Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

RuanGacho posted:

This is tiny hands level of pettiness really.

Next Obama will release a PAC video about how Barkley isn't so great because he said Obama doesn't dunk like a pro.

Except one has something to do with local politics and job creation and one is you coming up with some stupid example that has nothing to do with politics.

The woman accused Rick Scott of not creating jobs as a governor and that ad flatly trounced that claim, period.

Gyges posted:

The ad claims that everyone in Florida has a great job except for those sitting around in coffee shops. It is a level so beyond pants on fire lying that there is no cutesie linguistic phrase for it in any human language.

The ad is poking fun at this one lady who apparently doesn't have a good job and is therefore yelling at the governor over her problems, but she's trying to apply her situation to the entire area to make the governor look bad but her claims are not backed up by fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

comes along bort posted:

It's only a county court ruling. I wouldn't get my hopes up.

And it was ruled unconsitutional under the state constitution only.

RTW is explicitly allowed by federal law. Some retard did a retarded thing and is about to get stomped on when a higher court remands his/her poo poo.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Aerox posted:

Apparently there is a secret movement by GOP billionnaires to run a retired general known as the *~*~*WARRIOR MONK*~*~*~ if Trump manages to get the nomination.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/08/the-secret-movement-to-draft-general-james-mattis-for-president.html

lol oh god please let them go through with this.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Aerox posted:

Apparently there is a secret movement by GOP billionnaires to run a retired general known as the *~*~*WARRIOR MONK*~*~*~ if Trump manages to get the nomination.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/04/08/the-secret-movement-to-draft-general-james-mattis-for-president.html

Hey, I've seen this episode already.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/718564056995639297

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Joementum posted:

From a Klan wedding in Tennessee last year. The dog's robe is a nice touch. See more in this photo essay.

Not sure this is the advertising Coca Cola is looking for.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Aerox posted:

Bring it the gently caress on

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Aerox posted:

Has anyone told these billaionaires that this is a stupid loving idea? How would a random general nobody has heard of running third party make any kind of difference at all in the general?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kro-Bar posted:

Has anyone told these billaionaires that this is a stupid loving idea? How would a random general nobody has heard of running third party make any kind of difference at all in the general?

Nobody can tell a billionaire anything. If you're so smart, why aren't you rich like them?

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

(What's the origin of this meme btw? I don't get it.)

Forums user Fox Ironic.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kro-Bar posted:

It'd waste a lot of their money. That'd be funny, at least.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Aerox posted:

The Business Plot Mark II: Spend More Gooder

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kro-Bar posted:

Look, the only way their billionaire money will get into circulation outside of their own sick pleasure dens is if they throw it away trying to prop up some who-gives-a-gently caress to be the next Mitt Romney last stop for Trump. If the Trust Fund babies want to throw their money into the economy, let them.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Uranium Phoenix posted:

It's a bit pedantic to talk about definitions, but generally I associate "leftism" in the broadest sense with the empowerment of labor, while "right wing" generally refers to more authoritarian things and generally supports capital, oligarchies, or dictatorships. I try to make a distinction between "leftism" and "liberalism"; historically, liberalism has been about individual rights, and is, in other countries, often synonymous with the conservative parties (eg Australia). In the US, people tend to use "liberal" to mean leftist, but there are a lot of differences.

Yeah, hence the can of worms in my post. A lot of it comes down to "well what the hell do these politcal terms even mean, exactly".

Personally I think your take on right and left wing sounds a little too close to "I associate leftism with good things and right wing with bad things" for my comfort, but to be fair the way I define them is admittedly so broad and vague it's probably not even useful to most people: generally the right wing is about individual interests and the left is about collective interests (like you, I also try to keep 'liberal' and 'left' discrete).

So yeah, if we take right-wing to mean 'authoritarian' it will be really hard to come up with any satisfying examples in modern times. If we take right-wing to be 'liberal' in the classical sense, you might have to go back a ways to times when there was more explicit discriminatory government policy against minorities, but it's do-able.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Aerox posted:

Is half way through a Presidential campaign really the time to go for that triple class?

