Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Xae posted:

You make most of it out to the Medicare and Social Security trust funds then the rest out to 1%ers who own Tbonds as a stable base.

I do that every two weeks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
There is a quote from Adam Conover (comedian) who did a talk on marketing to millenials (posted it below). In that talk, he states, "This Time magazine piece of poo poo." in reference to a Time article on millennials. Completely applicable here.

Anyway, it's worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HFwok9SlQQ

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

No it's China and any day now they're going to call in that debt and foreclose on America.

Thats why we need someone that is willing to leverage bankruptcy laws to Make America Great Again.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Highlights for Adults is the news magazine you buy when your daily newspaper us USA Today because it has the big, full color weather map.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bushiz posted:

Highlights for Adults is the news magazine you buy when your daily newspaper us USA Today because it has the big, full color weather map.

Highlights Hello! is, by the way, also a superior magazine to Time. It contains about 8 pages, with two story rhymes, a find-it, and some pictures of babies. It is made of reasonably stiff plastic so it won't tear and can be drooled on and then cleaned!

Far superior.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bushiz posted:

Sorry I get frustrated when I can't find the differences between the two pictures and when I get frustrated I get mad and when I get mad I vote Republican.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I don't want to post the whole article because... whatever. But just breathe in this gem for a moment.

quote:

Attorneys for former House Speaker Dennis Hastert say they are not positive an allegation of a groin rub by a coach on a teenage wrestler constitutes sexual misconduct.

"While undoubtedly many would consider this episode as described by (Individual A) consisting of a groin rub for a groin pull and a massage, to be misconduct, we are not so certain that the incident qualifies as sexual misconduct, especially for a coach and trainer 42 years ago," lawyers Thomas C. Green and John N. Gallo wrote in the court document.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Boon posted:

I don't want to post the whole article because... whatever. But just breathe in this gem for a moment.

Oh my god. Yes, an adult teacher grabbing a teenager's crotch is definitely appropriate behavior. :suicide:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The National Association of Child Molesters is probably extremely hype to see if this line of defense actually works.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Bushiz posted:

I thought we were talking about Time not Newsweek.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

zoux posted:

No it's China and any day now they're going to call in that debt and foreclose on America.

Or drop EMPs across the land. Any day now...

(I know a retired guy who is absolutely sure that that will happen before he dies. When I disagreed, he looked ... disgusted.)

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Boon posted:

Zealous, vigorous defense of your client. But gently caress, that's gotta be a hard one for the attorneys to put forward. Hastert's money has to help.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Or drop EMPs across the land. Any day now...

(I know a retired guy who is absolutely sure that that will happen before he dies. When I disagreed, he looked ... disgusted.)

Was it John Bolton?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

zoux posted:

Do I just make out my check to China or what?

Its curious how all of America owes the same bill for military adventurism, the exploitation of the working class and no saftey net.

The restaurant bill has come to the table, and 95% of the diners have had a modest meal, some of which was undercooked, but it was the side dish so it's not going to kill them whatever. Mr. 1% before the bill becomes visible first shoos his personal assistant away whom is holding his sack of six dozen wallets and told him to go hide in the Philippines until he needs him. He quickly shoves his farm animal feeding trough into the middle of the table, puts on a baseball cap and grabs his neighbours plate which has a half eaten kale burger on it and loudly declares to the room: "OK everyone, let's all pay our fair share! We're going Dutch!"

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Highlights Hello! is, by the way, also a superior magazine to Time. It contains about 8 pages, with two story rhymes, a find-it, and some pictures of babies. It is made of reasonably stiff plastic so it won't tear and can be drooled on and then cleaned!

Far superior.

i loved Highlights as a kid, i don't like time as an adult, this checks out

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
remember when time republished word for word, complete with spelling and grammar errors, tal fortgang's ":qq: why i'll never apologize for my white privilege :qq:" op/ed from the princeton tory

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

zoux posted:

Do I just make out my check to China or what?

First we gotta balance our budget. If I asked for a $43k loan I'd never pay back, I'd get laughed out of the bank, so surely the United States is exactly the same because the country's finances are exactly like my own. And I don't like the idea of China laughing at us. Do you?

