Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

panda clue posted:

decided to read the most recent page to see if this thread was worth reading or not

guess not

I think that sentiment is dumb, btw :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Estraysian posted:

If you found the underground temple surrounded by a toxic pool there's an open window you can jump into from the roof.

I did not find this, either I missed something or I have to go through the profane capital and it links back around? I'd been avoiding going to the capital till I cleared out the dungeon, but now I'm not sure...

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

actionjackson posted:

So how do you beat them?

Edit: I'm a melee only character

You don't need stats, just equip whatever bow or crossbow and shoot the left one to aggro it.

Obligatum VII posted:

Ok, I give up, I'm completely at a loss on this one, question regarding Ithryll Dungeon:
How the heck do you reach siegward to let him out? I found the old cell key, but I can't find a path to him. All the locked doors I encountered won't open with it. Also why can't I use the dragon torso stone I found? It's always greyed out.

You need to take off your armor to use the dragon torso stone.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Obligatum VII posted:

I did not find this, either I missed something or I have to go through the profane capital and it links back around? I'd been avoiding going to the capital till I cleared out the dungeon, but now I'm not sure...

Oh yeah you have to go through Profaned Capital to get there.

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I've been trying to co-op Dragonslayer Armor for like half an hour now and half my attempts have been to worlds where the host is floating around and I can't enter, the other half is people summoning 3 players and the boss oneshotting all of us.

This is not jolly at all :sigh:

I had a different problem - the host would try to summon 3+ phantoms, jacking the health of the boss up and making the fight harder than it would be with just one other sunbro

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Thumbtacks posted:

spoilers for optional boss

hypermode's back boys

For each full burst of damage, pyro with a +5 glove, 30 int, 10 faith would have had that beat with two throws of Chaos Bed Vestiges :smith:

Working on a 99INT madness build that has very few points in other stats but it's still Pyro I end up using on that one. Everything but melee and pyro is a waste of time and effort. At least it'll be good to keep around for the day they unfuck things.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 16, 2016

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Oh man, time to take a break. I've been ticked off at a few fights, but in a 'I see how to improve' way. Dancer is just something else. Something like 10 fights a row getting grabbed and one-shot while in the middle of a roll. Need to chill out before I headbutt my monitor.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Any good lps going yet? I'd like to see how people are reacting to some of the early gotchas.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I found knight guy in the catacombs looking for his pal Horace. While going through the Lake I found him and dealt with Horace's problem, but now I can't find the knight where he was before. Where did he wander off too?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
gently caress invaders with an estoc

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

The ice knight guy in Undead Settlement?

gently caress that guy.

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

So I found knight guy in the catacombs looking for his pal Horace. While going through the Lake I found him and dealt with Horace's problem, but now I can't find the knight where he was before. Where did he wander off too?

He continued to the next area, very hard to miss.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Oh man, time to take a break. I've been ticked off at a few fights, but in a 'I see how to improve' way. Dancer is just something else. Something like 10 fights a row getting grabbed and one-shot while in the middle of a roll. Need to chill out before I headbutt my monitor.

Look on the bright side. Once she exits phase 1, she loses her grab...and gets a variety of other, faster attacks that can one-shot you.

Dancer was the only boss to give me major problems. I ended up switching to a bandit dagger and bleeding her to death.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Thumbtacks posted:

spoilers for optional boss

hypermode's back boys

This guy not just cssing the dragon twice in the head, v-attacking, then finishing it off with one more css instead of letting it jump around everywhere is um????

e: Also getting hit by EVERYTHING

turtlecrunch fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 16, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

God loving drat Wolnir is such a piece of poo poo boss I hate this so goddamn much. I wish there was literally anything else for me to do other than beat my head against him, but this game is way more linear.

I can't even summons someone for some weird reason, it's really frustrating.

literally right after making this post I killed him so I guess complaining helps. Still took like 15 tries.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 16, 2016

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
drat, the Dragon Barracks area is great for invading if you like to abuse mobs and white branches for your honorable red invader kills.

The white branch includes boxes, candleabras, and other non-obvious items that litter the area. I've taken a liking to hiding on the black abyss stuck on the dragon's toe. It's surrounded by boxes, and since it's got some aoe attacks that stun most melee builds you can very easily pop out and murder the host with no fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Estraysian posted:

He continued to the next area, very hard to miss.

