Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Why is your GM not either fast-forwarding to whatever temporal junction has all your book-keeping stuff done, or handwaving the temporal cost of your book-keeping stuff?

2. Why is your GM having entire sessions where only part of the party gets to play? I can understand interludes where there's a split in the party, but that's a bit much. Ensemble casts don't do that.

Andrast posted:

Wait, there are people who actually count XP instead of just leveling up when appropriate?
TBF I'm doing strict tracking of XP in an AD&D game I run, but that's only because it's part of the design. There's really no point to it in Pathfinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Might be more overlap than you think, given that all the adventure paths have "Players should be X level at this point, Y level at this point, and Z by the end", and the Pathfinder Society ditches regular XP entirely for something like "Get One XP for doing a PFS scenario, you need 3 XP to level up."

This. It's actually easier for anyone who runs a Paizo AP to ditch XP than it is for them to track it.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I do both, because I'm weird.

When I run APs it's all about when they should level, story-wise. It's usually at the end of a session where something important happens, or some big baddie was defeated.

For my crunch-focused one-shot hex-based murderhobos campaign, we track XP like the grodnards we are.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

unseenlibrarian posted:

Might be more overlap than you think, given that all the adventure paths have "Players should be X level at this point, Y level at this point, and Z by the end", and the Pathfinder Society ditches regular XP entirely for something like "Get One XP for doing a PFS scenario, you need 3 XP to level up."

Interestingly the Zeitgeist Adventure Path just has the PCs arbitrarily level at certain plot points instead of manually tracking. The Dragonlance Chronicles also did a similar thing in its 3.5 conversion (and had a pool of "phantom XP" for the purposes of magic item crafting).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scyther posted:

I'm picturing a Venn diagram with circles labeled "People who would throw the concept of XP in the trash", "People who are willingly GMing Pathfinder in 2016" and I don't see much of an overlap.

I haven't had a gm since 2nd Ed that actually counted xp

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Azhais posted:

I haven't had a gm since 2nd Ed that actually counted xp

I'm playing with two, both running 5E games. :sigh:

Leveling up between major adventures is so much cleaner.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Could I get a rules clarification? I'm running with a novice group, including a first time player and a first time DM, we just had our third session last night and I pulled off a color spray which rendered an opponent unconscious for "1d4 rounds" does that mean after 1d4 people take their turn it wears off, or after I have taken 1d4 turns? Because that second one seems hella broken at low level...

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
It's the second.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

Could I get a rules clarification? I'm running with a novice group, including a first time player and a first time DM, we just had our third session last night and I pulled off a color spray which rendered an opponent unconscious for "1d4 rounds" does that mean after 1d4 people take their turn it wears off, or after I have taken 1d4 turns? Because that second one seems hella broken at low level...

A round is one full round of initiative. Welcome to caster supremacy, that is pretty light for what wizards can do at later levels.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

MithosKuu posted:

Its 1d4 of their turns I believe. Can think of it as him losing 1d4 rounds. It is in fact really good especially because you can coup de grace an unconscious enemy no problem.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Fantastic, I will let all this power go directly to my little kobold sorcerer's head

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MithosKuu posted:

Fantastic, I will let all this power go directly to my little kobold sorcerer's head

You're just getting started. You should use the D&D 4e chart that determines what a kobold does when it downs an enemy.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Yeah it's the second, but color spray is a little risky in that if you're close enough to color spray you're close enough to get your poo poo kicked in

Sleep is much more OP

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Cat Face Joe posted:

You're just getting started. You should use the D&D 4e chart that determines what a kobold does when it downs an enemy.

This is a fantastic chart, any suggestions on how to translate the action point one to pathfinder?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Quoting this from the D&D Next thread, since it's Pathfinder related.

ritorix posted:

lol...

Trapdoor Tech ‏@trapdoortech 13m13 minutes ago
Excited to announce our partnership with @paizo to create @Playbook__ for #pathfinder ! http://bit.ly/1SbR1cS

https://twitter.com/trapdoortech/status/719592794017255424

Background for the newer folks: this same company already had a license with WOTC way back when 5e was brand new, and they got dropped after a terrible beta. It looked just like that back then.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I don't understand what Playbook is supposed to bring to the table that's not already covered by Hero Lab. Even leaving aside direct feature comparisons, Hero Lab already has data for literally every Pathfinder book as well as years worth of user time combing through it for bugfix issues.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Roadie posted:

I don't understand what Playbook is supposed to bring to the table that's not already covered by Hero Lab. Even leaving aside direct feature comparisons, Hero Lab already has data for literally every Pathfinder book as well as years worth of user time combing through it for bugfix issues.

