Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Darko posted:

Nolan read every "important" Batman book, obviously, as all of the trilogy contain various aspects from those, put together.

For instance, DKR is a mix of Knightfall, No Man's Land, adds in some of the Bane/League connection from other books, etc. The combination of those things creates a different type of outcome at the end, yes, but you can clearly see they're created by someone that read and understood the material.

Nolan basically read the material and, unlike many people who read it and said, "this guy is awesome," he said, "this guy sucks and needs to grow up" and made his movies about that. People that read it as the former don't understand their "awesome" character being displayed as an ineffectual manchild, and hate the movie that stresses this the most.

The AICN review of Dark Knight Rises is hilarious for this. I think like 2/3 of the review is about how this isn't the ***REAL*** Batman because he quit being Batman and because he was defeated by Catwoman easily and by Bane easily. Uh.....

IIRC besides obviously familiarizing himself with the major stories, Batman Begins REALLY feels a lot like the animated series to me. There are a few brief moments too like the shot of Scarecrow's cronies poisoning the water supply in the asylum basement that's like 1:1 from a Scarecrow episode of the TAS. The sickly yellow and and green coloring whenever they're nearing or in the asylum, it's really cool looking and as a big fan of TAS' it really stuck me as awesome how much the film looks like a live action version of its sense of color.

Also of course the microwave emitter is the dehydrator from Batman: The Movie. Bruce Wayne isn't handed a newspaper at the end of the movie, it's thrown to the ground and spins out at him just like in the same movie and series. And of course DKR's final act is "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb." with a huge budget. The Nolan trilogy begins and ends with Batman: The Movie.

I also appreciated the take on the Joker in The Dark Knight because it was very very similar to his earliest appearances where his entire thing was "If I don't get ____ thing then ____ very important person will die at ____ time." and he had some crazy way to pull off the assassination no matter what because by announcing it ahead of time people would get super paranoid about having traditional protection and ignore the stupid ways in which he would actually end up doing it.

In general I'm really impressed with how the three Nolan flicks are both a great criticism of Batman as a concept while simultaneously celebrating many different takes on the character in just three movies.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The MSJ posted:

That reminds me. The funniest Man of Steel video I remember was someone playing the sound of people screaming in pain over the aftermath of the Metropolis battle. It was like the offspring of Loose Change, the 9/11 truther movie, and Silent Scream, the anti-abortion video where a fetus screams in pain as it is being cut apart. It’s as if the video was saying that the people who hate Superman for ‘destroying’ Metropolis are either conspiracy nutjobs or extremist conservatives.

Sounds pretty funny

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The MSJ posted:

That reminds me. The funniest Man of Steel video I remember was someone playing the sound of people screaming in pain over the aftermath of the Metropolis battle. It was like the offspring of Loose Change, the 9/11 truther movie, and Silent Scream, the anti-abortion video where a fetus screams in pain as it is being cut apart. It’s as if the video was saying that the people who hate Superman for ‘destroying’ Metropolis are either conspiracy nutjobs or extremist conservatives.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhyno posted:

That stupid poo poo when all the cops crawled out of the sewers with no ill effects and were able to fight Bane's army. gently caress TDKR.
The scene that really suspends my disbelief was future Hall of Famer Hines Ward out running an imploding football field

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Bedshaped posted:

Nolan is not really a great action director, especially close combat, something Sneider does very well.

Even though it's a trailer compare this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhn8VVtrfDk&t=113s

with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX_iASz1Si8&t=17s

It's night and day. Still a shitter movie though.

Nolan got massively criticised for the "incoherent" fight scenes in BB, IIRC. Not to mention the endless internet reposting of the fight scenes in DKR.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, Nolan got torn up for those Begins action scenes.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I loved the JGL sublot in TDKR

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

People really missed the point of those Begins fight scenes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It was part of a general backlash about shaky cam because of Michael Bay. I couldn't helieve how many people were saying they cold couldn't follow the action at all.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

It was part of a general backlash about shaky cam because of Michael Bay. I couldn't helieve how many people were saying they cold couldn't follow the action at all.

Transformers wouldn't come out for another two years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That's more of a Bourne thing than Bay, the problem with Transformers was not that you couldn't see the action, the problem was that you had no idea what you were looking at because the design of the characters was so busy.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The Bourne movies and other, shitter movies beat the shaky cam dead horse too much and Begins kept on that path.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

With Transformers 4 I was mostly annoyed by the constant aspect ratio changes. It's fine if you do it for certain scenes (The Dark Knight) or as a stylistic choice (The Grand Budapest Hotel), but if it happens constantly with no rhyme or reason it just is baffling.

It's like with the Star Wars prequels when you noticed that they were going to use every single loving wipe effect.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 8, 2016

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Bourne movies did shaky cam perfectly. Its their imitators that hosed it up. Greengrass is fantastic.

