Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I agree. Kalitas and Mindwrack make me happier then trying to go WW

I have been trying out mindwrack and all I can tell you is that it just dies to removal in the decks I have put together. I find more value in having creatures that are a little harder to kill or make my opponents removal worse. Just too much removal that exiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GeneX posted:

I have no sympathy for anyone playing the primary aggro deck of a format. None.

Aggro is sweet, don't hate

I just wish there were more than 2 potentially playable burn spells that can hit players and that those spells would be less clunky

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

Aggro is sweet, don't hate

I just wish there were more than 2 potentially playable burn spells that can hit players and that those spells would be less clunky

Burn and couterspells are barely a thing right now. Its amazing that the r/u control deck is making it work despite its limited, poo poo options.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Sickening posted:

Burn and couterspells are barely a thing right now. Its amazing that the r/u control deck is making it work despite its limited, poo poo options.

I wanted to play a WG deck I had been testing but there is no way in gently caress I am paying 200 dollars for a set of Avacyns and then 50 more bucks for declaration. loving standard with Jace and Avacyn for the past year has been annoying as hell. Mythic is a stupid stupid rarity.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I paid $3600 for a birds of paradise. my family is starving., help wotc give me a rarity higher than rare

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

rabidsquid posted:

I paid $3600 for a birds of paradise. my family is starving., help wotc give me a rarity higher than rare
spend less on candles

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sestze posted:

spend less on candles

Spend less on Candelabra of Tawnos, surely

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

This is classic USC minor and would get first a talking-to from me, then a warning, then it becomes USC major and a game loss.

Theoretically I can give the warning the second I hear anything but in practice it's better to just verbally caution the player first and explain why that's wrong, since it's more likely to lead to the outcome we want (that person changing their behavior and the environment as a whole becoming more welcoming).

Back 2-3 pages, but this isn't how the USC upgrade path works. USC Minor #1 is a warning, USC Minor #2+ are Game Losses.

USC Major is a Match Loss, with a DQ upgrade if they aren't repentant about doing whatever they did.

As a rough rule of thumb, Minor if it's lovely behaviour around someone (eg "my deck's so gay", using "gently caress" as punctuation), Major if it's lovely behaviour targeted at someone (eg "you are a <slur>"). You'll know if something's meant to be Aggressive Behaviour :v:

Also, please don't verbally caution for USC Minor. We have an upgrade path so that if they do it again, there's a consequence for not improving their behaviour.

(The stuff about Regular REL is right, though it's worth noting that stuff that would constitute USC Major at Comp is a Serious Problem in the JAR, which is a DQ every time)

BizarroAzrael posted:

Just got my ticket for GPS Manchester, anyone else going? The mat looks decent, Avacyn's Judgement. Sounds like it's selling fast.

I'll be there! Was hoping to be judging but had a couple of GP opportunities recently so my RC gave the chance to someone else :)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

mfcrocker posted:

Back 2-3 pages, but this isn't how the USC upgrade path works. USC Minor #1 is a warning, USC Minor #2+ are Game Losses.

USC Major is a Match Loss, with a DQ upgrade if they aren't repentant about doing whatever they did.

As a rough rule of thumb, Minor if it's lovely behaviour around someone (eg "my deck's so gay", using "gently caress" as punctuation), Major if it's lovely behaviour targeted at someone (eg "you are a <slur>"). You'll know if something's meant to be Aggressive Behaviour :v:

Also, please don't verbally caution for USC Minor. We have an upgrade path so that if they do it again, there's a consequence for not improving their behaviour.

(The stuff about Regular REL is right, though it's worth noting that stuff that would constitute USC Major at Comp is a Serious Problem in the JAR, which is a DQ every time)

I'll be there! Was hoping to be judging but had a couple of GP opportunities recently so my RC gave the chance to someone else :)

My experience with dealing with USC minor situations is that many times a quiet word produces better results than a formal warning, though I wouldn't hesitate to issue the warning if I see it happening again. The issue is stuff that is technically USC minor, but that most judges wouldn't call even though they should. The players get used to something being "ok" when it really isn't. In those cases issuing a warning can be counterproductive, as they tend to think they just caught a "hardass judge" and get resentful. My goal is to make sure that the player leaves the event knowing why what they said was wrong and won't do it again.

I have known plenty of judges who never issue minor until they're on the brink of major, but I think that the most important thing is making sure that the event continues to run smoothly and people feel safe.