It was a thing Wizards did. :shrug:

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

sugar free jazz posted:

Sleep is much more OP

Sleep is the best at lower levels. I was playing a sorcerer in Rise of the Runelords and we were at some sequence where there were a bunch of goblins huddled together across a bridge. I cast sleep and none passed their save roll, so we just strolled across the bridge and coup de grace them all. It made what was to be an interesting fight across a bridge completely uneventful.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Hamlet442 posted:

Sleep is the best at lower levels. I was playing a sorcerer in Rise of the Runelords and we were at some sequence where there were a bunch of goblins huddled together across a bridge. I cast sleep and none passed their save roll, so we just strolled across the bridge and coup de grace them all. It made what was to be an interesting fight across a bridge completely uneventful.

Depending on the situation and your party composition grease can be absolutely ridiculous too.

If you have a choke-point available it can seriously turn combat into a series of pratfalls while you and your friends pick them off. It says a little bit about how good grease is that I remembered it as taking up a 5 foot square not a 10 foot square and even then the spell is ultra good, if more situational.

Edit: Definitely not as good as sleep or color spray but it does target reflex instead of will which matters sometimes.

Krilion
Nov 24, 2015

LorrdErnie posted:

Depending on the situation and your party composition grease can be absolutely ridiculous too.

If you have a choke-point available it can seriously turn combat into a series of pratfalls while you and your friends pick them off. It says a little bit about how good grease is that I remembered it as taking up a 5 foot square not a 10 foot square and even then the spell is ultra good, if more situational.

Edit: Definitely not as good as sleep or color spray but it does target reflex instead of will which matters sometimes.

Grease is useful to level 20. Wizards have hilariously low reflex saves, and using a quickened grease or other meta magic can make its save high enough to disable them. Plus you can light it on fire.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Krilion posted:

Grease is useful to level 20. Wizards have hilariously low reflex saves, and using a quickened grease or other meta magic can make its save high enough to disable them. Plus you can light it on fire.

Please. Any spellcaster worth their salt casts overland flight every day.

(My wizard has avoided several the-ground-fucks-you-over problems by virtue of always floating about 6 inches off the ground)

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!

Axiem posted:

Please. Any spellcaster worth their salt casts overland flight every day.

(My wizard has avoided several the-ground-fucks-you-over problems by virtue of always floating about 6 inches off the ground)

You forgot to wear a cape, prepare Burning Gaze, and use Telekinesis for super-strength.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
What do people think of the Alchemical Affinity arcane discovery?

I'm still playing that Mystic Theurge in a long-running campaign, and my GM says I can take discoveries as feats even though my Wizard level is only 3. The feat fits real well RP-wise, as there's an alchemist in the party and we're constantly comparing notes and discussing the different approaches we have to magic.

It's essentially Spell Focus and +1 CL for any spell that appears on both spell lists. Since I was already considering Spell Focus, it's an easy jump in my mind.

Is there enough overlap for this to really be worth it? What spells do you think would benefit most?

A lot of buff spells are on both lists, which will make them last a little longer. Haste is on the top of my list, I'll take an extra round of double attacks from my party any day.

Inverse Icarus fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 14, 2016

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
The DC boost is basically wasted since alchemists share very few spells with the wizard that also require an enemy to make a saving throw (Just browsing the spell list reveals... Detect Thoughts, Seek Thoughts, Touch of Slime, Detonate and Magic Jar). You'd be taking it as a CL boost to your buff spells.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 14, 2016

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

It might be cool if you wanted to use Alchemical Allocation and whatever other spells are Alchemist only.

EDIT: Wait never mind it doesn't work that way, my bad. At least, I don't think it does.

PS Alchemical Allocation + the Alchemist discovery that lets you use potions at your caster level is pretty sweet.

Cool Dad fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 14, 2016

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Krilion posted:

A level 20 wizard, in the edge cases where he hasn't ascended into some kind of sky-blackening god of hyperdeath, will probably just cast spells while lying down. Also, you can't light grease grease on fire unless it's Mythic Grease. No, really.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

Gilok posted:

It might be cool if you wanted to use Alchemical Allocation and whatever other spells are Alchemist only.

PS Alchemical Allocation + the Alchemist discovery that lets you use potions at your caster level is pretty sweet.

The alchemist in our party does all of these things. Potions as caster level is crazy. He also enlarges, has a tentacle and a longspear to threaten everywhere within 20', and he backwashes a potion of greater magic fang at +5 he bought for 3,000gp.

I asked my GM if I could get a feat to let me use scrolls at my caster level and got denied.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Scyther posted:

I'm picturing a Venn diagram with circles labeled "People who would throw the concept of XP in the trash", "People who are willingly GMing Pathfinder in 2016" and I don't see much of an overlap.

I willingly GM Pathfinder in 2016 and I throw the concept of XP in the trash and just tell my players they've leveled up after every few adventures. My players really like it, and it's easier for me too because I don't have to worry about calculating appropriate XP awards.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Inverse Icarus posted:

The alchemist in our party does all of these things. Potions as caster level is crazy. He also enlarges, has a tentacle and a longspear to threaten everywhere within 20', and he backwashes a potion of greater magic fang at +5 he bought for 3,000gp.