Now, since we obviously can't even consider not supporting our boys in uniform and stop buying F-35s (after all, I'd never sell my gun collection if I had that level of debt) which social security net should we gut? I'm thinking "everything those worthless non-boomers use". You?

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 14, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

First we gotta balance our budget. If I asked for a $43k loan I'd never pay back, I'd get laughed out of the bank, so surely the United States is exactly the same because the country's finances are exactly like my own. And I don't like the idea of China laughing at us. Do you?

Now, since we obviously can't even consider not supporting our boys in uniform and stop buying F-35s (after all, I'd never sell my gun collection if I had that level of debt) which social security net should we gut?

Listen if my white family has to tighten their belts around the kitchen table while working hard, should not the government fat cats have to do the same. Just a little country common-sense, I think.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Since most of our debt is internal I'm guessing paying off the debt in that fashion is just more upper class welfare.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Radish posted:

Since most of our debt is internal I'm guessing paying off the debt in that fashion is just more upper class welfare.

Corporations are people my friend. :hurr:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Ok, so I owe 43 grand. When can I expect my check for an equal share of all of America's assets?

Oh, that's not how this works? Funny, that.

Which third-way debt hawk think-tank does James Grant belong to and how much did securing the cover of America's bathroom reader cost them?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Sell off federal land to strip mining and clear-cutting!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Now, since we obviously can't even consider not supporting our boys in uniform and stop buying F-35s (after all, I'd never sell my gun collection if I had that level of debt) which social security net should we gut? I'm thinking "everything those worthless non-boomers use". You?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJUyPjguq6E&t=54s

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

I'm not entitled to the money that I paid in over my entire working life? Why, exactly?

The comments on that video are cancer.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

DemeaninDemon posted:

#SellYellowstone

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey guys in case you were wondering if Mike Lee is still a huge poo poo-stain and seeping hemorrhoid on the rear end in a top hat of humanity; well he still is!

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/13/politics/congress-flint-michigan-water-funding/index.html

quote:

Bipartisan Senate leaders reached an agreement Wednesday on a long-stalled energy modernization bill that some had hoped would include money to address the drinking water crisis in Flint, Michigan. But because the Flint provision is still the subject of a hold by Utah Republican Sen. Mike Lee -- who objects to the way it is funded -- the energy bill will now move on without it.

The setback is significant, because even if Lee's concerns are resolved eventually, it will likely be time-consuming and complicated to find a new legislative vehicle to pass the money for Flint.

Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow quickly issued a statement knocking Lee for holding up the funds, which she argues are desperately needed. "It's totally unacceptable that Sen. Lee continues to block a vote on our fully paid for, bipartisan agreement to help Flint and other communities across the nation who have serious lead and water problems," the Democrat said. "This is about something as basic as making sure families have clean water to drink and children with lead poisoning get the help they need." "We will not give up until this gets done using whatever legislative vehicle it takes," she added.

The Flint measure would provide $250 million for repairs to its lead-leaching water lines as well as deal with the health effects on the city's residents. The money would also be available to other communities with drinking water problems. A spokesman for Lee declined to comment on the developments.

The energy bill had been held up over a dispute between Florida Sen. Bill Nelson, a Democrat, and Louisiana Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy over a coastal drilling amendment. "We had yet another small victory today in our ongoing fight to keep oil rigs away from Florida's coast," Nelson said in a statement.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Radbot posted:

I'm not entitled to the money that I paid in over my entire working life? Why, exactly?

The comments on that video are cancer.

My loving favorite thing is that Frank Underwood is a Democrat.

Not even the most conservative blue dog would ever suggest gutting the social safety net. Took me right out of Season 3.

And yes, even for YouTube comments, those are particularly awful.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

WampaLord posted:

Not even the most conservative blue dog would ever suggest gutting the social safety net. Took me right out of Season 3.

Yeah that was cringeworthy to watch during the show because it was completely out of touch with reality. Bush pushed hard for Social Security reform 10 years ago and probably cost his party both houses of congress over it. Cutting entitlements is political suicide and it's only going to get worse.

Especially if you're a Democrat. This is one of the reasons people vote for you.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

Most companies don't want to buy federal land anymore.

