Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think it's mostly because of floe's rant that every top 8 will have a random mika and they ride off that meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

FordCQC posted:

Man why are all the stream monsters hating on Mika all of a sudden? So much hate for a mid-tier character.

Infiltration hates her and said that everyone he's talked to also hates her so that means it's okay for everyone else to also hate her.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
What I love about mika is that she'll do her slide, activate nadeshiko to cover her recovery, I'll hold up to evade the obvious throw mixup, and still get grabbed because of capcom's outrageous frame delay.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mika owns, grab(wo)mans own.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dracula Factory posted:

Man I wish Gief didn't suck rear end, I wonder how much better he would get if they just increased his movespeed about 20% or so. He has a lot of good moves, but you just have to work so hard to use them. And I think his V-trigger range should be buffed a lil.

To me it feels like he's just lacking a way to quickly get in. Just making his forward dash not suck rear end would go a long way, but giving him something like green palm would really be amazing. I think increasing his move speed overall would probably be too good, though.

His vtrigger needs a small buff, I think. It's super unsafe, to the point I've started it as someone is jumping in, and they're landed and command grabbed me before. That seems kind of wrong to me.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
It's so naively optimistic to hope for positive balance change or even character balance of any kind in a Capcom game, let alone this cheaply made Korean knock-off of a Capcom fighting game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I actually think the character balance in this game is one of its quiet strong points. I blame Woshige. It's still early, though

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

!Klams posted:

To me it feels like he's just lacking a way to quickly get in. Just making his forward dash not suck rear end would go a long way, but giving him something like green palm would really be amazing. I think increasing his move speed overall would probably be too good, though.

It's weird how Zangief has an obvious greenhand-shaped hole in his kit that makes him bad. I really hope they decide to add it back in when they do the balance pass at the end of the year rather than just making him move/dash faster.

I'm not sure why they removed it since his move list is short enough that having it doesn't make him too complicated, and it's obviously something his design needs to work. Just don't give the EX the exact same properties it had in SF4 and it should be okay. :shrug:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 7, 2016

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I actually think the character balance in this game is one of its quiet strong points. I blame Woshige. It's still early, though

No character is as good as vanilla Sagat or as bad as Dan/DeeJay so in that regard the balance is pretty good.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's weird how Zangief has an obvious greenhand-shaped hole in his kit that makes him bad. I really hope they decide to add it back in when they do the balance pass at the end of the year rather than just making him move/dash faster.

I'm not sure why they removed it since his move list is short enough that having it doesn't make him too complicated, and it's obviously something his design needs to work. Just don't give the EX the exact same properties it had in SF4 and it should be okay. :shrug:

Yeah. It feels to me (although I have no idea if it's true) like at some point he had it, but that at the same time his spd did way more damage. Then during play testing they removed the palm, but then also at some point lowered the damage. It just really feels like either there should be more payoff for managing to get in, or a way to get in. Not neither.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

!Klams posted:

Yeah. It feels to me (although I have no idea if it's true) like at some point he had it, but that at the same time his spd did way more damage. Then during play testing they removed the palm, but then also at some point lowered the damage. It just really feels like either there should be more payoff for managing to get in, or a way to get in. Not neither.

He seems really hard to balance. V-Trigger links off almost everything and you can ex air spd after for around 400 damage. His H.SPD still does about 1/4th of most character's life. He has possibly the best ult in the game.

If he has an easier way to get in, he could quickly become a very oppressive character. It'd be cool if absorbing a fireball with his F.HP increased his walk speed for a short time, or something like that.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Benson Cunningham posted:

He seems really hard to balance. V-Trigger links off almost everything and you can ex air spd after for around 400 damage. His H.SPD still does about 1/4th of most character's life. He has possibly the best ult in the game.

If he has an easier way to get in, he could quickly become a very oppressive character. It'd be cool if absorbing a fireball with his F.HP increased his walk speed for a short time, or something like that.