I asked my GM if I could get a feat to let me use scrolls at my caster level and got denied.

With the right feats you can use wands at your caster level, but good luck qualifying for it as a mystic theurge.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
FYI, the Vigilante from Ultimate Intrigue is now available on the PF SRD.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Would Alchemist Affinity open up the doors to any wondrous item crafting you couldn't get otherwise?

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I have a PFS character designed primarily for knowledge checks and also some other skill checks and I'm not sure where to go from where I am now. Here's what I have, and I'm looking for advice on how to pump the knowledge checks up even more because it's funny. I'd like to get 2 more levels of Alchemist just for Fast Bombs, but it's not required. Level 8 at the moment.

Intelligence: 18 base + 2 Human + 4 Int belt + 1 at level 4, +1 at level 8, total of 26 Intelligence for a +8.

Class abilities:
2 levels Investigator - Empiricist archetype, to switch skills over to Intelligence and for Inspiration.
6 levels Mindchemist, double Intelligence modifier on Knowledge checks and Cognatogen.

Feats:
Dilettante: +2 on knowledge checks that have 5 or less ranks.
Deific Obedience (Irori): +4 to all Knowledge checks.

Traits:
Student of Philosophy - Intelligence instead of Charisma on Diplomacy to persuade and Bluff to lie.

Items:
Pendant of Knowledge (Local): +5 Competence bonus
+4 Intelligence belt.

Misc:
+2 Circumstance bonus on Knowledge (Local) from a chronicle sheet.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Tin Star,

Rick posted:

Would Alchemist Affinity open up the doors to any wondrous item crafting you couldn't get otherwise?

No. It doesn't give you new spells, it just gives a boost to any wizard spell you cast that's also on the alchemist's spell list.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

LightWarden posted:

No. It doesn't give you new spells, it just gives a boost to any wizard spell you cast that's also on the alchemist's spell list.

Well the only reason I thought it was possible was because you could copy formulas, but yeah it specifies only shared spell list posts.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Rick posted:

Well the only reason I thought it was possible was because you could copy formulas, but yeah it specifies only shared spell list posts.

I got confused because it says you get a bonus to spells on both lists, but the but about copying formulas is separate. A really generous DM might let you get away with it, since honestly as a discovery it kind of blows.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

The entire party except for me managed to get arrested.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hi so we played last night and my book keeping was done. It wasn't entirely the dm's fault I think but he could have helped more. We were originally supposed to fast forward the 5 days I was busy but the other pcs wanted to do some minor role-playing stuff which sure whatever. The problems arise when they started doing non minor role-playing things that needed to get resolved and hosed up everything. One party member got taken under guard but not in chains to the capital to meet with the king. Another tried to break into a military facility alone and got nearly killed then arrested. These events messed everything up.

Last night my book keeping was done at the start of the session and we realized our rogue was in jail so we figured we would the three of us not in jail or under guard would set out for the capital to meet with the king. Along the way the two party members I was with thought they would break into a military research facility and got arrested. So I head to the capital myself to meet with the king and to join the army.

The party members are from another plane and have a bunch of special powers and people like us from another plane have the option of joining the kings army as knights or joining a fanatical religious sect or usually turning into monsters or dying. My characters backstory was he was a soldier all his life and a general for decades. He is a 87 year old human wizard and was close to dying before he came to this land. But one of the perks of our special powers is living forever. So joining a new military sounded great to him he will get to lead troops again. So my character volunteered to join the military and the rest of the party was basically conscripted against their will. Now we have to go pacify some land that has people that helped us survive when we first got here and the party isn't thrilled with the idea except for my wizard who is all excited to be on a new campaign. But if we don't do it everyone is gonna get executed.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The Vizier and Enigma Mesmerist archetypes are hilarious. The Enigma is built around everyone ignoring you and the Vizier archetype is built around everyone thinking you're worthless. The Mesmerist owns and I'm seriously considering making an Enigma who's just a huge sadsack because no one ever notices him and he's just depressed always.

his name will be Elliot Rodgers

sugar free jazz fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 18, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm considering how well a game of all vigilantes of various types would work. Some kind of 'you are all members of a King's court, and also at night you kick rear end for some reason or another. You all know each other's Social guises, but none of you know each other are anything but what the Social guise seems'. The biggest problem would be people metagaming each other if I pitted their Social guises against each other, bt not their vigilante ones.

Well, the second biggest problem, the biggest would be having 4-5 people of the same class.

But like, by day the King's Daughter, the Guildmaster of the local Merchant's guild, and the local celebrity blacksmith commoner squabble, arguing over taxes, how to be represented, etc, trying to influence the Court. By night, they don their guises as something else, and root out the corruption in their homes, teaming up to defeat thieves, sewer monsters, etc.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Well, the second biggest problem, the biggest would be having 4-5 people of the same class.

Gestalt :getin: