I'd guess the reason there's floats everywhere is because it's running on a 3d engine that does all kinds of precise calculations with them(3d rotations with matrix multiplication, etc).

I think it's probably just an artifact of using a 3d engine for a 2d game. I can only imagine the headaches of dealing with an orthographic projection of hitboxes.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Zand posted:

if you're totally clueless the game has a lot of demonstrations under the challenges menu that are designed to teach you the in and outs of becoming a powerful warrior.

They're totally useless.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Partial Octopus posted:

They're totally useless.

That I can confirm. It was the weirdest waste of time and I don't understand why they've done it like that. Looks like I'll have to train for a good while and try to figure out what in gods name you guys are on about with regards to moves because these terms are pretty much alien to me but it's not like I don't have the time. My disability kinda prevents me from playing more than about 15 minutes at a time so I guess I'd better make the most of each session by training like mad with a dummy. A dummy that can and does kick my rear end. I've just realised I'm coming off as an angry dick, I'm just bad at the game and I didn't mean to come across like that. You guys seem pretty cool trying to help people get better so I'm sorry for coming across like a raving lunatic.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Online for this game is still really rubbish.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think the tutorials are decent for a total beginner but not much else, they don't really go in depth.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If you're getting "stunlocked" then you probably need to understand that getting hit generally puts you at frame disadvantage, so pushing a button is going to get you counter-hit which is even worse disadvantage. Block before you try hitting buttons.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Poison Jam posted:

That I can confirm. It was the weirdest waste of time and I don't understand why they've done it like that. Looks like I'll have to train for a good while and try to figure out what in gods name you guys are on about with regards to moves because these terms are pretty much alien to me but it's not like I don't have the time. My disability kinda prevents me from playing more than about 15 minutes at a time so I guess I'd better make the most of each session by training like mad with a dummy. A dummy that can and does kick my rear end. I've just realised I'm coming off as an angry dick, I'm just bad at the game and I didn't mean to come across like that. You guys seem pretty cool trying to help people get better so I'm sorry for coming across like a raving lunatic.

Nah, I completely understand, it can be super frustrating when you don't what it even is that you don't know, so you can't even ask for help, and so you keep getting BEATEN UP by strangers on the internet who all seem to know something you don't. Like that's inherently quite a stressful quandary. With practice though, you will start seeing improvements.

If you can, try and play some games with someone who can give you pointers. Having someone watch exactly what you're doing really helps a lot, because a lot of the time, as I say, you don't even know which bits you're doing wrong to ask.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Poison Jam posted:

Try using Birdie. He has strong pokes. Throws don't deal that much damage so focus on blocking and attacking more than teching.

Stop jumping all the time (assumption). Stop using cr.hk over and over. Learn what every button you have does, even if you don't use it.

Also post a video or two. Review your matches. Does every opponent jump at you after you do X? Now you know a tendency that your play style is creating in your opponents and you can exploit it.

When you counter with a jab, can you do another jab then link a lp/lk version of one of your specials? Try it with the characters you use and find out.

How many different patterns do you have? Are you mixing up jumpins, throws, overheads, lows, jump in lows, crossups, armor moves, and general spacing?

Do you know what ranges you threaten? Do you know what ranges you're weak at? Do you try to AA crossups and eat huge damage all the time?

Don't rely on the animation to tell you when you can hit a button. Test in training mode and read frame data.

It's really hard to say what your problem is without seeing you play. If you perfect very basic combos though and don't just face roll, you should at least win sometimes. Hell, if you pick ken and uppercut 100% of the time, you will still win more than 0 matches.

Benson Cunningham fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 31, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Poison Jam posted:

Being "stun locked" sounds like the very definition of a combo. Like, the whole idea of a combo is to hit someone when they're still in hit stun so they can't do anything. If not, just block and punish them.

I would recommend doing a battle lounge with someone who can teach you the very basics

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Try using Birdie. He has strong pokes. Throws don't deal that much damage so focus on blocking and attacking more than teching.

Stop jumping. Stop using cr.hk over and over. Learn what every button you have does, even if you don't use it.

Also post a video or two. Review your matches. Does every opponent jump at you after you do X? Now you know a tendency that your play style is creating in your opponents and you can exploit it.

When you counter with a jab, can you do another jab then link a lp/lk version of one of your specials? Try it with the characters you use and find out.

How many different patterns do you have? Are you mixing up jumpins, throws, overheads, lows, jump in lows, crossups, armor moves, and general spacing?

Do you know what ranges you threaten? Do you know what ranges you're weak at? Do you try to AA crossups and eat huge damage all the time?

