Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
print scream key
Sep 20, 2012

Rookersh posted:

The bigger issue at the end of the PvE endgame is that nobody can get in contact with Moscow/D.C anymore.

When did they say this? I'm not doubting you or anything, I'm just literally asking how I missed this bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

WirelessPillow posted:

They could fix a lot of those percieved issues of killing everyone who disagrees by having a friendly faction that occasionally trades/works with you but has a different method to the same agenda.

Does the JTF not count, or are they too omnipresent?

A smaller faction of people working to help out would be cool, but the way the JTF is written into the story implies that everyone that would be from such a faction is already working with the JTF. All the dudes you talk to go out of their way to say that they were just regular city workers, or mobsters, before they got issued their green vest.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

kidrobotx posted:

When did they say this? I'm not doubting you or anything, I'm just literally asking how I missed this bit.

Russian dude's journals? ( I think, it might be something else, but it was a collectible ) mention the Embassy staff bugged out when they couldn't contact Moscow anymore, and he can't get in touch with them either.

If you stand near the SatComs guys long enough, there's a guy that says basically "Has anybody gotten in touch with D.C recently? I've been trying for hours, and nothing."

The irony of Keener obsessing over the virus sample he has is the rest of the world is probably already infected, and any cure built with genetic drift in mind would be able to handle anything he does to it, unless he drastically changes it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 14, 2016

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

kidrobotx posted:

Heard about Houston?
Heard about Detroit?
Heard about Pittsburgh, P. A.?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DblvhECdws0

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
There's a Brutal and Vicious MP5 N for sale in the Advanced Weapons vendor in the BoO for anyone that doesn't have one yet :toot:

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
what the gently caress

Also, I'm getting sick of the menu UI. perfect example of form over function. the animations make it sluggish, takes up too much room without giving you enough information so you're constantly fuckin' scrolling (whichseems to get stuck or snag on certain menus), bugs out when the camera collides with something (along with numerous other bugs), that droney rear end music, ugh

rebalance some guns so everyone isn't just running vector/m1a already, christ

AF fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 14, 2016

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Shanghaied posted:

On another note, if there's one commentary that the game was trying to make, it's that the US government/JTF was super incompetent.

Making the JTF incompetent as NPCs is a feature that makes the player relevant to gameplay. If you could sit behind a few JTF and let them take care of the rushing enemies it would make it more of a case of super powered NPCs making the player irrelevant to the game.

And as for incompetence, I don't think it's stupidity that made Manhattan a war zone but the fact that containing a pandemic like this is really loving hard from a bureaucratic, resource, and ethical standpoint. Fwiw, FEMA in the game did everything they were prepared to do by opening up clinics all around the city. What they overlooked was the fact that they weren't treating smallpox but an artificial variant that they had no knowledge about and it decimated them.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
This may come as a surprise to you all, but I found another armor talent that does not work as described. The body armor talent "Vigorous" says "Grants Overheal to all healing skills." If you're playing a support role this sounds like it would be great, however it doesn't apply to all healing skills, just some. First Aid? Yeah, you can switch over to the +damage mod or the revive mod. Support Station? Nope, no overheal on that one. You'll still get overheal on medkits though.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

Anime_Otaku posted:

http://youtu.be/4jKsj345Jjw

A YouTube channel I like did a video on why The Division's premise is kind of scary and not in the "OMG! We're all gonna die of plague" way, I found it fairly interesting as a non American.

That video is just precious. This game is as informative about America and it's cultural problems as Assassin's Creed 3 was a documentary of the Revolutionary War.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I think it's been discussed before in the thread, but does fear that increases kill XP only apply to regular levels, or does it apply to DZ as well? Seems like a hilarious feature on ilvl 31 gear if it doesn't apply to the DZ.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

AF posted:

I don't think Massive understand weapon balance in their own game. I mean they literally added the highest level blueprints for an AUG and M1A, GS 204 in this patch. The only thing they did was duplicate some DZ recipes for the BoO. So there aren't even new weapons to craft if you want to make and use subpar weapons.

So back to crafting. For the SMG/M1A combo.

I mean I got a really nice M60 with awesome talents on it but by the time they rebalance the weapons, it will be a couple of tiers behind and useless.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

AF posted:

what the gently caress

Yes and? Mechanix is a very well-known brand if you use your hands for anything but jacking off. They've gone full out TACTICAL lately though, which explains the whole Division thing.

