Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
That's basically the opposite of my experience with 12 and the cities felt more static and boring than FF1-NES, and the color palette more drab.

Okay that's a little hyperbolic but suffice to say, I thought it was an extremely ugly game and the biggest thing I remember about the cities was that terrible mandatory chop trading poo poo, and that's a really, really bad thing to remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Man, what? FF12 looked amazing when it came out and it looks fantastic now. The world was denser than most game worlds we'd seen to that point; Rabanastre felt like a living city, the huge tracts of land, deep caves and cool forests with distinct visuals are inarguably some of the best features of the game.

The looks are the best thing about FF12, really.

Also, yeah Dr Cid if one of the best NPCs and Balthier is the best character, so yeah I agree. Although the voice acting dont do him much good, though.

My complain is mostly about how lots of stuff is introduced in the story and then barely explained or developed and then it moves on to introduce more stuff. Like, is all about the nethicite, whoever holds the nethicite can win the war and etc.The nethicite is all powerful and everyone just talks about that all the time, but how exactly it even works? That's never really explained or described in any way. There is that time when one causes a huge explosion and destroys and entire fleet because it interacted with the ship and Fran or something, so I figured its like magical nukes, but I was never sure about that and Im still not, since the "manufactured nethicite" seems to work in a whole different way, by granting magical powers to its bearer or something, Then we find that the nethicite was given to people by those strange creatures, in order to control humanity. But wait, how? And why? And WTF to they even want, and where do they came from? No matter, take this magical sword and go to this tower far away and then destroy the empire. And so on

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^^-- The easy answer is "it's magic" and the harder answer is "it is highly compressed magic, refined from a magical ore into an unstable weaponized form."

The White Dragon posted:

That's basically the opposite of my experience with 12 and the cities felt more static and boring than FF1-NES, and the color palette more drab.

Okay that's a little hyperbolic but suffice to say, I thought it was an extremely ugly game and the biggest thing I remember about the cities was that terrible mandatory chop trading poo poo, and that's a really, really bad thing to remember.

That's just Archades and I agree, easily the worst part of the game. I do like that it forces you to dick around the town and learn about Archadian society, but it really slows an already slow roll down.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 12, 2016

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

dmboogie posted:

Tactics Ogre update: Still rad. I'm a few battles into the Law route right now (which is super hosed btw, though I find it kinda hilarious that basically everyone's calling you the Butcher of Golyat after that little mess, because really, who were you gonna fool with that? and I know I've been complimenting the writing a lot, but goddamn am I loving all the unique conversations your story units get when you field them on certain stages. It helps abate the problem with some other SRPGs where your dudes basically completely disappear from the plot once you recruit them.

its probably my favorite SRPG just based on the setting and story alone, hell it even was when it was the original. The remake really shot it up there into one of my all time favorite games

i loved it so much I even did a lot of crafting

manually

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Of all FF12's flaws, "it's ugly" is a pretty big reach imo.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
How do I start a new game plus in Atelier Shallie? Loading the clear file just sends me back to the end of the game and I don't get the option when I choose New Game.

Edit: Nvm. Must have loaded the wrong save :lol:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 12, 2016

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

It's all fun and games now but wait til critical plot details are hidden away in those mid-battle conversations.

...I'm going to regret being too attached to my generics to slot in every unique dude I get, aren't I. :sigh:

MotU posted:

its probably my favorite SRPG just based on the setting and story alone, hell it even was when it was the original. The remake really shot it up there into one of my all time favorite games

i loved it so much I even did a lot of crafting

Even with savestates, the crafting seems like such a huge, tedious pain in the rear end that I've really only bothered upgrading weapons thus far. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

dmboogie posted:

...I'm going to regret being too attached to my generics to slot in every unique dude I get, aren't I. :sigh:

Even with savestates, the crafting seems like such a huge, tedious pain in the rear end that I've really only bothered upgrading weapons thus far. Hopefully that doesn't come back to bite me.
Crafting is a tremendous pain. Either don't bother with it or cheat through it; it's by far the biggest black spot on an otherwise stellar game. (The second biggest black spot being the awkward leveling system making new classes annoying to use, and the third being how INSANELY SLOW skills level up.)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

dmboogie posted:

Popping off a weapon here and there can be beneficial as they can be a decent upgrade for low effort, but you can do the main game easily without ever looking at the crafting screen. You could probably do a chunk of the post game as well, but I haven't done as much of that. I wouldn't worry about delving into it too much if you didn't want to.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

^ That's good to hear, thanks to the both of you.

