Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Every Christmas since as long as I can remember:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jzsKJvWiEI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Die Hard, Lion King, Aladdin. I could watch those movies any time of day and be entertained.

I loved all of these growing up, but when Aladdin came to VHS and I was 9 or 10, I watched it countless times. It is a bit different for kids today, our VHS collection was 20 movies and maybe half of that was anything a kid would want to watch, well before the age of streaming content.

The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King were such an incredible run of animated musicals. Pixar had a fairly impressive run for a while but I'm not sure they were churning out back to back instant classics for about 5 years.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Marketing New Brain posted:

I loved all of these growing up, but when Aladdin came to VHS and I was 9 or 10, I watched it countless times. It is a bit different for kids today, our VHS collection was 20 movies and maybe half of that was anything a kid would want to watch, well before the age of streaming content.

Yeah there was a point when I was coming home from school and watching Aladdin 3 at least once a day for a month or two, or like two episodes of Ninja Turtles on a random tape.. I can't even imagine what it's like to be a small child with access to a Netflix account.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

That honestly describes ASM to me. Can't wait to see Peter Parker's origin story a billionth time. At least with Batman it's often regulated to a short little scene of the Waynes walking out of a movie theater and into an alley to get gunned down. Sam Raimi nailed the Spider-man origin story... they cannot and will not surpass that first movie.

Wont the new one be set after Civil War, in which he's already a thing?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

According to the leaked emails Sony doesn't have merchandising rights so that might be what made them cancel everything.

Marvel / Disney keeps a really tight hold on the merchandising rights and revenue. That's the primary cause of the heat between them and Fox -- Fox desperately wanted to get a toy line and other merchandise out for Days of Future Past, and Marvel told them to pound sand.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Wont the new one be set after Civil War, in which he's already a thing?

The movie starts with Aunt May out and about in New York doing her daily groceries.

A shot rings out, and she falls to the ground.

Cut to a scene shot over the shoulder of a mysterious man in red with Spider-man begging him for help. Joe Quesada cackles faintly.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 3, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

TheKingofSprings posted:

The movie starts with Aunt May out and about in New York doing her daily groceries.

A shot rings out, and she falls to the ground.

Cut to a scene shot over the shoulder of a mysterious man in red with Spider-man begging him for help. Joe Quesada cackles faintly.

I'm fine with this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

computer parts posted:

According to the leaked emails Sony doesn't have merchandising rights so that might be what made them cancel everything.

Disney bought back Sony's percentage of the merchandising a few years ago, while I think giving up it's percentage from the Spider-Man movies. Marvel is currently strangling X-Men and Fantastic Four merchandise since Fox gets a piece of the merchandise while Marvel gets a 5% or something like that from the movies. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with Universal, who I think own solo movie rights to Hulk but not ensemble movie rights.

Meanwhile Marvel gets all the merchandising money from every Marvel movie, just as Time Warner gets all the merchandising money off DC movies. So even if the in house movies don't make as much at the box office, the company supplements it with money from the merchandising. If I remember that article posted a while back, between merchandising and product placement Batman vs Superman only had to make a couple hundred million domestic to be in the black without any foreign box office, rental, TV, or DVD/Blu Ray profit. Excluding "Hollywood Math" where the movie is a giant financial hole unless it makes all the money and not even financial tricks can keep the studio from having to pay taxes on the profits.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 3, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

Disney bought back Sony's percentage of the merchandising a few years ago, while I think giving up it's percentage from the Spider-Man movies. Marvel is currently strangling X-Men and Fantastic Four merchandise since Fox gets a piece of the merchandise while Marvel gets a 5% or something like that from the movies. I'm not sure exactly what the deal is with Universal, who I think own solo movie rights to Hulk but not ensemble movie rights.

I believe Universal only has distribution rights to any solo Hulk films. The Fox/Marvel merch deal is loving terrible. If memory serves Fox gets like 80% of anything film related and close to 50% of any FF and X toys because of some clause in the contracts that say the films bring heightened awareness to the properties.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

poo poo's just weird honestly. The budget was 250 mil and it is going to clear 700 mil internationally over the weekend. That seems like a moderate success but at the same time if it totally bottoms out from here that puts it in roughly the same spot as ASM2 which was considered such a disappointment that Sony cancelled their franchise plans and went groveling to Marvel. Then obviously as people have said there's merchandising but I'm sure there were studio projections which it would still be super bad to miss by too much. I also don't know how marketing cost factors into all of this (is it included in budget traditionally?) Certainly missing expectations is still a huge deal when you are planning this to be a decades long franchise starter.

