Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

dmboogie posted:

For those who are unaware, this is due to the game literally ending after marriage if you play as the girl, while the boy can continue indefinitely and have kids and all that good stuff. It took Harvest Moon a loooooong time to get the female character option right.

Haha god drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

dmboogie posted:

For those who are unaware, this is due to the game literally ending after marriage if you play as the girl, while the boy can continue indefinitely and have kids and all that good stuff. It took Harvest Moon a loooooong time to get the female character option right.

Lol

Spellman
May 31, 2011

dmboogie posted:

For those who are unaware, this is due to the game literally ending after marriage if you play as the girl, while the boy can continue indefinitely and have kids and all that good stuff.

Just like real life

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dmboogie posted:

:japan:

(The first HM with a female PC that continued indefinitely was More Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA.)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

(The first HM with a female PC that continued indefinitely was More Friends of Mineral Town on the GBA.)

Another reason why the Mineral Town games were pretty great! It's still pretty ridiculous how long they kept up that "if you wanna play as a girl buy the ~girl version~" thing though.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Pretty much pick the male option for every Japanese game. There is still a good chance the male option is just straight better. My latest example is final fantasy explorer. Females only get 2 magic outfits and no strength outfits and males get 2 strength outfits and no magic. Strength builds tend to be way better and more diverse.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Shwqa posted:

Pretty much pick the male option for every Japanese game. There is still a good chance the male option is just straight better. My latest example is final fantasy explorer. Females only get 2 magic outfits and no strength outfits and males get 2 strength outfits and no magic. Strength builds tend to be way better and more diverse.

as a girl I will continue to pick the girl option

thank you

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shwqa posted:

In Fire Emblem: Fates picking the female option is pretty much the only way to get all the kid units unless you want to marry some supportless loser

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

dmboogie posted:

Another reason why the Mineral Town games were pretty great! It's still pretty ridiculous how long they kept up that "if you wanna play as a girl buy the ~girl version~" thing though.

This is true, but you have no idea how much untranslated dialog I've found over the years in them.

gj Natsume.

Shwqa posted:

Pokemon gender choice doesn't matter. In fact, playing the female is better in XY because you get more clothes to play dress up with. :colbert:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Shwqa posted:

Eh, that's a pretty big generalization. Most Japanese games I've played where you can pick your dude's gender have them be statistically identical.

hopeandjoy posted:

This is true, but you have no idea how much untranslated dialog I've found over the years in them.

gj Natsume.

Oh, definitely. Harvest Moon games have always been good in spite of Natsume, not because of them.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

TheKingofSprings posted:

In Fire Emblem: Fates picking the female option is pretty much the only way to get all the kid units unless you want to marry some supportless loser

I can't believe you'd talk about Anna that way

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Shwqa posted:

nah

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Shwqa posted:

in Monster Hunter, the female characters get way better and more diverse armor options

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

If anyone's on the fence about Little Battlers eXperience, Target is torching their stock for $15 a copy (It's really fun, buy it!). Xenoblade's $40 too and they're selling N3DS cover plates for $5 apiece.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hopeandjoy posted:

Pokemon gender choice doesn't matter. In fact, playing the female is better in XY because you get more clothes to play dress up with. :colbert:

but as a dude I can buy a fedora so I don't see why I'd want anything else

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ausgoons

If anyone's on the fence about Little Battlers eXperience, Target is torching their stock for $15 a copy (It's really fun, buy it!). Xenoblade's $40 too and they're selling N3DS cover plates for $5 apiece.

Seconding the recommendation for LBX. The difficulty is really low during the story but the postgame content ranges from challenging to brutal. The game also has some surprisingly fun juggle combos given its design as a children's robot 3D action game and a few other gameplay restrictions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The price is good but not so good that I'm willing to go to Target to get a copy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The price is good but not so good that I'm willing to go to Target to get a copy.

