Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Rurea posted:

Same thing but with bow and arrows

A bow flew through his window while he was trying to figure out how to fight crime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The original thing of Clint Barton being a skirt chasing carny who gave up his life of crime because he was inspired by Captain America was really good characterization. Stan Lee's dialog was clunky as hell but he had very clear ideas for characters.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The original thing of Clint Barton being a skirt chasing carny who gave up his life of crime because he was inspired by Captain America was really good characterization. Stan Lee's dialog was clunky as hell but he had very clear ideas for characters.

That does sound entertaining. And, yeah, I figured there'd be something like this, but to put it mildly, I don't think it comes across in the films in the character. As compared to, since Batman has been brought up, the bat demon that shows up in Batman Begins and Batman v Superman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
A hawk snatched his cat when he was a young boy and scarred him forever.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sir Kodiak posted:

That does sound entertaining. And, yeah, I figured there'd be something like this, but to put it mildly, I don't think it comes across in the films in the character. As compared to, since Batman has been brought up, the bat demon that shows up in Batman Begins and Batman v Superman.

Now this makes me want to rewatch the animated Batman: Year One again. I liked its depiction of Bruce being inspired by the bat.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I actually like the idea that anyone who's proficient with a stupid weapon gets to be an Avenger. It's very 'Mystery Men'.

Like, there's only one or two actual superheroes in the world, so they've resorted to bringing in some person with taser wristbands.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oh yeah, he's a total noncharacter in the movies. His character is former SHIELD employee who later becomes a Stark employee, to the point where the film takes a long break to show him having his boss over for a picnic.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I actually like the idea that anyone who's proficient with a stupid weapon gets to be an Avenger. It's very 'Mystery Men'.

Like, there's only one or two actual superheroes in the world, so they've resorted to bringing in some person with taser wristbands.

And a dude with robot wings.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Rurea posted:

And a dude with robot wings.

He also has goggles. Don't downplay the Falcon.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
In the new one he has a robot bird sidekick too.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Whizbang posted:

In the new one he has a robot bird sidekick too.

American Flag Soldier Man's sidekick is Drone Operator Man. Makes sense.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I liked that Hawkeye was basically Bullseye in the Ultimate universe, it was just surrounded by poo poo writing.

I also liked Bullseye in the Daredevil movie and thought that he + Kingpin were two of the most entertaining villains in Marvel movies that weren't Magneto.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I thought Colin Farrell was a lot of fun as Bullseye.

That part is is fun, though, of course, in Mystery Men, the Shoveler actually gets some dialog about what it means for him to use a shovel, how it aligns him with ordinary people who are "super good at their jobs but never get any credit."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Sir Kodiak posted:

That part is is fun, though, of course, in Mystery Men, the Shoveler actually gets some dialog about what it means for him to use a shovel, how it aligns him with ordinary people who are "super good at their jobs but never get any credit."

Oh absolutely. The thing to always keep in mind is that the Avengers are a supervillian team.

Like, they literally have a dude named "WAR MACHINE" now.

They're the bad guys.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

greatn posted:

The shield stuff is the worst part of Thor, and that takes place on earth. Him being a general idiot on earth is fine though.

The Shield stuff also contains Thor drop-kicking and then mud-wrestling a dude so it's actually the best part. It's a god reduced to the basest form of entertainment.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Oh absolutely. The thing to always keep in mind is that the Avengers are a supervillian team.

They're the bad guys.

All superheroes are "war machines"

Brainiac Five
Mar 28, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

All superheroes are "war machines"

For the period between 1946 and 1985, I don't think any superhero was a war machine. Certainly not many of them.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

They're the bad guys.
What yardstick are you using?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kurzon posted:

They have a guy called "War Machine", pay attention!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Kurzon posted:

Captain America represents America, the most villainous country of them all.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Grendels Dad posted:

The Shield stuff also contains Thor drop-kicking and then mud-wrestling a dude so it's actually the best part. It's a god reduced to the basest form of entertainment.

That guy should be an Avenger. OK maybe a great lakes Avenger.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Grendels Dad posted:

They have a guy called "War Machine", pay attention!

Actually he's called Iron Patriot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Whizbang posted:

Actually he's called Iron Patriot.

I'm pretty sure by AoU he's back to War Machine again. He should have gone for something entirely different though, I like it when superheroes have like five different names in their CV.