I've already cleared all of Irythll so finding him would require running through it again. Anyone got a specific location?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Internet Kraken posted:

I've already cleared all of Irythll so finding him would require running through it again. Anyone got a specific location?

Anri? I think you have to speak to her in catacombs twice before you go hunt down Horace. She shows up in some other location. I've managed to fail the quest twice now though, so my advice may be moot.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
20 shackles to go...this is going to take forever

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Paul Zuvella posted:

God loving drat Wolnir is such a piece of poo poo boss I hate this so goddamn much. I wish there was literally anything else for me to do other than beat my head against him, but this game is way more linear.

I can't even summons someone for some weird reason, it's really frustrating.

Did you figure out the gimmick?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think to summon for that boss you have to do it from outside the room

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
fyi if youre stuck on a boss solo its likely you're underlevelled

The pope is a chump with a few levels.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Internet Kraken posted:

There is an npc in the catacombs? Have I missed it if u killed the boss?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

HellCopter posted:

Did you figure out the gimmick?

Yes

voltcatfish posted:

I think to summon for that boss you have to do it from outside the room

and yeah, I touch the summon signs and it fails to connect me everytime. Could be a network problem, though.

I ended up just popping Iron flesh to tank his bullshit dark storm cloud so it worked out in the end.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
that boss doesnt aim even half of his attacks at you though ..

RME
Feb 20, 2012

il serpente cosmico posted:

Regarding the complaints that the large STR weapons are no longer viable, I seem to recall that DEX weapons in Dark Souls 2 were pretty underpowered compared to their Dark Souls 1 counterparts. The pendulum swings?

str weapons were very good in dks2 pve because a disproportionate amount of the enemies were armored and basically got permastaggered from clubbing them to death, but were hard to stagger and do damage with more traditional dex style weapons
also if you played the pc version and got enough fps your durability went to poo poo which mattered way more on dex weapons since they generally have much lower durability

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Most people are happy with it, but there are some complaints that STR and magic are nerfed compared to DS2. Here's a good summary of the complaints about the game. This quote is taken from the Poise page on the wiki:

I think this sentiment is pretty dumb, and I seem to recall similar complaints about every new game in the series.

i meant, like, discord chat channel https://discordapp.com/

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Monomythian posted:

Yep.

The flow of the game is different, it's MUCH more aggressive and actiony as opposed to dungeon crawly survival now. Unlike the previous entries, being cautious is not rewarded, in fact doing so will often just give the mobs the opportunity to use their hyper poise infinite stamina hit box tracking combos that practically one shot you. There are countless times you will win not because of your skill but just because the mob decided to stop swinging long enough for you to stagger it to death.

Caution is rewarded, being a turtling baby is not. There are tons of situations in the games were approaching carefully will allow you to whittle down the enemy's numbers by a little or a lot, but once you've actually started combat you need to be aggressive. Which is good, since turtling is boring as hell and should be discouraged.

quote:

The basic mechanics feel unfinished. Small weapons doing as much stagger and damage as larger ones is obviously the one people keep bringing up, buts it's everything. I'm not talking a few overpowered outliners from DS2 like the Bat Staff, Avalyns or Crystal Sword, scaling is incorrectly implemented across the board for entire styles of game play, such as Magic.

Eh, balance could be adjusted a little but it's mostly fine. I'd say the only big issue with weapons is that greatswords and ultra greatswords need to be a bit stronger, otherwise things are fine. Magic is fine, too. Miracles are quite strong once you have a good amount of Faith, and Sorcery is still fantastic for taking down enemies without letting them get close. It doesn't work for everything of course, but what it does work with it works in spades. And Pyromancy is as strong as ever.

quote:

All the fun tools have been removed or nerfed to uselessness. Even the trusty bow which has been a staple of my character since DeS probably got me killed more times DS3 then I found it useful. It just really bummed me out that I was punished for trying to be creative, and the most effective method for EVERYTHING was just to dodge into R1 spam with straightsword.

