Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Oh man... That movie was among the worst ive ever seen. It ranks right up there with In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale.

Which despite the fact I love the unholy hell out of Jason Statham, I didn't even come CLOSE to watching. Also, Square/Enix's version of Dungeon Siege broke the unholy hell out of the game. I mean the point was you get the character you play. First thing they do? Add what is in effect three classes. It was lovely to look at, but not much fun to play.

drat, that makes me think of something. You know, that game. That one game with the lovely graphics (when they work) and zero fun... Goddamnit, you know the one. THAT game...

FINALLY! PAGE TOP!

WARNING - CIG CAT SNYPE DETECTED!

QUANTUM TRAVEL KITTEH INBOUND!

Yup, from the feed of actual CIG employees straight to your door! That's me, image host to table.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016
True story time. I might have been fired today.

So today at work I was doing a typical white techbro thing (cleaning the beer lines on our kegerators) and I got frustrated with the shallowness of the small glass bowl I was using to mix my beer line cleaner. So I browsed around and found an unused recycling bin and decided to use it as a bucket. I go into the microkitchen, but realize I'm retarded and there's no way I can fill this up in the sink because its too tall. Now, I KNOW there's a full shower downstairs I can use to fill this thing properly, but I'm as stubborn as I am stupid, so I decided "gently caress it, I'll just take two cups and trade off fillin' and dumpin' them into the bucket." So there I am, blooshin' away with my cups of hot water into a recycling bin in the middle of the most social area of the office, and people keep staring at me. Some girl walks in and gives me a particularly odd look, so I explain to her "Hey look - I'm just trying to clean some keg lines. I need a bucket full of water, so I'm using these cups to fill the bucket." She looks at me strangely for a moment, before laughing and saying "Hahaha how INNOVATIVE!" - without a hint of irony.

In the span of a single moment I was triggered. Flashes of design documents about CIG's "Zone System" flashed through across my vision. Images of needless crowd-funded star trek doors, Ben's devious visage licking his cracked lips at the chance of announcing another concept ship, and "Error 0 Disconnect" dialogue boxes consumed my sight. Reeling from the horrific and sudden onslaught, I momentarily seized and knocked over my bucket of hot water - sending its sudzy contents spilling across the floor in full view of my director and VP. Like a deer in headlights, I had to come up with SOMETHING, so I said "OH GOD CHRIST ROBERTS MADE ME DO IT- I'll FILE A TICKET TO GET IT CLEANED UP" and ran out the MK.

I don't think I'm coming into work on monday.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ravachol posted:

So today at work I was doing a typical white techbro thing (cleaning the beer lines on our kegerators) and I got frustrated with the shallowness of the small glass bowl I was using to mix my beer line cleaner. So I browsed around and found an unused recycling bin and decided to use it as a bucket. I go into the microkitchen, but realize I'm retarded and there's no way I can fill this up in the sink because its too tall. Now, I KNOW there's a full shower downstairs I can use to fill this thing properly, but I'm as stubborn as I am stupid, so I decided "gently caress it, I'll just take two cups and trade off fillin' and dumpin' them into the bucket." So there I am, blooshin' away with my cups of hot water into a recycling bin in the middle of the most social area of the office, and people keep staring at me. Some girl walks in and gives me a particularly odd look, so I explain to her "Hey look - I'm just trying to clean some keg lines. I need a bucket full of water, so I'm using these cups to fill the bucket." She looks at me strangely for a moment, before laughing and saying "Hahaha how INNOVATIVE!" - without a hint of irony.

In the span of a single moment I was triggered. Flashes of design documents about CIG's "Zone System" flashed through across my vision. Images of needless crowd-funded star trek doors, Ben's devious visage licking his cracked lips at the chance of announcing another concept ship, and "Error 0 Disconnect" dialogue boxes consumed my sight. Reeling from the horrific and sudden onslaught, I momentarily seized and knocked over my bucket of hot water - sending its sudzy contents spilling across the floor in full view of my director and VP. Like a deer in headlights, I had to come up with SOMETHING, so I said "OH GOD CHRIST ROBERTS MADE ME DO IT- I'll FILE A TICKET TO GET IT CLEANED UP" and ran out the MK.

wha?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

revmoo posted:

I think it's pretty plausible. Derek would HAVE to use a credit card in his name to have proper legal standing.

