Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Rhyno posted:

Was it a leak or just a guess because the previous trailer also used a song from Wayne's World?

I think I made a reference/suggestion about using Ballroom Blitz due to a Wayne's World connection about a month or so ago. I'm actually surprised it turned out that one ended up happening.

Maybe it's a running gag going on that this is (Bruce) Wayne's World: This is the crap he has to deal with every single day/night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Was it a leak or just a guess because the previous trailer also used a song from Wayne's World?

Nah, it was a guy a few days ago who knew this was coming. He also hinted that we'd get the Director's Cut of BvS in theaters, and that we're getting a Tomb Raider movie next year.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Now if only Suicide Squad had Rob Lowe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yoshifan823 posted:

This might out me as a tool, but Linkin Park's fourth album is actually real good. It's simultaneously a really obvious album about how terrible nuclear war is and a touching one about about suicidal depression. And they're way different from Hybrid Theory, a lot less rap-rock-y than they used to be. I don't give a poo poo about anything they did after that, they made the one thing they were meant to make and now they're back to making Dumb Bullshit.

edit: Also you're allowed to like Hybrid Theory when you're 13, because it's exactly the emotional level of a 13-year-old.

Yeah, I don't really care about the rest of their work, I loving love A Thousand Suns and I ain't ashamed to say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMo1WoHcfE

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I don't really care about the rest of their work, I loving love A Thousand Suns and I ain't ashamed to say it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMo1WoHcfE

I saw this performed live. A dark period in my life.

The construction of that album is pretty interesting. It's a shame most of the individual songs are unbearable.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

I saw this performed live. A dark period in my life.

The construction of that album is pretty interesting. It's a shame most of the individual songs are unbearable.

Yeah, it's not a particularly great album by the traditional definition, and none of the songs save for Waiting for the End are spectacular on their own, but it's a cohesive whole, and having your mid-album climax song (the aforementioned Waiting for the End) essentially be a musical suicide attempt is dope.

It beats you over the head, for sure. I mean gently caress, the MLKjr quotes, the Robert Oppenheimer quotes, it is not a subtle album, but I've never been the biggest fan of subtle, so it works.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Man remember when Guardians of the Galaxy created the completely original idea of crazy antics to the tune of classic rock
Truly comic book movies have changed cinema.

I'm not saying GOTG invented anything. It's highly derivative. But it and Suicide Squad don't exist in a vacuumed and these past two trailers feel like they're trying to hit the same beats.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Going back to merchandising for a second:

ICE CREAM WAR
I'm with Cap

Meanwhile DC still just has Dark Choco Knight which has been around since the Bale films, so obviously BvS is a failure.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yoshifan823 posted:

Nah, it was a guy a few days ago who knew this was coming. He also hinted that we'd get the Director's Cut of BvS in theaters, and that we're getting a Tomb Raider movie next year.

It was this post:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Umberto Gonzales recently dropped some very interesting rumours about the future of the DC Cinematic Universe

quote:

>WB is considering releasing the R-rated 3 hour cut of BATMAN V SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE in theaters.

>Batman is a much more prominent character in SUICIDE SQUAD than it appears. Test-screenings have recently happened.

>SUICIDE SQUAD will launch a new trailer that'll be screened with copies of CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR. It might have an early released this Sunday after the MTV awards, and it's cut to "Ballroom Blitz".

>The secret WB/DC movie that is being released on November 1, 2019 is the standalone BATMAN movie starring Ben Affleck.

Keep in mind the guy has an excellent track record about DC.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

So does anyone want to venture a guess why Boomerang is at one point holding a stuffed unicorn in Suicide Squad, because there's a cut in that trailer where he's holding a big pink one while slicing through a thing's head.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm not saying GOTG invented anything. It's highly derivative. But it and Suicide Squad don't exist in a vacuumed and these past two trailers feel like they're trying to hit the same beats.

A marketing campaign is trying to make you think of another popular, financially successful movie with a cast of mostly unfamiliar actors? I am shocked.

