Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.
Dark Souls is NES hard, basically. Once you know something is there and how to handle it, it's no longer threatening to you. The whole game is just tuned so that recovering from mistakes that you make is hard/resource intensive. So instead of fighting a boss and getting badly beaten up before you figure out the pattern and win, you'll just die and have to run back through the less threatening enemies you've already encountered. This makes the game about memorization and caution, but leads to it feeling super satisfying when knowing how to handle an enemy lets you chump it really easily. Instead of your resource exhaustion being tied to something like Character Level (though that still factors in) it's, in theory, tied to Player Skill. The first time you fight the boss maybe you got there with half health and one healing item, but having already encountered the stuff between you and the boss you'll likely show up better prepared this time.

The real secret to Dark Souls is to play like you're playing 1e D&D with an rear end in a top hat DM who's going to murder you if you don't carefully inspect everything. Personally I feel like Monster Hunter hits most of the same notes but wastes my time a lot less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Afriscipio posted:

What do you mean by "take that?"

"Maneuvers that directly attack an opposing player's strength, level, life points or do something else to impede their progress, while usually providing the main engine for player interaction in the game."

Pax Pamir is non stop loving your neighbors, if your group likes that, they'll probably like Pax Pamir (assuming the theme isn't too weird for them, and they can handle a somewhat fiddly ruleset).

Although the rules really aren't that bad. The base actions are really simple, and even the special actions aren't bad, they just have some small exceptions/reactions that are easy to forget (the living rulebook on BGG is way better at highlighting them than the paper manual). Also get the game board, it's so worth it. It's sold via Sierra Madre (and it also comes with the Pax Porf deluxe version).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

djfooboo posted:

I am so stoked to be graduating in May! Means I get to devote much more time to boardgaming/Netrunning. :woop:

I think you will actually find that leaving college severely decreases you ability to boardgame. Sorry for your loss.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Rutibex posted:

I think you will actually find that leaving college severely decreases you ability to boardgame. Sorry for your loss.

False. I am a nursing student. Among the most time-consuming soul-sucking Bachelor Degree offerings. I will be working 3 day work weeks. This leaves 4 days of gaming/loving off.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Misandu posted:

Dark Souls is NES hard, basically. Once you know something is there and how to handle it, it's no longer threatening to you. The whole game is just tuned so that recovering from mistakes that you make is hard/resource intensive. So instead of fighting a boss and getting badly beaten up before you figure out the pattern and win, you'll just die and have to run back through the less threatening enemies you've already encountered. This makes the game about memorization and caution, but leads to it feeling super satisfying when knowing how to handle an enemy lets you chump it really easily. Instead of your resource exhaustion being tied to something like Character Level (though that still factors in) it's, in theory, tied to Player Skill. The first time you fight the boss maybe you got there with half health and one healing item, but having already encountered the stuff between you and the boss you'll likely show up better prepared this time.

The real secret to Dark Souls is to play like you're playing 1e D&D with an rear end in a top hat DM who's going to murder you if you don't carefully inspect everything. Personally I feel like Monster Hunter hits most of the same notes but wastes my time a lot less.

Honestly, once you find the bosses, you can basically skip past like 99% of the intervening enemies anyways since they don't really chase you. Despite what you always hear about the games being so difficult or whatever, there's an equal amount of fun for me in just exploring the world and uncovering secrets and lore.

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Taran_Wanderer posted:

One of my favorite authors, Brandon Sanderson, is having a board game made based on one of his series. I'll probably just get it regardless, as Mistborn is pretty cool, but I don't have high hopes as for quality.

Yeah...it'll likely be a sucker move, but I'm probably in.

Incidentally, the Mistborn RPG is pretty solid, but that doesn't really have anything to do with this board game.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

taser rates posted:

Honestly, once you find the bosses, you can basically skip past like 99% of the intervening enemies anyways since they don't really chase you. Despite what you always hear about the games being so difficult or whatever, there's an equal amount of fun for me in just exploring the world and uncovering secrets and lore.

