Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

teagone posted:

Yes, yes. It's a single line of dialogue that exerts multiple facets of the character not just through the meaning of the words, but also in the way they are delivered. That's why I think it's good! Why do you think it's bad?

"sarcastic and confident [...] while also being a badass" isn't really multiple facets of a character. I also don't see how you're getting uncertainty from the line, unless you think the mere presence of a question in a line denotes a character's uncertainty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Luke is a redneck muscle car snob, the fact that he calls the Falcon a hunk of junk is not THAT telling. It was important that Leia back it up later. The Falcon is a beat up-looking pickup truck and it doesn't look better with age.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Sir Kodiak posted:

What is the deal with Rey calling the Millennium Falcon garbage? Like, she's done work on it, so it can't be ignorance. But, in the OT, it's a dope ship, and this is carried through to TFA with it fighting off the tie fighters and jumping inside the shields of Starkiller. When she learns what ship it is, she's impressed with the ship having done the Kessel Run in whatever, not Han Solo (though she's also impressed to meet him). Doesn't seem to add up.

If somebody left a ship unattended with the door wide open and apparently no kind of code or key needed to activate it, in a city full of criminals, not even blocked off by a low fence, then I too would assume it wasn't very valuable.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't mean "the audience" as a whole - I was talking about the kind of audience member who will complain about a movie for 15 years. Because for some reason certain audience members (let's call them "nerds") have been obsessed with these movies for a decade. Who actually "express their dislike of these movies for over 15 years"? If you think about that objectively, it's completely insane. Normal people don't complain about a movie series long enough between age demographics, let alone a bad movie series. It's psychotic.

because only NEERRDDS dislike the prequels? you cant just be an average joe who happens to know poo poo when he sees it?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Helsing posted:

If somebody left a ship unattended with the door wide open and apparently no kind of code or key needed to activate it, in a city full of criminals, not even blocked off by a low fence, then I too would assume it wasn't very valuable.

She's done work on it and has detailed opinions about how it should be configured to best perform, I'm not sure why she'd need to be making assumptions.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Star Wars Thread: Parking in Space

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I don't mean "the audience" as a whole - I was talking about the kind of audience member who will complain about a movie for 15 years. Because for some reason certain audience members (let's call them "nerds") have been obsessed with these movies for a decade. Who actually "express their dislike of these movies for over 15 years"? If you think about that objectively, it's completely insane. Normal people don't complain about a movie series long enough between age demographics, let alone a bad movie series. It's psychotic.
This presupposes that there are people for whom their entire life is taken up by hating the prequels. In reality, there are really just people who, when they are brought up (which happens from time to time in a thread about star wars) say that they don't like them (although, usually, more hyperbolic than that). If you mention Radio, I'm gonna say it was awful, but that doesn't mean I've been stewing about Radio for the last 10 years. That I indeed am consumed by my hatred of Radio.

I mean, I am, but you can't necessarily infer that from me saying I dislike it when brought up.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I wouldn't say obsessed. The Star Wars Prequels are some of the worst movies ever made, but their flaws are both obvious and fun to riff on. I doubt anyone here actually cares anymore that they turned out the way they did. The negative backlash did cause Lucas to step away from the series and get some competent hands on it too.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

If we're lucky Rogue One will be the Star Wars equivalent of old euro war trash like Kommando Leopard and I will love every minute of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UsnzdC6HJ0

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Prequels are still culturally relevant. We quote them, we analyze them, we make fun of them, some even pay hommage to them.

I somewhat doubt that the new trilogy will achieve that level of relevance, but we'll see.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Alucard Nacirema posted:

Isn't Rey's theme and Jedi steps basically the same song?

Not exactly, John Williams has the two blend together.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Sir Kodiak posted:

What is the deal with Rey calling the Millennium Falcon garbage? Like, she's done work on it, so it can't be ignorance. But, in the OT, it's a dope ship

It's garbage in the OT and its capabilities are questioned by everyone who isn't Han Solo.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Race Realists posted:

because only NEERRDDS dislike the prequels? you cant just be an average joe who happens to know poo poo when he sees it?

An "average joe" isn't going to hate a movie and discuss how much they hate it for over a decade. You need someone who combines slight critical interest with an almost total lack of critical awareness, and who views every entry in a movie franchise as some monumental Event.

Yaws posted:

The Star Wars Prequels are some of the worst movies ever made

I don't think you've seen many movies.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 8, 2016

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Yaws posted:

I wouldn't say obsessed. The Star Wars Prequels are some of the worst movies ever made, but their flaws are both obvious and fun to riff on.
Yeah I gotta agree with the genlteperson above. I don't think you know what's actually out there in the world with respect to bad movies. May I introduce you to the work of Godfrey Ho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqZMjsQGLbw

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

It's garbage in the OT and its capabilities are questioned by everyone who isn't Han Solo.