The main problem here is that this notion of a 'franchise starter' is total bullshit.

With Spiderman, the Sony people were vying to create a 'shared universe' around Andrew Garfield: Garfield's villains, Garfield's dad, Garfield's aunt, etc. There was this presumption that Garfield 2 would be a megahit, and enthusiasm for it would carry over into all these other projects. They bought into the 'franchise starter' concept, and it was a bad gamble.

Dawn Of Justice doesn't do that. The franchise has already started with the Dark Knight films and Man Of Steel (which is, obviously, modeled after the Dark Knight films). In this context, Dawn Of Justice is a very minor film - which might seem like an odd thing to say, but there you there you have it. It's Dark Knight 5 or 6, depending on how you count these things. Wonder Woman's got hype and Suicide Squad's got Will Smith. They're going to do just fine.

Now, if you go back and look at the Marvel Studios films, the 'franchise starter' was Iron Man 1, and they followed that up with the loving Hulk 2 (retroactively incorporating Ang Lee's Hulk in the process).

So, line up the series:

Hulk -> Iron Man -> Hulk 2 -> Iron Man 2 -> Thor -> Captain America.

Dark Knight series -> Man Of Steel -> BVS -> Suicide Squad -> Wonder Woman -> Aquaman(?).

In terms of its placement, Batman V Superman is the Hulk 2 of the 'DCU' - and is, obviously, both a better film and far more of a hit. And there's simply no way that Suicide Squad is worse than Iron Man 2.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 3, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Rhyno posted:

I believe Universal only has distribution rights to any solo Hulk films. The Fox/Marvel merch deal is loving terrible. If memory serves Fox gets like 80% of anything film related and close to 50% of any FF and X toys because of some clause in the contracts that say the films bring heightened awareness to the properties.

I assume Fox are being colossal idiots and refusing to renegotiate the merchandising deal or any type of renegotiation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

I assume Fox are being colossal idiots and refusing to renegotiate the merchandising deal or any type of renegotiation.

I'd assume as much. I'd like to know if Deadpool falls into this because even prior to the film his poo poo was everywhere.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Suicide Squad could very well be absolute poo poo.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Suicide Squad could very well be absolute poo poo.

its gonna be win

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm more excited for Suicide Squad then I've been for almost any super hero movie, I think.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Hmm.. I was really excited for the Nolan bat sequels and the promise of an Avengers movie as teased in the Iron Man post credits, and I was excited for GOTG as well. When I was a kid I was excited for all sorts of other crap too. Thanks for reading.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

net cafe scandal posted:

I'm more excited for Suicide Squad then I've been for almost any super hero movie, I think.

Same.

What confuses people is, I think, the gap between the narrative and the economic side of things: "Superman is fighting Batman, and they reference like eight other heroes and villains, so obviously this is the most important movie ever!"

In actuality, they shoved all this viral marketing stuff into BVS because it's the unimportant one - guaranteed not to lose money. The studio let Snyder go hog wild with a hallucinogenic, three-hour R-rated director's cut based on his all-time favorite movie (1981's Excalibur). That's not what you do when your life depends on things.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 3, 2016

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Honestly, I'd expect the Superman and Batman merchandising to cover the entire movie and marketing all on their own with money to spare. I think both of them together is over half a billion a year without movies and poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gyges posted:

Honestly, I'd expect the Superman and Batman merchandising to cover the entire movie and marketing all on their own with money to spare. I think both of them together is over half a billion a year without movies and poo poo.

My tiny little comic book store has sold over $3500 worth of Batman and Superman stuff since the film opened. I would love to see the numbers of what Wal-mart is moving.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The main problem here is that this notion of a 'franchise starter' is total bullshit.

With Spiderman, the Sony people were vying to create a 'shared universe' around Andrew Garfield: Garfield's villains, Garfield's dad, Garfield's aunt, etc. There was this presumption that Garfield 2 would be a megahit, and enthusiasm for it would carry over into all these other projects. They bought into the 'franchise starter' concept, and it was a bad gamble.

Dawn Of Justice doesn't do that. The franchise has already started with the Dark Knight films and Man Of Steel (which is, obviously, modeled after the Dark Knight films). In this context, Dawn Of Justice is a very minor film - which might seem like an odd thing to say, but there you there you have it. It's Dark Knight 5 or 6, depending on how you count these things. Wonder Woman's got hype and Suicide Squad's got Will Smith. They're going to do just fine.

