Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rotacixe posted:

In one of those videos there is a JN machine gun nest protected by cinder blocks. Anything high caliber will eat trough them no problem.

High caliber? AK fire will chew up cinderblocks reasonably quickly and there's plenty of those around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

chairface posted:

High caliber? AK fire will chew up cinderblocks reasonably quickly and there's plenty of those around.

Even 9mm handguns will chew up cinderblocks.

Rotacixe
Oct 21, 2008

chairface posted:

I know, probably not the best choice of words.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Valley Troll posted:

This claim - that "Arab" militaries are deficient due to deficiencies inherent to "Arab" culture - has been around for a long time and several people have made careers in academia researching and building on this claim. Kenneth Pollack is probably the person most widely associated with it. Although he wasn't the first person to make this or related claims hinging on the inherent inferiority of Arab culture, he spelled it out very clearly in his PhD dissertation. Needless to say, there are a ton of undefended (and indefensible) assertions and assumptions in the linked article, e.g., that Arab armies of the conquest can be considered as part of the same cultural unit as modern Arab militaries; that the Egyptian army struggling to defeat guerrillas in Yemen proves the inferiority of "Arab" culture (as it applies to the military), but the failure of Israel to defeat Hezbollah over several decades doesn't prove the inferiority of "western" culture, etc.

Somebody in r/askhistorians took this apart pretty well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3n9nng/why_were_modern_arab_army_generally_incompetent/cvm7l7b

To be fair though it isn't exclusively arab either, even if it is no less real. The real kicker is that these problems are more common in some totalitarian systems, China had to a certain extent similar problems before they started reforming the military in the 90's, the USSR learned alot of similar lessons in afghanistan etc.

That said, I'm perfectly aware the analysis in the article isn't flawless or that there isn't more to it than "culture". But to pretend that attitudes don't affect militaries, especially on a leadership and organisational level is turning a blind eye to history, even if an army has signifigant commitments elsewhere. But lets say that the 67 Egyptian army wasn't in Yemen aswell, it ignores alot of the facts that made the israeli victory so swift and decisive, this with some parity between the two. Almost the entire Egyptian airforce was destroyed preemptively for example, and I don't think even doubling the number of boots on the ground could change an outcome in a post WWII conflict where such a thing happens on such a relatively small battlefield.

Now, lets not get into clancey chat, but statistics arent everything either, just like culture.

Postorder Trollet89 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 12, 2016

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
I have no idea what "Arab culture" is, yet both "Arab" and "culture" are words on my university degree.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Goons successfully deconstruct culture once again, turns out societies are just randomly generated out of thin air after all, gg see you next round.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Israel is not a Western country.

It's also a complete straw man of Pollack's work, considering he lauds Egyptian military performance in the north Sinai while dealing with the Yemen war, among other points (assuming they're extrapolating his arguments to the article cited). And the odern version of his argument -- I'm not sure about his PhD dissertation -- rests on how certain Middle Eastern states have for political and organizational reasons mismanaged their junior officer corps, and that this mismanagement has a downhill effect on tactical prowess.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 12, 2016

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

KaptainKrunk posted:

The whole "Middle Eastern forces are incompetent" is mostly based on a small sample size of forces that are meant to be pretty useless at doing things other than shooting protesters.

Small sample size is a nonsense complaint,I think people just like throwing out statistics terms they don't understand these days. You don't need thousands of observations for basic inference or else a bunch of medical trials wouldn't exist.

Look it's not very complicated, they get a bad rep because of, you know, recorded history. Even groups like hezbolla are pretty terrible all considered, 2006 was more a function of Israel's incompetence than actual fighting proficiency. It's not like Syria went all that well for them, which is an actual test of fighting ability, their success comes from dug in guerrilla war. Waiting out an undetermined enemy in friendly territory while taking heavy casualties isn't a tremendously difficult task, where they should be noted for their success is how good they are at recruiting bullet sponges.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

Phlegmish posted:

Goons successfully deconstruct culture once again, turns out societies are just randomly generated out of thin air after all, gg see you next round.