Fair enough, but I'd say "you can just run by these dudes" is just another way that they're not a threat anymore. The only reason they put trivial enemies you can run by between you and the boss is to create that illusion of difficulty until you learn the ropes. A lot of games have decided that making you spend a minute running by content that you've already cleared is just frustrating to players, but Dark Souls keeps it in because it wants that reputation. Which is totally fine! It fits the tone of the game and the lore, which is a HUGE appeal for the game. No one would want to play the 'dry euro' version of Dark Souls.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

T-Bone posted:

"Maneuvers that directly attack an opposing player's strength, level, life points or do something else to impede their progress, while usually providing the main engine for player interaction in the game."

Pax Pamir is non stop loving your neighbors, if your group likes that, they'll probably like Pax Pamir (assuming the theme isn't too weird for them, and they can handle a somewhat fiddly ruleset).

Although the rules really aren't that bad. The base actions are really simple, and even the special actions aren't bad, they just have some small exceptions/reactions that are easy to forget (the living rulebook on BGG is way better at highlighting them than the paper manual). Also get the game board, it's so worth it. It's sold via Sierra Madre (and it also comes with the Pax Porf deluxe version).

Cool thanks. May not be what my group can handle comfortably.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Can we please not poo poo up another thread with Dark Souls vidya-game talk?

Please take it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771816

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Oldstench posted:

Can we please not poo poo up another thread with Dark Souls vidya-game talk?

Please take it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771816

To be fair, with the announcement of the DS board game, it's pretty reasonable to expect people to discuss the brand and what it entails here, in the board game thread, if nothing else for the sake of informing those unfamiliar of what the board game might consist of thematically.

But to turn back to actual BG discussion: I finally picked up the first expansion for Istanbul from Rüdiger Dorn/AEG. If you haven't played the original, it came out in 2014 and won the Kennerspiel des Jahres award. It's often considered a worker placement game, but has a unique mechanic of moving a stack of tokens around and leaving one where you end your movement to take that action. When you're out of tokens, you have to stack back on top of tokens you've left behind, or you don't get to do any more actions until you reset your stack at a predetermined location.

I already really, really liked the original game as a light-to-middle weight euro style game, but the Mocha & Baksheesh expansion makes it even better. Adds another row of game board tiles expanding the distance between spaces and in turn increasing the need to be strategic in how you move around since you're at greater risk of running out of actions and needing to spend a turn resetting. The new coffee resource you can collect adds a bunch of new interesting options for strategies to earn the game-winning rubies, and various other really cool new strategic mechanics (such as a barrier you can place which prevents other players only from moving through, or new special tiles that grant you new movement options, or various financial bonuses, etc.). There's a new card type called Guild cards which, when played, take your entire turn (no moving your stack at all), but are basically amped up versions of the other locations of the board (for example, sell 3 goods for $15, which is a far better ratio than either of the traditional Market spaces normally offer). A couple of them are really powerful so I'm considering relegating the Guild Hall space with these cards to a corner location of the modular board only in the future, but it is a random draw, so probably not THAT important.

All in all it doesn't ramp up the complexity much, I think it still sits comfortably in a middle-weight category at it's heaviest, but if the base game was a 7 or 8, I think the expansion easily brings it up to a 9 for me. Definitely recommend.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

The Dark Souls board game description of "prepare for the hardest board game ever! you ain't never played a game this hard!" is a huge series of red flags. Dark Souls (Dark Souls 2 in particular, which focused heavily on the THIS GAME IS HARD marketing) is full of bad hard and poorly implemented difficulty. It's trivial to make a hard game, especially a hard board game. Making a possible, engaging, and rewarding board game that is also extremely hard is much more worthy of praise.

Besides, I doubt it would exceed Vlaada's games in difficulty. Space Alert Red Alert Double Actions missions are absolutely one of the hardest feats in gaming. Dungeon Lords gets up there. Galaxy Trucker with Rough Roads gets up there. I can only imagine the DS board game will interpret "hard" as "you can only damage enemies if you roll a 6! :twisted:" which of course wouldn't result in a consistently hard experience to even a fraction the degree Vlaada's games do.