Update: Jesus christ this stage is literally just slaughtering a bunch of clerics and also a knight I guess. The Law route really knows what it's doing.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

dmboogie posted:

Update: Jesus christ this stage is literally just slaughtering a bunch of clerics and also a knight I guess. The Law route really knows what it's doing.

Clerics and knights that are just in the army for the salary so they can buy medicine for their sick kids.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So is there grinding in Tactics Ogre? This is important, because I am bad at tactics games, and bad at Ogre games unless I have a Lich deployed in a unit led by a Princess

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

So is there grinding in Tactics Ogre? This is important, because I am bad at tactics games, and bad at Ogre games unless I have a Lich deployed in a unit led by a Princess

There is. There's also an in-game system that literally lets you rewind up to like 50 turns back in the battle at any time with no drawbacks if you gently caress up somewhere, which is nice.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

there are only a few actually difficult spots and that usually has to do with Guest/Rescue NPC AI (one of these is rather early on)

luckily those specific instances have ways to sorta cheese it

I wanna replay it again now, heck damnit.

what was the ideal way to play through the game to get all Coda requisites again? L->N->C?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

dmboogie posted:

You should check that Knight's character profile in the Warren Report.

MotU posted:

what was the ideal way to play through the game to get all Coda requisites again? L->N->C?

I think it's just you have to be on the Law path to get all the Coda chapters. I know you can't get the last two, at least, on the Chaos Path. Maybe even the last three.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 13, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I beat Yakuza 4. It was good. Congratulations to all the powerful men of Kamurocho.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is Yakuza 4 something I need a guide for or should I just play it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Saejima and Kiryu can buy items in Ebisu Pawn to learn some new moves, if you want to get all the sidequests done in the main game have all 16 of Akiyama's done by the first plot event of Chapter 4 (not that hard,) characters don't share inventories until the final chapter. There you go.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

There's a retarded system where there aren't individual unit levels, only class levels, and every class starts at level 1, so have fun grinding if you want to use ones that appear past Chapter 1! But difficulty wise I never felt like I had to grind, at least because archers/bows are so stupidly strong.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

You should check that Knight's character profile in the Warren Report.

Yeah, I somehow managed to kill him before he escaped the stage, and boy was I glad I did! Still feel bad about the clerics though.

Last Celebration posted:

There's a retarded system where there aren't individual unit levels, only class levels, and every class starts at level 1, so have fun grinding if you want to use ones that appear past Chapter 1! But difficulty wise I never felt like I had to grind, at least because archers/bows are so stupidly strong.

I kind of like the system because it lets you swap in new units without even MORE grinding, but yeah it makes experimentation a pretty daunting task.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's mostly a problem when your awesome OP units come at level 1 and you have to spend the next half-hour/hour getting them up to speed. Also the skills system is clunky because everyone wants the same 6-9 skills in the end, which is tedious.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

It's mostly a problem when your awesome OP units come at level 1 and you have to spend the next half-hour/hour getting them up to speed. Also the skills system is clunky because everyone wants the same 6-9 skills in the end, which is tedious.

Even this wouldn't have been such a big deal, except that the scaling for EXP/skill points is whacked, the latter especially. You need thousands of TP or whatever to unlock all the skill slots and get all the skills you want and endgame enemies give, what. 10 more than the start of game guys?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

FFXII had some cool ideas but it got shortchanged by appearing way late into the PS2's life cycle and it didn't have a distinct visual look in the way that X or XIII had really novel visuals. It's probably the most forgettable Final Fantasy of all time.

It's no Final Fantasy 11.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'm sure lots of people have extraordinarily vivid memories of FF11. Perhaps even memories they'd prefer to forget.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

It's no Final Fantasy 11.

Abstract psychological torture is actually surprisingly, painfully memorable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Clarste posted:

I'm sure lots of people have extraordinarily vivid memories of FF11. Perhaps even memories they'd prefer to forget.

that feel when you get deleveled to fight an early story boss and he stomps you because you started playing long after anybody still playing ff11 has outleveled the content

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The best stories are people that levelled, replaced all their gear immediately, threw out the old stuff then died and delevelled and are left with nothing they can wear.