Ya, even Lando referred to it as the fastest hunk of junk in the Galaxy and he used to own it. Which isn't questioning it'd capabilities as much as confirming that it's visibly a heap of garbage that can fly like crazy when she's put to the test.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 8, 2016

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I don't think you've seen many movies.

When you consider all the elements of a film. Acting, pacing, dialogue, characters etc. I do think the Star Wars prequels are up there with the worst big budget mainstream movies. Like, I guess something like Manos is worse but that's not much of an accomplishment.

If The Phantom Menace was released without the OT before it (and geeks slavish devotion to the series) it would have been a critical and financial disaster. There simply wouldn't have been an AotC or RotS.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Yaws posted:

When you consider all the elements of a film. Acting, pacing, dialogue, characters etc. I do think the Star Wars prequels are up there with the worst big budget mainstream movies.

How does the prequels being big budget and mainstream change the standards applied? e: with that amount of money, you're almost inevitably going to get something right, which is why the worst big-budget blockbuster is usually watchable.

And the prequels you have the phenomenon where people criticize them for things they love in the OT - cheesy dialogue, "fake" special effects, goofiness, etc. What's loved in the OT is hated in the PT.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 8, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yaws posted:

When you consider all the elements of a film. Acting, pacing, dialogue, characters etc. I do think the Star Wars prequels are up there with the worst big budget mainstream movies.

You haven't seen a lot of big budget mainstream movies.

Like let's just take a contemporary example to the PT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHaarxQTFk

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Yaws posted:

If The Phantom Menace was released without the OT before it (and geeks slavish devotion to the series) it would have been a critical and financial disaster. There simply wouldn't have been an AotC or RotS.

Nah there's plenty going on in that movie that would have made it a critically panned but still successful cult classic.

It's just in the existing set of star wars films a lot of folks were like what's this poo poo

Even poo poo movies now make everything back once they go international... Not sure about 1999 but it could have had sequels. Lots of worse movies get them

hhhat fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 8, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

You haven't seen a lot of big budget mainstream movies.

Like let's just take a contemporary example to the PT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYHaarxQTFk

AOTC is the only prequel nominated for Worst Picture in Golden Raspberry Awards (Swept Away won). There's plenty of nominations for AOTC and ROTJ, though.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

How does the prequels being big budget and mainstream change the standards applied?

I don't think it's fair to compare something that has a massive budget like the Star Wars prequels to something like, I dunno, Miami Connection.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

G-III posted:

Yeah I gotta agree with the genlteperson above. I don't think you know what's actually out there in the world with respect to bad movies. May I introduce you to the work of Godfrey Ho?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqZMjsQGLbw

Godfrey Ho owns.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Another contemporary big budget film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uZRYO8BcL4

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This scene is funny. It has John Cleese in it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Yaws posted:

This scene is funny. It has John Cleese in it.

Too bad the scene is in one of the lesser Bond-movies (and that's saying something).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yaws posted:

When you consider all the elements of a film. Acting, pacing, dialogue, characters etc.

Those aren't all the elements of a film: those are the core elements of a stage play.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Wild Wild West and Wing Commander and somehow a $65 million version of My Favorite Martian released the same year as Phantom Menace, but sure let's pretend that this Star Wars prequel was one of the worst movies ever made, let alone anywhere near the (lack of) quality in those pictures. Hell, somehow romantic comedy Forces of Nature cost $75 million to make and is goddamn terrible.

Seriously, how do you spend more than $20 million on a remake of a kitschy 60s TV show?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
A 1998 film

A 2002 film

A 2006 film

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's because the TFA characters are constantly yelping excitedly and hugging eachother. The things they actually say and do are irrelevant in the face of this combo of enthusiasm and presexual intimacy.

It's like how Sonic The Hedgehog has really large eyes and loves to eat chili dogs. That's the draw, for his fanbase.

Is this a part of your whole "not believing in love/emotions" thing again.

You're essentially saying "the audience appreciates physical interaction between friends over standing by windows or sitting at couches" in a (forgive the cliche) very autistic and/or sterile way.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The reason the PT gets more blowback than any of those movies is a combination of expectations for the films, prior consensus, and detractors realizing they aren't as insignificant in number as they thought they were. Nobody believes 98 Godzilla is a good movie nor is it a large part of nerd culture. Just about every star wars nerd has at one point made fun of Anakin's hatred of sand or love of spinning, even before any publicized youtube reviews.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Neurolimal posted:

The reason the PT gets more blowback than any of those movies is a combination of expectations for the films, prior consensus, and detractors realizing they aren't as insignificant in number as they thought they were.

So yes, not the content of the movies. Which is to say, the blowback is not based on critical evaluation.

Also see how the influence of RLM: people discovered new criticisms! Again, it shows that the blowback is not based on critical evaluation.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 8, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah like I know technically TFA is supposed to be a "bad movie" because it's similar to A New Hope one of the raddest movies ever made and that's a terrible thing for some reason but even if it adhered to ANH even more closely I'd still love it just from the characters and their chemistry.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

The Cameo posted:

Wild Wild West and Wing Commander and somehow a $65 million version of My Favorite Martian released the same year as Phantom Menace, but sure let's pretend that this Star Wars prequel was one of the worst movies ever made, let alone anywhere near the (lack of) quality in those pictures. Hell, somehow romantic comedy Forces of Nature cost $75 million to make and is goddamn terrible.