I'm sorry, of course, "Arab culture" is definitely a concrete thing that is very well-suited as an analytical variable without even the slightest need for definition. Sarcasm is such a great way to communicate in.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/4egzv1/rojava_administration_will_not_allow_and_not/
http://cantonafrin.com/ar/news/view...9%86%D8%A7.html
Rojava administration will not allow and not recognize parliament elections scheduled by Assad's government.

Once again, the Kurds are reminding everyone that while they may not be fighting Assad, that doesn't mean they like him or the Syrian Government.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I described the saga of Caro to my wife and she said "So he's Soldier in real life?"

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

(note: Soldier went overseas to fight Nazis in 1949)

Politifact rates this Mostly False: Caro was actually a sniper in real life

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 13, 2016

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Eh, I wouldn't call Caro a sniper. He taught himself how to shoot guns, but I don't think he knew anything about observation or long-range ballistics.

On the other hand, I don't think many "snipers" in the theaters of Libya and Syria know about those things either.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

tsa posted:

Small sample size is a nonsense complaint,I think people just like throwing out statistics terms they don't understand these days. You don't need thousands of observations for basic inference or else a bunch of medical trials wouldn't exist.

Look it's not very complicated, they get a bad rep because of, you know, recorded history. Even groups like hezbolla are pretty terrible all considered, 2006 was more a function of Israel's incompetence than actual fighting proficiency. It's not like Syria went all that well for them, which is an actual test of fighting ability, their success comes from dug in guerrilla war. Waiting out an undetermined enemy in friendly territory while taking heavy casualties isn't a tremendously difficult task, where they should be noted for their success is how good they are at recruiting bullet sponges.

I would even doubt recorded history and actual tests of fighting ability. Caro has successfully performed more battlefield reporting, first aid rescues, sniper duels, and POW survivals, but would you say a brigade of Caros would be more effective than a brigade of US soldiers?

You know what? Don't answer that.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Was it ever confirmed that Caro had actually killed anyone? I seem to remember some videos of him shooting but coupled with reports from the people he fought with that he was prone to schizophrenic breaks on the battlefield I kinda doubt he actually hit anyone.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

RZApublican posted:

Was it ever confirmed that Caro had actually killed anyone? I seem to remember some videos of him shooting but coupled with reports from the people he fought with that he was prone to schizophrenic breaks on the battlefield I kinda doubt he actually hit anyone.

Schizophrenic breaks don't make you suddenly a better/worse shot, unfortunately.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

tsa posted:

So achieving strategic victory against a technologically superior force is actually a sign of failure now, for Arabs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Schizotek posted:

Schizophrenic breaks don't make you suddenly a better/worse shot, unfortunately.

The only video in which he's actually firing that I remember was some time where he thought he'd seen movement in a window so he shoots at it a few times, hitting nothing.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Jagchosis posted:

So achieving strategic victory against a technologically superior force is actually a sign of failure now, for Arabs.

Aside from occasionally killing random Israelis/Palestinians/Lebanese to fuel perpetual hostilities at the behest of Iran and Syria what would that strategic victory be? Maybe loving over the Lebanese government in various ways or solidifying support for conservative shitheels in the Israeli government? Murdering a shitload of people Iran doesn't like in Syria is probably the only one that would really fit into the "strategic" category.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 13, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

SedanChair posted:

Eh, I wouldn't call Caro a sniper. He taught himself how to shoot guns, but I don't think he knew anything about observation or long-range ballistics.

On the other hand, I don't think many "snipers" in the theaters of Libya and Syria know about those things either.

It depends; how was his Jarate?