FFXI is still one of SE's biggest lifetime earners though and Vana'diel is a cool world.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

As has been said, there is grinding but you can hammer it out relatively easy since all the classes are tied together as a singular thing to level. Skills were the only tedious thing to deal with and after a while I just said gently caress min/maxing and beat the game.

Also now I really want to play MotBQ. I think that might be the only game Ive ever played and beat more than 5 times and still enjoy picking up to play again.

And to think that we will never get another one. :smith:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Abstract psychological torture is actually surprisingly, painfully memorable.

That game is my archnemesis.
If it had a face I would punch it so hard shards of the bones that used to make up my hand would be permanently lodged in its skull.
So much life wasted to one of the most godless slogs in the history of video games.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 13, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of MMOs, did they add the rest of the Warring Triad to FF14 yet?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
FF14 is patched once every few months, we suspect the next extreme primal fight will be the second of the warring triad in 3.3, which will be...next month, probably? They have not given a date yet.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ah cool, thanks for the info.

Someone remind me, Gakt is on bad terms with SE right? We wouldn't get a full helping of Genesis in FF7R would we?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

dmboogie posted:

There is. There's also an in-game system that literally lets you rewind up to like 50 turns back in the battle at any time with no drawbacks if you gently caress up somewhere, which is nice.

the chariot system was rad as heck up until you have to manipulate it for random loot drops (that the enemy ai is designed to make a beeline for, so you have to work around that too)

tactics ogre owns but so many of its design elements seem custom built to be as tedious as possible

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
like, here are my proposed fixes that i came up with just now:
-don't have random drops
-don't put rng in a crafting system
-allow players to level up skills by spending excess skill points if they want
-don't have super secret rad postgame bonus characters join up at loving level 1

e: -if you're going to limit class changing with consumable items, don't hide those items as random drops in some random rear end battle

Looper fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Apr 13, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Looper posted:

like, here are my proposed fixes that i came up with just now:
-don't have random drops
-don't put rng in a crafting system
-allow players to level up skills by spending excess skill points if they want
-don't have super secret rad postgame bonus characters join up at loving level 1

e: -if you're going to limit class changing with consumable items, don't hide those items as random drops in some random rear end battle

Tactics Ogre crafting stuff:
- Add mass production, you end up making a ton of stuff for crafting.
- Remove the little animation or make it skippable.
- Reduce the amount of recipes that make materials solely used for other recipes. It's dumb.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
English voice highlights for Star Ocean 5 are coming out. Fiore is professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegQNj7dRTM

Valkyrie Profile: Origins trailer is scheduled to show tomorrow.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
All the stuff they added in TO that's terrible is mostly related to the post game at least. The leveling of new classes is probably the worst your average play through has to deal with, sadly it is a pretty bad one. You can cfw cheat that one away at least.

The skill system is worse than most people think. A lot of skills don't function correctly because it seems like they were designed in a vacuum instead of taking the underlying character mechanics into consideration. It's just bad.

The finishing blow system is also terrible while it's on my mind.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

English voice highlights for Star Ocean 5 are coming out. Fiore is professional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IegQNj7dRTM

Valkyrie Profile: Origins trailer is scheduled to show tomorrow.

That must be a fandub or something, everyone knows Star Ocean isn't allowed to have good voice direction.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rascyc posted:

All the stuff they added in TO that's terrible is mostly related to the post game at least. The leveling of new classes is probably the worst your average play through has to deal with, sadly it is a pretty bad one. You can cfw cheat that one away at least.

The skill system is worse than most people think. A lot of skills don't function correctly because it seems like they were designed in a vacuum instead of taking the underlying character mechanics into consideration. It's just bad.

tactics ogre is mechanically a huge mess but it's not very noticeable so it ends up being pretty fun anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

I can't play it without CFW anymore. The skill system is probably the biggest thing wrong with the game because in a normal playthrough you simply don't get enough points to buy anything that noticeably changes your characters' effectiveness. I tend to jack up skill point gain to like x4 or x8 and it actually feels like you can be creative with the skill system.