I think the key difference is that the music is for the trailers only. Up until a few months ago Ayer was going to have zero score or music of any kind outside of incidental diagetic stuff, with the ambiance of the situation being the backing track to everything. Someone talked him back from that since now the score's being done by Steven Price, who did Fury for him.

Considering how weird Fury's score was at times, this might even end up more interesting than the "no music" idea.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

TheFallenEvincar posted:

TOTAL Deadpool copycat cashin bro, except at least Deadpool would have the decency to have been like "heh you just deepthroated a carrot, like. a. dick. Oprah Winfrey!!!" or something.
Thank you Deadpool for inventing the R rated action film.

Yeah but the thing is, Shoot Em Up is completely terrible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Your mother!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Rough Lobster posted:

Counterpoint: Bellucci.

This music thing is dumb because the tracks come from different sections of the 70s pie. And I can't see the SS trailer songs being integral to the story/one of the characters.

Also, with the tie-ins, the most memorable food one for me was my local theatre having Batman Returns style popcorn, which was black licorice toffee-like coating, which turned out pretty awful, but the upshot was that you got a mouth like the Penguin afterward.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Trailer music doesn't need to have any connection to the source outside of maybe a few lyrics that work with it, or that it just sounds cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIbxk7idYA

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This is a lot like Peter Jackson bamboosling me into seeing that Lord of the Ring movie because he conjured up visions of rear end to rear end, electro shock therapy, and feeding tubes.

Rough Lobster posted:

I was going to say I should really revisit it and find out if the reason I didn't like it very much was because I'm fundamentally joyless or because it's not very good
I love the Crank movies though so I'm assuming it wasn't on my end
This is why it was a huge disappointment to learn I'd mixed up my director duos when I first heard about the Han Solo movie. Giving Aquaman to James Wan was just a half measure when you could have given him to Neveldine/Taylor. Hell I would have given creative control over the DC films to them over Snyder. Ghost Ride that poo poo

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

Dude, I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but I really am curious about why u like Sonic?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

I think the key difference is that the music is for the trailers only. Up until a few months ago Ayer was going to have zero score or music of any kind outside of incidental diagetic stuff, with the ambiance of the situation being the backing track to everything. Someone talked him back from that since now the score's being done by Steven Price, who did Fury for him.

Goddamn, I wish you hadn't revealed that.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Can't wait for slow-mo shots of Jared Leto set to Dream Weaver whenever Harley looks at him. I mean, that's obviously where they're going with this, right?

My biggest fear with Suicide Squad was that Will Smith was going to take it over and turn it into another Will Smith vehicle. Thankfully, that doesn't appear to be happening.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

50 Shades is technically a tentpole, right?

I'm sure it gave some guys in the audience a tentpole

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The Cameo posted:

I feel like people also forget that Snyder attracts really ridiculous talent to movies that ostensibly these people would never attach themselves to. He's very good at convincing actors to go on his crazy adventure - just as a random assortment, the man's worked with Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Oscar Isaac, Jon Hamm, Michael Fassbender, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lena Headey, Hugo Weaving, Carla Gugino, Kevin Costner, Dominic West, Scott Glenn, Michael Shannon, Laurence Fishburne, Billy Crudup, Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Jena Malone, Emily Browning, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Chris Meloni, Geoffrey Rush, Sam Neill, Helen Mirren, Joel Edgerton, Jesse Eisenberg, Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, Ezra Miller, Holly Hunter, and now J.K. Simmons.

I mean how in the hell did he talk Holly Hunter into a role in a goddamn capeman fighting cowlman movie. I'm still astounded he talked Sarah Polley into doing a zombie movie in a time when 1) zombies were not a big thing, and 2) she was avoiding studio pictures almost purposely (she hadn't done a studio picture since Go in 1999).

Motherfucker even beat Steve McQueen to the Fassbender punch. 300 was Fassbender's first non-TV work. Like, that's a holy poo poo prescient eye for talent, especially when you realize that he's the "fight in the shade" guy who has a lot of little star moments sprinkled throughout the film. He gave Oscar Isaac a juicy villain role when the only two people prior had seen anything in him were Ridley Scott and Catherine Hardwicke (and God drat, does Isaac relish playing Blue. He has a loving BALL filling in that character).