Target's prices on games are generally pretty good compared to EB/JB, and you can find some nice bargains when they REALLY want stuff off the shelves.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Kaubocks posted:

but as a dude I can buy a fedora so I don't see why I'd want anything else

You can buy both fedoras and pretty dresses as a girl so I think we all know who wins here.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Spellman posted:

The literal insanity that is Nintendo's digital distribution.

There is a small workaround though, you can buy codes for games off nintendo.com and give those codes to your friends.

When he said no consoles, he meant "no consoles" not just "no Nintendo consoles".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hopeandjoy posted:

It also has the best marriage of either gender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJoKByZtX30

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Im playing both Miitomo and Dark Souls right now and it's cool that in both games neither clothing nor facial hair is gender-locked

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah, the girl trainer gets nearly double the number of clothing items, and you can make the peasants call you Lady in addition to your normal name.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shwqa posted:

Im honestly struggling to think of examples of this.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Girls don't get the Pangoro hat in XY. :colbert:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Shwqa posted:

In Fantasy Life, girls and boys are statistically identical and play exactly the same, but girls get better and cuter outfits. :colbert:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

boom boom boom posted:

in Monster Hunter, the female characters get way better and more diverse armor options

Oof, I don't know about that. My 3U char was female and I was pretty annoyed by the usual face and midriff exposure in an overwhelming majority of sets I saw. 4U I play a dude and half of it makes him look like a goddamn Gundam, plus I got to give him a pompadour and smarmy poo poo eating grin that made it feel like he deserved every time he got walloped in a monster intro cutscene.

Frankly I think you should be able to get either style as either sex and mix and match at will.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

LODGE NORTH posted:

All 3DS games are region locked right? I have a hacked 3DS that has region locks removed, but when I put Bravely Default in, the game starts in Japanese (Japanese console). No other game I have does this.

The region free thing just removes the lock on the game so it starts, the console will still forward your 3DS's region to the game. If it has a fitting localization (and apparently Bravely Default still has the japanese files?) it'll automatically choose that one.

You can get around it by booting into the Homebrew Launcher, then choosing HANS, then launch Bravely Default through it. HANS will give you the option to change the region the game sees before it boots, and should allow you to change the language to English.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

In Fantasy Life, girls and boys are statistically identical and play exactly the same, but girls get better and cuter outfits. :colbert:

Imo everyone should get all the clothes.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Silver Falcon posted:

Pokemon X/Y also has better clothing options for girls.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

In Animal Crossing you can dress in whatever the hell you want, although if a male buys female clothes Sable will get a little weird about it, from what I hear.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Mad Hamish posted:

In Animal Crossing you can dress in whatever the hell you want, although if a male buys female clothes Sable will get a little weird about it, from what I hear.

If you try on the clothes she'll act surprised and comment on the player's bold choice, but I don't think she does it in a way that discourages the player from dressing the way they want to.

If you buy it without trying it on she'll assume it's a gift.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Animal Crossing The Line

TWEWY will repeatedly make you wish you were playing a girl after you see the stats on those dresses.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

SelenicMartian posted:

Animal Crossing The Line

TWEWY will repeatedly make you wish you were playing a girl after you see the stats on those dresses.

So then you raise your Bravery and do it anyway.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

hopeandjoy posted:

So then you raise your Bravery and do it anyway.

Good old TWEWY', the story of a scarred kid who learns to open up to others while chugging incredible amounts of ice cream so that he'll fit into a skirt.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Good old TWEWY', the story of a scarred kid who learns to open up to others while chugging incredible amounts of ice cream so that he'll fit into a skirt.

Speaking of which, has anything been said of the supposed sequel or whatever the hell Square teased at the end of the mobile version?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It ended up being a tease for another mobile game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slur posted:

Speaking of which, has anything been said of the supposed sequel or whatever the hell Square teased at the end of the mobile version?

It was some mobile game that is already dead I think

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shin Megami Tensei IV Final coming over as Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse this Summer.
https://twitter.com/RPGSite/status/720639482974703616

edit: Here's a trailer from Atlus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8oEjmBtRTA

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

NinjaDebugger posted:

Ice cream? Please, it's all about the ginseng roots or whatever they were. And pills.