AF posted:

HEY NOW. Some of us are running MP5N/M1A. And whenever someone hits 90, there'll be people running the AUGP/M1A. See? VARIETY! :downs:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Woo, Balanced and Coolheaded... on a MK20 SSR. :sigh: at least I can probably use the free coolheaded roll on it for a skill build if I'm really hurting for cooldowns and don't feel like hitting the 1889 Firearms for Caduceus.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Trying out this new exploit with 3 guys and then 1 of them left and it's loving agonizing. If you're decently geared, it's actually faster to just do the incursion normally. I actually beat it faster last night with a group doing it normally :saddowns:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Naturally Selected posted:

Yes and? Mechanix is a very well-known brand if you use your hands for anything but jacking off. They've gone full out TACTICAL lately though, which explains the whole Division thing.

HEY NOW. Some of us are running MP5N/M1A. And whenever someone hits 90, there'll be people running the AUGP/M1A. See? VARIETY! :downs:
gently caress, when did mechanix get so expensive? The whole thing that was so cool about them is that were solid gloves for under $10. They don't particularly last long, but you could buy 5 pairs at a time. The original also isn't the original, what the hell did they do with their brand?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Chasiubao posted:

Trying out this new exploit with 3 guys and then 1 of them left and it's loving agonizing. If you're decently geared, it's actually faster to just do the incursion normally. I actually beat it faster last night with a group doing it normally :saddowns:

I got it working after playing around with the timing on the initial glitch, I guess it works to get mats but the dude's loot table is real lovely (or maybe I just had bad luck). I did it like a dozen times and I only got vests, holsters, and performance mods.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Got 3 pieces of the Sentry's Call set and man, having 30% headshot damage and 20% damage to elites is really good. Can't wait until I get the 4th set bonus.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Bold Robot posted:

I got it working after playing around with the timing on the initial glitch, I guess it works to get mats but the dude's loot table is real lovely (or maybe I just had bad luck). I did it like a dozen times and I only got vests, holsters, and performance mods.

I got a somewhat decently rolled Sentry chestpiece. Not worth it overall, took way too long.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

That video is just precious. This game is as informative about America and it's cultural problems as Assassin's Creed 3 was a documentary of the Revolutionary War.

Informative isn't the point; reinforcing negative stereotypes is

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Chasiubao posted:

Exploit? Someone please explain this to me!

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Aesis posted:

Exploit? Someone please explain this to me!

Dinurth posted:

You can still get through the doors in police academy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNzGXGRPf7Q

The timing to start it off is real finnicky. Tap the skill juuuuuust before you get to the door. It's alright but like many of these exploits it's real boring and doesn't quite feel worth your time.

ils
Jan 22, 2001

Bold Robot posted:

it's real boring and doesn't quite feel worth your time.
This should be The Division's tagline.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Bold Robot posted:

The timing to start it off is real finnicky. Tap the skill juuuuuust before you get to the door. It's alright but like many of these exploits it's real boring and doesn't quite feel worth your time.
Sorry but I meant the incursion exploit.

But yeah Police Academy exploit is boring.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Informative isn't the point; reinforcing negative stereotypes is

It's a loving video game, where you have distinct groups of enemies that you fight. These groups have themes, and outfits that go along with those themes so that the player can easily tell who they are shooting/being shot by. Would you feel better about it if one group was priests, and one doctors, and one bankers? Maybe a group of anarchist college professors, replete with tweed jackets?

Seriously, I'm all for not reinforcing stereotypes but pick your battles man.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

eSporks posted:

gently caress, when did mechanix get so expensive? The whole thing that was so cool about them is that were solid gloves for under $10. They don't particularly last long, but you could buy 5 pairs at a time. The original also isn't the original, what the hell did they do with their brand?

When some HSLD dudes got photographed wearing them and mechanix went from a glove to a tactical oorah downrange hsld :suicide: protective hand warfare implement :suicide: bullshit, with the attendant shittifying in quality and tripling in price.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Sir Tonk posted:

Does the JTF not count, or are they too omnipresent?

A smaller faction of people working to help out would be cool, but the way the JTF is written into the story implies that everyone that would be from such a faction is already working with the JTF. All the dudes you talk to go out of their way to say that they were just regular city workers, or mobsters, before they got issued their green vest.

JTF stands for Joint Task Force, in this context you could assume that Division agents are JTF, or at least are the boss of them. I feel smaller survival factions that aren't interested in straight up joining the JTF, but are interested in Trading resources for survival purposes. Pretty sure some Mob like groups would turn to resource management in situations like this,and would perceptively be good unlike the Rikers, hell they might even directly oppose the Rikers while trying to hire rioters, the trade and ally with JTF but do not work directly with them and as a result you have a friendly faction, that will not shoot on sight, that has the same short term agenda "survival" but a different long term agenda "Economic strength without the politic control".