Bows are still good. R1 spamming with a straight sword or weapon of equivalent speed has always been the go-to strategy in these games, for both PVE and PVP.

quote:

This is not even the can of worms that is PvP, which ontop of being a lagfest, right now the most effective way to kill someone is, again, just dodge into R1 spam with straightsword. Even then its tedious as all hell because theres no way to punish chugging or runners.

Don't get the wrong, the meat and potatoes of the experience is there, but the balance is terrible.

Again, R1 spamming has always been one of the most effective strategies in PVP in all of these games. The PVP has always had an incredibly low skill floor, only mostly made up for its relatively high skill ceiling.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Genocyber posted:

Bows are still good.

pro tip: try the composite bow and immediately firing after a roll. you're welcome.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Removing poise from weapons was a really bizarre change

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
What should I do next, Farron's Keep or the Cathedral?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I agree that DkS1 makes more sense and is more cohesive, but Dark Souls 2's story was completely bewildering and had a negligible relationship to the first game especially prior to the DLC being finished

The gist of it seems to be that Dark Souls 1 and 3 are primarily about the First Flame and the cycle of Linking the Fire, Dark Souls 2 is focused on asking the question "What IS the Curse of Undeath and how can it be overcome?" and the issue of the Flame is secondary.

From what I've read elsewhere, DS2 makes a lot more sense for someone coming from a non-Christian background because it seems to be asserting that the Curse of Undeath is want, materialism, worldly attachment and that conversely dragons are enlightened bodhissatva-esque beings who have seen the true shape of the universe or something of that nature and are not bound by Want, the recurring keyword of Dark Souls 2. It's been a while since I really dug into it.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Why are human enemies so drat tall in DS3? :shrug:

All these fuckers are 10+ feet easy.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

King o f the Storm so there's literally no way to avoid this fire besides not being the guy he decides needs a flame bath?

Phase 2: so nobody has ever beaten this, yes?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

This is it, this is the moment i realized how amazing it was that i was alive during the launch week of what is clearly the best loving game that we, as a species, have been graced with. loving amazing rainbow battle.

i had another fun time in the undead settlement just now, i was invaded by a fellow purplebro, i had the way of the blue mark on so that guy game in and i summoned another regular dude so purplebro could get his meat. purplebro seemed sad that he had invaded some scum player summoning dudes at first until he realized i wasn't fighting, i was just walking around using the clap gesture all the time to really drive it home. this loving game, man. best gestures in the series too. clapping is so satisfying.

also best is in high wall near vordt, using purplebro summon stone, fighting a few monsters with the host and then backstabbing them before they realize their mistake.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

What should I do next, Farron's Keep or the Cathedral?

I found Farrons Keep way easier than Cathedral but it depends a bit on your build and weapons. Farrons has the swamp, Cathedral is punishing in different ways.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Krinkle posted:

King o f the Storm so there's literally no way to avoid this fire besides not being the guy he decides needs a flame bath?

Who? Do you mean Yhorm?

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Krinkle posted:

I staggered him and visceral stabbed him in the face. Wasn't very hard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Captain Oblivious posted:

The gist of it seems to be that Dark Souls 1 and 3 are primarily about the First Flame and the cycle of Linking the Fire, Dark Souls 2 is focused on asking the question "What IS the Curse of Undeath and how can it be overcome?" and the issue of the Flame is secondary.

From what I've read elsewhere, DS2 makes a lot more sense for someone coming from a non-Christian background because it seems to be asserting that the Curse of Undeath is want, materialism, worldly attachment and that conversely dragons are enlightened bodhissatva-esque beings who have seen the true shape of the universe or something of that nature and are not bound by Want, the recurring keyword of Dark Souls 2. It's been a while since I really dug into it.

Yeah if you think back to DS1, I remember a lot of people not really understanding the nature of the undead curse and what it meant. So in DS2 they really went into how lovely being an undead would be and the eventual fate of going hollow.

Dandywalken posted:

Because something From apparently discovered is that taller enemies work better in these games since its easier to read their animations. and it also means they can reuse Bloodborne animations

It is really odd that even lovely baisc hollows stand over you now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Stand back, I'm a professional
https://fat.gfycat.com/CapitalGlamorousBighorn.webm

Dandywalken posted:

asset reuse