What is an ult

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

What is an ult

it means desperation move in white people

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Benson Cunningham posted:

My friend from work and I were talking about this. We both play Gief and were trying to figure out how to better him without breaking him or having to do the effort thing (which Capcom probably doesn't wanna do) of putting Banishing Flat back in. Only things we could figure out were poo poo like loving with his lariat and his cyclone. We figured they clearly thought his flexin' and projectile killing headbutt were his new tools to get in that they didn't need green hand but too many matchups devolve into take tons of white life and hope you can get in on them before they catch you with a lucky jab making all that effort you did worth nothing. I don't know if making his flexing a straight up parry would have worked better but it'd probably have been broken on activating the cyclone where it's infinite until your meter runs out. Basically we're both waiting with baited breath to see if they do anything at all for him but, as i've said before, I totally expect the only change they'll give him is a nerf to his jab SPD range just to gently caress with us.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Commissar Ken posted:

My friend from work and I were talking about this. We both play Gief and were trying to figure out how to better him without breaking him or having to do the effort thing (which Capcom probably doesn't wanna do) of putting Banishing Flat back in. Only things we could figure out were poo poo like loving with his lariat and his cyclone. We figured they clearly thought his flexin' and projectile killing headbutt were his new tools to get in that they didn't need green hand but too many matchups devolve into take tons of white life and hope you can get in on them before they catch you with a lucky jab making all that effort you did worth nothing. I don't know if making his flexing a straight up parry would have worked better but it'd probably have been broken on activating the cyclone where it's infinite until your meter runs out. Basically we're both waiting with baited breath to see if they do anything at all for him but, as i've said before, I totally expect the only change they'll give him is a nerf to his jab SPD range just to gently caress with us.

I assume the reason they took out green hand was because of the flex, but the white life you get by flexing as you get in is just too much, and headbutting a fireball gets rid of the fireball but it seems to get you like 2 inches closer when it's all said and done. I doubt they'll put green hand back in because that's way too much to expect from them, but I hope they do something because Sim vs. Gief is like 10-0 and that matchup alone makes me question my desire for the Gief.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Dracula Factory posted:

I assume the reason they took out green hand was because of the flex, but the white life you get by flexing as you get in is just too much, and headbutting a fireball gets rid of the fireball but it seems to get you like 2 inches closer when it's all said and done. I doubt they'll put green hand back in because that's way too much to expect from them, but I hope they do something because Sim vs. Gief is like 10-0 and that matchup alone makes me question my desire for the Gief.

Hah, yeah, head butting fireballs just feels like a taunt and a good sim is completely unassailable. I feel like making lariat move further towards them would probably do it, to be honest.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I do alright against dhalsim with gief, but this is only online 4000-7000lp EU dhalsims, not offline / tournament dhalsims. No idea what standard of play everyone else is on.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Wasn't there a site posted awhile back that had a bunch of matchup stats, and you could look up your player profile to see your win rates against different characters? I don't remember what it was called.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I'm not really good at fighting games in general. When I played SFIV, I felt like I had a pretty solid 'beginner' Cody developing and really enjoyed playing him, but I'm not super enthralled by any of the SFV roster. I tried Laura for a while but I don't know if I'm at the level of play yet to take advantage of the frame traps, cancels, and quick reads that it seems are the secret to her ground game.

If I wanted to work on some fundamentals but still have a familiar sort of rushdown style to Cody, is Ken a good place to start? Or should I just go back to Laura and put in the work? Someone else? I just don't want to play 1. Ryu or 2. a charge character.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I seem to get accidental supers when I'm trying to DP a LOT in SF5. I wonder if it happens due to input shortcuts because that doesn't really happen to me in other games.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

I seem to get accidental supers when I'm trying to DP a LOT in SF5. I wonder if it happens due to input shortcuts because that doesn't really happen to me in other games.

it wont happen if you end at 3 Like U Shud

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

They gave so many moves to Alex, maybe he should let his pal Zangief borrow a few of them

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

ellbent posted:

I'm not really good at fighting games in general. When I played SFIV, I felt like I had a pretty solid 'beginner' Cody developing and really enjoyed playing him, but I'm not super enthralled by any of the SFV roster. I tried Laura for a while but I don't know if I'm at the level of play yet to take advantage of the frame traps, cancels, and quick reads that it seems are the secret to her ground game.

If I wanted to work on some fundamentals but still have a familiar sort of rushdown style to Cody, is Ken a good place to start? Or should I just go back to Laura and put in the work? Someone else? I just don't want to play 1. Ryu or 2. a charge character.

Are you sure you don't wanna play Ryu? Because I think he plays a similar sort of offense in this game to what Cody did in 4. Otherwise, sure, do Ken or Karin.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

AnonSpore posted:

What is an ult

Sorry I've been playing a lot of League lately so I call everyones critical art an ult.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Gammatron 64 posted:

I get a lot of wall dives when I try do do a crouching kick attack immeduately after a side switch. It's very frustrating.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Every so often I'll get Tragedy Assault (623 P) when I want Super (214 214 PP) and it's a little baffling. I think I'm unintentionally putting a 3 in the middle, but still that's a ton of leniency on that input.