Some JTF left to join the LMB, that implies that the LMB had some communication with groups other than shoot on sight before we came along and shot on sight, so it wouldn't be to unlikely to have a faction that want's nothing to do with either, but will trade with you because you aren't threatening them with a bullet to the face if they don't join JTF.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol what national prison problem

Shanghaied posted:

But that's no justification though. That's like saying the Birth of a Nation is not a problematic film because it showed the blacks as violent rapists and lazy drunkards who prevent the whites from voting and rigged an election. See, now the actions of the Klan is totally justified!

As far as the LMB goes, so what, PMC's have pretty much been evil in games for the last decade. That might be a problem for all the honest, kind and hard working military contractors out there, but just because they mention one issue, doesn't mean they have to mention every issue.

It's funny though, because Massive is based in Malmö, which has a whole lot of racial problems of its own - Rosengård, which has often been referred to as a no-go area for police and emergency services; rising anti-Semitism and the flight of the city's Jewish population; possibly dozens of young men traveling to Syria to fight for ISIS; the city government completely ignoring the problem and claims that there's no issue of radicalisation; stop-and-frisks without cause by the police targeting certain minorities; and the police maintaining a massive registry of Romani people, including toddlers and young children, where the overwhelming majority of people on it are not convicted or suspected of a crimes, and who are only on it because they have some distant third or fourth cousin or something who is a criminal, "'cause, like, Gypsy crimes often have family character or something"; it's also home to hundreds of couples in which one person is Danish and the other from a non-EU country, and they can't live in Denmark because of the country's notoriously strict spousal visa rules.

I mean Malmö is still a beautiful city with a vibrant culture scene and great food that I wouldn't mind moving to should professional or personal circumstances dictate, but the developers have to the whitest motherfuckers around if they are not aware of the issues of race, considering they work and live in a city that exemplifies those perhaps more than any other city in Sweden.

I do wonder though how much Ubisoft has had a hand in that though. Barrett pretty much says something like "go on kill me, it's just one more black body on the pile" at the end of Lex. So maybe there's was more commentary on race, but it was cut because, let's not make our overwhelmingly white customer base uncomfortable.

lmao holy poo poo if that poo poo about malmo is true then that explains everything

As for the weirdly human/subversive touches, I swear Ubi specifically keeps culturally-in-toucheducated people on staff to inject just enough of that poo poo to get them off the hook.

And loving lol at goons ITT who don't know what a lovely caricature is and clearly don't want to admit how utterly childish and stupid this entire premise is. It's okay to play with your virtual guns and no one is going to take them away from you or my cold dead hands, motherfukcer. But if you really can't see how problematic the face text of this game is then people will make fun of you for that.

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Don't get me wrong, the whole sleeper agent secret police thing used domestically is pretty hosed up. But if you really think the game is about murdering poor, desperate people then here's an experiment. Play for a while role-playing by announcing your presence as a federal agent and your authorization to use deadly force, and then only shoot at people who shoot at you first.

Hhahahahahaahahaahahahaahahaahahahahaahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

Akion posted:

It's a loving video game, where you have distinct groups of enemies that you fight. These groups have themes, and outfits that go along with those themes so that the player can easily tell who they are shooting/being shot by. Would you feel better about it if one group was priests, and one doctors, and one bankers? Maybe a group of anarchist college professors, replete with tweed jackets?

Seriously, I'm all for not reinforcing stereotypes but pick your battles man.
:goonsay:

Too lazy to type more ha's but fuckin lol

Sivlan posted:

Shooters: Fast movement, fast gun play, quick rewards tailored at short, fun play sessions. Tends to ignore storyline (debatable)
RPGs: Slower movement, strategic play, longer progression to reward extended planning and play. Tends to focus on story and narrative more than other genres.
Online: Full of terrible internet people.

There's a lot of contradictions in blending the two genres so there's a lot going against it. Online just makes everything harder.

True but none of those things are why this game is so bad

lol someone on reddit made a better game http://darkzone.nightbug.se/dopamine/

Oh hey an actual good came out what's that all ab

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

WirelessPillow posted:

JTF stands for Joint Task Force, in this context you could assume that Division agents are JTF, or at least are the boss of them. I feel smaller survival factions that aren't interested in straight up joining the JTF, but are interested in Trading resources for survival purposes. Pretty sure some Mob like groups would turn to resource management in situations like this,and would perceptively be good unlike the Rikers, hell they might even directly oppose the Rikers while trying to hire rioters, the trade and ally with JTF but do not work directly with them and as a result you have a friendly faction, that will not shoot on sight, that has the same short term agenda "survival" but a different long term agenda "Economic strength without the politic control".