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

Kaal posted:

Turkey routinely blocks Facebook and Twitter, but presumably you know that. Kurds in the southeast are being cracked down on right now, and there is a heavy police presence throughout the region. Do know what town your friend is in?
He's in Batman. It wasn't that bad a few months ago but now it's gone full hellhole thanks to Erdogan and PKK assholes.

sparatuvs posted:

He's almost certainly ok unless he aimed an AK at an APC. Does he hang around with PKK types?
Not at all. He's a teacher and a pacifist. He thoroughly denounces the PKK and has compared them to IS on more than one occasion. He's down with Rojava, Peshmerga, etc but detests offensive violence. I'm sure he'll pop back up at some point. I was just starting to worry because I really have no idea if Skype gets locked down like Facebook and Twitter.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Captain Bravo posted:

I think the Middle East thread has finally found our version of the Ted Rall Ebert quote. :v:
Okay, thank you you made my day. Middle East Thread of Despair: a present so GRIMDARK, we are down to dumb as hell WH40k comparisons.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 13, 2016

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

usb teledildonics posted:

He's in Batman. It wasn't that bad a few months ago but now it's gone full hellhole thanks to Erdogan and PKK assholes.

Not at all. He's a teacher and a pacifist. He thoroughly denounces the PKK and has compared them to IS on more than one occasion. He's down with Rojava, Peshmerga, etc but detests offensive violence. I'm sure he'll pop back up at some point. I was just starting to worry because I really have no idea if Skype gets locked down like Facebook and Twitter.

How bad has Batman gotten? I remember the bridge bombing, and there was a firefight outside my hotel up in Tatvan, but Batman was super chill compared to Van or Doughbeyazit when I went through.

Batman is pretty huge though, unlikely something could go down there without it leaking out.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

RZApublican posted:

I just wanted to say that, to my knowledge, it has never truly been confirmed that he had schizophrenia. It was my guess after interacting with him and hearing a little about his background but it isn't clear. Also, people have schizophrenia chronically and don't go through "schizophrenic breaks" though they can go into and out of delusions.

Rime posted:

How bad has Batman gotten?

The most recent movie was pretty universally panned.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

I think the Middle East thread has finally found our version of the Ted Rall Ebert quote. :v:

You may have to explain this one.

Not the 40K ref, I got that, but the Ted Rall Ebert thing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Darth Walrus posted:

You may have to explain this one.

Not the 40K ref, I got that, but the Ted Rall Ebert thing.

panel 5 is the one people always reference.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What Ive always loved more than the text of that panel is his little illustration of that dumb moment.
It's too bad about Ted Rall. I remember liking his 90s/early 2000s work as a lil kid like Search and Destroy where it was just like more general sociopolitical/culture critiques and commentary about capitalism/consumerism but like with actual attempts at humor and not weird bitter inflammatory comics with hyper specific political rants and poor attempts at humor. Like when it was more Gen X talking points and less like, GENERALISIMO BUSH. Feel like even the art is even uglier in a way if that's possible.
Dunno what happened. 9/11 changed a lot of people.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Dunno what happened. 9/11 changed a lot of people.
9/11 gave a good excuse for a lot of people to change their political opinions into what they wanted them to be. It's like American politics went to college.
Also did any of the many "smarter critics" ever managed to take the place of Ebert and Sickel in the American media?

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
The SDF launched a failed attack on the village of Sheikh Issa in the Azaz pocket overnight. Not sure what the logic was, but it comes as the Marea' and Huwar Kilis ops rooms are struggling with IS around al-Rai, so it garners no love from the anti-IS FSA forces.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Kopijeger posted:

When did the Soviets have a professional military?

Man, nothing like misreading a post to say the exact opposite of what it actually says. :saddowns:

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 13, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
So, um, this happened:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/04/saudi-arabia-strips-religious-police-arresting-power-160413141418824.html

quote:

Saudi Arabia has stripped its religious forces of their powers to arrest, urging them to act "kindly and gently" in enforcing Islamic rules.

Under changes approved by the Saudi cabinet on Wednesday, religious officers will no longer be allowed to detain people and instead must report violators to police or drug squad officers, the official Saudi Press Agency said.

Officers of the Haia force, also known as the Mutawaa, must "carry out the duties of encouraging virtue and forbidding vice by advising kindly and gently" under the new rules, it reported.