And he talked Affleck into playing Batman. That's clearly on the "worked out well" side of things.

Plus he clearly has made the right choice with Gadot being Wonder Woman, based off critical reception to her.

WB might just stick with him because he gives the studio access to people who would probably say no otherwise, no matter what insanity he tells them they're about to do.

This is a good post that bears rereading.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Retardog posted:

This is a good post that bears rereading.

Yeah, absolutely.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Fassbender was the best part of 300 and had the best laconic lines.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Tarantino definitely deserves some credit for "discovering" Fassbender as well. That bar shootout scene was all people were talking about when they saw Inglorious Basterds.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Tarantino definitely deserves some credit for "discovering" Fassbender as well. That bar shootout scene was all people were talking about when they saw Inglorious Basterds.

yeah I saw 300 but didn't even notice Fassbender cuz he was indistinguishable from everyone else. Basterds is where I was like "woah, this dude rules."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Fassbender was the best part of 300 and had the best laconic lines.

Agreed. He had the best action bits in a movie full of great ones.

The Cameo posted:

I feel like people also forget that Snyder attracts really ridiculous talent to movies that ostensibly these people would never attach themselves to. He's very good at convincing actors to go on his crazy adventure - just as a random assortment, the man's worked with Sarah Polley, Ving Rhames, Oscar Isaac, Jon Hamm, Michael Fassbender, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Lena Headey, Hugo Weaving, Carla Gugino, Kevin Costner, Dominic West, Scott Glenn, Michael Shannon, Laurence Fishburne, Billy Crudup, Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Jena Malone, Emily Browning, Diane Lane, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Chris Meloni, Geoffrey Rush, Sam Neill, Helen Mirren, Joel Edgerton, Jesse Eisenberg, Ben Affleck, Jeremy Irons, Ezra Miller, Holly Hunter, and now J.K. Simmons.

I mean how in the hell did he talk Holly Hunter into a role in a goddamn capeman fighting cowlman movie. I'm still astounded he talked Sarah Polley into doing a zombie movie in a time when 1) zombies were not a big thing, and 2) she was avoiding studio pictures almost purposely (she hadn't done a studio picture since Go in 1999).

Motherfucker even beat Steve McQueen to the Fassbender punch. 300 was Fassbender's first non-TV work. Like, that's a holy poo poo prescient eye for talent, especially when you realize that he's the "fight in the shade" guy who has a lot of little star moments sprinkled throughout the film. He gave Oscar Isaac a juicy villain role when the only two people prior had seen anything in him were Ridley Scott and Catherine Hardwicke (and God drat, does Isaac relish playing Blue. He has a loving BALL filling in that character).

And he talked Affleck into playing Batman. That's clearly on the "worked out well" side of things.

Plus he clearly has made the right choice with Gadot being Wonder Woman, based off critical reception to her.

WB might just stick with him because he gives the studio access to people who would probably say no otherwise, no matter what insanity he tells them they're about to do.

All those actors are attracted to Snyder probably because he deadlifts :allears:

teagone fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 11, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Valerian set video.

http://i.imgur.com/zXnTWng.webm

http://i.imgur.com/ynYfgau.webm

http://i.imgur.com/fBortjw.webm

http://i.imgur.com/SzViN8b.webm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dane...

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Fassbender already was being bandied around town after Hunger was a festival darling. I know it was the movie Pitt saw that made him suggest Fassbender to Tarantino early on in pre-production on Basterds.

And Hunger was two years after 300. I'm not suggesting that Snyder broke him through to stardom or anything, but he is the guy who gave him the break he needed that probably helped get Hunger and Fish Tank off the tarmac, which led to Basterds and First Class and Fassbender being something of a name (even if at the current moment he's kind of an "anti-name" because of his preponderance to playing complete irredeemable assholes in the mainstream work he does).

Other fun fact about Fassbender: he only got Basterds because Simon Pegg had to decline the role of Hicox due to Tintin. He'd already been brought in to audition for Landa based off Pitt's recommendation as mentioned above.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DavidAyerMovies/status/719439142925373440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

:v:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
It's not hard to believe at all. Fury Road was given extra money for reshoots as well because the studio trusted it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Box Office Projections have Batman vs Superman ending up somewhere roughly at $340m domestic.