I agree. There isn't a single boss in Dark Souls that is more difficult than reading a Vlaada rule book.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

This video game tangent reminds me how much I want a Shadow of the Colossus boardgame, not an Attack on Titan boardgame.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think Dark Souls combat could map interestingly to a board game and there's certainly something you could do with the multiplayer aspects but Vlaada only knows if they'll get it right.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The example I brought up, Dark Souls 2, had shitloads of unfair enemy placements including instant death enemies in locations where they were impossible to react to. It also relied heavily upon mobs of enemies with huge life bars and lengthy combos, resulting in fights that were incredibly tedious but not actually difficult (as the main difficulty was trying to get the camera to cooperate and trying not to be so bored during the fight that you did more than a single attack when said enemies left themselves open). Megaman Zero (1) was another game that was marketed heavily on its difficulty, and it was full of similar poo poo like blind platform jumping and grinding (2-4 fixed these problems but coincidentally stopped advertising themselves as insanely hard despite still being very hard).

Space Alert/Dungeon Lords were never marketed on their difficulty and the whole "git gud" meme never flourished in their wake, even though they are the epitome of hard but fair games. You have advance notice for every threat, you have enough resources to beat them, and no RNG exists between player choices and the outcomes of those choices. For a company (who isn't terrifically versed in board game design) to advertise their game's difficulty warns me that they're probably about to make a shitload of bad design choices.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Speaking of RNG I just won a TS game online because my opponent got stuck in a six-round Quagmire. I really wish they could just errata Quagmire/Bear Trap to be the 1989 edition:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

StashAugustine posted:

Speaking of RNG I just won a TS game online because my opponent got stuck in a six-round Quagmire.

That card is so loving stupid. Played TS twice and it left a bad taste in my mouth both times after being the victim and perpetrator of Quagmire.

Anyways, can I get thoughts on Onitama and Knitwit? They're the only two games on my radar right now, it would be nice to get something new to the table because all we've played for 3 months is AGOT LCG 2.0.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160477/onitama

Onitama looks like an interesting mix of Chess, The Duke, and Tash-Kalar

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/191982/knit-wit

Knit Wit looks pretty silly but in an endearing way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Space Alert/Dungeon Lords were never marketed on their difficulty and the whole "git gud" meme never flourished in their wake, even though they are the epitome of hard but fair games. You have advance notice for every threat, you have enough resources to beat them, and no RNG exists between player choices and the outcomes of those choices. For a company (who isn't terrifically versed in board game design) to advertise their game's difficulty warns me that they're probably about to make a shitload of bad design choices.

They're also board games which market to s completely different crowd and the difficulty isn't a component of reflex and perception. Dungeon Lords is "hard" because you can't take all the actions you want, play a solo variant and you find it's quite simple when you can predict what the AI will take. Space Alert as well is the human element adding to the difficulty, the core game is quite simple.

I don't know why you're hung up specifically on them advertising a hard game. Dungeon Lords may not have it plastered on the box but final scoring and event cards remind you it's a "hard" game. The company's history is worth criticizing but advertising your game as difficult is just playing into the marketing.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Shadow225 posted:

I agree. There isn't a single boss in Dark Souls that is more difficult than reading a Vlaada rule book.

Vlaada rulebooks are really easy to read through, though? The problem is that they're organized for being read straight through, not for making it easy to reference a specific rule later.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I played my first game of Twilight Struggle last night. I kind of dig the whole system of push and pull and the central idea being to manage and mitigate having and playing cards that are good for your opponent, but I didn't really like the game much overall. Quagmire felt like it took me out of the game since I lost basically an entire round to it and was forced to play only a scoring card that I couldn't do anything about - it obliterated my lead and handed a huge lead to my opponent. Also, it really makes me feel like I can't really play the game properly until I've played it several times and seen/memorized most of the cards. I was continually running into "oh poo poo, there's a card that does that?" moments. Those are not dealbreakers exactly but neither one of those are my, well, we'll just call it my "thing".