You're right about Major being match instead of game loss; I haven't had to issue Major in more than a year, thankfully.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My experience with dealing with USC minor situations is that many times a quiet word produces better results than a formal warning, though I wouldn't hesitate to issue the warning if I see it happening again. The issue is stuff that is technically USC minor, but that most judges wouldn't call even though they should. The players get used to something being "ok" when it really isn't. In those cases issuing a warning can be counterproductive, as they tend to think they just caught a "hardass judge" and get resentful. My goal is to make sure that the player leaves the event knowing why what they said was wrong and won't do it again.

I have known plenty of judges who never issue minor until they're on the brink of major, but I think that the most important thing is making sure that the event continues to run smoothly and people feel safe.

You're right about Major being match instead of game loss; I haven't had to issue Major in more than a year, thankfully.

My biggest mission in judging right now is to get judges to show some guts when it comes to the subjective infractions - Slow Play and the various USCs. If more of us start giving these out, it won't just be the hardasses any more.

I still think you should be following policy when it comes to USC Minor. I get that there's benefits to the caution path, but the downside is that it doesn't really get across the severity of the infraction. I'm not a fan of the message we send if in order to even get a Game Loss a player has to be a dick 3 times running.

Remember, this is Comp REL, not Regular. Although we should educate players where we can, we have a level of expectation that they know how to play the game, including how to behave at tournaments.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How long does it take for MTGO prices to stabilize after a release?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Sickening posted:

Burn as removal is fine; for instance, Fiery Impulse and Roast are good cards. The problem is, red aggro decks also want to be able to hit face, and the shock and lightning strike of the format both not being able to do so is a real problem if for red aggro.

Counterspells are basically in the same spot that they've been in for the last few years, right? We still have a Dissipate and Silumgar's Scorn.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There are still a few powerful non-dragon counterspells around, most notably Dispel and Negate. The main card we lost to rotation was Disdainful Stroke, which saw quite a lot of use as a catchall answer to the most pressing threats. There's also Stubborn Denial I guess.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Newest Friday Nights is up for those interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaiEZuZhWmA

In it the crew face a brand new Standard where Rhino is not a thing.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zoness posted:

Plumeveil

Plumeveil having flash and 4/4 made it into "destroy target attacking creature with toughness 4 or less" that stuck around for repeat performances if the attacker's power was 3 or less as well, that could be cast off of Cryptic mana. It saw a lot of work in Cruel Control and Swans.

It also counted as 3 devotion to U for Turbo-Grinding. My search also revealed a white weenies list that used Mirrorweave to turn the team into 4/4 fliers, because defender doesn't stop an already-declared attack.

It's not quite a 0/6 with only defender.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I just got 360 no scoped by thing in the ice. Bounced my Ormendahl and Gideon all at once.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

vandalism posted:

I just got 360 no scoped by thing in the ice. Bounced my Ormendahl and Gideon all at once.

I put in the obliterations from the board int he u/r matchup simply because removing jace and then thing in ice makes their path to victory much harder. That and I have too many dead cards in the deck as it is.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Sickening posted:

I put in the obliterations from the board int he u/r matchup simply because removing jace and then thing in ice makes their path to victory much harder. That and I have too many dead cards in the deck as it is.

That is exactly what my opponent and I talked about post game when we discussed our boards. I have 2 infinite obliteration in the board and I should have put them in. I think I took out hangar backs and put in transgress and something else. He is a cool guy and let me use his Sorin. He did void shatter it, though, on the turn after he bounced my stuff. Absolutely blown out.

I am very much digging black white control. Feels good like abzan control did around dragons time.

He was drawing 4 cards sometimes because of goggles. That is a death sentence. Thing and Chandra wrecked me. I beat Bank coco and black red vampires though. Got a bye, 12 bucks in prize support and pulled an avacyn.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Not sure what setups either of you are running, but apparently the thing for U/R is to side out most creatures and go for fevered visions as the big path to victory so bringing in infinite obliteration may not work that well.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Not sure about his, but mine is b/w control with 2 Kalitas, 2 Avacyn, 3 hangarback walkers, and the rest planes walkers, card draw, secure the wastes, and removal. I like it so far. Half tempted to experiment with the no creature and Eldrazi varieties. It's very fun as is though.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

vandalism posted:

Not sure about his, but mine is b/w control with 2 Kalitas, 2 Avacyn, 3 hangarback walkers, and the rest planes walkers, card draw, secure the wastes, and removal. I like it so far. Half tempted to experiment with the no creature and Eldrazi varieties. It's very fun as is though.

