Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Oh I got your joke, I was just making sure you weren't a retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

El Hefe posted:

That's nothing, in England the EPL forces you to eat English food in their stadiums.

They also sell it in the lower leagues you elitist

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Shrapnig posted:

Inbev is actually Belgian...

It's basically all Brazilian, despite being a Belgian-American megacorp.

Could not get more football.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So why again is the World Cup in Qatar still happening after everything last year?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Grouchio posted:

So why again is the World Cup in Qatar still happening after everything last year?

Because they have a lot of money.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Serious answer, because if you were trying to bribe the outcome for an event that is a decade in the future you wouldn't pay the majority of those bribes initially, you would phase the bribe payments over a long period e.g. multimillion pound jobs for voters relatives, long term 'development' funding, etc. So their is to much for them to personally lose if the tournament is moved.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Grouchio posted:

To help visitors re-enact Moses being lost in the desert.

quote:

Around 500,000 fans are expected to land in Qatar to witness the 2022 World Cup, and not all of them will get to enjoy hotels and apartments.

Qatar may house thousands of football fans in Bedouin-style tents in desert areas close to stadiums during the 2022 World Cup amid growing concerns about a potential shortage of accommodation during the tournament.

quote:

"At the heart of this World Cup is a commitment to showcase the hospitality and friendship of the Middle East. As a result, we are actively researching the concept of supporters sleeping under the stars," a spokesperson for Qatar's World Cup Supreme Committee told Reuters without giving further details.

http://www.indiatimes.com/news/world/2022-world-cup-visitors-to-qatar-might-be-forced-to-live-in-the-desert-252483.html

EDIT: I see I'm way late on this, sorry.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 23, 2016

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Because 100% of FIFA is corrupt and so far about 1% of FIFA has been arrested or suspended and blamed for everything by the rest of them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

vyelkin posted:

Because 100% of FIFA is corrupt and so far about 1% of FIFA has been arrested or suspended and blamed for everything by the rest of them.
Well I suppose when reports of thousands of migrant worker deaths at Qatar come through in the next few years we'll have a new excuse to apprehend the highers up again. Or something.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Grouchio posted:

Because the people who made it happen were presidents and prime ministers, not members of fifa

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
The Amnesty International Qatar Report came out today.

From CNN.com:

"Qatar's migrant workers, mostly from South Asia, make up more than 90% of the country's workforce. Building for the 2022 World Cup is expected to peak in 2017, when the current workforce of 4,000 migrants on World Cup sites will jump to 36,000, according to FIFA."

From NBC News' article:

In a 52-page report (PDF), Amnesty said every one of the 231 construction and landscaping workers it interviewed — most of them from Bangladesh, India and Nepal — reported some sort of abuse, including:

- Squalid living conditions.
- Pay far below what had been promised.
- Pay not being distributed for months at a time.
- Refusal to issue or renew residence permits, opening workers to deportation.
- "Kidnapping" of workers by confiscation of their passports and refusal to issue exit permits.
- Threats to silence complaints.

So yeah, everything is still on track.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Why aren't the EU and USA imposing economic sanctions on Qatar for such blatant human rights violations?

seems to me like all these western countries are big ol' hypocrites.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

El Hefe posted:

Why aren't the EU and USA imposing economic sanctions on Qatar for such blatant human rights violations?

seems to me like all these western countries are big ol' hypocrites.

Its hard to say, but I would imagine being a petro-state with no access to toilet paper and a ruinning agreement with Qatar about export prices might influence your view.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
hahah byolante you are so dumb

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Not sure where El Hefe is from but a lot of southern Asia (the Arabian peninsula, Indian subcontinent and the islands of southeast Asia) either imports or exports these laborers. Its in no way unique to Qatar.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Every cruise is also filled with Indians, Indonesians, Pakistanis and the like and they get treated like absolute poo poo in horrible working conditions and yet when they dock in Miami or the French Riviera absolutely nothing happens and no investigations ever take place.

The US and EU are the world's biggest hypocrites.

JERFit
Dec 25, 2007

if someone said they'd give me money to play music + not have a job anymore I'd say NO
They absolutely are hef', you've got that right.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
I agree as well. The EU, specifically, should disband.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Panama Papers have apparently turned up new poo poo on FIFA : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35954640

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

julian assflange posted:

The Panama Papers have apparently turned up new poo poo on FIFA : http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35954640

and Messi lol

https://www.occrp.org/en/panamapapers/ethics-guru-ties-to-fifa-scandal/

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
http://panamapapers.sueddeutsche.de/articles/56fec130a1bb8d3c3495ae00/

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

After Messi's recent tax mess this is just about the least surprising thing that could have come up.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Excellent at football and fraud, Messi truly is the perfect FIFA representative.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

lol of course the member of the ethics committee is the one setting up everyones shell companies.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
poo poo, first commodities prices drop and now this. Uruguay's two biggest industries are going down.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Polidoro posted:

poo poo, first commodities prices drop and now this. Uruguay's two biggest industries are going down.

Uruguay's biggest industry is going down, if you know what I mean.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Wow. A day after being accused, he opens a different shell company. I'm sure this won't affect his case at all, no sir.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Messi has already denied all accusations and is planning on suing the papers who came up with this story so as you can see he's actually completely innocent.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

El Hefe posted:

Messi has already denied all accusations and is planning on suing the papers who came up with this story so as you can see he's actually completely innocent.

Serious question: If he was ever actually sentenced to prison by a judge in Madrid for any of this, how bad would the rioting be? The rhetoric/mistrust between Barcelona fans/citizens and what is seen as favoritism/corruption in favor of Real is already insane.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The case against him was moved to Barcelona iirc but there's no way the Spanish government would send Lionel Messi to jail anyway, Mascherano had to pay a poo poo load of money in fines and a suspended sentence, but he didn't actually had to serve any jail time.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Wow. A day after being accused, he opens a different shell company. I'm sure this won't affect his case at all, no sir.

How much money could there even be in this crap? You can get them free at any beach they just wash up on shore

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

How much money could there even be in this crap? You can get them free at any beach they just wash up on shore

I would imagine its like diamonds. You can just go with a shovel and dig some up. There is probably some civil war being funded by the shell trade.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Syncopated posted:

Uruguay's biggest industry is going down, if you know what I mean.

Lol

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

African AIDS cum posted:

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

African AIDS cum posted:

shell,

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

We got another one in the Panama Papers: http://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/apr/05/panama-papers-pull-fifa-uefa-chief-gianni-infantino-corruption-scandal

quote:

Files seen by the Guardian will raise questions about the role Fifa’s president, Gianni Infantino, played in deals that were concluded when he was director of legal services at Uefa, European football’s governing body.

According to records, Uefa concluded offshore deals with one of the indicted figures at the heart of an alleged “World Cup of fraud” despite previously insisting it had no dealings with any of them.

The emergence of the contracts from 2003 and 2006, which were co-signed by Infantino, link Uefa for the first time to one of the companies involved in the huge unfolding scandal that has brought down former Fifa president Sepp Blatter.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Fifa is the corrupted gift that keeps giving.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

It's like they've been stashing their corruption in offshore bank accounts earning big interest for a rainy day when their on-the-surface corruption runs low.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Good job fifa you made it a whole month before the next president gets drawn into a corruption scandal