Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer
What you'd do if you had a modicum of sense and PR-skills, is it:

a) Immediately delete the whole thing, issue an apology (not a mealy-mouthed "heh sorry if you were offended") and own up to your stupidity but press on the fact that you've changed and learend from your mistakes?

b) Tweet "heh, look at my funny old site", keep it up, and then issue the worlds worst non-apology after people keep pressing you on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

boviscopophobic posted:

I forget who said it (maybe it was EightAce) but it seems that you're tainted if you worked on a failed project -- either you didn't have the initiative to leave earlier, or else you're part of the problem. Presumably this is why the rats still aboard the sinking ship are having trouble finding somewhere to jump to.

Also, it's possible that Sandi was the reason J How wasn't hired to fix their problems with the Persistent Universe. :laffo:

Ah now i remember the dude, that was one interesting story.
He also pointed out how some new job openings where listed, specifically for a certain type of server architecture. Which he said, if they still haven't found someone for that they are indeed screwed... well that was the gist.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

grimcreaper posted:

Im glad that my heritage can be a part of the Note Cards that CiG keeps on SA users. And Melkors.. I think it was Melkor who said he keeps notes. I dont know anymore. Yesterday was filled with so much info i just cant hold onto it all.

Melkor was the note dude.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

moveable shape posted:

counter attack scone recipe:

These are 'Pecan Pie' scones which just means chopped pecans in the dough and caramel folded in after everything is mixed and rolled out. I'm to lazy to write the full recipe but it's from Rose Levy Barenbaum's Bread Bible (amazing book get it immediately if you want to bread)

http://m.cookstr.com/recipes/flaky-scones

looks disgusting, but good

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4f2rlb/bens_old_jokes_and_ds_reaction/d2651vf?context=3

Is it true, are we the real pedos? :ohdear:

I know very little about this whole thing and what I've heard has come from this thread.

Guy from AA was outed as a pedo (grooming a 15y old for sex), (almost) everyone was "gently caress this guy"
Guild leader tried to sweep it under the rug, because the guy gave the the guild wool. Also it "didn't even happen ina merica"
Imp zone swooped in to save the day. Also Eonwe and Kimsemus

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Wuxi posted:

Guy from AA was outed as a pedo (grooming a 15y old for sex), (almost) everyone was "gently caress this guy"
Guild leader tried to sweep it under the rug, because the guy gave the the guild wool. Also it "didn't even happen ina merica"

Dang...

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Oh man, that talk of old thread happenings made me remember the time in 2014 where I said the game was vaporware and a dozen of you fuckers jumped on me. :hfive:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Necklace.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Wuxi posted:

Please name and shame the guild leader. (Only SA account nickname, no doxing please)

STIMSIS
Feb 27, 2016
Fallen Rib
Ben-Ghazi is sad proof that humanity is doomed because we too easily allow ourselves to be led to hate. Derek Smart, self-proclaimed old-school internet warlord is leading the charge on this hate offensive and I wonder how he can get anyone to enlist? This is the same Derek Smart who appeared with Vox Day on a webinar.

Vox Day, if you don't know, is a racist misogynist filth lord by the name of Theodore Beale whose only claim to fame is being kicked out of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America for trying to hijack the Hugos to include more right-wing writers and suppress female and minority writers.

Vox Day wrote a book, “SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police” yet here is Derek Smart leading a thought police campaign against Ben Lesnick for racism. Bah! Derek Smart will gladly sit down and talk nice with racists if they stroke his ego. Ben Lesnick doesn't; he can't!; look at those tiny T-rex arms, they're barely serviceable for basic hygiene, how's Ben gonna jerk off Derek's massive ego-cock?

You know what's the really sad part. I can't link to that Vox Day webinar that Derek was on. Let's hear Derek himself explain it:

D_Smart posted:

There are no "page hits". It's a live webinar. And it's not recorded for posting anywhere, since that's not how those work. So if you don't attend, you won't know what's being said. :(

Yet, I can read all of Ben Lesnick's poo poo FROM YEARS AGO!!! Ben Lesnick, whose job it is to censor people, has more content posted than the “free-speech” proponents Derek Smart and Vox Day?! Ben Lesnick even has a link to the original usenet thread where his Wing Commander guild formed. Sure, the page containing the link holds this gem:

"Loaf" is one of the Tiger Claw pilots in Peter Telep's Pilgrim Truth. For much of the book I'm suspected of beating Freddie Prinze Jr. with a pipe in a hate crime, but it eventually turns out I didn't. So, it's not really true to life.”

but at least Ben Lesnick acknowledges the existence of hate crimes. I can't say the same for Vox Day!

I think what's happening now is a release of anger that has been suppressed for far too long. Derek's decision to go on Vox Day was not popular:

MyPants posted:

You have no problems with someone who thinks that you and I are subhuman trash because of our race?

That's really dumb! You should have a problem with this! How do you not have a problem with this? You are going to change no one's mind by talking to this guy. How do you not see this? You're only going to hurt yourself and give him a platform. I'm sure CIG is salivating at you being so gosh dang dense. This is dumb no matter how you look at it.