I'm in the middle of changing my BW Ally deck to BW Control. I opted for 3 Gideons, 2 Sorins and 3-4 Endless Ones. How often is Secure the Wastes relevant? I only have one copy of those, so I haven't really even thought about going the token route, just wanting to squeeze the board until I can get a big rear end Endless One out there and start swinging with it and Gideon.

Kalitas would be nice, but I figure Languish would take it out more often than I can get it buffed before I need to wipe the board.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Soul Glo posted:

Kalitas would be nice, but I figure Languish would take it out more often than I can get it buffed before I need to wipe the board.

Or you could run both and have a nice fat zombie army leftover.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also you could not run Endless One since in BW control, where it sounds like a giant dumb idiot which doesn't do anything

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Took Jaceless League to FNM tonight. Went 4-0 in matches, 8-0 in games. I love this deck.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Night Danger Moose posted:

Took Jaceless League to FNM tonight. Went 4-0 in matches, 8-0 in games. I love this deck.

Excuse me? What is this deck?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
BW control failed me allll night. Lost to Bant CoCo with a streak of land and no walkers, lost to UR control game 3 to Fevered Visions, beat Mono W Humans pretty easily, and lost to a GW CoCo humans.

7 planeswalkers in the deck and I didnt see ANY of them in so many matches. The deck needs some more draw fixing for sure.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Languishing your own Kalitas is fine since it still leaves you with a pile of zombie tokens vs an empty board.

Secure the Wastes is probably less relevant now that you can't follow it up with Solemn Visitor and swing for 10 with lifelink, but still extremely good and much better than an Endless One that will get chumped forever or just die to removal.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Guys. When you're building your deck at 4pm or later prior to FNM, slow it down. Check your deck. Make sure you're not missing anything. Make sure you haven't just built your Bant CoCo deck without your copies of Collected Company in it.

Don't be like me.

I hate myself

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Count Bleck posted:

Excuse me? What is this deck?

I forgot to put in 5 cards for the sideboard, but it still stomped all over everything. Phone posting so here's the screencap I saved of the list.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Is it bad that Jeff Hoogland's Mardu Control list gets my motor going because it doesn't seem very good but there's just so much good stuff in there.

Night Danger Moose posted:

I forgot to put in 5 cards for the sideboard, but it still stomped all over everything. Phone posting so here's the screencap I saved of the list.

Niiice.

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.
Why not Oath of Gideon in some amount?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'll post it later when I have the full list to hand, but I'm running a version of Keji Tsumura's superfriends deck that he tweeted.

Mostly 1 of walkers, though I've upped it to 2 Nahiri and Chandra.
Deck is running fairly well, to a point where I'm about 50/50 pre-board against my gf's jund deck, which seems like it's real good also.
Deck has performed great in testing on xmage, as 8 main deck sweepers plus some point removal make the humans decks fairly easy to handle, the biggest problems have been dark dwellers and opposing walkers, both of which my recent tweaks have helped improve matchups.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
I put a Triskaidekaphobia in my draft deck for fun and lost a match I should have won to it. Real fun

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
heir to falkenrath is an insane card you should take them early and often

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

keeblerdrow posted:

Why not Oath of Gideon in some amount?

I'd like to put a couple in, but honestly I just have no idea what to cut. Maybe Angelic Purge? Everything else is an all star. I also won 2 games off the back of Advocate buffing Spires to a 4/3 double striker, and got to hear someone say "I would've won if it wasn't for Oath of Chandra" and mean it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I put a Triskaidekaphobia in my draft deck for fun and lost a match I should have won to it. Real fun

Counterpoint: I put a Triskaidekaphobia in my draft deck last night and won my first match with it. Real fun.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Can RG werewolves be competitive? The Atarka's Command /Collected Company should still be good enough to make something work.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

GoutPatrol posted:

Can RG werewolves be competitive? The Atarka's Command /Collected Company should still be good enough to make something work.

I've been trying it, it's waaaay too inconsistent and your opponent has too much control over when your wolves flip.

Fun deck when it works though.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is mono-white humans a real deck? I liked playing it in INN RTR standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
For a new player in MTGO, are there any free starter decks/cards?

• Locked thread