Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

anime was right posted:

this game has only been out for like a month if you think this poo poo is broke you dont know fighting games

I dunno man I've been playing fighting games for a long time and this poo poo is pretty whack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

inthesto posted:

I really enjoy weird fighting game trivia like this, but somebody's gonna have to translate this into English for me

When laura is facing left and Chun is facing right, Laura can connect with st.MP after doing her ex projectile-thing.
If laura is facing right and chun is facing left, laura is 0.001 units of distance too far for stMP to connect.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Okita posted:

That's actually not true. Floating point numbers are inherently innacurately represented in binary. You might have something like 0.1 + 0.2 end up being 0.30000000000000004 (0.1 is a repeating decimal when represented in binary). I'd guess the reason there's floats everywhere is because it's running on a 3d engine that does all kinds of precise calculations with them(3d rotations with matrix multiplication, etc).
For games, getting precise numbers doesn't matter as long as they're consistent. One of the most egregious problems with floats for a game like SFV is actually unexpected: unless you've set the right compiler flags the precision can vary from processor to processor and from build to build (or, depending on the framework, from execution to execution), which leads to desync in network matches and replays because the same inputs will produce different outputs. It's a special kind of hell made for netcode programmers. Due to that some games will rather use fixed point or integers for gameplay purposes.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Poison Jam posted:

I've had this game for 2 weeks now and I still haven't won a single loving fight and I'm sick of what seems to me like being stunlocked (although it's not but that's how it feels) and maybe getting to land one or two punches if I'm lucky. Is there any hope for me because I'm starting to hate the game and I know it's not the game it's me and it's so frustrating :smith:.

Stop pressing buttons when you're blocking.

Also, despite how it's presented in the game, winning isn't everything.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 1, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Poison Jam posted:

I've had this game for 2 weeks now and I still haven't won a single loving fight and I'm sick of what seems to me like being stunlocked (although it's not but that's how it feels) and maybe getting to land one or two punches if I'm lucky. Is there any hope for me because I'm starting to hate the game and I know it's not the game it's me and it's so frustrating :smith:.

I keep saying it and no one echoes it but its literally the only way to ever enjoy fighting games.

Don't just use the result. Pay more attention to the match. Stop being upset that you aren't winning slowly start trying to understand why things are going wrong. Make small improvements from there. Even top players lose

There's this mis-understanding by new players that you can only do well or improve or have fun when win is on your side of the screen. get rid of that idea.

Having the game for 2 weeks doesn't mean squat. I've owned it since release and played maybe 40 ranked matches.

If you feel like you are getting beat relentlessly, by the same characters. experiment and pay attention while experimenting.
Are you always just pressing buttons when they are?
Do you freak out and guard when they are close?
Do you look for attacks that end slowly to attack them?
Do you try and hit them while they are jumping towards you?
do they keep getting away with the same attack?
Are you trying to interrupt their weaker fast attacks with your slower stronger ones (hint here, not a good idea)?
Do you understand what their moves do?
Do you understand what your moves can do?
Are you thinking about complex combos or strategies you aren't ready for instead of basic attack and defense?

There's only hope if you aren't only looking to eventually endlessly win to have fun.
if you want to learn and improve slowly, theres hope but it won't happen in 2 weeks.
Hell it could take months.
It could take days.
but if you are only going to enjoy when you are winning, just wait till the cgi story mode is added then put this game away. and don't feel bad if you need to. not all fighters are for all people. Not all games are for all people.

keep in mind these are words from a non competitive person.
if you are, sure be upset that you're losing, but then understand why and get better.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 1, 2016

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I've done competitive street fighter for years and years and I still suck rear end at it so don't feel bad

lol I was literally thinking of that picture before you posted that

Like I would probably work on a pocket gief as a secondary just because I really like him as a character and played him a lot in past games, but god... no green hand just feels wrong

And yes, I realize gief didn't have green hand before ST but SSF2 for SNES was my first Street Fighter game and pre-ST versions of SF2 are significantly less fun to me because so much is missing from them. No supers? No oicho throw for Honda? No fireballs for Chun? No Cammy\Deejay\Hawk\Fei Long? I dunno...

(Yes, I realize this post made old man Hyperfighting fans cringe super hardcore)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Speculation: Gief will get his greenhand back if they introduce multiple V-trigger/V-skills.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've done competitive street fighter for years and years and I still suck rear end at it so don't feel bad

lol I was literally thinking of that picture before you posted that

Like I would probably work on a pocket gief as a secondary just because I really like him as a character and played him a lot in past games, but god... no green hand just feels wrong

And yes, I realize gief didn't have green hand before ST but SSF2 for SNES was my first Street Fighter game and pre-ST versions of SF2 are significantly less fun to me because so much is missing from them. No supers? No oicho throw for Honda? No fireballs for Chun? No Cammy\Deejay\Hawk\Fei Long? I dunno...

(Yes, I realize this post made old man Hyperfighting fans cringe super hardcore)

That game you're pining for is quite literally two years newer than HF.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

This seems extremely important.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Night Blade posted:

Yeah, that's a mistake alright. Unmark Cammy's Theme and mark FANGs.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
FANG and Karin imho, but Im a music snob.

Whoops forgot Rashid.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 1, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

FANG and Karin imho, but Im a music snob.

Karin, FANG and Rashid are the essentials.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

When you need inspiration...

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dias posted:

Karin, FANG and Rashid are the essentials.

The list checks out.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

hiddenriverninja posted:

IS that yet another Ken skin with the red hair?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

At ease, looser!

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

"Okay, let's rumble."

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

FINISH HIM!

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

"Mmph, mphh mmprmrmph!"

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hard reads

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Night Blade posted:

Why wouldn't you pick Necalli's theme? It's so good.

hiddenriverninja posted:

This is also good.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
So what's the consensus? Alex seems pretty garbage tier at the moment.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Benson Cunningham posted:

I mean, he might be, but that seems like some very odd phrasing. :v:

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

visually yes.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

he lost to lupe, he inspires disgust and dishonor

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

I'm curious as to why you think this.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Garbage tier for a garbage game

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

okay i dont play this game but what is this thing

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

okay i dont play this game but what is this thing

Ken while wearing Ryo from Art of Fighting/KoF's gi.

http://snk.wikia.com/wiki/Ryo_Sakazaki

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
thats not ken

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

thats not ken

Sorry duder.

http://nerdreactor.com/2016/03/29/capcom-hates-ken-new-street-fighter-v-costumes-revealed/

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ack!

e: no seriously its like some "faces of meth" thing going on here

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

ack!

e: no seriously its like some "faces of meth" thing going on here

Yeah, it's pretty bad.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
What's weird is that he looks ok in game. If you see his snapshot during the You Win/You Lose screen, he looks like normal 3d Ken. I dont understand what that alien is doing on the Character Select screen in his place.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Oh its very confused Jacky bryant now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Evil Canadian posted:

Oh its very confused Jacky bryant now.

LESS TALK MORE ACTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

hiddenriverninja posted:

Taking a break for a moment from trying to comprehend Ken, this evil ryu looks rad as loving hell