Amergin posted:

Except one has something to do with local politics and job creation and one is you coming up with some stupid example that has nothing to do with politics.

The woman accused Rick Scott of not creating jobs as a governor and that ad flatly trounced that claim, period.

The ad is poking fun at this one lady who apparently doesn't have a good job and is therefore yelling at the governor over her problems, but she's trying to apply her situation to the entire area to make the governor look bad but her claims are not backed up by fact.

None of her claims were flatly trounced. Rick Scot is objectively horrible, and while I'm quite sure that someone within ear shot of her yelling at Rick Scott had a good job(it's Rick Scott) the gist of her rant holds true. Hell, the ad doesn't even claim that Rick Scott added jobs, just that while he was governor 9.300 jobs were added to the area.

Please don't try and defend Rick Scott, he's very close to literally the worst.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Gyges posted:

None of her claims were flatly trounced. Rick Scot is objectively horrible, and while I'm quite sure that someone within ear shot of her yelling at Rick Scott had a good job(it's Rick Scott) the gist of her rant holds true. Hell, the ad doesn't even claim that Rick Scott added jobs, just that while he was governor 9.300 jobs were added to the area.

Please don't try and defend Rick Scott, he's very close to literally the worst.

"... just that while he was governor 9,300 jobs were added to the area."
Right, so Rick Scott added jobs. This is how this works, unless you want to get pedantic but I'm pretty sure you and most other liberals would rush to defend Obama on jobs even though we "just while he was president had jobs added."

The gist of her rant was "what jobs?!" and the ad answered with "these fuckin' jobs!" and therefore her argument was trounced.

EDIT: Furthermore you're essentially arguing "Rick Scott is bad therefore this ad must be loving lying" which essentially tells me that Rick Scott could have literally himself added 9,300 jobs to that area and you still wouldn't be convinced. You might want to allow yourself to be wrong and not assume the worst in people, you know?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like defending Rick Scott isn't even playing devil's advocate anymore. The language isn't strong enough

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Jobs wasn't her only claim. She also called him an rear end in a top hat and that's incontrovertible.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

hey governor scott, u mad bro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwRx8-Hjlk0

yeah, u mad

this is by Scott's PAC

This is so unbelievably petty. When a constituent harangues you in a restaurant your job as a politician is to sit there and take it, not to have your PAC dig up oppo research on a random citizen for a smear ad. Is there any precedent for a move like this?

Holy poo poo what a thin-skinned gremlin he is.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Nobody can tell a billionaire anything. If you're so smart, why aren't you rich like them?

By the time you're a billionaire you've successfully weeded out anyone who would tell you 'no this is a stupid idea' from your inner circle.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Good point. It makes the most sense to link my intelligence to my income. It sucks to have people I know tell me my ideas are dumb; when I get rich all of that'll change!

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This is so unbelievably petty. When a constituent harangues you in a restaurant your job as a politician is to sit there and take it, not to have your PAC dig up oppo research on a random citizen for a smear ad. Is there any precedent for a move like this?

There's a clip of Al Franken encountering a loud, angry group of constituents. He stops and takes the time to talk to them and tries to address their concerns, winds up calming them down if not making them happy. Really made me respect him as a senator and is about as different from this as could be.

Shouting "rear end in a top hat" at Rick Scott should be a new Florida sport, in my opinion.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hollismason posted:

Not sure this is the advertising Coca Cola is looking for.

You'd also think he'd be more of a Vanilla Coke kind of guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Holy poo poo what a thin-skinned gremlin he is.

I look forward to the pro bono lawsuit.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Aerox posted:

That's McChrystal.

Kro-Bar posted:

Uh, plenty of people know who James Mattis is. Terrible idea, but he's pretty recognizable.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spun Dog posted:

There's a clip of Al Franken encountering a loud, angry group of constituents. He stops and takes the time to talk to them and tries to address their concerns, winds up calming them down if not making them happy. Really made me respect him as a senator and is about as different from this as could be.