Seriously, how do you spend more than $20 million on a remake of a kitschy 60s TV show?

In regards to Wing Commander, that one at least is held aloft by being fun to watch and riff on. In it's own way, it's an immensely watchable movie. By contrast, the Star Wars prequels have almost nothing to offer. Their flaws are well documented (and irrefutable) but in the end they're just dull as dishwater. Made by a man long past his prime. Like an athlete who should have retired years ago, you see flashes of the ways things were but it's clear the talent is long gone.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

The Cameo posted:

I actually saw wing commander because it had the star wars trailer on it. In those days we didn't have instant YouTube's like you kids today with your iPads or whatever.

Wing commander was awesome. The crowd turned that poo poo into a real live mst3k show. We had a lot of fun.

Phantom menace on the other hand we were kind of stunned into silence. Expectations did not meet delivery. Worst film ever of course not. Disappointing? You betcha.

Bad film in the thread about star wars films though? Yeah in my opinion it needed way more work. Could have been good, could have been great.

Worst star wars film? Nope I saw the ewok movie too. Diabetus on vhs. Oh God the pain.

Tfa wasn't perfect but dammit i had so much fun watching it. I'm still generally happy with how things are going and the trailer is still pretty dope. Is there a handy calendar like Marvel put out where we can see what movies are when? Guessing solo solo movie is December 2018?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

So yes, not the content of the movies. Which is to say, the blowback is not based on critical evaluation.

Also see how the influence of RLM: people discovered new criticisms! Again, it shows that the blowback is not based on critical evaluation.

Everything is judged within its context. Len Kabazinski movies are awful, but appreciated for their sheer determination and amateur enthusiasm, as an example.

You're essentially demanding that every film be judged and focused in accordance to its value within a lifeless and timeless vacuum.

It's also absurd to attack critical opinions for adopting critiques they did not themselves notice, then turn around and claim that people who hate the PT are idiots for not appreciating elements the films did not successfully convey to them.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 8, 2016

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I wouldn't say they are the worst films ever. Not counting poo poo b-movies, things like Jack and Jill (anything recent by Sandler really), Paul Blart, etc. are trash.

But they are some of the most disappointing movies. All the pieces are there but it just doesn't work for me or a lot of other people.

At least the soundtracks are nice... I listened to them a bunch when building the Lego Slave 1 and I liked hearing the songs again. They belong to better movies. Like Across the Stars is so goddamn GOOD - but the actual romance is poo poo and forced.

The RLM stuff was giving people more things to point at instead of, "IT STINKS!". It sounds hyperbolic as gently caress but those reviews were pretty important....

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 8, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah like I know technically TFA is supposed to be a "bad movie" because it's similar to A New Hope one of the raddest movies ever made and that's a terrible thing for some reason but even if it adhered to ANH even more closely I'd still love it just from the characters and their chemistry.

TFA would be better if it conformed more closely to ANH (i.e., if it actually justified the Laser Moon in the third act).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

TFA would be better if it conformed more closely to ANH (i.e., if it actually justified the Laser Moon in the third act).

It does; thematically, it's the grand clash between the prior generation (channeled through the Young Republicans) and the new generation (the Resistance). It sees a weightless and quick end because the primary statement of the film is a critique of clinging to the past and ignoring new developments.

I do agree that it could have been better though; they shouldn't have cut the Resistance superweapon. It would have presented a clearer visual statement, of the fortified, derivative, ancient Death Star being penetrated and demolished by the unique and fresh Life Missile.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yaws posted:

In regards to Wing Commander, that one at least is held aloft by being fun to watch and riff on. In it's own way, it's an immensely watchable movie. By contrast, the Star Wars prequels have almost nothing to offer. Their flaws are well documented (and irrefutable) but in the end they're just dull as dishwater. Made by a man long past his prime. Like an athlete who should have retired years ago, you see flashes of the ways things were but it's clear the talent is long gone.

Jesus Christ.

Look, it's okay to not like a movie for whatever reason, we all have different tastes and look for different stuff in movies. But posts like this show a clear lack of understanding of moviemaking and what makes movies good (or bad) that I have to believe it's some kind of joke.

The prequels have a poo poo-ton of stuff to offer and their flaws are neither irrefutable or well documented. We keep arguing about them to this day because they are quite refutable and not so well documented. If you really think this you are a moron. I don't think you're a moron, so please stop using stupid hyperbole when saying "I did't like the movie because it didn't give me what I wanted" would get the point across way better.

This is why Prequel Haters aren't taken seriously: they say stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
I have to point out that the soundtracks for the prequels are loving amazing

I also really like Doug chaings art direction. The design work was fantastic.

• Locked thread