Like I said I kind of dig the whole push-pull concept as well as the central idea of mitigation and damage control, but overall I didn't really enjoy the game much. It reminded me of Wir Sind Das Volk but with shitloads of die rolling to resolve stuff.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Bottom Liner posted:

Anyways, can I get thoughts on Onitama and Knitwit? They're the only two games on my radar right now, it would be nice to get something new to the table because all we've played for 3 months is AGOT LCG 2.0.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/160477/onitama

Onitama looks like an interesting mix of Chess, The Duke, and Tash-Kalar

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/191982/knit-wit

Knit Wit looks pretty silly but in an endearing way.

I tried Knit Wit two weeks ago and enjoyed it, but your group needs to be creative and/or willing accept outlandish answers for the game to shine. Loved the spools and thread too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Like I said above I agree with the Quagmire issue (I think it works when you only lose a round or two but once it starts chaining it gets bad fast); learning the deck is really necessary which sucks for your first game but is rewarding once you know what's coming and how to play around it. WSDV is a good comparison and its card mechanic is super interesting but it lacks a lot of the bluffing and deck manipulation that TS does.

I don't think TS is the Platonic ideal of a card driven game but it's probably the most well-rounded one out there, compounded by being easily approachable and visible. Someday someone will make a CDG that is better in all respects and also easily approachable and playable in under two hours.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

The example I brought up, Dark Souls 2, had shitloads of unfair enemy placements including instant death enemies in locations where they were impossible to react to. It also relied heavily upon mobs of enemies with huge life bars and lengthy combos, resulting in fights that were incredibly tedious but not actually difficult (as the main difficulty was trying to get the camera to cooperate and trying not to be so bored during the fight that you did more than a single attack when said enemies left themselves open). Megaman Zero (1) was another game that was marketed heavily on its difficulty, and it was full of similar poo poo like blind platform jumping and grinding (2-4 fixed these problems but coincidentally stopped advertising themselves as insanely hard despite still being very hard).

To be fair, DS2 is also considered an outlier in the series. The usual director of the series was off doing Bloodborne and I believe the dev team was different as well. Not like there aren't valid critiques to be made against the other games, but it's not completely fair to generalize like that based on DS2.

In actual board game news, I got my copy of Millennium Blades in, and hopefully will be getting it to the table this Friday.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm interested in playing again, it's just one of those games I won't own. For me, it's kind of in the same bucket as Trump games (or whatever the more correct term for those is.) The more you know what's out there and can remember what has and hasn't been played (and by whom) the better you'll do, but that doesn't really gel well with me.

Hot Dog Day #42
Jun 17, 2001

Egbert B. Gebstadter

Mister Sinewave posted:

For me, it's kind of in the same bucket as Trump games (or whatever the more correct term for those is.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

al-azad posted:

They're also board games which market to s completely different crowd and the difficulty isn't a component of reflex and perception. Dungeon Lords is "hard" because you can't take all the actions you want, play a solo variant and you find it's quite simple when you can predict what the AI will take. Space Alert as well is the human element adding to the difficulty, the core game is quite simple.

I don't know why you're hung up specifically on them advertising a hard game. Dungeon Lords may not have it plastered on the box but final scoring and event cards remind you it's a "hard" game. The company's history is worth criticizing but advertising your game as difficult is just playing into the marketing.

Dark Souls is also only hard because you can't take all the actions you want. Limited Stamina, Estus Flasks, and the length of animations all exist to prevent you from doing what you want to do in a given moment. You can't move the camera to see down that corridor, so you have to wait until you're much closer to potential enemies.

So how do you make a board game hard without relying on random elements? I think true fans of the series would consider it a failure if at any point in the DSBG you have to roll dice to determine success. You could give players limited resources that they have to spend to take actions, or maybe they're limited to what actions they can take by cards but that would feel pretty random a lot of times. Maybe each enemy has a small script of attacks you can follow along with, but how do you make that hard if it's just printed on them?

I think there's plenty of good conversation to be had about how you could faithfully translate Dark Souls style game play into a board game, and how you would give it the series characteristic challenge. I also think we're more likely to get Descent with a Dark Souls paint job than anything else.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Merauder posted:

To be fair, with the announcement of the DS board game, it's pretty reasonable to expect people to discuss the brand and what it entails here, in the board game thread, if nothing else for the sake of informing those unfamiliar of what the board game might consist of thematically.