Now, if you go back and look at the Marvel Studios films, the 'franchise starter' was Iron Man 1, and they followed that up with the loving Hulk 2 (retroactively incorporating Ang Lee's Hulk in the process).

So, line up the series:

Hulk -> Iron Man -> Hulk 2 -> Iron Man 2 -> Thor -> Captain America.

Dark Knight series -> Man Of Steel -> BVS -> Suicide Squad -> Wonder Woman -> Aquaman(?).

In terms of its placement, Batman V Superman is the Hulk 2 of the 'DCU' - and is, obviously, both a better film and far more of a hit. And there's simply no way that Suicide Squad is worse than Iron Man 2.

This comparison is retarded and bad.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

You think so? I think it's good.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad as well but mostly due to the second trailer and the rumor that they're doing reshoots to lighten the tone. These DC movies are so loving dour and self-serious it borders on parody.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In actuality, they shoved all this viral marketing stuff into BVS because it's the unimportant one - guaranteed not to lose money. The studio let Snyder go hog wild with a hallucinogenic, three-hour R-rated director's cut based on his all-time favorite movie (1981's Excalibur). That's not what you do when your life depends on things.
I hope this is right. Snyder sacrificed narrative clarity to make a movie that has almost a dreamlike feeling to it. I can see what he was going for but it's such a poorly paced and edited mess. I hate the poo poo outta BvS.

Please fix some of these issues Directors Cut :pray:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nothing in the Incredible Hulk is connected to Hulk.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

It...actually kind of works.

Mostly how the one film ends the other begins

They're not literally sequels but yeah

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

It...actually kind of works.

Mostly how the one film ends the other begins

They're not literally sequels but yeah

Not really, the opening credits pretty much disconnect IH from H by changing the origin.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Rhyno posted:

Well I mean they both have the Hulk, that seems like a pretty strong connection

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

loving babies with, "omg where's the funnnnnn"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well I mean they both have the Hulk, that seems like a pretty strong connection

Eh, one is a doughy giant baby. The other is roided to hell and back. If audiences can understand different Spider-men they can understand different Hulks.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Are you a bad enough dude to like Zach Snyder movies?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Yaws posted:

I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad as well but mostly due to the second trailer and the rumor that they're doing reshoots to lighten the tone. These DC movies are so loving dour and self-serious it borders on parody.

I'm in the exact opposite boat. As far as I can tell, Suicide Squad is already hilarious, being that it features a crocodile man, swamp witch, katana-using street samurai literally named "Katana", etc. The actual quippy dialogue was probably the most grating and least funny part of the trailers I've seen.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

I'm in the exact opposite boat. As far as I can tell, Suicide Squad is already hilarious, being that it features a crocodile man, swamp witch, katana-using street samurai literally named "Katana", etc. The actual quippy dialogue was probably the most grating and least funny part of the trailers I've seen.

Yeah, Harley's dialog is awful, while boomerang drinking his beer is actually funny.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I suspect BvS underperforming is going to cause Suicide Squad to also not do well.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Yaws posted:

I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad as well but mostly due to the second trailer and the rumor that they're doing reshoots to lighten the tone.

It's already been confirmed by multiple cast members that this isn't happening.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Yaws posted:

I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad as well but mostly due to the second trailer and the rumor that they're doing reshoots to lighten the tone. These DC movies are so loving dour and self-serious it borders on parody.:

What's wrong with a movie taking itself seriously?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, Harley's dialog is awful, while boomerang drinking his beer is actually funny.

The worse Harley's dialogue is, the happier I'll be.

If they can work an honest to god "Mistah Jay" in there I'll piss in my seat.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

It's already been confirmed by multiple cast members that this isn't happening.

Noooo

Hope dashed

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

yeah who needs fun in a comic book movie

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Hat Thoughts posted:

What's wrong with a movie taking itself seriously?

It makes the audience feel bad about themselves when characters react to the destruction of an entire city with shock and horror rather than laughing it off with shawarma jokes. Mass murder via alien invasion should be a fun time for the whole family.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Daredevil series 1 does the 'reaction to destruction caused by heriocs' thing well while being both lighthearted and self serious at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

HIJK posted:

It makes the audience feel bad about themselves when characters react to the destruction of an entire city with shock and horror rather than laughing it off with shawarma jokes. Mass murder via alien invasion should be a fun time for the whole family.
This is gonna sound crazy, but maybe there's room for both styles?

• Locked thread