Derek's response

D_Smart posted:

I disagree. And it's HIS platform. I got invited.

D_Smart posted:

I am just going to say it. I love all of you here. Simple reason being, even when we all don't agree on everything, even when poo poo goes to South real fast, it's just us. Remember, I was around back when Lowtax and me were, well, on opposite sides of the same retarded coin with both sides the same.

That said, I have read everyone's objections and while they are appreciated, I find them to be unfounded (I'm not going to say ridiculous, given that, well, this is the SA forum. everything is retarded) and without (I'm not doing this to support VD's opinions about anything, because those opinions are his) merit.

I will be fine. If nothing else, you all should come because you will be supporting me as I find yet another outlet to tell this Star Citizen story as well as the reasons I'm still engaged in it. So why not look at it that way?

“Yet another outlet to tell this Star Citizen story?” he said. Ha! As if the gaming press was falling all over itself to speak with Derek, because on April 14th Mr. Smart was like, “So, to all you “media” who now want to talk, here is my response: F*CK YOU.”

Ben-Ghazi happens and now Derek is all about, “I'm writing a blog. Then I'm going to send it over to @BreitbartNews and @BreitbartTech with everything wrapped up in a nice package.”

Please don't let Derek get away with this bullshit. Derek's playing both sides of the retarded coin on this one and he must be punished. Derek doesn't even have the god drat courtesy to update the OP when he's calling for someone's job!

DOWN WITH DEREK!

UP WITH GORF FOR OP!!!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

I'm amazed how far away that coke is from chris.....

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

STIMSIS posted:

Ben-Ghazi is sad proof that humanity is doomed because we too easily allow ourselves to be led to hate. Derek Smart, self-proclaimed old-school internet warlord is leading the charge on this hate offensive and I wonder how he can get anyone to enlist? This is the same Derek Smart who appeared with Vox Day on a webinar.

Vox Day, if you don't know, is a racist misogynist filth lord by the name of Theodore Beale whose only claim to fame is being kicked out of Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America for trying to hijack the Hugos to include more right-wing writers and suppress female and minority writers.

Vox Day wrote a book, “SJWs Always Lie: Taking Down the Thought Police” yet here is Derek Smart leading a thought police campaign against Ben Lesnick for racism. Bah! Derek Smart will gladly sit down and talk nice with racists if they stroke his ego. Ben Lesnick doesn't; he can't!; look at those tiny T-rex arms, they're barely serviceable for basic hygiene, how's Ben gonna jerk off Derek's massive ego-cock?

You know what's the really sad part. I can't link to that Vox Day webinar that Derek was on. Let's hear Derek himself explain it:

Yet, I can read all of Ben Lesnick's poo poo FROM YEARS AGO!!! Ben Lesnick, whose job it is to censor people, has more content posted than the “free-speech” proponents Derek Smart and Vox Day?! Ben Lesnick even has a link to the original usenet thread where his Wing Commander guild formed. Sure, the page containing the link holds this gem:

"Loaf" is one of the Tiger Claw pilots in Peter Telep's Pilgrim Truth. For much of the book I'm suspected of beating Freddie Prinze Jr. with a pipe in a hate crime, but it eventually turns out I didn't. So, it's not really true to life.”

but at least Ben Lesnick acknowledges the existence of hate crimes. I can't say the same for Vox Day!

I think what's happening now is a release of anger that has been suppressed for far too long. Derek's decision to go on Vox Day was not popular:

Derek's response

“Yet another outlet to tell this Star Citizen story?” he said. Ha! As if the gaming press was falling all over itself to speak with Derek, because on April 14th Mr. Smart was like, “So, to all you “media” who now want to talk, here is my response: F*CK YOU.”

Ben-Ghazi happens and now Derek is all about, “I'm writing a blog. Then I'm going to send it over to @BreitbartNews and @BreitbartTech with everything wrapped up in a nice package.”

Please don't let Derek get away with this bullshit. Derek's playing both sides of the retarded coin on this one and he must be punished. Derek doesn't even have the god drat courtesy to update the OP when he's calling for someone's job!

DOWN WITH DEREK!

UP WITH GORF FOR OP!!!

:effort:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yeah, Malcolm McDowell probably isn't *that* expensive. Although he's supposedly sort of a jerk <G> He refused to record voices for WCA with the rest of the cast. #17462

Wonder why.

I wore... a normal shirt and they put a fake tuxedo over it. It may have been the worst picture ever taken. #16993

Not even in the top 100 by a long shot...
Remember that Simpsons gag about a film star and fish?

I dreampt that my blue gourami floated out of its tank and kissed me on the forehead while I was asleep:( #19358

Remember that time someone on CIG forums talked about leeching bandwidth from the elderly?