But to turn back to actual BG discussion: I finally picked up the first expansion for Istanbul from Rüdiger Dorn/AEG. If you haven't played the original, it came out in 2014 and won the Kennerspiel des Jahres award. It's often considered a worker placement game, but has a unique mechanic of moving a stack of tokens around and leaving one where you end your movement to take that action. When you're out of tokens, you have to stack back on top of tokens you've left behind, or you don't get to do any more actions until you reset your stack at a predetermined location.

I already really, really liked the original game as a light-to-middle weight euro style game, but the Mocha & Baksheesh expansion makes it even better. Adds another row of game board tiles expanding the distance between spaces and in turn increasing the need to be strategic in how you move around since you're at greater risk of running out of actions and needing to spend a turn resetting. The new coffee resource you can collect adds a bunch of new interesting options for strategies to earn the game-winning rubies, and various other really cool new strategic mechanics (such as a barrier you can place which prevents other players only from moving through, or new special tiles that grant you new movement options, or various financial bonuses, etc.). There's a new card type called Guild cards which, when played, take your entire turn (no moving your stack at all), but are basically amped up versions of the other locations of the board (for example, sell 3 goods for $15, which is a far better ratio than either of the traditional Market spaces normally offer). A couple of them are really powerful so I'm considering relegating the Guild Hall space with these cards to a corner location of the modular board only in the future, but it is a random draw, so probably not THAT important.

All in all it doesn't ramp up the complexity much, I think it still sits comfortably in a middle-weight category at it's heaviest, but if the base game was a 7 or 8, I think the expansion easily brings it up to a 9 for me. Definitely recommend.

I really enjoy Istanbul, but it feels like you need to have all experienced players or all new players. The cost to land on the same space ensures that it hurts if multiple players try the same strategy. But, if it's a mix of skill levels, it feels like the person who does a Gemstone Dealer rush or Palace rush (depending on the board) always wins.

Also, I managed to finish a 3-player game of Agricola in a hour. It feels like there should achievements for that sort of thing.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The solution is obviously to just make Mage Knight but with Dark Souls

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I've played this. At least it was pretty quick.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The real Trump game is Eminent Domain

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

StashAugustine posted:

:stare:

Speaking of Wir Sind Das Volk, I accidentally joined an open game of it on Boardgamecore and ended up playing for 3 weeks with some guy. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but I kept playing things that would make the various tracts move towards him, as I assumed that was good. I ended up losing because of getting too many unrest cubes built up in one area or something, but my little policeman marker was very close to his side.

SirFelixCat
Apr 8, 2016

They say an elephant never forgets the first time they got company dumped.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I played my first game of Twilight Struggle last night. I kind of dig the whole system of push and pull and the central idea being to manage and mitigate having and playing cards that are good for your opponent, but I didn't really like the game much overall. Quagmire felt like it took me out of the game since I lost basically an entire round to it and was forced to play only a scoring card that I couldn't do anything about - it obliterated my lead and handed a huge lead to my opponent. Also, it really makes me feel like I can't really play the game properly until I've played it several times and seen/memorized most of the cards. I was continually running into "oh poo poo, there's a card that does that?" moments. Those are not dealbreakers exactly but neither one of those are my, well, we'll just call it my "thing".

Like I said I kind of dig the whole push-pull concept as well as the central idea of mitigation and damage control, but overall I didn't really enjoy the game much. It reminded me of Wir Sind Das Volk but with shitloads of die rolling to resolve stuff.

13 Days is TS the filler game and gives a similar feel, but in 45 mins. Def recommended. Obviously not as epic as TS, but does a helluva job fir what it is.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OneDeadman posted:

The solution is obviously to just make Mage Knight but with Dark Souls

Pretty much!

There are two core elements of difficulty in a board game: unpredictability and risk of failure. Something like Agricola with its near perfect information and inability to outright lose is a challenging puzzle, not a hard game. My opponents dictate my difficulty, otherwise a solo game is just maximizing your score.