Edit: I'll also miss super sometimes because SF4 gave me the bad habit of inputting it as 21 214 PP. Thinking about it now, those two things are probably related.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Dias posted:

Are you sure you don't wanna play Ryu? Because I think he plays a similar sort of offense in this game to what Cody did in 4. Otherwise, sure, do Ken or Karin.

A lot of Cody mains like Durran and BJ Unchained switched to Necalli in SFV; I'd recommend him if not for the fact that he has a charge move that is often used as a combo ender.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
So I left the game alone for a while because it was just putting me in a bad mood, but I've been playing training mode against the cpu and actually starting to enjoy it even though I get my arse kicked.

My ID is PoisonJamSA if anyone wants to school me :)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

bhsman posted:

A lot of Cody mains like Durran and BJ Unchained switched to Necalli in SFV; I'd recommend him if not for the fact that he has a charge move that is often used as a combo ender.

how is that a hindrance. i mean especially if its used as a combo ender thats like the absolute easiest way to use any charge move just hold back while youre doing the combo its totally braindead

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

dhamster posted:

Wasn't there a site posted awhile back that had a bunch of matchup stats, and you could look up your player profile to see your win rates against different characters? I don't remember what it was called.

http://sfv.fightinggame.community/

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

how is that a hindrance. i mean especially if its used as a combo ender thats like the absolute easiest way to use any charge move just hold back while youre doing the combo its totally braindead

Because he said he specifically doesn't want to play a charge character. IMO just suck it up though charge is cool.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
I understand a lot of forms of whining from fg scrubs but I don't understand whining about charge moves.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

zangief's problem in this game isn't that he has trouble getting in, he simply doesn't do enough loving damage when he does

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Brosnan posted:

I understand a lot of forms of whining from fg scrubs but I don't understand whining about charge moves.

But I want immediate control over my inputs!!! *only uses DP shortcuts and drops them half the time*

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Brosnan posted:

I don't like playing charge on pad and always found it kinda awkward to "time" my specials, plus it leads to less mobility overall. I think most people that would rather not play charge characters have similar issues. There you go.

NecroMonster posted:

zangief's problem in this game isn't that he has trouble getting in, he simply doesn't do enough loving damage when he does

He also doesn't "stick" to you like he used to to make up for lack of damage. Mika is more terrifying up-close than Gief, and she has better approaching tools to boot.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Thanks for all the advice, I'll try to work on Necalli a little while I stick with learning Ken for now. None of the roster have really clicked with me yet.

And I don't really have anything against charge characters or charge moves, I'm just bad at pulling them off, especially under pressure; I'd be surprised if my success rate with ending a simple Chun-Li combo with SBK was anything higher than 25% even after sitting in Training for a while. Timing has never been one of my strengths.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ellbent posted:

Thanks for all the advice, I'll try to work on Necalli a little while I stick with learning Ken for now. None of the roster have really clicked with me yet.

And I don't really have anything against charge characters or charge moves, I'm just bad at pulling them off, especially under pressure; I'd be surprised if my success rate with ending a simple Chun-Li combo with SBK was anything higher than 25% even after sitting in Training for a while. Timing has never been one of my strengths.

Necalli is a really simple character to learn with then. He's very newb friendly.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Brosnan posted:

i only play charge characters in ST because doing moves in that game is too hard. and charge moves are always easier to do than motions... you get the advantage of basically having one button specials after you learn how to keep charging all the time

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

ellbent posted:

Necalli is actually pretty easy to learn; just go to training mode and work on these combos (I'm gonna use acronyms but let me know if you need more detail/explanations):

1. st.MP/MK -> cr.MP xx LP Disc's Guidance

This is your basic confirm combo; generally you'll want to use medium punch in neutral, but kick when closer or going for wakeup pressure. It's really useful because Disc pushes the opponent towards the corner and it gets a knockdown.

2. cr.HP xx MK Valiant Rebellion -> cr.MP xx LP Disc's Guidance

This is your punish combo (though sometimes the cr.HP will crush counter and send people flying; you can start it with st.HK for the crush counter and then go into the above combo); as before, it does decent damage and pushing the opponent into the corner.

3. cr.MK xx LK Valiant Rebellion xx Super

This is a painfully easy combo into Super; it's great for catching people who aren't blocking low with into a good chunk of damage.

Here is a video detailing some Necalli combos (be sure to check the description for a pastebin link with more information); he's also done one for Ken.

Don't be shy about asking questions, either. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008