Look to see them tightening the noose on the grey market very soon if I'm right. It's become a liability.

Not really, I think. I think it could be quite possible, with the right judge, to say "Prove I DIDN'T buy it." And I suspect we all know, in our heart of hearts (except for Toops and Pgabz that can't ever be that incompetent) what their records actually look like.

And, frankly I am surprised/not surprised to see them take this long to realize the ramifications of the grey market. Surprised because it's several nails in their coffin (I am not a game economy grognard, not do I work in the game industry), but I could see the pain coming. Not surprised because a competent company with competent management would have either

A] Done the legwork and built it out, or
B] Seen the way the tide was rolling and quickly outlawed it, for lack of a better term.

Of course, you know, this is completely and totally the work of the Goons and the Good Doctor. (Which makes me giggle like a schoolgirl in the same room as her favorite synthetic boy band, as, refusing to have anything to do with Star Citizen (and, in fact, having such a crappy connect could probably NEVER be able to download the base client, much less the patches bigger than Ben's self loathing), so, yeah, Brown Sea, it's all on me.)

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

Chris Roberts ruined my life

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
are we being refactored

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ravachol posted:

Gonna be hearing that a lot in the next few years

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ravachol posted:

Go to work on Monday you idiot

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I wonder if UK authorities are interested in the grey market because so many UK shitizens use it to avoid paying VAT?

Dodging VAT is the main thing keeping it on life support atm.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BexGu posted:

At the speed this thread moves I feel like its its own forum self contained in games general.

What has happened besides the slow descent into bugs and madness?

Dude, we've ALWATS had Madness in the forum, since pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-alpha.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Berious posted:

I wonder if UK authorities are interested in the grey market because so many UK shitizens use it to avoid paying VAT?

Dodging VAT is the main thing keeping it on life support atm.

Nah if the market was the problem CIG could just remove gifting of ships without anyone blaming them

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kakarot posted:

Backer money, check the early videos

drat it! I know the video clip from Welcome To The Jungle, which was a 2007 DTV release. You can see them there, and they just ain't natural. OTOH, I don't want to be probated. You can see my dilemma, right? And I do believe '07 is prebacker, no?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Please do not mess with my Melkor notes.

I would advise everyone reading this thread to never engage SC fans in realtime dialogue. I've just tried to communicate with one on Discord and I feel like I need to take some beta blockers and lay the gently caress down.

Been there, done that. Luckily I have a script for beta blockers (and calcium channel blockers and some other stuff since my blood pressure REALLY sucks).

Also, still sort of curious what exact type of idiot Melkor has me down as.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

drat it! I know the video clip from Welcome To The Jungle, which was a 2007 DTV release. You can see them there, and they just ain't natural. OTOH, I don't want to be probated. You can see my dilemma, right? And I do believe '07 is prebacker, no?

Wait Sandi was actually in a movie?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Yeah... I have to be careful with cheeses because they tend to turn my dreams into Until Dawn levels of hosed up. I have a serious problem with hypnopompic hallucinations and holy loving poo poo can some of that stuff cause problems when you see it in real life. Not sure how to describe it accurately, but imagine waking up from a nightmare where this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fyxlYHamAw&t=1218s is coming after you, you wake up, but its still crawling on your wall looking at you. You know its not real, but you hear it, see it, and feel its breath on you.

Nothing quite like your heart racing at 190+ bpm right after something like that and then having a massive anxiety attack lasting for 6 hours after.

Stupid cool console games and I have no consoles. Especially since it was written by a fave of mine, Larry Fessenden.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Haskell9 posted:

I can't link to online guides worth a poo poo since I learned to do it in the 80's but text is my trigger. If I experience a "maybe dreaming" tell I try to read something. Dream text is always gibberish, at least for me. Once I see that I know I can do anything. Most times, 'anything' means waking up and shouting a curse word and getting punched by my girlfriend. When it doesn't though I'm briefly the Lawnmower Man. It's worth pursuing if nightmares really gently caress with you that badly.