Mage Knight is timed to force you to make tough choices. You can't count on the perfect hand, the easiest monster, or the day to last forever. You can't expect to win without a scratch, the game intentionally wears you down. Both the failure aspect and need to "push your luck" make it a genuinely difficult game without feeling cheap like an Arkham Betrayal on Mansions of Bullshit.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

StashAugustine posted:

Or Monopoly, except one player starts out inheriting 3/4 of the properties with included developments, but somehow manages to end up with less money at the end of the game than he started with

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Mage Knight is actually a pretty good game for replicating the Dark Souls aspect of wondering how the gently caress you'll ever deal with all these bullshit enemies and then, with experience, realizing you have all the tools to do so.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

al-azad posted:

Something like Agricola with its near perfect information and inability to outright lose is a challenging puzzle, not a hard game.

Ah but you can lose at solo Agricola. You must score at least 50 points in your first game of a series, and that requirement goes up incrementally each round (up to a whopping 67 points by the final round). When you are trying to shave points that finely you can drat well be sure that the order the spaces come out in will effect your strategy. There is a big difference between Sheep coming out round 1 vs round 4, same with Family Growth, Stone, and Pigs.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

:stare:

Speaking of Wir Sind Das Volk, I accidentally joined an open game of it on Boardgamecore and ended up playing for 3 weeks with some guy. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing but I kept playing things that would make the various tracts move towards him, as I assumed that was good. I ended up losing because of getting too many unrest cubes built up in one area or something, but my little policeman marker was very close to his side.

Incidentally is that rules-automated?

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Misandu posted:

Dark Souls is also only hard because you can't take all the actions you want. Limited Stamina, Estus Flasks, and the length of animations all exist to prevent you from doing what you want to do in a given moment. You can't move the camera to see down that corridor, so you have to wait until you're much closer to potential enemies.

So how do you make a board game hard without relying on random elements? I think true fans of the series would consider it a failure if at any point in the DSBG you have to roll dice to determine success. You could give players limited resources that they have to spend to take actions, or maybe they're limited to what actions they can take by cards but that would feel pretty random a lot of times. Maybe each enemy has a small script of attacks you can follow along with, but how do you make that hard if it's just printed on them?

I think there's plenty of good conversation to be had about how you could faithfully translate Dark Souls style game play into a board game, and how you would give it the series characteristic challenge. I also think we're more likely to get Descent with a Dark Souls paint job than anything else.
A lot of Dark Souls is the fighting like you mention, and a lot of the fighting is based on spacing, reading tells, and timing. I don't have any experience with Miniature games outside of watching warham, but I like that it provides meaningful spacing between characters without being unwieldy. For enemy attacks, you could use a small deck of cards that represent what action the enemy will take next. Different colored backs for the cards indicate what style of action it is, for example pulling from weak long-range attacks or strong short-range attacks. Then the player can figure out their risk of making an attack, or moving to another area, etc..

I'm not expecting the game to be great but I'm not hopeless.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

BLoose I normally agree with you with this kind of stuff but it's clear you don't really get what's interesting about dark souls + your decision to focus on the marketing of a game - literally the furthest possible thing from the actual gameplay of a game - makes this argument look really weak.

Part of the joy of dark souls is anticipating threats behind blind corners or watching your six as you move toward items. The vast majority of a good players' deaths aren't to ambushes, but just to not being able to adapt to a new enemy's pattern. Plus, focusing on DS2's level design is like criticizing Star Wars as a whole for the Ewoks in ep 6. Sometimes there are just bad parts of overall strong series.

There already is a game that models Dark Souls type adventuring in a good way, anyway. It's called Torchbearer. Maybe the minis from the new DS board game can be used in that one, but I strongly doubt it'll be any good.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Broken Loose posted:

Space Alert ... no RNG exists between player choices and the outcomes of those choices.

Incorrect - there's the damage to the ship.

I agree with your general point though. Even for the video game, whenever it's brought up almost the only thing you hear is "this game is hard" which isn't all that useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SirFelixCat posted:

13 Days is TS the filler game and gives a similar feel, but in 45 mins. Def recommended. Obviously not as epic as TS, but does a helluva job fir what it is.

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard of 13 Days, I'll check it out.