Shouting "rear end in a top hat" at Rick Scott should be a new Florida sport, in my opinion.

http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Prince_Charles

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

"Everyone is hoping Ted Cruz pulls out"

:stonklol:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

"... just that while he was governor 9,300 jobs were added to the area."
Right, so Rick Scott added jobs. This is how this works, unless you want to get pedantic but I'm pretty sure you and most other liberals would rush to defend Obama on jobs even though we "just while he was president had jobs added."

The gist of her rant was "what jobs?!" and the ad answered with "these fuckin' jobs!" and therefore her argument was trounced.

EDIT: Furthermore you're essentially arguing "Rick Scott is bad therefore this ad must be loving lying" which essentially tells me that Rick Scott could have literally himself added 9,300 jobs to that area and you still wouldn't be convinced. You might want to allow yourself to be wrong and not assume the worst in people, you know?

A constituent made Rick Scott feel so bad and small he had to ask his rich friends to make a mean ad about her, lol

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

No Butt Stuff posted:

That's McChrystal.

Uh, plenty of people know who James Mattis is. Terrible idea, but he's pretty recognizable.

More recognizable than Trump or Hillary? I doubt any significant portion of the electorate knows who he is.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Rick Scott has the tiniest goddamn wiener

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

That's McChrystal.

Considering the recent history of general officers, I'd imagine that he's one of those guys who got reassigned to some poo poo station rather than face some sort of punishment for Conduct Unbecoming.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Daniel Bryan posted:

Rick Scott has the tiniest goddamn wiener

At least his hands seem normal.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Considering the recent history of general officers, I'd imagine that he's one of those guys who got reassigned to some poo poo station rather than face some sort of punishment for Conduct Unbecoming.

He just really, really likes war.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Hah. At least it wasn't the Simpsons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/judge_rules_wisconsin_gov_scott_walker_s_right_to_work_law_unconstitutional

County Judge, so I expect him to get overruled, but its :unsmith:

quote:

Five years ago Governor Scott Walker rammed through a union busting bill and signed it into law. Months of protests before the bill passed and after the Wisconsin Republican signed it into law captivated the nation. It also prompted a recall election, which Walker survived. The law, Walker insisted, was necessary to fix the state economy, despite there being not a shred of truth to that claim.

Last year, Gov. Walker went further, signing into law another union-busting bill, making Wisconsin the 25th "right to work" state in the nation.

Today, a Wisconsin County judge declared Walker's union-busting law unconstitutional.

Combined, those laws are literally the platform that Walker based his presidential candidacy upon. He even insisted that since he stood up to the unions, he could stand up to ISIS.

The lawsuit was filed the day after Walker signed the "right to work" bill into law, by the Wisconsin State AFL-CIO, United Steelworkers District 2 of Menasha, and Machinists Local Lodge 1061 of Milwaukee.

Because Wisconsin state law "obliges unions to represent all employees at so-called closed-shop companies, regardless of whether those workers formally belong to the union," the unions argued Gov. Walker's "right-to-work law violates the state constitution’s prohibition against the taking of property without providing just compensation," the Daily Reporter explains.

Dane County Judge William Foust ruled the "right to work" allows a "taking" of union property, the Daily Reporter notes, making it unconstitutional.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Daniel Bryan posted:

Uhhh holy poo poo Wisconsin right to work ruled unconstitutional

Is there anything specially evil about their law or is it standard stuff which will see this ruling overturned and that'll be the end of it?
e: nm commie's immediate post before mine answers that.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nelLJG3hNg

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

I look forward to the pro bono lawsuit.

I hope Scott gets some kind of heat for this. Having your PAC dig through a random constituent's employment history to smear her in a web ad because she gave you a hard time in public is wildly out of line.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Aerox posted:

What a great business plot, Smedley!

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I hope Scott gets some kind of heat for this. Having your PAC dig through a random constituent's employment history to smear her in a web ad because she gave you a hard time in public is wildly out of line.

This won't hurt him, I'm guessing. Hard right ideology can spin this in their favor without much issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No Butt Stuff posted:

That's McChrystal.

The Wikipedia page on Mattis says, "He has never been married and has no children."

Maybe he's Lindsey Graham's favorite General.

• Locked thread