Having the mob controlling an area, or at least the supply line in an area, would be interesting.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sir Tonk posted:

Having the mob controlling an area, or at least the supply line in an area, would be interesting.

One of the safehouse peeps is literally a wise guy, capiche? Even the mafia joined the JTF :v: And yes, we already went through like three pages of people being outraged over the unfair stereotyping of italian-americans as joe pesci jokes.

E: Nope, not taking the bait.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 14, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So this finished downloading, I fired it up and went through the first 3 side missions to get a feel for the game.

Looks really loving good and runs surprisingly well. I like how the guns sound so far (if not how they feel, but maybe better weapons will have more oomph),

So, what now? Do I just keep murdering the poor and desperate until I'm a high enough level to do "raids" with you guys?

What do I do with extra gear? Just sell it, or dismantle it for eventual crafting?

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Edmond Dantes posted:

So this finished downloading, I fired it up and went through the first 3 side missions to get a feel for the game.

Looks really loving good and runs surprisingly well. I like how the guns sound so far (if not how they feel, but maybe better weapons will have more oomph),

So, what now? Do I just keep murdering the poor and desperate until I'm a high enough level to do "raids" with you guys?

What do I do with extra gear? Just sell it, or dismantle it for eventual crafting?

You also shoot dogs to cleanse the city of the virus, also to test how hard your guns crit

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

When some HSLD dudes got photographed wearing them and mechanix went from a glove to a tactical oorah downrange hsld :suicide: protective hand warfare implement :suicide: bullshit, with the attendant shittifying in quality and tripling in price.

Sadly this is right. Mechanix was great because they were one of the few ultra-thin gloves designed for well... Mechanics.

Whatever manufacture they switched to when they reached popularity, really poo poo the bed.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Bold Robot posted:

Has anyone gotten this to work? Just trying it out now and I can't figure out the timing to get the initial door glitch.
Yes, it works. It's a bit finicky though.

You need to tap the skill button just as you pass a specific point, and continue running into the door, don't slow down or anything. The activation is "delayed" and will end up pulling you through the doors.

It usually works for me when I tap the skill when I'm at the distance marked in the screenshot.

The nice thing is once you do it, you can abuse the old method by dropping down barricade in the open doorway before you start the mission again.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I went to the tough surgical gloves a few years ago anyway, keeps all the oil and whatever off your hands.

E: Nope, not taking the bait.

lol

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Daily and Weekly missions would be better if they actually gave you gear. Nope, instead you get DivTech which you use to buy blueprints you can't use because crafting takes a shitload of materials.

Massive is loving this game up terribly. You want people to stop playing on a positive note so they'll be excited about the next DLC. You aren't getting a drat subscription fee, there is literally no reason to make people work the loot treadmill this poorly.

There is a really good game somewhere under all the incompetence.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
As bad as all the bugs have been they're still far more interesting than any discussion involving the word "problematic" :rolleyes:

More importantly, where's Gibbed's daily update?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

As bad as all the bugs have been they're still far more interesting than any discussion involving the word "problematic" :rolleyes:

More importantly, where's Gibbed's daily update?

It was judged as too problematic for promoting the use of COLORING to change the nature of weapons and hide their true identity as merciless killing implements.

This was an actual thing that Bloomberg flipped poo poo about. CAMO WILL MAKE GUNS HARD TO FIND.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 14, 2016

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Having put nothing into electronics, that incursion exploit is probably gonna take forever. I'll try it out tomorrow with a full group on challenging. I'd run through the actual incursion, but it's about as fun as doing this exploit.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Just did another incursion run where we just sat in the middle area with the two ammo boxes, only running out to get the bomb and place it. What riveting gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

gibbed posted:

Yes, it works. It's a bit finicky though.

You need to tap the skill button just as you pass a specific point, and continue running into the door, don't slow down or anything. The activation is "delayed" and will end up pulling you through the doors.

It usually works for me when I tap the skill when I'm at the distance marked in the screenshot.

The nice thing is once you do it, you can abuse the old method by dropping down barricade in the open doorway before you start the mission again.

I did this a few times earlier today and it's not worth it for a few reasons. The first being that Scarecrow only drops performance mods, and the second being that he only drops one item per kill. In their haste to get our collective hands out of the proverbial cookie jar, they reduced named enemy drop quantities from 4 down to 1. So instead of maybe finding a purple that might fit a niche build you literally get one high end performance mod and nothing else.

• Locked thread