All time superhero domestic would look like this:

Avengers: $623m
Dark Knight: $534m
Ultron: $459m
Dark Knight Rises: $448m
Iron Man 3: $409m
Spider Man: $403m
Spider Man 2: $373m
Deadpool: $358m
BVS (est.): $340m
Spider Man 3: $336m

So BVS would be 9th all time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Depends on who asked for the reshoots. Most directors, when they've presented the studio with what they feel is a finished film, wouldn't think it is a good thing if the studio asked for additional re-shoots. In the case of Fury Road I'm assuming it was Miller who went to the studio and asked for more money because he felt the film needed it, not the other way around.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Cameo posted:

A marketing campaign is trying to make you think of another popular, financially successful movie with a cast of mostly unfamiliar actors? I am shocked.
Yeah, I was a little surprised at the response his post got, because it seemed like a fairly 'no poo poo' observation. If he's playing it as 'lmaorofllol, DC biting on Marvel's style!', then yeah, I guess that's dumb, but I'm not like rattled to the core by the idea that one marketing team may have been inspired by another one's fairly recent very successful effort.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That's a hell of a drop-off for Ultron.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

computer parts posted:

It was on one of the movie channels when I was in the hospital a couple of weeks ago, and mother of God, it's just so unpleasant to watch.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

computer parts posted:

That's pretty much the first thing I noticed

If you adjust for inflation, it doesn't change too much.

code:
1	The Avengers	May 4, 2012	Adventure	PG-13	$623,279,547	$660,081,224
2	The Dark Knight	Jul 18, 2008	Action	PG-13	$533,345,358	$626,080,555
3	Spider-Man	May 3, 2002	Adventure	PG-13	$403,706,375	$585,756,409
4	Spider-Man 2	Jun 30, 2004	Adventure	PG-13	$373,524,485	$507,054,974
5	The Dark Knight Rises	Jul 20, 2012	Action	PG-13	$448,139,099	$474,599,567
6	The Avengers: Age of Ultron	May 1, 2015	Action	PG-13	$459,005,868	$459,005,868
7	Iron Man 3	May 3, 2013	Action	PG-13	$408,992,272	$424,084,233
8	Spider-Man 3	May 4, 2007	Adventure	PG-13	$336,530,303	$412,347,448
9	Iron Man	May 2, 2008	Action	PG-13	$318,604,126	$374,051,130
10	Deadpool	Feb 12, 2016	Action	R	$358,424,739	$358,424,739
11	Batman Forever	Jun 16, 1995	Action	PG-13	$183,997,904	$356,575,242
12	Guardians of the Galaxy	Aug 1, 2014	Adventure	PG-13	$333,172,112	$343,771,168
13	Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice	Mar 25, 2016	Action	R	$296,685,542	($340 est) 
14	Iron Man 2	May 7, 2010	Adventure	PG-13	$312,128,345	$333,816,603
15	Man of Steel	Jun 14, 2013	Action	PG-13	$291,045,518	$301,785,199
16	X-Men: The Last Stand	May 26, 2006	Action	PG-13	$234,362,462	$301,629,851
17	X2	May 2, 2003	Action	PG-13	$214,949,694	$300,501,807
Except that goddamn Batman Forever made a ton of money

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't quite get the hate for Age of Ultron when Avengers is right there, being even worse.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

I don't quite get the hate for Age of Ultron when Avengers is right there, being even worse.

Avengers had novelty working in its favor. "Holy poo poo look at all these heroes on the screen at once, and its a Real Movie, not some kid's cartoon!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I've come to not even caring about money made - Dredd made gently caress all and it's one of the best goddamn action movies ever made (akin to the 80s classics like Predator, Die Hard, Terminator, etc. etc). The dick measuring contest is getting stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sir Kodiak posted:

yeah neither movie is great but AoU shows significant improvements in character writing, acting & cinematography. it's still, like, a B- movie, tops, but it was at least a step up.

• Locked thread