EDIT: Like look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7UOLUMoqJQ

It's like you're in the middle of it. No comic book movie has reached this level yet.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shageletic posted:

The Bourne movies did shaky cam perfectly. Its their imitators that hosed it up. Greengrass is fantastic.

It's like you're in the middle of it. No comic book movie has reached this level yet.

I'm glad someone else said it. Greengrass really knows what the hell he's doing. One thing I always forget is how terrible the foley is in these movies. They're like cartoon sound effects.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mierenneuker posted:

It's like with the Star Wars prequels when you noticed that they were going to use every single loving wipe effect.

That's a feature, not a bug.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

A feature that bugged the hell out of me.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

People really missed the point of those Begins fight scenes.

What was the point?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

McCloud posted:

What was the point?

That you were supposed to be as disoriented as Batman's foes, presumably.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

McCloud posted:

What was the point?

Bruce Wayne was adopted and his real name is Daisy Johnson.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That you were supposed to be as disoriented as Batman's foes, presumably.

Basically. The fights were from their point of view. They weren't set up to show a man in a rubber suit fighting people. They're shot to give the feeling of being hunted by a strange creature.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Shageletic posted:

Get Greengrass to direct a Jon Bernthal Punisher movie. Or something with lots of fist-fighting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

Basically. The fights were from their point of view. They weren't set up to show a man in a rubber suit fighting people. They're shot to give the feeling of being hunted by a strange creature.

I totally buy it, given that every single unobscured/well-lit shot of Batman in the next two movies makes him look like a total goon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The dock scene especially is set up like the first attack in Aliens but with Batman as the monster.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The first fight scene in Batman Begins is forgivable, because yea its supposed to be disorienting as if you're one of the mooks he's hunting. But Batman fights a bunch of ninjas later in the movie and you still can't see poo poo or understand why these guys are going down like a sack of potatoes. The problem continues on for the next two movies, we very rarely get to see Batman throw and land any kind of blow in the same shot. Certainly nothing even close to what Affleck does in that trailer.

Quantum of Solace is another movie that had a lot to do with the backlash against shakey cam finally coming to a head. The action in that movie is completely incomprehensible.

That Bourne vs. Desh scene is a perfect example of how it can be done right though. Yea the camera is shaking, but for the most part both actors are in the shot. When there is a close-up its followed by a wider shot so that the audience can reestablish the geography of the scene.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It can't be used as an excuse not to do choreography.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Counterpoint: the first Bane fight is awesome, well-lit, well-shot, has good foley work, distinct character moments, callbacks to prior films, and incorporates both the participants' state of mind and personalities.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Counterpoint: the first Bane fight is awesome, well-lit, well-shot, has good foley work, distinct character moments, callbacks to prior films, and incorporates both the participants' state of mind and personalities.

Mostly obscured, but yeah, I agree, as far as fight scenes go, it's the high point of the entire series.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shakeycam wouldn't have worked with this fight, or any of the other fights in TDKR because the movie was about demystifying Batman and Bruce's disillusionment.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it is soured a bit by the atrocious dialogue though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Its the one exception in all three movies, and I'd even say that's being generous. A lot of the effectiveness of the scene comes from the sound design(the blows really sound like they have major impact), and Bale's performance. I think its my favorite scene of his Batman because he's just so unhinged and seems almost scared that he's not able to take Bane down.

Its still not a very clearly shot action scene, it just looks good in comparison to most of the others in the trilogy.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's relatively minor, but just in case people were wondering when Daredevil might show up in the MCU...

quote:

But don't look for Daredevil or Luke Cage. While it would make sense that the street level heroes of the Netflix shows would meet up with the web-slinger it seems that it's easier to make a deal between Disney and Sony than it is between Marvel movies and TV. I have talked to numerous people on both sides of the divide and have been told, by every single one, to not hold your breath on any kind of serious crossovers. Yes, it would be great - perfect, even - for Daredevil to pop up in Spider-Man, but it's almost certainly not going to happen. My sources tell me that the roadblock remains, as ever, Ike Perlmutter, who got shunted out of Marvel movies and now oversees the TV and comics side of things.

Perlmutter strikes again!

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/08/the-mcu-will-cross-over-into-spider-mans-solo-movie

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What's wrong with the world that Nic Cage was not cast as Dr. Strange?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Nothing, if they're saving him to play Dr. Strange villain.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Everybody is just biding their time until Ghost Rider brings Captain America back from hell during Infinity War or whatever. Nothing is going to stop it.

He went to hell for swearing that one time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cage as Ghost Rider should absolutely pop up in a post credits scene at some point.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

benedict cumberbunch is good, and will probably be a good doctor strange

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shageletic posted:

I don't want to be there though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

Cage as Ghost Rider should absolutely pop up in a post credits scene at some point.

He's gonna show up and single handedly kick Thanos' rear end then ride off into the sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

He's gonna show up and single handedly kick Thanos' rear end then ride off into the sunset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx8ob0BAkOs

• Locked thread