A family thing, goodbye to me and my brother and such. My grandmother said I could use her credit card to buy plane tickets if I ever wanted to come home, so I figure we can afford that convention now... #16378

My grandmother gave me her credit card so I can get plane tickets home if I ever need to, so I'm going to go to Vegas a lot. #16507

:allears:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A huge rambling effort post as your first ever post in these forums and its all horrible. You've lurked for 2 months and yet learned nothing

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 17, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4f2rlb/bens_old_jokes_and_ds_reaction/d2651vf?context=3

Is it true, are we the real pedos? :ohdear:

I know very little about this whole thing and what I've heard has come from this thread.

But seriously though, accusing the SC thread goons as being the same group as the MMO goons is like saying r/dereksmart is comprised of the same redditors who were regulars on r/jailbait. I've only heard stories about how the incident went down but Imp Zone tore into the archeage goons over it and there's much more observable overlap between the goons making fun of star citizen and the goons who went after the pedo than goons who defended him.

For starters we have Eonwe, they don't.

And to put it in perspective, I can honestly say that while I sympathize with Postapocalyptic_sky for their experiences with the archeage goon guild I view star citizen backers in as dim a view, morally, as I do the archeage goons. I can't really speak for the thread but I'd wager nobody else would complain if you were to share that sentiment as representative of the thread's overall mood. see: right now, with Ben-ghazi Basically, we're on the side of those goons who were trying to clean up this poo poo and have never really changed course from that, while Postapocalyptic_sky has basically become that which they hate, a defender of a toxic, public embarrassment.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

STIMSIS posted:

Derek's response

DOWN WITH DEREK!

UP WITH GORF FOR OP!!!

Get a load of this guy not only did he not find Derek Smart talking to a lunatic hilarious he thinks it's comparable to Ben working with theschool aged children he was 'ironically' posting about raping. Might want some prospective there buddy

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Sorry, I don't read long posts from people who don't have PLATINUM accounts

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

STIMSIS posted:

Please don't let Derek get away with this bullshit.

Hey STIMSIS, which ships you got?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

STIMSIS posted:

Derek's response

DOWN WITH DEREK!

UP WITH GORF FOR OP!!!

lmao

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Please name and shame the guild leader. (Only SA account nickname, no doxing please)

No idea. Whole thing is in the gas chamber, but I don't have plat and I'm not going to look for it by hand. Maybe Eonwe remembers

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wouldn't expect anything less painful from the Stimsis.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Wuxi posted:

No idea. Whole thing is in the gas chamber, but I don't have plat and I'm not going to look for it by hand. Maybe Eonwe remembers

Eonwe never forgets

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I guess some redditor who was lurking for juicy deets just got fed up with that gosh darn Derek Smart and decided to vent his indignation

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/561350216394100736

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

That post reads like something you would find scratched into the walls of an insane asylum patient's cell in a low budget horror film

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Lol, that makes his acting career better then Sandi's.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

That post reads like something you would find scratched into the walls of an insane asylum patient's cell in a low budget horror film

Even spent quite a few words trying to remind people about the Vox Day thing

Which the thread barely even remembers because of how much of a nothing occasion it was. Even in terms of outside drama to laugh at.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Benghazi has been a long time in the making:

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

STIMSIS posted:

he must be punished.

deskeletonisation begins at dawn

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Chocobo posted:

Benghazi has been a long time in the making:

You know that's a joke, right?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

like when Derek had that interview with Vox Day neither of them even had the decency to live up to their horrible reputations

the whole thing came and went like a fart in the wind

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

AP posted:

I think maybe :thejoke: ?

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

AP posted:

Paywall is up, no need to be coy

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

AP posted:

I acknowledge the presence of this thing the humans call "hu-mour."

The post about the Lauresh banning incident made me dig back through the relevant thread. Turns out Lauresh was a shitbird that reported a couple hundred people with rude/profane report messages and the probation was probably warranted. The ladies org thread being closed is entirely unjustifiable Lesnick shittery, though. I concede that I was incorrect in my previous recollection of these events.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 17, 2016

cmdr_vinman
Mar 24, 2016

Alien embryos are yum!!
Oops

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Chocobo posted:

I acknowledge the presence of this thing the humans call "hu-mour."

Just checking, you were complaining about being jumped in the thread in 2014 and then immediately posted that. I figured some things might be going over your head.

Chocobo posted:

The post about the Lauresh banning incident made me dig back through the relevant thread. Turns out Lauresh was a shitbird that reported a couple hundred people with rude/profane report messages and the probation was probably warranted.

That's not what happened at all.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
wow all this is real hosed up

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

T.G. Xarbala posted:

like when Derek had that interview with Vox Day neither of them even had the decency to live up to their horrible reputations

the whole thing came and went like a fart in the wind

Yeah, I remember being all at the edge of my seats about how he's totally gonna wreck his own efforts by doing this, but as it turns out you just mustn't be as stupid and a genuine shitbag like :lesnick: to not reinforce your horrible reputation.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

AP posted:

Yes...joke...heh *wink wink*.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

mike12345 posted:

looks disgusting, but good

It's basically a stoner twist on the base recipe which uses something proper like currants or cranberries. These look like they just took a hail of gunfire and are bleeding out

The caramel that pooled around them was hardened and crunchy and amazing - they were great with ice cream and :420:

• Locked thread