Don't rely on the animation to tell you when you can hit a button. Test in training mode and read frame data.

It's really hard to say what your problem is without seeing you play. If you perfect very basic combos though and don't just face roll, you should at least win sometimes. Hell, if you pick ken and uppercut 100% of the time, you will still win more than 0 matches.

I'm not gonna lie that is gibberish to me. cr hk? lp/lk? Jump in lows? Crossups? AA crossups? I really don't mean to seem like the worlds biggest idiot but that may as well be Swahili to me.

Also I don't trust a word you say SNATCHER

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Jam posted:

I'm not gonna lie that is gibberish to me. cr hk? lp/lk? Jump in lows? Crossups? AA crossups? I really don't mean to seem like the worlds biggest idiot but that may as well be Swahili to me.

Also I don't trust a word you say SNATCHER

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2007/oct/21/street-fighter-terminology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Okita posted:

That's actually not true. Floating point numbers are inherently innacurately represented in binary. You might have something like 0.1 + 0.2 end up being 0.30000000000000004 (0.1 is a repeating decimal when represented in binary). I'd guess the reason there's floats everywhere is because it's running on a 3d engine that does all kinds of precise calculations with them(3d rotations with matrix multiplication, etc).

I think it's probably just an artifact of using a 3d engine for a 2d game. I can only imagine the headaches of dealing with an orthographic projection of hitboxes.

poo poo you're right idk why I was thinking calling it a float made it more accurate. I forgot the golden rule of you can't compare floats because 3.0f = 3.0f may not be true.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Okita posted:

What is this?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
I found concept art for Ryu's matching costume to go with Ken.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Poison Jam posted:

Try uploading a replay? Or share your CFN ID so that we can look at your replays. Maybe one of us can hop on in a game with you to give some tips in real time.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Poison Jam posted:

It's hard to be patient, especially when your instincts are telling you to mash buttons to try and get out of a beatdown. But like was flatluigi was implying, good players will look for the holes in your gameplay and exploit them.You need to figure out what those are and patch them up quick. well that's ironic

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Microwaves Mom posted:

Everything should be float for accuracy in programming.

They just shouldn't gently caress up the numbers they set them up this horribly.

That said this may be the result of someone forgetting to put a float and just setting a flat int value that gets converted into a float. If you take an int to a float or it can get a complete random .000 value loving it up.

Whereas if you set something as a float such as 4.0 you know you're getting exactly 4.0 instead of say 4.0001

The switch from integers to floating-point numbers in the genre as monitor resolutions increased probably had more to do with precision than with accuracy. Accuracy should be - and always was - a non-issue (they messed this up, and it wouldn't have happened with integer coordinates, but that is at least partially beside the point I'm trying to make), and does floating-point precision really improve the game? Does it support e-sports? AFAICT it introduced a marginal but real interval of ambiguity to the player's judgment of ranges at seemingly no benefit whatsoever (nobody's going to perform a sub-SF3 pixel nanowalk).

I admit this is all extreme pedantry, though. It's not so much an argument for a return to integer coordinates as it is bafflement at the switch having occurred in the first place.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

AnonSpore posted:

https://twitter.com/TOOLASSlSTED/status/715605570699595776

The explanation for why the Laura/Chun frametrap above doesn't work.

I really enjoy weird fighting game trivia like this, but somebody's gonna have to translate this into English for me

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

inthesto posted:

I really enjoy weird fighting game trivia like this, but somebody's gonna have to translate this into English for me

I think it is bad math.

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

Poison Jam posted:

I think everyone new goes through this, it's why there's so much talk about how to ease new blood into these games. It might not be a bad idea to join the Discord mentioned in the PG thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765001) and ask for some one-on-one training.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

https://twitter.com/TOOLASSlSTED/status/715605570699595776/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Gammatron 64 posted:

Or at least give gief his Green Hand back. Yeah, it might be a bit redundant with his v-skill and v-trigger, but he just feels so weird without it.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

I wonder if there are more significant ones.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 1, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
this game has only been out for like a month if you think this poo poo is broke you dont know fighting games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

anime was right posted:

this game has only been out for like a month if you think this poo poo is broke you dont know fighting games

Unfinished. Slew of silly decisions that could have been made better but likely rushed due to Sony and capcom trying to meet fiscal year endings along with EVO. Semantically Better?

As one of the people who defended the game when all we had to talk about was mikas butt and normals getting shittier, the overall package is decidely underwhelming in ways outside of just gameplay but not at all excluding it.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 1, 2016