They like the leasing arrangement. That way they don't end up paying property tax for 100+ years as they try to unload the land.

http://www.twincities.com/2013/08/24/minnesotas-lake-vermilion-state-park-evolving-at-a-cautious-pace/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WampaLord posted:

Didn't Obama offer to gut the social safety net but it failed because the Tea Party wanted even more?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Didn't Obama offer to gut the social safety net but it failed because the Tea Party wanted even more?

I wouldn't call a proposed raising of the age where benefits kick in a "gutting" per se, but yes, that's basically what happened.

In the context of the clip I posted, the fictional President is talking about totally disbanding Medicard/Social Security/Medicaid to pay for a jobs program. Too old or sick to work? gently caress you!

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yeah that was cringeworthy to watch during the show because it was completely out of touch with reality. Bush pushed hard for Social Security reform 10 years ago and probably cost his party both houses of congress over it. Cutting entitlements is political suicide and it's only going to get worse.

Especially if you're a Democrat. This is one of the reasons people vote for you.

It makes me wonder what the Republicans in House of Cards would even run on for economic policy, Frank's already fulfilled their dream.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yes, he did. Obama absolutely wanted to cut entitlements as part of the Grand Bargain. Not sure why these other folks think a Democrat would "never" do that - Democrats are itching to cut entitlements to show their conservative chops. It's doubtless Hillary would do the same.

WampaLord posted:

I wouldn't call a proposed raising of the age where benefits kick in a "gutting" per se, but yes, that's basically what happened.

In the context of the clip I posted, the fictional President is talking about totally disbanding Medicard/Social Security/Medicaid to pay for a jobs program. Too old or sick to work? gently caress you!

I would call a drastic reduction of benefits a "gutting", yes. And he wanted to slash Medicaid and Medicare as well, primarily through a Chained CPI (aka gently caress your COLAs): https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/04/05/the-morning-plum-why-obama-wants-a-grand-bargain/

Gee, I wonder why folks are concerned about a continuation of Obama's policies.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 14, 2016

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

1stGear posted:

There was some goon ages ago who made the excellent suggestion that the statue could stay, it just had to be rotated 180 degrees.

I know you mean around the Y-Axis but I originally imagined this around the X-Axis and couldn't stop giggling

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WampaLord posted:

What you have to remember - and this is hard for anyone in a profession or who :spergin: about one - is that how characters do their jobs is not a reflection on reality, but on that character. Frank is proposing that not because it's politically feasible, but because he legitimately believes that and is airing it out for all the world to see.

In previous seasons he did do compromises, but that's because he didn't really care about the outcome. his goal was becoming President, and he would backstab or elevate anyone that would make that goal a reality. Now (or as of that clip) there's nowhere else to go.

WampaLord posted:

It makes me wonder what the Republicans in House of Cards would even run on for economic policy, Frank's already fulfilled their dream.

The Presidential candidate in S4 basically ran completely on bombing not-ISIS and how Frank's not doing that (also he's a deadringer for JFK).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It's pretty funny how people forget that "chained CPI" can be manipulated at the whim of the executive branch.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

fishmech posted:

It's pretty funny how people forget that "chained CPI" can be manipulated at the whim of the executive branch.

It's not that funny, actually.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radbot posted:

It's not that funny, actually.

It's remarkable how you are just so consistently the worst.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've mentioned this before, but I'm pretty sure Underwood is supposed to be a Republican, considering how Francis Urquhart in the original was a Tory MP bemoaning the fall of Maggie Thatcher.

It's just that "a Republican President dismantles Social Security" would be perceived as mean-spirited and overtly biased in today's can't-actually-say-what-you-really-mean-even-if-we-all-know-it climate of political discourse.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
No, the whole point of the show is that he cares more about power than principles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've mentioned this before, but I'm pretty sure Underwood is supposed to be a Republican, considering how Francis Urquhart in the original was a Tory MP bemoaning the fall of Maggie Thatcher.

It's just that "a Republican President dismantles Social Security" would be perceived as mean-spirited and overtly biased in today's can't-actually-say-what-you-really-mean-even-if-we-all-know-it climate of political discourse.

They've said they wanted to have him be a Democrat because they have (or had as of the show's creation) a larger range of political beliefs.

So more likely the factor was that they wanted Frank to to a bunch of intraparty conflict but if he was a Republican there would be only very very minor issues to disagree about. This is reflected in reality in the Republican Primary, where no one really disagrees with anyone about policy..

• Locked thread