Technically, ALL text is dreams are supposed to be garbage. The language centers of your brain don't get involved and the rest of your brain's all "Well, gently caress it, this'll do."

Kinda like CIG...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I go out to party, get home late and wake up in the morning to 30 new pages.

Could someone give me the cliffsnotes of WTF happened since 3252 before I get on with the task of catching up? :psyduck:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Codekeeper posted:

We don't make fun of him BECAUSE he's wide. It's because he works for a soul sucking scam and is complicit in shoveling poo poo to the masses.

His ability to generate his own gravity is just an easy target. Even if he was :perfect: he would receive the same treatment.

Probably worse, because the less that perfect goons would hate him out of sheer jealousy.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

Could someone give me the cliffsnotes of WTF happened since 3252 before I get on with the task of catching up? :psyduck:
Foundry 42 or CIG are not registered in Germany, and Twin Bros has been in the red since 2012.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Iglocska posted:

Seriously, screw you all. There is no way I can keep up with this thread :(

I guess CIG isnt paying you enough :smug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Langosta Paleface posted:

So much for Ben (and everyone else I guess) being human. If he were then you guys wouldn't gain so much joy from making GBS threads on him.

gently caress this thread I hope it dies etc.

I pretty much put him in the "just barely" category, downvoted because of his complicity in all this crap, and upvoted because he is apparently better at being married than I am and a lot of people say his wife is cool.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Experimental Skin posted:

Hallo! I bring a gift. I like short walks and skipping long posts.

I made this picture myself. The catte is not mine.

Full disclosure. I own both ED and SC and have been banned at various times from both forums. I still play ED, I uninstalled SC right after AC landed.

Back to lurking...

So when did you start working for CIG?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

MeLKoR posted:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Justin Tyme posted:

Wow, apologies, thread used to be poo poo but got good again

In case nobody else has noticed: In the past few days Derek actually put out a dollar amount of how much money he still has in SC (~$1200 or something). It's possible they saw that post, then closed the accounts of everyone with that dollar amount on their account who was active in the gray market. The timeline matches up at least I think. Just a thought, though I am pretty sure people with far less have been locked too.

I guess you didnt read the thread after all

D_Smart posted:

I already know the answer to that one, having spoken to my sources. We had a discussion in my private Discord channel today.

They saw my blog that I had ships. They freaked out because it means that I now have "standing" to sue them after May 31st; and which they think is what I alluded to in my blog about the May visit to a Federal (I didn't say which) building.

In between freaking out and calling me names, someone had the brilliant idea that the only way I could possibly have ships - especially since I "thanked" everyone - was by buying through Grey market, or being gifted.

less than 48hrs later?

- accounts getting locked

- resolution fee enforced

It's worse than that, but I can't explain the rest without further verification. Especially since we now have irrefutable evidence that CIG management and staff, have accounts here.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Ben is going to be forced to read this thread because of that website. Hes going to be so sad when the benfat jokes start to come out. Then he will be upset that we found out about his inner serial killer. Hes also not gonna be happy when I claimed he might be wearing that news anchor's skin way before Samizdata did.

Dude. The news anchor is SO NOT BIG ENOUGH. That's why I figure he was fattening the missus up. I mean, hell, he's already got the cleavage to do it.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

MeLKoR posted:

We found out about Ben and a news reporter.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

CrazyTolradi posted:

Foundry 42 or CIG are not registered in Germany, and Twin Bros has been in the red since 2012.

Hmmm, is this confirmed or is it one of those "secret sources told me this but I can't tell more about it. two weeks" things?

If confirmed then

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Pretty much. Theres a few smarter ones among the crowd, but ill be damned if i dont get my god damned turn with the pot on my head.

Same here, bro, same here. Except they point you at an actual person. I suspect my last 5 or so turns, once my eyes were closed, they pointed me at telephone poles, trees, and, I suspect, one moose.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

MeLKoR posted:

Hmmm, is this confirmed or is it one of those "secret sources told me this but I can't tell more about it. two weeks" things?