I suggest Terror Device, that sounds wholesome.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Personified Drone.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Wedding Bomber.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Extrajudicial Murder.

Wait, that's all of them.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Rhode Warrior.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
Those aren't comic book enough. It should be something obvious and slightly racist, like Afrobot.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If Captain America was black when first created, I suspect he wouldn't be a captain.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Electromax posted:

Captain America represents America, the most villainous country of them all.
But he's from WW2, the last time everyone agreed America did the right thing!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Kurzon posted:

But he's from WW2, the last time everyone agreed America did the right thing!

What's super-funny about this to me is they still had to make his WW2 enemies Double-Nazis.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

The MSJ posted:

If Captain America was black when first created, I suspect he wouldn't be a captain.

The comics did that already.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

broken clock opsec posted:

What's super-funny about this to me is they still had to make his WW2 enemies Double-Nazis.
German censors, maybe?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Who knows why they made the decisions they did at Marvel back in the 70s. At least the Daredevil show hasn't yet done the comic bit where the Hand ninjas are also Hydras. The movies also seemingly dropped the "AIM is Hydra's scientists" connection in Iron Man 3. There's still a lot of Hydra even in the movies though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interesting read

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

quote:

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments — maybe add a new producer? — rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

Many top industry executives believe the troubles with BvS are the latest sign of the instability created when Time Warner chairman and CEO Jeff Bewkes ousted Alan Horn as president in 2011. That set the stage for the infamous executive bake-off and the exit of Jeff Robinov, then head of the successful film group.

Ultimately, Bewkes promoted Tsujihara to the top Warners job and created a committee to run the film studio that includes president Greg Silverman and marketing and distribution chief Sue Kroll. It's fair to say things haven't gone so well since. (Warners' loss was Disney's gain, with Horn presiding over that studio as it has become dominant.)

In an era of turmoil and transformation, even competitors aren't eager to see a legacy studio like Warner Bros. struggle. Warners long has been known for its commitment to filmmaker- and star-driven projects, but sources see signs of a change in culture, though the studio denies there is one. Several executives and agents say Warners seems to be greenlighting fewer homegrown movies as it focuses on silos that echo those that generate so many hits for Disney (Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar and Disney Animation). In Warners' case, the silos are DC Comics, Lego and a planned franchise spun off from the Harry Potter series. Tsujihara has touted that trio as the linchpin of his film strategy, and now, much like Disney, has eschewed all but a few original live-action films. Overall, sources say there is an understanding Warners is aiming to release fewer homegrown films than the industry-leading 21 it did in 2015. The studio still will make some movies from "family" directors including Affleck, Clint Eastwood, Christopher Nolan and Todd Phillips. But the emphasis is elsewhere. One insider says the studio will remain a dominant distributor, but "when you get to almost a movie every other weekend or a period where there's a movie three weeks in a row, that's too much."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's no way they're going to make a move with Snyder, regardless of what critics are saying. This movie is going to make 800+ million dollars, and Snyder is already knee deep in Justice League stuff. To take him out and bring in another director mid-stream would be an even bigger potential disaster.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Electromax posted:

At least the Daredevil show hasn't yet done the comic bit where the Hand ninjas are also Hydras.

Well, Daredevil does show that the Hand has connections to Roxxon which, as we saw in Agent Carter, is closely tied to HYDRA at least as far back as 1946, so...

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

Let's say Hydra.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Oh
Wonder Woman is pushed up two weeks and two new untitled DC films are added to the slate

quote:

In DC cinematic universe news, Wonder Woman, which will star Gal Gadot (who made her debut in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice), is moving up from June 23, 2017, to June 2, 2017.

Warner Bros. also set dates for two of its now-untitled DC films: Oct. 5, 2018, and Nov. 1, 2019. These new dates are set for yet-to-be announced films and are in addition to the already set DC films, which include Suicide Squad (August 5, 2016), The Flash (March 16, 2018), The Justice League Part One (Nov. 17, 2017), Aquaman (July 27, 2018), Shazam! (April 5, 2019), Justice League Part Two (June 14, 2019) and Cyborg (April 3, 2020)

An untitled WB event film is slated for Oct. 6, 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

"PANIC EVERYTHING WILL BE DELAYED INDEFINITELY THE ENTIRE DCCU IS ON FIRE EVERYTHING AFTER JUSTICE LEAGUE IS IN QUESTION AND MIGHT BE CANCELLED!"

Oh oh wait a minute

• Locked thread