"Neither the heads nor members of the Haia are to stop or arrest or chase people or ask for their IDs or follow them - that is considered the jurisdiction of the police or the drug unit," the regulations say.

Subject of controversy

Saudi Arabia's religious police enforce the country's interpretation of Islamic law including segregation of the sexes, ensuring that women cover themselves from head-to-toe when in public.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
Anybody still have that little comic that was drawn up of the current situation in the middle east and each country is represented by a cartoon person holding a gun to the person next to them while Iraq holds a gun to its own head?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Turkey asks Germany to prosecute comedian over Erdoğan poem

lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Good luck with that, and :catstare: if Germany does.

They won't, I suspect.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

ISIS's claimed military successes in 2016, from the new Dabiq.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Böhmermann: You're such a goat fucker Erdoğan!
Erdoğan: Jan, why would you call me a goat fucker!?
Böhmermann: Well let's see, first of all, you gently caress goats!
Both: Oh yeah! Hahaha!

SA's been getting a lot of poo poo for their practices, and completely deservedly. But it does look like they're slowly making some progress here and there. Good for them.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

sparatuvs posted:

ISIS's claimed military successes in 2016, from the new Dabiq.
Probably wanna rehost that image.

So they're claiming military successes in Tadmur/Palmyra? Uh guys, about that...

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I was going to ask if Erdogan was suffering from brain damage, but i think everyone in this thread know the diagnosis is worse than that.

quote:

So they're claiming military successes in Tadmur/Palmyra? Uh guys, about that...
Freed from the shackles of Tadmur and Palmyra, they will roam Syria like wolf packs... :suicide:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Good luck with that, and :catstare: if Germany does.

They won't, I suspect.

Doesn't Germany have libel laws directly forbidding insulting foreign heads of state?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Friendly Humour posted:

Doesn't Germany have libel laws directly forbidding insulting foreign heads of state?
Yes, they have, Erdogan wouldn't have sued otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
I just finished reading the latest issue of Dabiq (except the chapter on the Muslim Brotherhood because I was getting bored - this edition feels a lot more wordy than previous ones) and I didn't see that image in it. That's not to say ISIS didn't make it - it certainly looks legit to me.

TBH it's not entirely wrong. The loss of Tadmur (a small, isolated town in the middle of the desert) isn't some giant blow to ISIS despite what Pro-Assad actors would make out. Especially as ISIS took it pretty much with almost no resistance, and abandoned it with a decent fighting retreat that inflicted some decent losses on their enemy.

Regarding this issue of Dabiq, it features an article ostensibly written by John Cantlie. ISIS also claims responsibility for some actions in Bangladesh and KSA. Ends with an interview with the alleged Emir of the "Khilafa's soldiers in Bengal". Interview contains a lot of vitriol directed at Jamaat-e-Islami and "deviant sects" like Hindus, Sufis, Christians etc. Says they would like to one day be able to strike at Burma/Myanmar to protect the Muslim population there (the Rohingya, who are being persecuted) but first they must establish a stronghold in Bangladesh itself.

quote:

The Muslims in Burma have been oppressed by the mushrik Buddhists for a long period of time. Our hearts are with them and we believe it is a duty upon us to help them and support them in every possible way. And we will begin launching operations within Burma once we’ve reached the capability to do so, bi idnillâh.
However, we believe it will be more effective to strengthen the jihâd front in Bengal first before fully moving into Burma, as fighting the nearer murtaddîn takes precedence over fighting the farther enemy comprised of kuffâr asliyyîn (non-apostate disbelievers).

He says one of the obstacles to this is the Hindu population, that he says spread anti-Islamic propaganda and working with Indian intelligence.

quote:

Thus, we believe Sharī’ah in Bengal won’t be achieved until the local Hindus are targeted in mass numbers and until a state of polarization is created in the region, dividing between the believers and the disbelievers, bi idhnillāh.

Also talk about possible co-ordination with Wilayat Khurasan (AF-PAK), and what that could possibly mean for long term plans to attack in India.

Radio Prune fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 13, 2016

• Locked thread