If confirmed then

Derek said this, however it wouldn't be too difficult to find out if companies are registered or not in Germany, or when they last filed their tax.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Skellybones posted:

Wait Sandi was actually in a movie?

Crap, dude/ette, yeah! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1667407/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1 16 actress credits. Almost none of them are named characters, per se, and there's a wee bit of TV, and... You're having me on, aren't you then?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

Crap, dude/ette, yeah! http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1667407/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1 16 actress credits. Almost none of them are named characters, per se, and there's a wee bit of TV, and... You're having me on, aren't you then?

I thought she just played an actor, on TV the internet.

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!
Hello SA. I have been lurking here for a while. Mostly because this thread is the best source for information (and funny stuff) about star citizen.

I never played Wing Commander or any other Chris Roberts game. Somehow these went all past me at the time. So i didn't even know who Chris Roberts was. When i first saw that Star Citizen annoucement in my news feed i had my doubts with their choice of engine. In my view, the whole idea only had a chance to lift up because of Chris Roberts name. If some no-name guy with the same skills as Chris Roberts tried to pull the same stunt, we would have never heard of the project ever again.
Still. I am not sure if the whole E.L.E will happen or not.
I expect something playable coming from CIG sooner or later. And obviously whatever that will be, it won't please every Star Citizen fan. Especially the hardcore fanbase. This is just impossible due to their conflicting views on how the game should turn out to be.

Actually i am quite certain that we will see a SQ42. The stuff works mostly in a singleplayer environment, but breaks exponentially as soon as their multiplayer is going on.

And since SQ42 is basically a single player game now after they FOR SOME REASON omitted the announced multiplayer coop play from it they can easily implement a lot of "fixes" quickly to make the game work most of the time without obvious bugs. And by "fixes" i mean workarounds which would just not work in multiplayer. Writing multiplayer games is exponentially harder than a single player game. So they can cut corners by using these workarounds.

However the time they waste with integrating these multiplayer breaking fixes in SQ42 just will delay the actual Star Citizen game even more - at one point they have to fix this again. And it will only get more messy from there.

I am not against what Chris Roberts is trying to do. Actually i would have loved to see that i am all wrong and Star Citizen would turn out to be an interesting and fun game to play. I am a Elite Dangerous player. Which most of the time is a fun game to play (especially in VR). It has it's flaws and can be really boring at times which i hope will begin to be addressed in their next patch.
We have a saying here in Germany. Not sure if there is an equivalent in english. "Konkurrenz belebt das Geschäft" which basically means "competition is good for business". Without some kind of competition i am sure Frontier would only invest half their time to improve Elite Dangerous. So that is atleast a good thing coming from Star Citizen so far.

----

And another thing: I am not certain if Derek is 100% right with his Foundry 42 Germany stuff.
Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this. I read wikis and google things.
Foundry 42 in Frankfurt seems to be an Ltd which is a UK company type. However you can do an Ltd in Germany as well. And yes, even as an Ltd company you have to send a yearly financial report to the "Bundesanzeiger". I couldn't find a record there though.
From what i found about Ltds in Germany it seems to be something that has very few advantages, but many disadvantages. Especially related to accounting and taxes. Since you basically have to that here in Germany and the UK as well.
Founding UK-Ltds seem to have been popular here in Germany prior to 2008. Since then some restrictions with our "GmbH" were lifted which seems to have made Ltd a lot less attractive in comparison.
But again, i am not an expert on this. My point is that an Ltd can exist in Germany as well. Doesn't have to be a GmbH.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Hi, shill :wave:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Kakarot posted:

woah harsh

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Justin Chambers - Editor

All his work earned him this SC wiki page
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Justin_Chambers
Compare to
http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Justin_Cobb

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
us shills stick together :patriot:

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Ravachol posted:

:golfclap:

DOCa Cola
Feb 25, 2016

I am Ben Lesnicks wife, Alex IRL
Ask me anything!

Kakarot posted:

Hi, Derek :wave:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

TTerrible posted: